Week Four: Longview vs West Mesquite

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (3-1) vs West Mesquite Wranglers (0-4)  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • West Mesquite in a close one
    • West Mesquite in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/24/2020 at 12:30 AM

longview.pngwestmesquite.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (3-1) VS WEST MESQUITE WRANGLERS (0-4)

DATE: Friday, October 23rd, 2020
TIME: 7:30 PM
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: 106.5 FM JACK FM
WEST MESQUITE BROADCAST: n/a
VIDEO STREAM: Longview ISD Athletics

longview.png SERIES TIED 0-0-0 westmesquite.png

The two schools have never played a non-district contest.
The two schools have never played a district contest.
The two schools have never played a playoff contest.
The two schools have never played at a neutral location.
The two schools have never played played at Longview.
The two schools have never played played at West Mesquite.
The two schools have never played at Lobo Stadium.
The two schools have never played on October 23rd.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES
First Meeting.
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW
Longview headed into Lufkin's Abe Martin Stadium fresh off back to back victories against two programs the Lobos have dominated for the better part of two decades. They were set to face off against the West Brook Bruins, a team looking for revenge from the 2018 6A Division II State Championship game that saw the Lobos escape with a one point victory. The situation was pretty similar to the first game of the season against the Temple Wildcats, who were also looking for revenge following a post season loss to the Lobos. Unlike that first game, Longview showed up from the get go, behind the passing of Jordan Allen, the receiving of Jalen Hale and the senior leadership of Kaden Meredith. With a stifling second half defense to accompany their potent offense on the ground, the Lobos rolled past the 6A Bruins with a 51-28 victory. It was a game that these young Lobos really needed a statement in and they lived up to the billing controlling the game throughout despite the one score halftime lead. With the win, the Lobos have rebounded for three consecutive victories after their season opening loss and head into district play feeling much better about themselves than they were to start the 2020 season. Longview also won their second consecutive game at Abe Martin Stadium for the first time since 1991-1993. A feat even some of Longview's best teams have not been able to replicate. The Lobos, still rotating quarterbacks, has seen Jordan Allen find a rhythm with sophomore phenom Jalen Hale, as the sophomore now has five touchdowns on the season, one of the most by a sophomore receiver in school history. Kaden Meredith's five touchdown day saw him reach 3,000 total yards as a Lobo on top of reaching top 5 in touchdowns scored in total and rushing scores in Lobo history. As the Lobos end non-district play, the unfamiliar begins as the Lobos will face three new schools in district play, along with one team they haven't met in 44 seasons and another they haven't met in 34 seasons. First up on the new docket, is the West Mesquite Wranglers. The Lobos and Wranglers meet for the first time in completely different positions as programs as you could be. The Wranglers have failed to make the post season every year since 2016, with their deepest run coming in 2007 when the Wranglers fell 49-6 in the State Semi-Finals to Highland Park. West Mesquite enters district play with a 0-4 record, a 6-game losing streak overall and with just two wins their last 14 games overall. The Lobos, however, enter district play having won 40 of their last 43 overall ball games. The Lobos start 5A Division I play with John King holding a 90-6 overall district record since becoming head coach at Longview back in 2004. Longview has won 18 overall district contests, having not lost a district game since a 2017 game at Mesquite Horn. The Lobos also have won 20 consecutive ball games at Lobo Stadium. Under Jonh King, Longview is 14-2 in district openers, with the only losses coming in 2012 and in 2017. For Longview, this will be the fourth Mesquite ISD program they have faced out of the five Mesquite ISD schools. The Lobos are 37-7 overall against Mesquite ISD. On top of that, the Lobos have not lost to a Mesquite ISD program at Lobo Stadium since 1988. Longview is 19-2 against Mesquite ISD at Lobo Stadium, with both losses coming to North Mesquite.

WEEK FOUR 7-5A DIVISION I RESULTS:
Longview 51 Beaumont West Brook 28
Highland Park 46 at Rockwall 18
McKinney North 14 Rockwall Heath 56
Sherman 14 McKinney 24
Tyler 27 Mesquite Horn 41
West Mesquite 7 Keller Timber Creek 27
Wylie East - Canceled/COVID

WEEK FIVE 7-5A DIVISION I SCHEDULE:
West Mesquite at Longview
Tyler at McKinney North
Wylie East at Sherman
Highland Park - BYE

DISTRICT 7-5A DIVISION I STANDINGS
1st. Highland Park (2-0, 0-0)
2nd. Longview (3-1, 0-0)
3rd. Wylie East (1-1, 0-0)
4th. Sherman (1-3, 0-0)
5th. McKinney North (0-3, 0-0)
6th. Tyler (0-3, 0-0)
7th. West Mesquite (0-4, 0-0)

DISTRICT 8-5A DIVISION I OVERVIEW
Last Week - College Station defeated New Caney Porter 24-14, Magnolia defeated Lufkin 26-24, Magnolia West defeated Cleveland 49-8, Waller defeated Conroe Caney Creek 56-6. New Caney was off.
This Week - Magnolia hosts Cleveland. Magnolia West hosts Conroe Caney Creek. New Caney host College Station. New Caney Porter hosts Lufkin. Waller is off.

