Carthage @ Pleasant Grove

CDAWG68

Carthage @ Pleasant Grove  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick to win this battle?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/03/2020 at 12:00 AM

21 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Been a long time since I picked against Carthage but I'm taking PG in a close one. 

What have you seen in PG that makes them stand out? I haven't been impressed with PG Offensively. If PG cannot get the run game going and slow the game down it well be a blowout! PG QB is not a great passer. The Carthage Defense is on fire 🔥 right now and playing great! If they force PG into passing it over!! PG Defensive line is definitely elite! I've very interested in OL and DL match up! I just believe Carthage is on a greater level than PG! Until PG beats Carthage they will always just be runner up in my book. PG has definitely built 💪 a great program, State Championship and I respect that. BUT beat Carthage!!!

11 minutes ago, itmoney100 said:

What have you seen in PG that makes them stand out? I haven't been impressed with PG Offensively. If PG cannot get the run game going and slow the game down it well be a blowout! PG QB is not a great passer. The Carthage Defense is on fire 🔥 right now and playing great! If they force PG into passing it over!! PG Defensive line is definitely elite! I've very interested in OL and DL match up! I just believe Carthage is on a greater level than PG! Until PG beats Carthage they will always just be runner up in my book. PG has definitely built 💪 a great program, State Championship and I respect that. BUT beat Carthage!!!

I am impressed with the freshman RB. 

2 minutes ago, CDAWG68 said:

I think it will be a one or 2 score lead at halftime, then Carthage will pull away in the second half. PG has several players that play both ways, they will be gassed late in the second half. Dawgs win 42 to 28! Go Dawgs!

That seems to be the consensus here on SDC. 14 point win.

1 hour ago, cotton84 said:

I am impressed with the freshman RB. 

He still young though. I've watched him play since the 7th grade he's nice. BUT He won't be a factor in this game. I mean no disrespect at all! Just my opinion. His time will come but not this year against Carthage. Maybe against some other teams this year.

Well, Celina has a second week off in a row, so I'll be watching this one on Friday night. After watching PG and Argyle and then last week watching Carthage and Gilmer, it's hard not to go with the Bulldogs. I think one thing PG has going for them that Gilmer did not last Friday, is the Hawks can match Carthage's physicality, which you just have to do, no question. You won't out-athlete the Bulldogs, so you sure as hell better not get out "physicaled." Gilmer got manhandled in the trenches, and Courtney's little cutback went for 7-10 yards just about every time. I don't think PG will get thrown around on the defensive/offensive lines, which could let them grind out some 3-5 yard runs, which will help slow down the game.

The Buckeyes had absolutely no rushing attack whatsoever, and that let the Carthage secondary do work. Gilmer's receivers made some fantastic catches during the game, but almost all of them were tough, contested snags against blanket coverage. We'll see how disciplined the Bulldogs secondary is, because they won't be able to sell out entirely to the run, especially early on. PG CAN hit a play action pass when they need to, and they're going to have to hit 5-10 of them to make this a game, in my opinion. And the majority of those better come on non-traditional passing downs. If they're forced into 3rd-and-medium or 3rd-and-long, it's going to be a long night. Gilmer had some success when they rolled Tennison out of the pocket and attacked the outside intermediate routes, and PG might need to do the same. The Hawks don't need to hit the home run every time they go to the air, they just need to loosen up the box enough to have a numbers advantage there.

PG will certainly have to utilize Jackson on offense. He'll need to haul in a few of those clutch catches and then use his size and strength to plow ahead for some big gains.

Defensively, PG has to start by slowing Courtney down. That kid may not play at the next level, but he is such a dang good HS running back. He runs hard and downhill, and it felt like as soon as he touched the ball against Gilmer, he was already into the second level. The Hawks can't let their defensive line get washed out and into the LBs like Gilmer. And they'll have to stay true on their backside pursuit and contain, because Courtney's cutback is killer. PG doesn't have the secondary to hang with the Carthage receivers for long, so they'll have to get some sort of a rush against Horton. Fortunately, the Hawks have the guys to do it, and fortunately, they're big enough to handle Horton's size. Against most defenders, Horton's size is going to be a major issue. He's just so big and strong and hard to bring down. He won't have the luxury of being the biggest one on Friday.

