The Smoakhouse Forums

The score last night was not a good representation of how the game went. Carthage whipped jasper all over the field. Jasper played with 2 safeties almost 20 yards deep every play, which is saying that they don’t want to get 50 hung on them. Jasper could not stop the run. Don’t get me wrong, Carthage did not play their best football, but I don’t see anybody in 4A DII even coming close to beating them. Jasper in my opinion, is not much better than Center. 

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

lol. I gonna be honest I did not read the article. I will though take it one step farther. Since 1968 when Jasper beat Carthage 42-8  you know what that makes the head to head record for our schools 2

Congrats to them C Dawgs.  Typical Carthage team.  Another well oiled machine.  My best wishes to yall for the rest of the season. Just maybe, we can play yall again before the season is finished

Jasper has beaten everyone they played pretty soundly, you are correct, but they also haven’t played a team that’s got a record better than .500. They are going to have to be big and strong to be a ba

On 10/10/2020 at 10:04 PM, BulldogBacker12 said:

Jasper has played Carthage pretty tough the last 2 times they have met as district opponents. In 2012 Carthage won 49-31 and in 2013 Carthage won 41-26. I expect this to be a closer game then some predict. They are 5-0 and have beaten everybody they’ve played soundly. I’m expecting a 42-21 type of game. If Carthage blows Jasper out, I’m not sure who will give them a good game this season. 

Was pretty close on my prediction. Jasper is a pretty good football team. Looks like if Jasper gets 2nd in D10 and WOS wins D11 they will play in the 2nd round of the playoffs. I think the winner of that game will play Carthage in the Region 3 Final (Quarterfinal). Interested to see the outcome of the WOS and Jasper game (unless something crazy happens). I think it’s pretty clear the top 3 teams in R3 are Carthage, WOS, and Jasper with Carthage being pretty far ahead of the other 2.

20 minutes ago, ronstopable said:

I realize Carthage is on another level but Rusk isn’t going to “roll over”. They have some speed and a some kids that will  hit you. Regardless of the final score Carthage will have to earn the win. 

Don’t get all hot under the collar.  My point is Carthage can afford to allow #13 to rest for up to four straight weeks (If needed) before he might be needed.  Take that as you wish.

9 minutes ago, Buckeyenation86 said:

The score last night was not a good representation of how the game went. Carthage whipped jasper all over the field. Jasper played with 2 safeties almost 20 yards deep every play, which is saying that they don’t want to get 50 hung on them. Jasper could not stop the run. Don’t get me wrong, Carthage did not play their best football, but I don’t see anybody in 4A DII even coming close to beating them. Jasper in my opinion, is not much better than Center. 

So Jasper ran cover 2...

9 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

They shut Horton down.  😂

Congrats on that.............had over 200 yards rushing.   Surratt will take whatever you want to give.   2 safeties 20 yards away, only 3 down lineman, and the running game is gonna take over.  

11 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

They shut Horton down.  😂

No they didn’t. They were forcing Carthage to run the ball and I guess they thought they could stop it, but they couldn’t. Carthage ran the ball at will all night. If your going to have a certain game plan to think you can stop “the run”, you better stop it. You would think Jasper would have switched something up. 

Just now, bmoc said:

Congrats on that.............had over 200 yards rushing.   Surratt will take whatever you want to give.   2 safeties 20 yards away, only 3 down lineman, and the running game is gonna take over.  

I was being sarcastic.

33 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

This is an obvious statement but just want to say it out loud. Mason Courtney is really good. He is fun to watch. He pounds defenses. Finishes every run. I can’t really see one weakness in his game. 

Barbay's pre game comments on courtney were that he wasn't overpowering, they could tackle him just matter of doing it.  I'm going to guess he has a little more respect for the young man today.  

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Don’t get all hot under the collar.  My point is Carthage can afford to allow #13 to rest for up to four straight weeks (If needed) before he might be needed.  Take that as you wish.

