My Week 8 3A DI Rankings

Yoe09

56 minutes ago, Golfingnut said:

I totally get it. I just disagree that it couldn't have been helped.

By the way, 2020 hasn't changed my opinion.  I haven't gone soft. I saw many a team in my life take beatings less than this one and I didn't agree with it then either. 

I’ve witnessed Jeff Traylor onside kicking when Gilmer was up 35-40 😂 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Racer55 said:

That 1980 defense was one of the best we’ve had. I think only 22 points given up all year and we had some great defenses. I believe we lost to Gilmer in district that year in a close game and I think they went to the fourth round. We went 9-1 that year. 

Blankenship was on the O-line and I was playing LB for the 2nd time ever. He wiped me out a few times. Fast forward and I joined the Air Force in 82 and I'm stationed in California. In 84 a new guy was transfered in from Europe across the hall from me and we started talking. Turns out he played for White Oak that year. Small world...

P.S. Gilmer won district and lost on penetrations to Van....who lost to Pitt....who won state that year.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Zebrafan93 said:

So instead of making claims about GV not having any class, why don't you mosey on over to www.zebrasportsnetwork.com, click the archive link and watch for yourself instead of just going off the score.

A+ Academy was a district game so GV had no choice in playing them.  I can promise you GV would have rather played someone to give them more of a challenge.  

GV played every kid on their 38 man roster..clock started to run in the 2nd quarter, starters started coming out in the 2nd quarter as well.  

I have seen lots of posts of.."well they should have take a knee".."they should have punted on first down"..."they should have run out of bounds"...that's nonsense..nothing is more humiliating then the other team not trying their best...GV ran 3 plays..dives, off tackle and wr screens all night...you can't ask some kid that was getting play time in his first varsity game to fall down or purposely go out of bounds when he has open field.

The real issue is A+ has no business being in 3A, as Tiger03lb mentioned, from having played them before..they are undersized and not very good at football...I mean they had players running into each other of offense in the backfield trying to run plays..

If GV played the starters into the 3rd quarter or were throwing bombs all night or calling timeout with :15 left to get one more play in then I would fully be behind you in your claim....this was not one of those situations.

Ok Zebrafan, I just finished watching the game. A few observations.

1) The Zebra DL is amazing. I say that having only watched this one game. I'll try and watch one of the other games against maybe a better opponent. The defense, especially the punt return team did pretty much everything they could to not make it worse. Big respect for the defense. Academy had to run the ball because the QB just didn't have time to throw, especially with all the low snaps he was getting.

2) The 2 kickoffs that Academy turned the ball over because they couldn't get to the ball hurt them. In fairness the kicks were short and took Zebra bounces. Can't ask for better kicks although I'm not sure the Zebra kicker was intending them to turn out that way. Lol

3) If it was indeed a running clock it was the slowest running clock I've ever seen. The clock didn't show on the video, so I just gave to take you and the play by play guys word for it. 

4) Y'all are right, Academy is not a good team, but having only play one game previously to this one, their play is expected. Also, as I've posted before, they were playing the #1 team in the state. Add to that the back to back defending state champions, well it had to be a little intimidating.

5) Look, I don't know how much y'all actually run the football. Probably not very much because you definitely didn't run much even after you knew you had the game in hand. You play a no huddle, spread offense, but it's not a true hurry up. You only ran 36 plays from scrimmage and 4 of those were called back for penalties, so of 32 plays, you ran the ball 8 times (4 TDs) and passed 24 (8 TDs). Now, it's pretty safe to say that if you had run the ball more you probably would have still scored. That's evident by the 4 plays called back for penalties, so I can't say because of the offense you run, that running the ball would have kept the scoring down. I do know teams that have used up whole quarters on one series by running the ball, so I'm kinda used to watching offenses that can go to the ground game to manage the clock and the score. 

My opinion hasn't changed on the 91 points, but I'll say y'all have a great team and I hope we make it far enough to meet up with y'all. Region 2 is going to be interesting. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Golfingnut said:

1) The Zebra DL is amazing. I say that having only watched this one game. I'll try and watch one of the other games against maybe a better opponent. The defense, especially the punt return team did pretty much everything they could to not make it worse. Big respect for the defense. Academy had to run the ball because the QB just didn't have time to throw, especially with all the low snaps he was getting.

2) The 2 kickoffs that Academy turned the ball over because they couldn't get to the ball hurt them. In fairness the kicks were short and took Zebra bounces. Can't ask for better kicks although I'm not sure the Zebra kicker was intending them to turn out that way. Lol

3) If it was indeed a running clock it was the slowest running clock I've ever seen. The clock didn't show on the video, so I just gave to take you and the play by play guys word for it. 

4) Y'all are right, Academy is not a good team, but having only play one game previously to this one, their play is expected. Also, as I've posted before, they were playing the #1 team in the state. Add to that the back to back defending state champions, well it had to be a little intimidating.

5) Look, I don't know how much y'all actually run the football. Probably not very much because you definitely didn't run much even after you knew you had the game in hand. You play a no huddle, spread offense, but it's not a true hurry up. You only ran 36 plays from scrimmage and 4 of those were called back for penalties, so of 32 plays, you ran the ball 8 times (4 TDs) and passed 24 (8 TDs). Now, it's pretty safe to say that if you had run the ball more you probably would have still scored. That's evident by the 4 plays called back for penalties, so I can't say because of the offense you run, that running the ball would have kept the scoring down. I do know teams that have used up whole quarters on one series by running the ball, so I'm kinda used to watching offenses that can go to the ground game to manage the clock and the score. 