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 3-1 (0-0)
District: 7-5A Division I
Coach: John King (182-38 in 16 seasons) (Playoffs: 41-15)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 742-348-52 (Playoffs: 70-42-1)
Playoff Appearances: 45
Last Playoff Appearance: 2019, Class 6A Division II Area Round
State Championships (2): 1937 (1A), 2018 (6A D2)
State Championship Appearances (5): 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1), 2018 (6A D2)
SCHEDULE:
09.25 - v. Temple (in Arlington) - Loss 40-13
10.02- at Marshall - Win 53-21
10.09 - vs Tyler Legacy - Win 37-14
10.15 - v. Beaumont West Brook (in Lufkin) - Win 51-28
10.23 - vs West Mesquite
10.30 - at Wylie East
11.06 - vs Highland Park
11.13 - at Sherman
11.27 - vs McKinney North
12.04 - at Tyler

WEST MESQUITE WRANGLERS
Record: 0-4 (0-0)
District: 7-5A Division I
Coach: Frank Sandoval (0-4 in 1 season) (Playoffs: 0-0)
First Year of Football: 1982
All-Time Record: 199-201-3 (Playoffs: 8-12-0)
Playoff Appearances: 12
Last Playoff Appearance: 2016, 5A Division I Area Round
State Championships (0):
State Championship Appearances (0):
SCHEDULE:
09.25 - vs Waco - Loss 32-23
10.02 - v. Mesquite Poteet - Loss 40-14
10.09 - at Fort Worth Chisholm Trail - Loss 22-15
10.16 - vs Keller Timber Creek - Loss 27-7
10.23 - at Longview
10.30 - vs McKinney North
11.06 - at Tyler
11.19 - vs Wylie East
11.27 - at Highland Park
12.04 - vs Sherman

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: October 23rd
In 1914, Marshall rolled over Longview, 31-0, at Turney Park.
In 1925, Longview knocked off Carthage, 13-0, at Fair Park in Longview.
In 1931, Longview and Jefferson battled to a 0-0 tie at Fair Park in Longview.
In 1936, the Lobos knocked off Texas High, 26-0, at Lobo Stadium.
In 1942, J.T. Jeffress rushed in from two yards out in the first quarter, before Robert Crowley and Ken Abney added third quarter scores in a 21-0 Lobo win at Kilgore.
In 1964, Longview jumped out to a 14-0 lead in the first quarter thanks to David Reese and Glen Cobb touchdowns. But the Rebels battled back, and two 4th quarter touchdowns sealed the Tyler Lee victory at Longview, 22-14.
In 1981, Tracey Holmes rushed for a 57-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter with 7 minutes to go and the Tiger defense held strong, as Texas High knocked of Longview, 14-11, at Lobo Stadium. Jessie Hunter scored the only Lobo touchdown on the night.
In 1987, Marshall grabbed a 17-7 lead in the second quarter thanks to two Odell Beckham scores, but Longview’s Mike Bobo would take over the game with three straight scores as Longview defeated Marshall, 34-22, at Lobo Stadium. Longview rushed for 378 yards on the night.
In 1992, Chad Daniels started the scoring for Longview with a 6 yard reception in the second quarter and that would snowball on the Red Raiders as the Lobos rolled over Tyler Lee, 42-14, at Rose Stadium. Longview racked up 482 yards on the ground, holding the Red Raiders to 53.
In 2009, Carey Fortson opened the contest with a 98-yard kickoff return and that was just a preview of the night. The Lobos would roll all over Hallsville at Bobcat Stadium, 45-0. The Bobcats were held to 94 total yards, while 7 different Lobos would tally.
In 2015, in a downpour at Sam Parker Field, 8 different Lobos would score, including two fumble return touchdowns as Longview rolled Mount Pleasant, 51-0. The Tigers were held to 53 yards on the night.

lobohowl2.GIF

11 hours ago, ANTI said:

Actually would like to see us work on the pass this week. More Grant.

Think these next two games we definitely need to see this. 

West’s defense wasn’t the worst I’ve seen, but Timber Creek was pulling away from them speed wise so no doubt Longview’s speed is going to be extremely different for them.

Their offense was just so basic and they couldn’t do anything at all vs TC, which has been the case all season from the looks of it.

Get out early and put things away and then work on what needs to be worked on.

