Garrison Bulldogs (2-2) @ Joaquin Rams (4-0)

trueblue82

Garrison Bulldogs (2-2) at Joaquin Rams (4-0)   

39 members have voted

1. 1. Rams or Dogs?

• Garrison Bulldogs
    • Joaquin Rams

The Bulldogs visit the friendly confines of Ram Stadium to open district play for the second year in a row. The Bulldogs come in off of a blowout win over Groveton (60-21). They also have a 36-0 win over Arp to hang their hat on. Losses include a 47-6 pounding by Waskom (4-0) and a 28-20 heartbreaker to Crockett (3-1). The Rams pounded the Dogs 47-20 a year ago, avenging a 44-14 loss at Garrison in ‘18. Coach Alvarez definitely looks to have the Bulldogs getting back to their smash-mouth roots. The Rams come in unbeaten and largely untested. The only competitive game they’ve been in was their 8-6 season opener over Beckville (3-2), who now looks like the favorite to win District 9AA D1. Since then, the Rams have blown out 2-3 Groveton (41-0), 3-2 Ore City (37-0), and 2-3 Clarksville (40-14). The Bulldogs represent a big step up in competition from those last three, as they have the capacity to match up in the trenches with the Rams. The Rams are using a 5-headed monster for a run game this year, with senior Travon Jasmine leading the way. Sophomores Cole Bragg, Malik Stotts, Andre Brown and freshman Gauge Jordan all seem to be splitting carries pretty evenly. Meanwhile, the Ram defense has given up a total of 9 points on the year, doing a good job of swarming to the football to shut down run games. The touchdown that Clarksville scored was a fumble return. Who gets to 1-0 to kick off the toughest AA district in East Texas? 

A lot of young players on several teams hit hard by graduation are growing up fast .... Garrison has so many playing on the varsity that I heard the JV only has 12 players .... Several freshmen and sophomores are contributing big time for the Dawgs ... depth is the real issue .... I really like the new offensive scheme, wish we had been running this with Porter and the Watts brothers ... but that's history ... Joe Quinn probably has the upper hand, but you never count the Dawgs out ... the defense is really stepping up and flying to the ball ... Joe's offense will make it tougher and the players will need to play disciplined to find the ball carrier ... There won't be any push overs with the Rams, Bears, Dragons and Woofs on the schedule ... just hoping for no serious injuries Friday and may the best team come out on top ....

Edited by KirtFalcon
yo mama
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

A lot of young players on several teams hit hard by graduation are growing up fast .... Garrison has so many playing on the varsity that I heard the JV only has 12 players .... Several freshmen and sophomores are contributing big time for the Dawgs ... depth is the real issue .... I really like the new offensive scheme, wish we had been running this with Porter and the Watts brothers ... but that's history ... Joe Quinn probably has the upper hand, but you never count the Dawgs out ... the defense is really stepping up and flying to the ball ... Joe's offense will make it tougher and the players will need to play disciplined to find the ball carrier ... There won't be any push overs with the Rams, Bears, Dragons and Woofs on the schedule ... just hoping for no serious injuries Friday and may the best team come out on top ....

I certainly would not have wanted to face Porter and the Watts twins in a power run scheme behind that ‘18 O-line. That would be difficult to stop. I think this one is gonna be a good game. 

3 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

I certainly would not have wanted to face Porter and the Watts twins in a power run scheme behind that ‘18 O-line. That would be difficult to stop. I think this one is gonna be a good game. 

They’re running the same run plays.  Power, counter, buck, scat.  All wing-t stuff, same as the previous coaching staff.  Alvarez does the hand offs different, and has some different formations, but it’s the same plays and blocking schemes as the way dad and them ran it.  I do like the formations that Brandon lines up in, though.  Kirt is right, too.  Lots of promise in the JV and middle school.  Things are looking up for Garrison football. Gonna take the dogs in a close one, they’ve improved every week it seems

8 hours ago, Bulldog64 said:

They’re running the same run plays.  Power, counter, buck, scat.  All wing-t stuff, same as the previous coaching staff.  Alvarez does the hand offs different, and has some different formations, but it’s the same plays and blocking schemes as the way dad and them ran it.  I do like the formations that Brandon lines up in, though.  Kirt is right, too.  Lots of promise in the JV and middle school.  Things are looking up for Garrison football. Gonna take the dogs in a close one, they’ve improved every week it seems

:BS: .... They aren't running the same direct snap, one man running attack, they are mixing it up running misdirection crossing plays and spreading the ball around making it difficult to defend because several backs all have to be accounted for .... the blocking schemes may be similar, but what's happening in the backfield is very different .... what they were running the past two years was as predictable as water running downhill, especially last year .... that's past history and is over, thank goodness .... I am ready to move forward with great success , it will only get better as the younger player are really stepping up ....

2 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

:BS: .... They aren't running the same direct snap, one man running attack, they are mixing it up running misdirection crossing plays and spreading the ball around making it difficult to defend because several backs all have to be accounted for .... the blocking schemes may be similar, but what's happening in the backfield is very different .... what they were running the past two years was as predictable as water running downhill, especially last year .... that's past history and is over, thank goodness .... I am ready to move forward with great success , it will only get better as the younger player are really stepping 

I’m not going to respond to that comment about the direct snap because this is not the place to have an argument, and I have no desire to argue with you about it anyway.  My comment was just addressing his comment about wishing Garrison would’ve run more power schemes with Porter, because fundamentally they’re running the same plays.  Difference is Alvarez just includes more of the eye candy stuff that’s more typical with the traditional wing t offenses, which I’m guessing you prefer, and not the adapted wing t that was run by the previous staff.  Both have advantages and disadvantages.  I quite like the adapted wing t that dad (if you hadn’t figured out who I am yet lol) chose to run.  Both are good offenses that emphasize hard nosed football, though, which is fairly in the mold for Garrison.

yes, the young kids look like they’re getting better each week.  Really looks like Cermoderick (spelling?) has taken a step forward, and is helping the offense click.  Offensive line and skill positions have more size overall this year, which is nice to have some size back, and I think two freshmen on the starting offensive line!  That’s exciting.

I hope you’re well, Kirt!  

On 9/26/2020 at 8:31 AM, trueblue82 said:

The Bulldogs visit the friendly confines of Ram Stadium to open district play for the second year in a row. The Bulldogs come in off of a blowout win over Groveton (60-21). They also have a 36-0 win over Arp to hang their hat on. Losses include a 47-6 pounding by Waskom (4-0) and a 28-20 heartbreaker to Crockett (3-1). The Rams pounded the Dogs 47-20 a year ago, avenging a 44-14 loss at Garrison in ‘18. Coach Alvarez definitely looks to have the Bulldogs getting back to their smash-mouth roots. The Rams come in unbeaten and largely untested. The only competitive game they’ve been in was their 8-6 season opener over Beckville (3-2), who now looks like the favorite to win District 9AA D1. Since then, the Rams have blown out 2-3 Groveton (41-0), 3-2 Ore City (37-0), and 2-3 Clarksville (40-14). The Bulldogs represent a big step up in competition from those last three, as they have the capacity to match up in the trenches with the Rams. The Rams are using a 5-headed monster for a run game this year, with senior Travon Jasmine leading the way. Sophomores Cole Bragg, Malik Stotts, Andre Brown and freshman Gauge Jordan all seem to be splitting carries pretty evenly. Meanwhile, the Ram defense has given up a total of 9 points on the year, doing a good job of swarming to the football to shut down run games. The touchdown that Clarksville scored was a fumble return. Who gets to 1-0 to kick off the toughest AA district in East Texas? 

Dam Groveton was waaaaaay over ranked