Week Four: Longview vs Beaumont West Brook

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (2-1) vs Beaumont West Brook Bruins (1-1)  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Beaumont West Brook in a close one
    • Beaumont West Brook in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/16/2020 at 12:00 AM

longview.pngbeaumontwestbrook.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (2-1) VS BEAUMONT WEST BROOK BRUINS (1-1)

DATE: Thursday, October 15th, 2020
TIME: 7:00 PM
LOCATION: John Outlaw Memorial Field at Abe Martin Stadium in Lufkin, Texas
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: 106.5 FM JACK FM
BEAUMONT WEST BROOK BROADCAST: n/a
VIDEO STREAM: NFHSNetwork.com / TexanLive.com

longview.pngLOBOS LEAD SERIES 2-1-0 longview.png

The two schools have never played a non-district contest.
The two schools have never played a district contest.
The Lobos have a 2-1 lead when the game is a playoff contest.
The Lobos have a 1-0 lead when the game is played at a neutral location.
The Lobos have a 1-0 lead when the game is played at Longview.
The Bruins have a 1-0 lead when the game is played at Beaumont West Brooks.
Longview has won the last two meetings against the Bruins.
The two schools have never played at Abe Martin Stadium.
The two schools have never played on October 15th.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES
12.22.2018 - Longview 35, Beaumont West Brook 34 - AT&T Stadium
11.17.2017 - Longview 42, Beaumont West Brook 21 - Lobo Stadium
11.11.2016 - Beaumont West Brook 34, Longview 33 - C.A. Thomas Multipurpose Center
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW
Anytime you can defeat a team, no matter who it is, 16-games in a row..it is impressive. Longview held serve at home after a back and forth first half, to do just that. The Lobos used a 21-0 second half to pull away from the improved Legacy Red Raiders and stormed to a 37-14 victory. Longview's defense won the day, which many expected would have to happen if the Lobos were going to have success this season. With the win, the Lobos won their 16th in a row over the Red Raiders, the second longest such winning streak over a single opponent in school history. The Red Raiders last defeated Longview back in 2003. This was, however, the closest Legacy had been entering the fourth quarter (two scores) since the 2010 contest. With the win, the Lobos have secured back to back wins after opening the 2020 season the disappointing blow out loss to Temple. Longview now turns their attention to their non-district contest of the season as they take on a familiar foe in Beaumont West Brook. The Bruins, fresh of a 2019 season that ended disappointingly in the second round much like it did for the Lobos, come into Lufkin's Abe Martin Stadium with a 1-1 record. The Bruins opened the year with a 66-63 loss to Tomball Memorial before knocking off private school Bellaire Episcopal 56-10 last week. The Bruins no doubt will be looking for some momentum as they head into an extremely tough district next week, opening with Galena Park North Shore. This will be the fourth meeting between the two schools, and the first non-district meeting. Longview and Beaumont West Brook opened their histories against one another with a bi-district contest in 2016, when the Lobos had to make the trip down to Beaumont despite being tied for the No. 1 seed in Division II. Longview led most of the way, until a fumble inside the 15 yard line in the dying minutes of the game gave the Bruins a chance, trailing by six. West Brook went the distance and the extra point put the Bruins on top for good. Longview's Chris Kessler missed a long field goal to end the game as West Brook held on. Longview, the next year, would welcome the Bruins to Lobo Stadium and after a tight first half, the Lobos would run away with things in route to a 42-21 win. In the last meeting, Longview and West Brook full cemented themselves in history meeting in the Class 6A Division II State Championship in 2018, that saw the third largest crowd to ever watch a Texas High School Football game cram into AT&T Stadium. This time, it was West Brook who led nearly the entire way until Longview exploded in the fourth quarter to take the lead by one point. The Lobos would seal the contest with a fumble in the final four minutes, and the celebration of 81-years of frustration would erupt inside the stadium that Jerry built. It won't be quite that feeling on Thursday night, as the Lobos and Bruins meet in a socially distant Abe Martin Stadium in Lufkin. But plenty of fireworks are expected in this great match up for both teams to end non-district play.