What? I’m not hot. You asked if Rusk would “ have anything for them?” I’m just saying they will most certainly have something. Not enough to win but they will show up and give it a shot. 

17 minutes ago, house said:

Barbay's pre game comments on courtney were that he wasn't overpowering, they could tackle him just matter of doing it.  I'm going to guess he has a little more respect for the young man today.  

I guess he has not paid close attention. He has hammered defenses the past 2 years. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, ronstopable said:

What? I’m not hot. You asked if Rusk would “ have anything for them?” I’m just saying they will most certainly have something. Not enough to win but they will show up and give it a shot. 

I think SS and the Dawg staff expect everyone’s best each week.  That comes with the territory when you are the defending champs with the #1 ranking.

2 hours ago, house said:

I’ve noticed a trend with the opposing coaches and broadcasters each week. Courtney does not get much respect and love and then every week goes out there and runs people over, getting all the tough extra yards. 

13 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

I’ve noticed a trend with the opposing coaches and broadcasters each week. Courtney does not get much respect and love and then every week goes out there and runs people over, getting all the tough extra yards. 

Yeah I think they assume it’s all in the OL.  No doubt it helps to run behind the 2018, 2019 & 2020 Dawg OL’s.  But  any coach that watches the film will see #2 always gets positive yards, rarely goes down on first contact, takes care of the ball, has great hands as a receiver, and has surprising speed.  He is most certainly a complete back.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

They did, so we ran the ball. 🙂

You are so right.

The best way to describe the Dawgs offense is PICK YOUR POSION.

You stop the run, you give up the pass, you stop the pass, you give up the run.

Carthage Dawgs do both equally well. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, powerlifter said:

thanks  smiles are you sure of that over and over  stuff ,wade will surely be missed  now other teams will have  just one kid to watch  not your best wr just saying.

Other teams will have just one kid to watch? Am I reading that correctly?

20 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

So Jasper ran cover 2...

Most plays they had one corner back almost as deep as the safeties. It was almost a cover 3. Guess they thought their front 7 could stop the run without safety help. Guess the thinking was make them earn it on the ground and not give up the big throws.

• Like 2

Barbay emphasised in the pregame talk the need to stop the big play which he indicated as a big part of the Carthage offense.  Think he overdid it a little.  

Was nice of Jasper to call those last time outs to allow the Carthage second string to get a few extra plays experience. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, house said:

Barbay emphasised in the pregame talk the need to stop the big play which he indicated as a big part of the Carthage offense.  Think he overdid it a little.  

Was nice of Jasper to call those last time outs to allow the Carthage second string to get a few extra plays experience. 

It's cute that a few fans on that forum down south are proud of that 35-18 score.  Nevermind that J's only td in the 2nd half came with less than 10 secs left to play in the game and it was against our 2's. Lol

• Haha 1
On 10/11/2020 at 11:11 AM, SloppyJoe said:

Bulldogs. Gotta go with the red and white!

Caldt it

2 hours ago, DAWG91 said:

It's cute that a few fans on that forum down south are proud of that 35-18 score.  Nevermind that J's only td in the 2nd half came with less than 10 secs left to play in the game and it was against our 2's. Lol

Oh well, Surratt said it was the worst game the Bulldogs have played this year, and I’d tend to agree. Also, Horton was way off Friday night and the center had troubles in the shotgun snap. Just kind of sloppy. 

The defense played well and the OL did too. On to the next with an opportunity to improve.

17 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Oh well, Surratt said it was the worst game the Bulldogs have played this year, and I’d tend to agree. Also, Horton was way off Friday night and the center had troubles in the shotgun snap. Just kind of sloppy. 

The defense played well and the OL did too. On to the next with an opportunity to improve.

Yep.  Worst offensive performance against the #4 ranked team in D2 at their house.  First string D gave up one TD and 2's gave up 1 + the 2 point conversion with 6 seconds left in the game.  Offense struggled and still scored 35 points. Cherry on top:  I think #2 for the Red Dawgs had more rushing yards that J's rb.  I'll take it!

• Like 1