WEEK 3: Marshall (1-1) Vs. McKinney North (0-1)

Mavchamp

Marshall Vs. McKinney North  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• North by a little
    • Marshall by a little
    • North in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

This will be the first ever meeting between the two schools.

It replaces the game originally scheduled with Carthage prior to the pandemic.  

Marshall is coming off their annual horrific performance Vs. Longview in a 53-21 beatdown.

McKinney North is coming off of oa 60-49 loss to Justin Northwest.  

This is the final non-district game for Marshall before their bye week.  The Mavs then open district Vs. Pine Tree.

Going with North in a close one. I don't think Marshall has the defense to shut down that North offense, but they should get some points for sure.

If the Mavs can cut out the turnovers, they'll have a good chance.

Mav defense is giving up some huge real estate against quality backs.

New Caney ran wild with their stud running back..... Longview had a couple that ran wild.  

Defense was suppose to be our strength this season, but two games in and they've struggled more than expected.  Granted... those teams were a combined (21-2) last season, but it's a disturbing trend.

Mav offense, IMHO, is in a much better place than it was this time last season.... they will get better.  We have the weapons.  Just got to clean up the mistakes.  I think we will be OK offensively this season as long as we continue to improve.  

But the defense has got to improve.  Good offenses are awaiting us in district play (Pine Tree, Texas High, Whitehouse).

I'm not going to get too low after a loss to Longview.  It's an annual thing.  I don't think anyone else in East Texas 5A outside of maybe Texas High would fare any better against the Lobos.  It is what it is.

We need this game to head into district with some confidence.  

1 hour ago, Aledo said:

Rollin with North. Marshall didnt do anything yesterday to make me think they have made a jump. Might start 0-3 this year, playoffs, then 1 or 2 and done. We will see. 

We won last week Vs New Caney.  
0-3 can’t happen. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Mav defense is giving up some huge real estate against quality backs.

New Caney ran wild with their stud running back..... Longview had a couple that ran wild.  

Defense was suppose to be our strength this season, but two games in and they've struggled more than expected.  Granted... those teams were a combined (21-2) last season, but it's a disturbing trend.

Mav offense, IMHO, is in a much better place than it was this time last season.... they will get better.  We have the weapons.  Just got to clean up the mistakes.  I think we will be OK offensively this season as long as we continue to improve.  

But the defense has got to improve.  Good offenses are awaiting us in district play (Pine Tree, Texas High, Whitehouse).

I'm not going to get too low after a loss to Longview.  It's an annual thing.  I don't think anyone else in East Texas 5A outside of maybe Texas High would fare any better against the Lobos.  It is what it is.

We need this game to head into district with some confidence.  

Establishing a consistent running game will go a long way for the Mavs. That #11 is a game breaker. What is his classification? If they keep getting him the ball and shore up the defense I think the Mavs will be fine. 

Fwiw. Marshall have some size on the d line.  

Marshall will be fine if both of the lines can become more physical. The size is there just no push. The D is built on speed and more in tune to defend spread offenses. Longview made most of their money in between the tackles and usually didn't fair well when they got in shotgun.

I'm a little worried about the lack of tackling ability. New Caney and Longview both had waay too many yards after contact. We are getting there, just not making the play. Wrap up and hold on! 

Offense needs another deep threat on opposite side of Dede(#11). I don't understand why Rawls isn't getting playing time on offense. I know he's a D1 safety, but we sure could benefit by having him on about 40-50 percent of the offensive snaps. Especially when film gets out and coaches learn to roll their safeties towards Dede. 

We can’t ignore some of the perfectly thrown but dropped passes our WRs have had. 

TBH.... headed into the season I was 1000Xs more concerned about the offense and settling on a QB than I was the defense, which is loaded to bear. 

But the offense has performed better than expected and the defense has been the one struggling most. 

Some of those dropped passes would have kept drives alive that were punts.  

Outside of maybe Texarkana... will anyone in our district have a defense the caliber of Longview?  No. 

I honestly think our offense is going to be fine.  

Defense is worrisome. 

Total opposite of what I expected. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mav01 said:

Marshall will be fine if both of the lines can become more physical. The size is there just no push. The D is built on speed and more in tune to defend spread offenses. Longview made most of their money in between the tackles and usually didn't fair well when they got in shotgun.

We were 8 for 15 for 164 yards. I didn't think our passing attack had many issues on Friday with two sophomores back there. We just, honestly, didn't need it.

I think you'll get your test in the secondary though this week. Y'all have played two heavy runs teams to start the season for sure.

Finally getting some housekeeping done on the Mav page.

MAIN PAGE UPDATED: https://www.marshallmavericks.net/

Finally got the Roster posted: https://www.marshallmavericks.net/roster

Varsity, JV, 9th Red and White and all 4 MJHS team schedules and scores: 
https://www.marshallmavericks.net/schedule-and-results

Working on the GAMEDAY tab for our game Vs. North.  Hope to have it posted tomorrow or Tuesday:
https://www.marshallmavericks.net/gameday

Always open to suggestions!

• Like 1

On 10/3/2020 at 8:19 PM, mav01 said:

I'm a little worried about the lack of tackling ability. New Caney and Longview both had waay too many yards after contact. We are getting there, just not making the play. Wrap up and hold on! 

Offense needs another deep threat on opposite side of Dede(#11). I don't understand why Rawls isn't getting playing time on offense. I know he's a D1 safety, but we sure could benefit by having him on about 40-50 percent of the offensive snaps. Especially when film gets out and coaches learn to roll their safeties towards Dede. 

Marshall's lines definitely need a little fire in their belly.  They seem to have the pieces, just need to get a little more spring in their step.

I was honestly surprised about the tackling of Marshall.  Although they usually get run over by Longview, there was a lot of arm tackling and not wrapping up.  They have to fix that in a hurry.

I am not sure you need another deep threat.  You guys really need someone underneath who can take it to the house.  Dede (#11) can help clear things out, someone in the slot can take advantage...that's what you guys were missing...

On 10/4/2020 at 9:09 AM, Mavchamp said:

Some of those dropped passes would have kept drives alive that were punts.  

Outside of maybe Texarkana... will anyone in our district have a defense the caliber of Longview?  No. 

Longview has had some of the same issues with dropped passes.  I hope you guys work on that.  I was a little shocked that Griedl tried to force some things (maybe being behind).  I would have expected him to take advantage of what the defense was giving him.

Texarkana will be the best defense you see all year, no matter who you play.

MJHS 7th grade Red Team (A) got a 26-20 win over Hallsville tonight to improve to 2-1-1 on the season.  Only one game tonight.  HMS only has one 7th grade team.  The B team is (1-1).

The 8th grade teams will be in Hallsville Tuesday night.

9th grade A team and the JV will face McKinney North Thursday night in Sulphur Springs.  There will be no 9th B game.

For the last 3 seasons... non-District pops in the mouth had us battle hardened for district play.  

Longview got their’s in.  Hopefully we show some improvement this week Vs North. Win or lose. 

Glad to know things went well today.  

Maybe some tackling drills hahaha. 

Go Mavs Go!!