Joaquin Rams (7-0, 3-0) at Shelbyville Dragons (2-3, 1-1)

trueblue82

Shelby County Slugfest   

30 members have voted

1. 1. Rams or Dragons?

• Joaquin Rams (7-0, 3-0)
    • Shelbyville Dragons (2-3, 1-1)

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm not in Sville anymore but know the rivalry. For my family it traces back to the 50's. 

I was involved with the core of the current team in youth ball so I'm particularly interested in this game. 

Joaquin has been good for a long time. Going back to the 90's they started winning consistently and have built up a tradition. Shelbyville kind of fell off around the same time but have had some good teams here and there with a couple of contenders. My opinion. 

The current group of Dragons are a LOT better than last year! They are also playing better than they were at the beginning of this season. They have had to learn a new offense pretty much every year since they were 7th graders. Which has hurt them I think. 

Should be a classic Shelbyville/Joaquin battle! Probably decided late by less than one score. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

I've only vaguely kept up with Joaquin over the last several years.  Is this looking like the best team they have fielded in recent memory? Outside of them being unbeaten I just don't know much.  

They don't have as good of a backfield as they have had the past couple of years, but they seem to have the best group of offensive linemen they have had in a while, and they really just seem to be executing that offense well this year. The defense is also pretty scrappy. They're very well coached.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, firebreathingreptilian said:

They don't have as good of a backfield as they have had the past couple of years, but they seem to have the best group of offensive linemen they have had in a while, and they really just seem to be executing that offense well this year. The defense is also pretty scrappy. They're very well coached.

And we all know that the online makes the offense fo

6 hours ago, mikehoncho said:

I've only vaguely kept up with Joaquin over the last several years.  Is this looking like the best team they have fielded in recent memory? Outside of them being unbeaten I just don't know much.  

This team is not as athletic as last year’s team. It has some really good athletes on it for sure, but no one in the league with Connor Bragg. We have several young kids that have the capability of growing into the caliber of athletes that we graduated. The strength of this team is the O-line and the ginormous chip they have on their shoulder. Since the end of last season, all they’ve heard is how they were going to fall out of sight after graduating so many starters. They have used that as motivation to be better prepared than their opponents, mentally and physically, each week. Youth has shown up in penalties and turnovers. Football games are won and lost in the trenches. Shelbyville’s defensive front seven is head and shoulders better than anyone we’ve seen. That said, I think the Rams are up to the challenge. 

47 minutes ago, Indaeast said:

Is this game being streamed?  Sorry if someone has already answered this question.

Not that I know of. I found out today that KQBB is covering Tenaha/ Cushing. As you know, cell service in Shelbyville is less than reliable  Hopefully folks that are there can keep us updated.