WEEK THREE 7-5A DIVISION I RESULTS:
Highland Park 42 Coppell 36
Longview 37 Tyler Legacy 14
McKinney North 22 Marshall 48
Sherman 62 Saginaw 0
Tyler at Nacogdoches (Canceled - Covid)
West Mesquite 15 Chisholm Trail 22
Wylie East vs Royse City (Canceled - Covid)

WEEK FOUR 7-5A DIVISION I SCHEDULE:
Longview v. Beaumont West Brook (Thursday)
Highland Park at Rockwall
McKinney North at Rockwall Heath (Thursday)
Sherman at McKinney
Tyler at Mesquite Horn
West Mesquite vs Keller Timber Creek
Wylie East - Canceled/COVID

DISTRICT 7-5A DIVISION I STANDINGS
1st. Highland Park (1-0, 0-0)
2nd. Longview (2-1, 0-0)
3rd. Wylie East (1-1, 0-0)
4th. Sherman (1-2, 0-0)
5th. McKinney North (0-2, 0-0)
6th. Tyler (0-2, 0-0)
7th. West Mesquite (0-3, 0-0)

DISTRICT 8-5A DIVISION I OVERVIEW
Last Week - Magnolia defeated College Station 27-16, Magnolia West defeated Lufkin 37-20, New Caney defeated New Caney Porter 21-19, Waller defeated Cleveland 50-6. Conroe Caney Creek was off.
This Week - Cleveland hosts Magnolia West, College Station hosts New Caney Porter, Conroe Caney Creek hosts Waller, Lufkin hosts Magnolia. New Caney is off.

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 2-1 (0-0)
District: 7-5A Division I
Coach: John King (181-38 in 16 seasons) (Playoffs: 41-15)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 741-348-52 (Playoffs: 70-42-1)
Playoff Appearances: 45
Last Playoff Appearance: 2019, Class 6A Division II Area Round
State Championships (2): 1937 (1A), 2018 (6A D2)
State Championship Appearances (5): 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1), 2018 (6A D2)
SCHEDULE:
09.25 - v. Temple (in Arlington) - Loss 40-13
10.02- at Marshall - Win 53-21
10.09 - vs Tyler Legacy - Win 37-14
10.15 - v. Beaumont West Brook (in Lufkin)
10.23 - vs West Mesquite
10.30 - at Wylie East
11.06 - vs Highland Park
11.13 - at Sherman
11.27 - vs McKinney North
12.04 - at Tyler

BEAUMONT WEST BROOK BRUINS
Record: 1-1 (0-0)
District: 21-6A
Coach: Eric Peevey (30-10 in 4 seasons) (Playoffs: 6-3)
First Year of Football: 1982
All-Time Record: 267-161-2 (Playoffs: 32-24-1)
Playoff Appearances: 24
Last Playoff Appearance: 2019, 6A Division II BI-District Round
State Championships (1): 1982 (5A)
State Championship Appearances (2): 1982 (5A), 2018 (6A D2)
SCHEDULE:
10.02 - at Tomball Memorial - Loss 66-63
10.08 - at Bellaire Episcopal - Win 56-10
10.15 - v. Longview (In Lufkin)
10.23 - at Galena Park North Shore
11.06 - vs Humble
11.12 - at Humble Kingwood
11.20 - vs Humble Summer Creek
11.27 - at Sheldon C.E. King
12.24 - vs Humble Atascocita

