playoffs are near

powerlifter

36 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

I believe that is accurate . PG has a shot being the defending champion. Good team but that Carthage game was telling for me. That not a knock on them but Carthage is so good.

Argyle and Carthage just seems to have the most impressive teams so far. 

I agree as well. Carthage is the definite favorite as of now in Div 2  I do think the PG game is a tad misleading though Carthage was clearly the winner. I believe PG had some Lineman out and their QB just pretty much melted down from what I could tell. Uncharacteristic of that team. It will be interesting to see if they meet up again at State. Both teams should be improved at that point so I still think carthage has the edge but Football is a crazy game. As for D1 Argyle is my pick. That offensive line is HUGE and Athletic

1 hour ago, TexasFootballGuru said:

I agree as well. Carthage is the definite favorite as of now in Div 2  I do think the PG game is a tad misleading though Carthage was clearly the winner. I believe PG had some Lineman out and their QB just pretty much melted down from what I could tell. Uncharacteristic of that team. It will be interesting to see if they meet up again at State. Both teams should be improved at that point so I still think carthage has the edge but Football is a crazy game. As for D1 Argyle is my pick. That offensive line is HUGE and Athletic

I don't think it was misleading at all.  I think the game will be roundabout the same if they play again in the playoffs. If not worse.  The way Carthage plays and what they run prior to the last few rounds of the playoffs is a small fraction of what they can and will do in the endgame.  And their best players wont always be playing in their best positions until then.  

The "QB meltdown" is not just that he all of a sudden started playing badly.  The front 7 were getting pressure and the secondary was making great plays on the ball.  If  you watched the game you know it wasn't just attributed to bad throws.  Like the play where little number 9 or whatever it was from Carthage snagged the INT on the pass meant for big 40.  You can tell 40 is more comfortable on defense because from what I have seen in a few games on offense he does not come back to or fight for the ball so well as natural receivers do.  That little DB just took it right out from under him.  

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the game twice Last week. Neither team Carthage or PG was showing many cards during the game. Very Vanilla play calling. PG did look like a totally different team (uncharacteristic for PG) when they came out after the half though. You can’t make those kind of miscues on a team like Carthage! 

13 hours ago, HawkNation12 said:

I watched the game twice Last week. Neither team Carthage or PG was showing many cards during the game. Very Vanilla play calling. PG did look like a totally different team (uncharacteristic for PG) when they came out after the half though. You can’t make those kind of miscues on a team like Carthage! 

From what I hear, PG lost number 40 for the rest of the year. Sad to hear that. 
I will say I don’t believe PG could beat Carthage with him but I know PG can’t without him. 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2020 at 8:40 AM, TexasFootballGuru said:

I have seen multiple PG games on film since the PG vs Carthage game.  I haven’t seen a lot of improvement in the young QB in the passing game.  He has the tools but still hasn’t put it all together consistently.  It may be 2021 before we see it.

On 10/15/2020 at 11:44 AM, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

They are good not good enough . Argyle got this since they beat Vega and Carthage is not a factor for once.

They beat Vega last year also if i'm not mistaken. Their offense is good enough but not the defense.

On 10/16/2020 at 8:50 AM, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Add in the fact of Argyle they have been known to flop against Vega in the playoffs. You never know they could have been the dynasty that Carthage is if they finished up. The program  has no business only having one or two rings.

Argyle in the past has always been overrated

On 10/15/2020 at 11:44 AM, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

They are good not good enough . Argyle got this since they beat Vega and Carthage is not a factor for once.

Argyle beat LV in september,  which appears to be customary at this point.  Lol  Let's see what happens in december.  How many times has argyle been ranked 1st last 10 years?  How many titles do they have in that same time span?  1?  Not dissing them,  they're a top notch program,  I just wish the # of titles matched the annual hype.