All in all, PG can make this a game, but they're going to need to slow the game down and keep it low scoring. Otherwise, Carthage will run away like they did against the Buckeyes. I'll take the Bulldogs by three possessions, but it may feel closer than that for about 2-3 quarters.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

Well, Celina has a second week off in a row, so I'll be watching this one on Friday night. After watching PG and Argyle and then last week watching Carthage and Gilmer, it's hard not to go with the Bulldogs. I think one thing PG has going for them that Gilmer did not last Friday, is the Hawks can match Carthage's physicality, which you just have to do, no question. You won't out-athlete the Bulldogs, so you sure as hell better not get out "physicaled." Gilmer got manhandled in the trenches, and Courtney's little cutback went for 7-10 yards just about every time. I don't think PG will get thrown around on the defensive/offensive lines, which could let them grind out some 3-5 yard runs, which will help slow down the game.

The Buckeyes had absolutely no rushing attack whatsoever, and that let the Carthage secondary do work. Gilmer's receivers made some fantastic catches during the game, but almost all of them were tough, contested snags against blanket coverage. We'll see how disciplined the Bulldogs secondary is, because they won't be able to sell out entirely to the run, especially early on. PG CAN hit a play action pass when they need to, and they're going to have to hit 5-10 of them to make this a game, in my opinion. And the majority of those better come on non-traditional passing downs. If they're forced into 3rd-and-medium or 3rd-and-long, it's going to be a long night. Gilmer had some success when they rolled Tennison out of the pocket and attacked the outside intermediate routes, and PG might need to do the same. The Hawks don't need to hit the home run every time they go to the air, they just need to loosen up the box enough to have a numbers advantage there.

PG will certainly have to utilize Jackson on offense. He'll need to haul in a few of those clutch catches and then use his size and strength to plow ahead for some big gains.

Defensively, PG has to start by slowing Courtney down. That kid may not play at the next level, but he is such a dang good HS running back. He runs hard and downhill, and it felt like as soon as he touched the ball against Gilmer, he was already into the second level. The Hawks can't let their defensive line get washed out and into the LBs like Gilmer. And they'll have to stay true on their backside pursuit and contain, because Courtney's cutback is killer. PG doesn't have the secondary to hang with the Carthage receivers for long, so they'll have to get some sort of a rush against Horton. Fortunately, the Hawks have the guys to do it, and fortunately, they're big enough to handle Horton's size. Against most defenders, Horton's size is going to be a major issue. He's just so big and strong and hard to bring down. He won't have the luxury of being the biggest one on Friday.

All in all, PG can make this a game, but they're going to need to slow the game down and keep it low scoring. Otherwise, Carthage will run away like they did against the Buckeyes. I'll take the Bulldogs by three possessions, but it may feel closer than that for about 2-3 quarters.

Great post, PG can mist definitely make this a good game. 
I hope Carthage throws it on them with some quick slants and some intermediate routes like Argyle did and then goes to the running game after loosening up the PG defense. Basically try to emulate what Argyle did to them.

25 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Great post, PG can mist definitely make this a good game. 
I hope Carthage throws it on them with some quick slants and some intermediate routes like Argyle did and then goes to the running game after loosening up the PG defense. Basically try to emulate what Argyle did to them.

I said after that Argyle/PG game that the Eagles laid the groundwork for knocking off the Hawks, and I imagined Gilmer was watching it and licking their chops. The Buckeyes will matchup better against PG than they did against Carthage, that's for sure.

Those Argyle quick slants were so effective. I think the Eagles have better receivers, overall, than Carthage, but you're probably splitting hairs there, to be honest. Carthage and Argyle's offensive lines are very comparable, with a slight edge, in my opinion, to the Eagles ... again, splitting hairs. Carthage has the better rushing attack/running back in Courtney, AND the Bulldogs have a much more effective defense, although I think Argyle's is improving quickly.

So as not to sound like a Carthage fanboy, I'll say, the Bulldogs probably need to develop some depth behind Courtney as the season progresses. I didn't see any other ball carrier that would worry most defenses, to be honest. And, this will sound a little silly, but I didn't see the spooky-good athlete on the outside that you look at and shrug because you know you don't have an answer no matter what you do. In other words, there's no Ingram, Dixon, etc. BUT there is a host of pretty solid guys who CAN hit the home run if you're not disciplined or not a good-tackling team.

Again, PG has the physicality and talent along the defensive front to make this a game, but they're simply going to have to create some plays in the backfield consistently.

4 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

I said after that Argyle/PG game that the Eagles laid the groundwork for knocking off the Hawks, and I imagined Gilmer was watching it and licking their chops. The Buckeyes will matchup better against PG than they did against Carthage, that's for sure.