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: October 15th
In 1920, Atlanta handed Longview a 45-6 defeat in Atlanta.
In 1926, Longview rolled over Troup, 25-0, at Fair Park in Longview.
In 1937, Dick Miller tallied twice while Ray Cantrell and Hardy Miller each added a tally for the Lobos in a 46-0 win over Kilgore at Lobo Stadium. Don Fambrough’s 30 yard fumble return in the 4th quarter is the last freshman score by a Lobo.
In 1943, Jimmy Blakeley rushed for three scores in the first half, while Longview finished with 365 rushing yards in a 45-0 win over Texas High at Grim Park.
In 1948, O’Neal Brightwell rushed from 5 yards out while Joe Skelton tallied from 12 yards as Henderson knocked off Longview at Lion Stadium, 13-0.
In 1954, Tony Rothrock rushed for three touchdowns to help Longview defeat Mount Pleasant, 27-6, at Lobo Stadium.
In 1971, the Lobos rushed for 307 yards with Chuck Boyd scoring two touchdowns along with four others tallying touchdowns in a 41-7 win over Palestine at Lobo Stadium.
In 1976, John Tyler took a 12-0 lead at halftime and a 12-7 lead into the 4th quarter before two Tim Martin one yard rushes pushed Longview to a 22-12 win over the Lions at Rose Stadium.
In 1982, Longview trailed 6-0 after one quarter before a three touchdown outburst in the second pushed the Lobos to a 26-6 victory over Lufkin at Lobo Stadium. The Panthers were held to 120 total yards on the night.
In 1993, Nacogdoches took a 10-7 lead in the 3rd quarter before L’Vendric Fite, Chris Butcher and Monte Rollins tallied for the Lobos in a 27-10 Longview win over the Dragons at Lobo Stadium.
In 1999, DeMarques Jones hauled in two touchdowns as Longview fell 17-7 to the Lufkin Panthers at Abe Martin Stadium. Walter Sharp was Longview’s lone tally of the night.
In 2004, Andy Tanner’s reception from 6 yards out gave Rockwall the lead midway through the 4th quarter before Vondrell McGee rushed in from 5 yards out with 2:12 to go in the contest to lift Longview to a 14-10 win over Rockwall at Wilkerson Stadium.
In 2010, Demetris Griffin hauled in a 62-yard pass to lift Mesquite Horn to a 8-7 lead over the Lobos entering the 4th quarter. J’Haston Faggans would answer in the 4th quarter from 15 yards out and the Lobo defense would hold as Longview knocked off Mesquite Horn, 13-8, at Lobo Stadium.

lobohowl2.GIF
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

How do you score 63 points and lose?!

Tomball Memorial is very good. They put up 69 again tonight. Scored 55 in their opener. They're extremely solid offensively.

West Brook obviously has athletes and an offense. Hoping their defense is really not that good, so our boys can get some confidence.

I'm starting to think this defense is getting ready to take off.

I'm not gonna get the 3-4 I want but that may be okay.

The front 7 was never the problem, they've been solid all year even in the Temple game.

CB play was worrisome the first two weeks. But its clear that someone has gotten onto Berry about that because he had way better schemes last night. Even on the long post Lee completed, and the TD pass...the corner had good alignment...just simply failed to play the ball. But I also saw something last night that'll really excite me if we continue to do it.

Jalen Hale played some CB last night. If him and Dylan Davis end up as our main corners long term...and Berry continues utilizing this scheme...watch out.

44 minutes ago, ANTI said:

I'm starting to think this defense is getting ready to take off.

I'm not gonna get the 3-4 I want but that may be okay.

The front 7 was never the problem, they've been solid all year even in the Temple game.

CB play was worrisome the first two weeks. But its clear that someone has gotten onto Berry about that because he had way better schemes last night. Even on the long post Lee completed, and the TD pass...the corner had good alignment...just simply failed to play the ball. But I also saw something last night that'll really excite me if we continue to do it.

Jalen Hale played some CB last night. If him and Dylan Davis end up as our main corners long term...and Berry continues utilizing this scheme...watch out.

I agree....I think it is gold that we are going to get West Brook and West Mesquite before HP.  This will definitely push his defensive scheme and changes in the secondary.  West Brook will push deep on the post and over the middle routes.  West Mesquite should wear us out in zone coverage (if they have time to throw).  I would much rather get beat on a couple of deep balls from being over aggressive than letting them march down the field on 3-7 yard bubble screens or short passes.

