R. I. P. Eddie Van Halen

mellon

• RETIREDFAN1 changed the title to R. I. P. Eddie Van Halen

I hated hearing this news today, and I've been reading a book on Van Halen's past.  I had hoped to see them one more time in concert.  He was the greatest living guitarist in my lifetime.  Eddie "Two Spiders" Van Halen will truly be missed.  

• Like 1

Eddie was in that special class of guitar players. Roll call was short. You weren’t a 90s kid and didn’t know who the heck he was. Cancer can go to hades. I have a phone that has all the info in the world at the tips of my fingers. Self driving cars. We can clone a dang goat but we can’t cure cancer? Bull. When the money made by curing it overcomes the money made by treating will be the time it happens.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Crawford said:

One of the best, if not the best guitar player of all time. I didn't realize he played in Micheal Jackson's song "Beat It" until I watch the news today. 

R.I.P.

For some reason I thought it was Steve Vai who did the solo.

Saw them in Austin in 1988 during the OU812 Tour.  I was a student at UT at the time and worked at the Frank Erwin Center as security.  I was usually stationed in front of the stage or near the band's sound board in the front-center.  I was at the sound board for this concert.  i always had great "seats"!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Crawford said:

One of the best, if not the best guitar player of all time. I didn't realize he played in Micheal Jackson's song "Beat It" until I watched the news today. 

R.I.P.

He also didn't receive a dime for doing so.  He was angry about that for a long time, Michael didn't even thank him for it.  I think he was more mad that Michael was angry that Dave didn't win any video awards after he went solo.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Stoney said:

For some reason I thought it was Steve Vai who did the solo.

Steve made an excellent tribute on his wall last night.  It was just a pair of Eddies shoes, and his caption of "They will never be filled".  Valerie Bertinelli also tweeted a moving post to him, and I wouldn't doubt it made her new husband jealous.  

• Like 1

I still can't get over this news.  Van Halen were The Beatles to many of my generation.  Eddie's death was much bigger to the music world than any other that I have seen.  I'd say John Lennon's was second.  It seemed everyone loved Eddie, but not so much with John.  Musicians across the board were paying tribute to him, with even some lesser known musicians such as Adam Bomb making tributes, and telling the stories of how he would work with them in the industry not just on their guitar skills, but dealing with the industry.  Eddie loved music more than anything except maybe his son Wolf.  As Valerie used to say she knew he was only cheating on her with his instruments, and they were his mistresses.  Heck he even helped Steve Vai out.  I know that Eddie and Dave did have a feud from 1985-2005, but they settled their differences.  I own all of the Van Halen albums, but I only bought "5150" from the Van Hagar years.  I might have to get those too.  The bad thing is I only liked a couple of songs from the Van Hagar years.

• Like 1

I thought this was a great discussion about Van Halen's early years.  Dave sort of lied in it, because he wrote about it the one instance he said he forgot about it in his book.  Dave has a very good memory of things.  This says interview, but to be it's just them shooting the breeze with each other.  

By the way Malcolm was Milton Berle's nephew, who also managed RATT for awhile.  If you remember back in the 80's Uncle Miltie was in two RATT videos.  

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 8:05 PM, DaveTV1 said:

I thought this was a great discussion about Van Halen's early years.  Dave sort of lied in it, because he wrote about it the one instance he said he forgot about it in his book.  Dave has a very good memory of things.  This says interview, but to be it's just them shooting the breeze with each other.  

By the way Malcolm was Milton Berle's nephew, who also managed RATT for awhile.  If you remember back in the 80's Uncle Miltie was in two RATT videos.  

I thought his nephew’s name was Marshall?