My opinion hasn't changed on the 91 points, but I'll say y'all have a great team and I hope we make it far enough to meet up with y'all. Region 2 is going to be interesting. 

Down in South Texas Friday night 

Navarro 94-0 

Wimberly 88-0

Both teams were playing charters that have no business in 4A Div 2 football 

Navarro missed Fg's on purpose ran the clock etc did everything they could 

Sometimes when the other team fumbles to you, can’t field a kick etc things happen 

It’s frustrating thing many times for the winning team. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Coach0001 said:

Down in South Texas Friday night 

Navarro 94-0 

Wimberly 88-0

both teams they player were charters that have no business in 4A Div 2 football 

Navarro missed Fgs on purpose ran the clock etc did everything they could 

Sometimes when the other team fumbles to you can’t field a kick etc things happen 

It’s frustrating thing many times for the winning team. 

I get it. I'm sure it was frustrating for Grandview too. Hard to get in work when you can't play with the intensity needed to get better. 

Guest Tiger03lb
2 hours ago, Golfingnut said:

They probably got the best d line in 3a right now. #74 is a beast! Could've just ask me. Lol. I believe it is #9 their backer is quick and good too. Hate to say this, but it doesn't matter how many games A+ has under them, it would be the same. 

24 minutes ago, Tiger03lb said:

They probably got the best d line in 3a right now. #74 is a beast! Could've just ask me. Lol. I believe it is #9 their backer is quick and good too. Hate to say this, but it doesn't matter how many games A+ has under them, it would be the same. 

I'll have to go and watch your game against them. I thought it was 72 but I was watching 1. Lol, most of the time they were just standing there trying not to hurt anyone. Not sure the DBs got any work. 

35 minutes ago, Golfingnut said:

I'll have to go and watch your game against them. I thought it was 72 but I was watching 1. Lol, most of the time they were just standing there trying not to hurt anyone. Not sure the DBs got any work. 

Yah I think he means #72 and #4

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Golfingnut said:

Thanks for taking the time to watch..most folks wouldn't have.  And thanks for the kind words...Region 2 come playoff time is going to be a lot of fun and a challenge.  Whoever comes out will be battle tested for sure.

• Like 1

Guest Tiger03lb
10 minutes ago, Zebrafan93 said:

Yah I think he means #72 and #4

47 minutes ago, Golfingnut said:

Yep. Thanks! 

25 minutes ago, Zebrafan93 said:

Thanks for taking the time to watch..most folks wouldn't have.  And thanks for the kind words...Region 2 come playoff time is going to be a lot of fun and a challenge.  Whoever comes out will be battle tested for sure.

Good luck to y'all.

I'm watching the Malakoff game now.

Guest Tiger03lb
Just now, Golfingnut said:

Good luck to y'all.

I'm watching the Malakoff game now.

Nothing to see over here. We got nothing. 😆 I'd watch the Van or TC game. We made some changes since the TC though. 

On 10/10/2020 at 12:44 PM, Yoe09 said:
1. Grandview - W 91-0 over A+ Academy 
2. Brock - W 50-7 over Whitesboro  
3. Malakoff - W 35-0 over Groesbeck 
4. Pottsboro - W via forfeit over Commerce 
5. Gladewater - W 42-27 over Atlanta  
6. Mount Vernon - W 23-20 over Mineola 
7. East Chambers - W 58-13 over Anahuac  
8. Yoakum - W 23-3 over Boling 
9. Columbus - W 42-15 over Hitchcock  
10. Jim Ned - W 46-14 over Early  
11. Hallettsville - W over Hempstead via forfeit   
12. Wall - W 72-0 TLCA  
13. Jourdanton - W 51-0 over Cole   
14. Tatum - W 56-32 over New Boston 
15. Llano - W 49-17 over Comfort 
16. Shallowater- W 52-8 over Lamesa
17. Mineola - L 23-20 to Mount Vernon 
18. Rockdale - W 55-26 over Caldwell  
19. Lorena - OFF   
20. Troy - L 58-57 to McGregor 
21. Pilot Point - W 44-21 over Paradise   
22. Winnsboro - W 57-16 over Bonham  
23. Cameron Yoe - W 37-19 over Little River Academy  
24. Bushland - W 63-0 over Muleshoe
T25. West - W 14-6 over Whitney 
T25. Crockett - W 46-36 over Westwood  
T25. McGregor - W 58-57 over Troy 

Others: Industrial, Maypearl, Palacios, Blanco, Boyd, Comfort

Mind if I suggest that you also list each ranked teams next opponent? Like

Rank-Team(Next Opponent)-Last Score

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 9:29 PM, yoenation79 said:

09 No problem with the Yoemen at 23.  Troy will run ruff shod over that Balch defense next Friday and that will knock the Yoemen out the top 25.   Not sure about Troy still ranked ahead of McGregor after that offensive firework show they both put on with McGregor winning.

Weelllp, defense wasn't the problem. MacGregor pinned 58 on this Troy team. We couldn't manage 21??? With the talent we've got on this team???