• Like 1

Nice preview of WB this season:  https://www.setxsports.com/ip/index.php?/topic/196013-2020-setxsportscom-team-previews-west-brook-bruins/&ct=1602344630

This game is going to be a tough game.  I don't take anything away from temple but this could be the best team we have seen as far as all around talent goes.  If we keep the stupid penalties, dropped balls, and turnovers to a minimum we should do pretty well in the game.  Our defense was outstanding against TL running game last night but they couldn't throw the ball that well.  WB will be different and pretty balanced.  Their defensive front is going to give us problems and WB coaching is going to throw the kitchen sink at these sophomore QBs of ours.  A solid win this week has me thinking we are on the right track.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

So BW won the State Championship in the biggest classification in their first year of playing football. That is impressive as it gets. 

Yep. @jbabi86can tell you more about that team, as he was down there at West Brook for it. 

Impressive stuff from the Bruins.

All three of our games against them have been fun and exciting football. I’m still not over losing to them back in 2016. Completely fumbled that game away.

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2020 at 10:34 PM, LoboFan07 said:
longview.pngbeaumontwestbrook.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (2-1) VS BEAUMONT WEST BROOK BRUINS (1-1)

DATE: Thursday, October 15th, 2020
TIME: 7:00 PM
LOCATION: John Outlaw Memorial Field at Abe Martin Stadium in Lufkin, Texas
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: 106.5 FM JACK FM
BEAUMONT WEST BROOK BROADCAST: n/a
VIDEO STREAM: Coming soon

longview.pngLOBOS LEAD SERIES 2-1-0 longview.png

The two schools have never played a non-district contest.
The two schools have never played a district contest.
The Lobos have a 2-1 lead when the game is a playoff contest.
The Lobos have a 1-0 lead when the game is played at a neutral location.
The Lobos have a 1-0 lead when the game is played at Longview.
The Bruins have a 1-0 lead when the game is played at Beaumont West Brooks.
Longview has won the last two meetings against the Bruins.
The two schools have never played at Abe Martin Stadium.
The two schools have never played on October 15th.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES
12.22.2018 - Longview 35, Beaumont West Brook 34 - AT&T Stadium
11.17.2017 - Longview 42, Beaumont West Brook 21 - Lobo Stadium
11.11.2016 - Beaumont West Brook 34, Longview 33 - C.A. Thomas Multipurpose Center
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW
Coming Sunday.

WEEK THREE 7-5A DIVISION I RESULTS:
Highland Park 42 Coppell 36
Longview 37 Tyler Legacy 14
McKinney North 22 Marshall 48
Sherman 62 Saginaw 0
Tyler at Nacogdoches (Canceled - Covid)
West Mesquite 15 Chisholm Trail 22
Wylie East vs Royse City (Canceled - Covid)

WEEK FOUR 7-5A DIVISION I SCHEDULE:
Longview v. Beaumont West Brook (Thursday)
Highland Park at Rockwall
McKinney North at Rockwall Heath (Thursday)
Sherman at McKinney
Tyler at Mesquite Horn
West Mesquite vs Keller Timber Creek
Wylie East - Canceled/COVID

DISTRICT 7-5A DIVISION I STANDINGS
1st. Highland Park (1-0, 0-0)
2nd. Longview (2-1, 0-0)
3rd. Wylie East (1-1, 0-0)
4th. Sherman (1-2, 0-0)
5th. McKinney North (0-2, 0-0)
6th. Tyler (0-2, 0-0)
7th. West Mesquite (0-3, 0-0)

DISTRICT 8-5A DIVISION I OVERVIEW
Last Week - Magnolia defeated College Station 27-16, Magnolia West defeated Lufkin 37-20, New Caney defeated New Caney Porter 21-19, Waller defeated Cleveland 50-6. Conroe Caney Creek was off.
This Week - Cleveland hosts Magnolia West, College Station hosts New Caney Porter, Conroe Caney Creek hosts Waller, Lufkin hosts Magnolia. New Caney is off.

