My Week 8 3A DI Rankings

Yoe09

3 hours ago, lionpride08 said:

I dont see a problem with it... Im not goin to tell the kids that dont get to play much not to score. The clock was running from the 2nd quarter on. What do you want the boys to do lay down? 3rd string was in and it didnt matter. We played Westwood in 18' and ended up beating them 78 to 0 and we started kicking field goals... Sometimes you cant help it

Difference between you and me.

Plus, I never said I wanted kids to lay down, but seems to me coaches can figure out ways not to score 91 points on a team that doesn't score at all. I just don't think scoring 91 points teaches kids anything. 

By the way you can always help it. JMO

4 hours ago, Golfingnut said:

I can see working on stuff and getting kids in the game that don't normally get in, but no way I'm scoring 91 points on a team that doesn't score. 

We put 85 on Tatum one year. Ole Andy Griffin didn’t play around. I’m kinda proud of it now. 😂😂😂

• LOL! 1

3 minutes ago, Golfingnut said:

Plus, I never said I wanted kids to lay down, but seems to me coaches can figure out ways not to score 91 points on a team that doesn't score at all. I just don't think scoring 91 points teaches kids anything. 

Help it by not letting your 3rd string score? Their is a sayin by coach mike ditka.. You want me to stop passing then stop blitzing... you dont like me scoring then stop me.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Golfingnut said:

I agree.

Box Score     1Q  2Q  3Q  4Q
Grandview    35   21   14   21
A+ Academy   0    0     0     0

No reason you should score 21 in the 4th when you're already winning 70 - 0. If Gilmer of all schools can find a way to slow down, so can Grandview. 

2 minutes ago, lionpride08 said:

Help it by not letting your 3rd string score? Their is a sayin by coach mike ditka.. You want me to stop passing then stop blitzing... you dont like me scoring then stop me.

Firstly, I doubt Academy was blitzing. Second, I don't care what Ditka said. Doesn't change my opinion.

1 minute ago, lionpride08 said:

Man we all know this is nonsense. Any team can slow down and chew up clock. 

3 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

I agree.

No reason you should score 21 in the 4th when you're already winning 70 - 0. If Gilmer of all schools can find a way to slow down, so can Grandview. 

Agreed. Friday night the whole 4th quarter there were only 2 series. One by each team. No points scored at all in the 4th.

The year SMU returned from the death penalty they faced Lou Holtz's power house Notre Dame Fighting Irish, who put their third string in the game in the fourth quarter.

They also played Andre Ware and the Houston Cougars run-n'-shoot, who kept their starters in to pad stats and hung 95 points on the Mustangs.

When asked later, guess which opponent the SMU players said they felt showed them more respect?

4 minutes ago, 88YoePride said:

The year SMU returned from the death penalty they faced Lou Holtz's power house Notre Dame Fighting Irish, who put their third string in the game in the fourth quarter.

They also played Andre Ware and the Houston Cougars run-n'-shoot, who kept their starters in to pad stats and hung 95 points on the Mustangs.

When asked later, guess which opponent the SMU players said they felt showed them more respect?

Yeah and I get that, but losses like that leave a stain on the program for a while. People remember it for years. 

23 hours ago, yoenation79 said:

09 No problem with the Yoemen at 23.  Troy will run ruff shod over that Balch defense next Friday and that will knock the Yoemen out the top 25.   Not sure about Troy still ranked ahead of McGregor after that offensive firework show they both put on with McGregor winning.

Better be careful before you get an invite to meet at the fieldhouse.

🤣

12 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Yeah and I get that, but losses like that leave a stain on the program for a while. People remember it for years. 

You're talking to a guy whose team got tagged for 80 points by our dreaded rival a couple years ago. Hey - What are ya gonna do? Kudos to them. Hell, they held us to 144 yds total offense Friday before last. And they ain't Grandview.

I'm an also an Aggie. Was I a tad perturbed when Denny let Bob Stoops hang 70 on my boys at Kyle Field? Bet your pimply sweaty ghost-white behind. But I hadn't thought about it in a couple years or more until just now.

It happened. You learn from it and you use it, and you move on.

12 hours ago, H3llR4z0r said:

I agree.

12 hours ago, Golfingnut said:

Agreed. Friday night the whole 4th quarter there were only 2 series. One by each team. No points scored at all in the 4th.

Exactly.... Listen I get letting the guys that dont get to play very often play and have fun, but when its 70-0 at the end of the 3rd, you should go into extra extra slow down mode, only run the ball right up the middle -- maybe GV did that IDK but scoring 21 in the 4th qtr of a game you are up 70-0 in seems really really excessive.... 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gamewatcher63 said:

So when we(Quitman) played White Oak in 1980 they hung 59 on us and we  scored 6. Could have been worse, they scored at will..... I think I got over it on the bus ride home....just sayin.

P.S. we were happy to score 6.....their Def. had not been scored on in district up to that game.  

59-6 is not even an argument, although unlike you I probably wouldn't have gotten over it so quickly. I remember as a kid watching the Cowboys play. I loved the Cowboys, and I'd sit there in front of my TV with my football and cheer when Dandy Don hit Bob Hayes with that TD pass and I'd love it when the Boys won and my Bears won and I'd be happy all week till the next game, but if either my Cowboys or Bears lost, I was depressed and mad all week. I didn't get over it. 😂

Like I said before, 91-45 or 91-59 score I might feel different, but 91-0? I just don't believe that's necessary. I don't care whether you have 1st, 2nd or 5th string in the game. I just don't think 91-0 shows much class, either to the boys that won or to those on the losing side.