15 hours ago, ANTI said:

Actually would like to see us work on the pass this week. More Grant.

I am really hoping he works on developing the short passing game....I don't care if it is 42-0 after the first quarter, this young team needs the work.  Tell the players to step out of bounds inside the 5 and take a knee a few times and then kick a field goal...we have to much work to do for the first team not to play into the second half.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

solid write up....that game with HP is going to be huge!  #2 definitely will have a pretty difficult road in the playoffs...

19 hours ago, kingwolf said:

solid write up....that game with HP is going to be huge!  #2 definitely will have a pretty difficult road in the playoffs...

Honestly, it's not out of the realm of possibilities that if Longview were to start in the post season as the #2 seed that their path would be...

1st. College Station/Magnolia West (perhaps Lufkin)
2nd. Lancaster
3rd. Denton Ryan
4th. Highland Park
5th. Lubbock Coronado/Amarillo Tascosa/Abilene Cooper
6th. Richmond Foster/Cedar Park/Manvel

I mean...that's just as tough, if not tougher..especially in our own region, that we would've had in 6A.

Winning that game means we'd get the 4th seed from the southern district, then Frisco Wakeland, then probably Lone Star who I still think is down..before one of Highland Park/Denton Ryan.

It's a massive advantage this season.

2 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Honestly, it's not out of the realm of possibilities that if Longview were to start in the post season as the #2 seed that their path would be...

2nd. Lancaster
3rd. Denton Ryan
4th. Highland Park

I mean...that's just as tough, if not tougher..especially in our own region, that we would've had in 6A.

Winning that game means we'd get the 4th seed from the southern district, then Frisco Wakeland, then probably Lone Star who I still think is down..before one of Highland Park/Denton Ryan.

Both paths will be challenging but yeah...no doubt you want that #1.

I was telling JB after our game against West Brook that the only other QB in all of 5AD1 that shares the same level of play style as Anderson at WB is Glenn Rice at Lancaster. Rice is a problem. Had 3,000 yards last year as a sophomore....killing it so far this year.

Lone Star is....weird. I hate to call them down but they clearly aren't what they've been the past few years....and to me...its probably the Rockwall effect which I suspected would happen. They miss WR Marvin Mims who graduated and is now killing it at OU now as a freshmen. Like Jaxon Smith for Rockwall....most of Lone Star's offense revolved around Mims the past few years. Still think they're tough though.

Also, bad first game against Ennis...I know...but Red Oak can't be forgotten in Region 1. Mansfield Summit either.

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

I was telling JB after our game against West Brook that the only other QB in all of 5AD1 that shares the same level of play style as Anderson at WB is Glenn Rice at Lancaster. Rice is a problem. Had 3,000 yards last year as a sophomore....killing it so far this year.

Lone Star is....weird. I hate to call them down but they clearly aren't what they've been the past few years....and to me...its probably the Rockwall effect which I suspected would happen. They miss WR Marvin Mims who graduated and is now killing it at OU now as a freshmen. Like Jaxon Smith for Rockwall....most of Lone Star's offense revolved around Mims the past few years. Still think they're tough though.

Also, bad first game against Ennis...I know...but Red Oak can't be forgotten in Region 1. Mansfield Summit either.

There's no doubt Lancaster is a great team this season. We just don't know HOW good they are with that horrendous district they're in. And I still don't think we'll know how good they are even after that first round game.

Much rather Highland Park find out than ourselves, for obvious reasons.

6 hours ago, ANTI said:

The usual with lancaster it’ll change in the playoffs as it does every year for them

10 minutes ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

The usual with lancaster it’ll change in the playoffs as it does every year for them

they have pushed HP the last few years....I have always known that once they get a coach and a system down, then they will be a regional contender on an annual basis....

9 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

2nd. Lancaster
3rd. Denton Ryan
4th. Highland Park

For sure is an advantage...I also don't want to face HP twice in a season winning the first game most likely saves a second game....I don't think they get past DR...I also think Coronado is a dark horse...Tascosa seems to be solid but LC may surprise a lot of people...

6 hours ago, ANTI said:

I don't know what to think about how they will do...that region is not as hard as R2 but will definitely be pretty solid...we will get a solid team in the state semis.

7 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

For sure is an advantage...I also don't want to face HP twice in a season winning the first game most likely saves a second game....I don't think they get past DR...I also think Coronado is a dark horse...Tascosa seems to be solid but LC may surprise a lot of people...

My personal opinion....Amarillo High will be the best out of Amarillo. Darkhorse out West in R1.

11 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

they have pushed HP the last few years....I have always known that once they get a coach and a system down, then they will be a regional contender on an annual basis....

Yeah, people forget they've played for a SC under this current coaching staff.