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 2-1 (0-0)
District: 7-5A Division I
Coach: John King (181-38 in 16 seasons) (Playoffs: 41-15)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 741-348-52 (Playoffs: 70-42-1)
Playoff Appearances: 45
Last Playoff Appearance: 2019, Class 6A Division II Area Round
State Championships (2): 1937 (1A), 2018 (6A D2)
State Championship Appearances (5): 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1), 2018 (6A D2)
SCHEDULE:
09.25 - v. Temple (in Arlington) - Loss 40-13
10.02- at Marshall - Win 53-21
10.09 - vs Tyler Legacy - Win 37-14
10.15 - v. Beaumont West Brook (in Lufkin)
10.23 - vs West Mesquite
10.30 - at Wylie East
11.06 - vs Highland Park
11.13 - at Sherman
11.27 - vs McKinney North
12.04 - at Tyler

BEAUMONT WEST BROOK BRUINS
Record: 1-1 (0-0)
District: 21-6A
Coach: Eric Peevey (30-10 in 4 seasons) (Playoffs: 6-3)
First Year of Football: 1982
All-Time Record: 267-161-2 (Playoffs: 32-24-1)
Playoff Appearances: 24
Last Playoff Appearance: 2019, 6A Division II BI-District Round
State Championships (1): 1982 (5A)
State Championship Appearances (2): 1982 (5A), 2018 (6A D2)
SCHEDULE:
10.02 - at Tomball Memorial - Loss 66-63
10.08 - at Bellaire Episcopal - Win 49-10
10.15 - v. Longview (In Lufkin)
10.23 - at Galena Park North Shore
11.06 - vs Humble
11.12 - at Humble Kingwood
11.20 - vs Humble Summer Creek
11.27 - at Sheldon C.E. King
12.24 - vs Humble Atascocita

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: October 15th
In 1920, Atlanta handed Longview a 45-6 defeat in Atlanta.
In 1926, Longview rolled over Troup, 25-0, at Fair Park in Longview.
In 1937, Dick Miller tallied twice while Ray Cantrell and Hardy Miller each added a tally for the Lobos in a 46-0 win over Kilgore at Lobo Stadium. Don Fambrough’s 30 yard fumble return in the 4th quarter is the last freshman score by a Lobo.
In 1943, Jimmy Blakeley rushed for three scores in the first half, while Longview finished with 365 rushing yards in a 45-0 win over Texas High at Grim Park.
In 1948, O’Neal Brightwell rushed from 5 yards out while Joe Skelton tallied from 12 yards as Henderson knocked off Longview at Lion Stadium, 13-0.
In 1954, Tony Rothrock rushed for three touchdowns to help Longview defeat Mount Pleasant, 27-6, at Lobo Stadium.
In 1971, the Lobos rushed for 307 yards with Chuck Boyd scoring two touchdowns along with four others tallying touchdowns in a 41-7 win over Palestine at Lobo Stadium.
In 1976, John Tyler took a 12-0 lead at halftime and a 12-7 lead into the 4th quarter before two Tim Martin one yard rushes pushed Longview to a 22-12 win over the Lions at Rose Stadium.
In 1982, Longview trailed 6-0 after one quarter before a three touchdown outburst in the second pushed the Lobos to a 26-6 victory over Lufkin at Lobo Stadium. The Panthers were held to 120 total yards on the night.
In 1993, Nacogdoches took a 10-7 lead in the 3rd quarter before L’Vendric Fite, Chris Butcher and Monte Rollins tallied for the Lobos in a 27-10 Longview win over the Dragons at Lobo Stadium.
In 1999, DeMarques Jones hauled in two touchdowns as Longview fell 17-7 to the Lufkin Panthers at Abe Martin Stadium. Walter Sharp was Longview’s lone tally of the night.
In 2004, Andy Tanner’s reception from 6 yards out gave Rockwall the lead midway through the 4th quarter before Vondrell McGee rushed in from 5 yards out with 2:12 to go in the contest to lift Longview to a 14-10 win over Rockwall at Wilkerson Stadium.
In 2010, Demetris Griffin hauled in a 62-yard pass to lift Mesquite Horn to a 8-7 lead over the Lobos entering the 4th quarter. J’Haston Faggans would answer in the 4th quarter from 15 yards out and the Lobo defense would hold as Longview knocked off Mesquite Horn, 13-8, at Lobo Stadium.

lobohowl2.GIF

West Brook beat Episcopal 56-10, not 49-10.