Like I've said, it's just my opinion. 

45 minutes ago, gamewatcher63 said:

So when we(Quitman) played White Oak in 1980 they hung 59 on us and we  scored 6. Could have been worse, they scored at will..... I think I got over it on the bus ride home....just sayin.

P.S. we were happy to score 6.....their Def. had not been scored on in district up to that game.  

That 1980 defense was one of the best we’ve had. I think only 22 points given up all year and we had some great defenses. I believe we lost to Gilmer in district that year in a close game and I think they went to the fourth round. We went 9-1 that year. 

1 hour ago, Golfingnut said:

59-6 is not even an argument, although unlike you I probably wouldn't have gotten over it so quickly. I remember as a kid watching the Cowboys play. I loved the Cowboys, and I'd sit there in front of my TV with my football and cheer when Dandy Don hit Bob Hayes with that TD pass and I'd love it when the Boys won and my Bears won and I'd be happy all week till the next game, but if either my Cowboys or Bears lost, I was depressed and mad all week. I didn't get over it. 😂

Like I said before, 91-45 or 91-59 score I might feel different, but 91-0? I just don't believe that's necessary. I don't care whether you have 1st, 2nd or 5th string in the game. I just don't think 91-0 shows much class, either to the boys that won or to those on the losing side.

Like I've said, it's just my opinion. 

So instead of making claims about GV not having any class, why don't you mosey on over to www.zebrasportsnetwork.com, click the archive link and watch for yourself instead of just going off the score.

A+ Academy was a district game so GV had no choice in playing them.  I can promise you GV would have rather played someone to give them more of a challenge.  

GV played every kid on their 38 man roster..clock started to run in the 2nd quarter, starters started coming out in the 2nd quarter as well.  

I have seen lots of posts of.."well they should have take a knee".."they should have punted on first down"..."they should have run out of bounds"...that's nonsense..nothing is more humiliating then the other team not trying their best...GV ran 3 plays..dives, off tackle and wr screens all night...you can't ask some kid that was getting play time in his first varsity game to fall down or purposely go out of bounds when he has open field.

The real issue is A+ has no business being in 3A, as Tiger03lb mentioned, from having played them before..they are undersized and not very good at football...I mean they had players running into each other of offense in the backfield trying to run plays..

If GV played the starters into the 3rd quarter or were throwing bombs all night or calling timeout with :15 left to get one more play in then I would fully be behind you in your claim....this was not one of those situations.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Zebrafan93 said:

So instead of making claims about GV not having any class, why don't you mosey on over to www.zebrasportsnetwork.com, click the archive link and watch for yourself instead of just going off the score.

A+ Academy was a district game so GV had no choice in playing them.  I can promise you GV would have rather played someone to give them more of a challenge.  

GV played every kid on their 38 man roster..clock started to run in the 2nd quarter, starters started coming out in the 2nd quarter as well.  

I have seen lots of posts of.."well they should have take a knee".."they should have punted on first down"..."they should have run out of bounds"...that's nonsense..nothing is more humiliating then the other team not trying their best...GV ran 3 plays..dives, off tackle and wr screens all night...you can't ask some kid that was getting play time in his first varsity game to fall down or purposely go out of bounds when he has open field.

The real issue is A+ has no business being in 3A, as Tiger03lb mentioned, from having played them before..they are undersized and not very good at football...I mean they had players running into each other of offense in the backfield trying to run plays..

If GV played the starters into the 3rd quarter or were throwing bombs all night or calling timeout with :15 left to get one more play in then I would fully be behind you in your claim....this was not one of those situations.

Man 2020 has made people so darn soft.

I remember seeing Mart win 98-0....nothing was said they ran the same play over and over and over the other team even knew they were gonna run the same play hell the QB told them where they were gonna run the ball guess what the other team was just that bad and I have seen A+ play and zebra is right they are not very good at all I think Teague 8th grade bunch could beat them soundly.

• Like 2

Guest Tiger03lb
2 minutes ago, highschoolfootball99 said:

I remember seeing Mart win 98-0....nothing was said they ran the same play over and over and over the other team even knew they were gonna run the same play hell the QB told them where they were gonna run the ball guess what the other team was just that bad and I have seen A+ play and zebra is right they are not very good at all I think Teague 8th grade bunch could beat them soundly.

13 minutes ago, Zebrafan93 said:

I believe they don't have a jv, correct me if I'm wrong. But when we played them we had a lot of jv up for that game playing when we were in district last go round

1 hour ago, Zebrafan93 said:

I just might go watch it, but it won't change my opinion. 

I never said players should take a knee or punt on 1st down. That's a ridiculous argument. That would demean a team as much as beating them 91-0. 

It's evident they have the numbers to be in 3A D1. Personally,  I don't know much about them. How long have they had a football team? I can't say they are a horrible team. They were up against the #1 team in the state in 3A D1. I'm sure y'all can make a lot of teams look bad and I'm pretty sure y'all have more opportunities than just that game to play a lot of players. I saw it was only their 2nd game of the year. Many teams in 3A have played quite a few more than that. 

Look, I'm sure your coaches were in what they believed was an impossible situation, but i still believe 91-0 is ridiculous. I'll go watch the film and see if it changes my mind. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, highschoolfootball99 said:

I totally get it. I just disagree that it couldn't have been helped.

By the way, 2020 hasn't changed my opinion.  I haven't gone soft. I saw many a team in my life take beatings less than this one and I didn't agree with it then either.