Those Argyle quick slants were so effective. I think the Eagles have better receivers, overall, than Carthage, but you're probably splitting hairs there, to be honest. Carthage and Argyle's offensive lines are very comparable, with a slight edge, in my opinion, to the Eagles ... again, splitting hairs. Carthage has the better rushing attack/running back in Courtney, AND the Bulldogs have a much more effective defense, although I think Argyle's is improving quickly.

So as not to sound like a Carthage fanboy, I'll say, the Bulldogs probably need to develop some depth behind Courtney as the season progresses. I didn't see any other ball carrier that would worry most defenses, to be honest. And, this will sound a little silly, but I didn't see the spooky-good athlete on the outside that you look at and shrug because you know you don't have an answer no matter what you do. In other words, there's no Ingram, Dixon, etc. BUT there is a host of pretty solid guys who CAN hit the home run if you're not disciplined or not a good-tackling team.

Again, PG has the physicality and talent along the defensive front to make this a game, but they're simply going to have to create some plays in the backfield consistently.

Carthage’s backup RB would start for at least 50% of 4A schools. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Carthage’s backup RB would start for at least 50% of 4A schools. 

I'm sure he would. I didn't say he was a bad back or a bad kid. He's certainly not a bad backup behind Courtney. I was just pointing out that when he's in and Courtney is catching his breath, there's a noticeable difference.

Lol like I said in my previous post, we're splitting hairs here TRYING to find a weakness in Carthage.

4 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

I think the Eagles have better receivers, overall, than Carthage, but you're probably splitting hairs there, to be honest. Carthage and Argyle's offensive lines are very comparable, with a slight edge, in my opinion, to the Eagles ... again, splitting hairs.

Carthage is young at the position, and I think Carthage has far more upside at receiver. Carthage receivers can go. If Argyle is better right now at receiver it’s not by much, but by the end of the season it won’t be close as the Carthage gets more experienced. Carthage has a sophomore #4 Montreal Hatten that is a complete stud. Plus #13 Braeden Wade who is a junior and Senior #10 Craig NcNew. Also have TE #11 Montrell Smith who is a senior. Have some other young guys that look good. This group has a chance to be special. It’s a deep group and young. 

Carthage obviously has a lot of great players. Everybody around the state knows Kai, Mason, Tee and some other guys, but a name to know is LB #5 Kip Lewis. He played 4-5 games as a sophomore last year before getting hurt and missing the rest of the season. So he is probably not well known. I’m not sure he is not the best player on the team. Only a junior. He is already 6’2 200+ lbs. I think offers should start rolling in at some point. Very impressed with him. Has DPOY potential. 

2 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Carthage is young at the position, and I think Carthage has far more upside at receiver. Carthage receivers can go. If Argyle is better right now at receiver it’s not by much, but by the end of the season it won’t be close as the Carthage gets more experienced. Carthage has a sophomore #4 Montreal Hatten that is a complete stud. Plus #13 Braeden Wade who is a junior and Senior #10 Craig NcNew. Also have TE #11 Montrell Smith who is a senior. Have some other young guys that look good. This group has a chance to be special. It’s a deep group and young. 

Lol Carthage has talent, no doubt. Nobody's gonna question that.

6 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Carthage obviously has a lot of great players. Everybody around the state knows Kai, Mason, Tee and some other guys, but a name to know is LB #5 Kip Lewis. He played 4-5 games as a sophomore last year before getting hurt and missing the rest of the season. So he is probably not well known. I’m not sure he is not the best player on the team. Only a junior. He is already 6’2 200+ lbs. I think offers should start rolling in at some point. Very impressed with him. Has DPOY potential. 

No. 5 impressed me against the Buckeyes.

Everyone losing faith in PG because they took an L against an Argyle team who won convincingly against a very tough La Vega squad. I was impressed by Carthage last Friday, but again it was Gilmer, not PG. Carthage will most definitely see a better defense on Friday. I keep seeing PG is 1 dimensional etc.. The QB passed for 225 yards on Friday and 3 TDs against a solid Silsbee defense due to them selling out on the run. That all said, Carthage should win this game. They have a huge offensive line, a great QB, fast and physical defense, and playmakers all over the field. PG just doesn't have great speed at the WR position for the big play. If someone is wide open on Friday it will be because of a blown coverage. However, those kids can run good routes to move the ball effectively. Defensively that PG secondary is lacking. Their front seven is great, and there only hope of getting off that field is those guys winning up front. That said, Carthage has some DAWGS on the line who will compete every play. I see a repeat of last years game. Honestly, if I am PG, I just want to be competing into the 4th quarter. There is a REAL chance these two see each other again this year in Dallas. Its hard to beat a team twice, but harder if not impossible to beat Surratt twice in a season. 

• Thanks 1