Also, setxsports and Texan Live broadcast West Brook games.

I know it sounds like some obvious John Madden ####, but this game will be won or lost in the turnover column. 

If Longview holds onto the ball, we edge West Brook. 

If we put the ball on the ground (or get picked off), the Bruins win. 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 10:43 AM, kingwolf said:

I agree....I think it is gold that we are going to get West Brook and West Mesquite before HP.  This will definitely push his defensive scheme and changes in the secondary.  West Brook will push deep on the post and over the middle routes.  West Mesquite should wear us out in zone coverage (if they have time to throw).  I would much rather get beat on a couple of deep balls from being over aggressive than letting them march down the field on 3-7 yard bubble screens or short passes.

While it'll be very important...I think the biggest element of this game may not be centered around purely defending the pass.

It's gonna be centered around something we havent seen in a while, maybe several seasons at this level.

Containing the QB.

4* athlete/safety and LSU commit Bryce Anderson is QBing this West Brook team. He's had success through the air no doubt but what most concerns me is the 343 yards and 5 TDs hes had on the ground through two games. That's over 170 ypg on the ground so far. He had 500 total yards and 6 TDs alone vs Tomball Memorial lol

It's gonna be on our front 7 to contain Anderson's feet and play disciplined assignment ball on read option plays. You wanna key on Anderson but not so much to where you lose site of a RB.

At the same time, our secondary has to be disciplined enough to stay in coverage, and let the front 7 deal with containing Anderson. So many times in the past....we gave up the big pass play vs dominant dual threats because a back safety wanted to come down and play the QB.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, longhorncrazy said:

West Brook beat Episcopal 56-10, not 49-10.

Also, setxsports and Texan Live broadcast West Brook games.

Cheers. Maxpreps had 49-10.

Didn’t put anything for broadcast yet cause King had said they were trying to get their own. But good to know about TexanLive.

25 minutes ago, ANTI said:

While it'll be very important...I think the biggest element of this game may not be centered around purely defending the pass.

It's gonna be centered around something we havent seen in a while, maybe several seasons at this level.

Containing the QB.

4* athlete/safety and LSU commit Bryce Anderson is QBing this West Brook team. He's had success through the air no doubt but what most concerns me is the 343 yards and 5 TDs hes had on the ground through two games. That's over 170 ypg on the ground so far. He had 500 total yards and 6 TDs alone vs Tomball Memorial lol

It's gonna be on our front 7 to contain Anderson's feet and play disciplined assignment ball on read option plays. You wanna key on Anderson but not so much to where you lose site of a RB.

At the same time, our secondary has to be disciplined enough to stay in coverage, and let the front 7 deal with containing Anderson. So many times in the past....we gave up the big pass play vs dominant dual threats because a back safety wanted to come down and play the QB.

In regards to defending the pass, I am thinking more about HP than anything else.  The more work we get before that game, the better.  Anderson is going to be a huge test for us and I am really glad we are going to get to see him.  He should be a great prep for Lone Star's QB Rangel.  This is a win win for us if we play well.

• Like 2

On 10/10/2020 at 11:41 AM, LoboFan07 said:

Yep. @jbabi86can tell you more about that team, as he was down there at West Brook for it. 

Impressive stuff from the Bruins.

All three of our games against them have been fun and exciting football. I’m still not over losing to them back in 2016. Completely fumbled that game away.

A memorable year. Man that was a long time ago. A la “Remember the Titans”. We finished second in district but that year they expanded to two teams. First runner up to when the state championship. What a great playoff run.  

4 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Cheers. Maxpreps had 49-10.

Didn’t put anything for broadcast yet cause King had said they were trying to get their own. But good to know about TexanLive.

Going off of Maxpreps is not a good idea. I was in attendance of the WB/Episcopal game. 56-10 was the final.