Nederland @ Jacksonville

Chorizo

24 minutes ago, Chorizo said:

i do not know anything about jacksonville,but this nederland team is quick,small,and scrappy from what ive seen so far

Based on Jacksonville's losses to Crandall and Cleburne, I think it is going to be a long year for Jax. Nederland was very close to upsetting Lufkin last week. 

I don't understand why Jax still hasn't taken that next step with this staff being in place for a few seasons now. They were tough nuggets in the early 2000's. Did the Tomato Bowl renovations remove that old visiting team curse? Seems like they need to bring back that old tough/physical mentality. They have the Qbs these next few years to put up points, but that Defense isn't anything like that 04' squad. 

I've watched Tribe football for the past 20 years. There will always be skilled kids for sure. Seems to me pride to be in the program is lacking. 10 years ago there was a buzz around NDN football. I just do not feel that excitement anymore.  I've always said 90% of a team sport is wanting to be there and work hard. Can't coach pride within yourself. Not saying all kids are like that here but seems some are ok with just putting on a uniform. Might be a generational thing but #### for coaches and ones that work hard. Hopefully this changes soon. My 2 cents.. nome are facts just my thoughts. 

This is my 39th year broadcasting Jacksonville football. No doubt, it has been a tough decade for ‘Jacksonville. I will say, however, the 80s was a pretty bad decade for ‘Jacksonville as I broadcasted the games then, too. The 1970s were great. Then the 1990s arrived and the run went to 2010 or so. 

@LoboFan07 and @Cat51993I’ve been following high school football since the early 1970s and what I know is every program has its cycles. Sure, some towns never seem to have a down cycle like Longview, Carthage, Lufkin, Gilmer, etc.

Jax will be back, some good classes coming. Unfortunately, we have had several classes in the last 10 years decimated by bad decisions by kids— the great players. Extra curricular activities are a privilege and we have had several potential college players throw it away. Frustrating, every town has this, but we have had our fair share. 

I love our current staff. It is NOT them. It wasn’t the previous staff’s fault, or the one before that one. This current staff has to be one of the hardest working staffs I’ve ever been around. I go to practice, I see it. 

Shorter answer: if you don’t behave, you don’t get to play. We have 6 juniors on varsity. That’s it. A whole class wiped out by bad decisions and misbehavior. Programs can’t thrive when the best athletes wipe their classes out. Don’t count us out in 2020. We do need to have some kids step up though or it’ll be tough in our district. 

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Matt said:

This is my 39th year broadcasting Jacksonville football. No doubt, it has been a tough decade for ‘Jacksonville. I will say, however, the 80s was a pretty bad decade for ‘Jacksonville as I broadcasted the games then, too. The 1970s were great. Then the 1990s arrived and the run went to 2010 or so. 

@LoboFan07 and @Cat51993I’ve been following high school football since the early 1970s and what I know is every program has its cycles. Sure, some towns never seem to have a down cycle like Longview, Carthage, Lufkin, Gilmer, etc.

Jax will be back, some good classes coming. Unfortunately, we have had several classes in the last 10 years decimated by bad decisions by kids— the great players. Extra curricular activities are a privilege and we have had several potential college players throw it away. Frustrating, every town has this, but we have had our fair share. 

I love our current staff. It is NOT them. It wasn’t the previous staff’s fault, or the one before that one. This current staff has to be one of the hardest working staffs I’ve ever been around. I go to practice, I see it. 

Shorter answer: if you don’t behave, you don’t get to play. We have 6 juniors on varsity. That’s it. A whole class wiped out by bad decisions and misbehavior. Programs can’t thrive when the best athletes wipe their classes out. Don’t count us out in 2020. We do need to have some kids step up though or it’ll be tough in our district. 

I appreciate your optimism,  but this is mike philiips,  we had these same issues when i played under danny long,  wayne coleman was offensive coordinator,  and we never played like this.... 

2 hours ago, Jets said:

I appreciate your optimism,  but this is mike philiips,  we had these same issues when i played under danny long,  wayne coleman was offensive coordinator,  and we never played like this.... 

What Matt is saying is true but I also agree with you as well those issues were there when Long was coach too...to me personally losing has become a mindset here alot of these kids don't realize how good jacksonville football use to be...you can show them old films and YouTube videos and they are amazed that it was actual winning around here...hopefully it'll get back on track.

18 hours ago, Matt said:

Ive played and been around football since the 70s. I have seen teams up and down. Every teams has its issues for sure. You have to wonder why coaches that leave Jville are successful. You look at the assistant and head coaches the past 10 years that left and their programs seem to be going in the right direction. If you have discipline problems in your program 5 to 6 years into your leadership you might have waiting to long to Crack down. Time to show signs of improvement.  Wait till next year is what I've heard for the past 4 years. Not blaming anyone but it it time to improve. 

7 minutes ago, Cat51993 said:

Ive played and been around football since the 70s. I have seen teams up and down. Every teams has its issues for sure. You have to wonder why coaches that leave Jville are successful. You look at the assistant and head coaches the past 10 years that left and their programs seem to be going in the right direction. If you have discipline problems in your program 5 to 6 years into your leadership you might have waiting to long to Crack down. Time to show signs of improvement.  Wait till next year is what I've heard for the past 4 years. Not blaming anyone but it it time to improve. 

I have great respect for wayne coleman, having played for him in 92 and 93 seasons and know him well,  theres no more excuses for him, his staff,  and players