(5-1, 2-1) Cushing vs. (5-2, 4-0) Tenaha @ The Pit

HulaKat

After 2 early turnovers, No 7 in at QB, No 17 out and on the bench picking up splinters. Tigers abandoned the spread and went to the old straight T formation and played smash mouth football, stop me if you can, running between the tackles. No 1 broke TD runs of 70  and 52 yards and the Tigers never looked back. Tigers rotated 5 running backs who ate up a lots of real-estate. No 17 came back in in the 4th quarter and cranked up the passing game and hit Tutt with a 25 yd TD pass.  

When Cushing lost their big back No 4, early in the 3rd quarter, their offense had trouble moving the ball. It appeared he suffered a knee injury. 

Turnovers, 3 on the night, and bone head penalties, too many to count, continue to be a big issue.   

22 minutes ago, Unashamed said:

The interception in the endzone by the freshman doesn't show up in those stats but it absolutely changed that game.  

We had a disastrous start to this game with back to back turnovers and a turnover on downs at the 1 on our first 3 possessions but they were able to bounce back.  

The receiver was wide open in the back of the end zone, the throw was way off target. 

14 hours ago, Grayghost said:

After 2 early turnovers, No 7 in at QB, No 17 out and on the bench picking up splinters. Tigers abandoned the spread and went to the old straight T formation and played smash mouth football, stop me if you can, running between the tackles. No 1 broke TD runs of 70  and 52 yards and the Tigers never looked back. Tigers rotated 5 running backs who ate up a lots of real-estate. No 17 came back in in the 4th quarter and cranked up the passing game and hit Tutt with a 25 yd TD pass.  

When Cushing lost their big back No 4, early in the 3rd quarter, their offense had trouble moving the ball. It appeared he suffered a knee injury. 

Turnovers, 3 on the night, and bone head penalties, too many to count, continue to be a big issue.   

Yea, #4 will be missed.  We do not know the diagnosis at this time but he has been fighting a nagging new injury since he was a sophomore.

Bearjats gad some opportunities, but in the end Tenaha had too much firepower and depth... cleaning the turnover and dead call penalties could lend to a deep run... Tigers have the talent to play with everyone.

I was surprised when they lined up in the straight T and started just running up the middle and and off tackle.  That lent to working over #4 Cade Willis from his middle linebacker spot and getting hit on every play while either running the ball on after the fake on the option.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, HulaKat said:

Yea, #4 will be missed.  We do not know the diagnosis at this time but he has been fighting a nagging new injury since he was a sophomore.

Bearjats gad some opportunities, but in the end Tenaha had too much firepower and depth... cleaning the turnover and dead call penalties could lend to a deep run... Tigers have the talent to play with everyone.

I was surprised when they lined up in the straight T and started just running up the middle and and off tackle.  That lent to working over #4 Cade Willis from his middle linebacker spot and getting hit on every play while either running the ball on after the fake on the option.

When they went to the straight T, I had a flash back to when I played in the late 50's, early 60s. I don't like the way the QB pitches the ball to the back instead of handing it off.  

5 minutes ago, Unashamed said:

Broken bone, strong right,  twins left.  Featuring Stacy Thompson at split end, Anthony Robertson in the slot,  Robert Bowden at fullback,  Daryll Robertson at tailback and blue chip Craig Henderson at tight end.  Please feel free to educate me about mid 90's Tenaha football.  

Willie Pipkin, Stacy Thompson, Bronson Holmes, some little bitty guy was nose guard that would cause all kinds of havoc.... and I was more early 90’s than mid ... 90-94. I won one of the 4yrs.....45-0 that was a mistake cuz the next year the beat the #### out me 35-0 the next year and my senior year was a defensive struggle of a 6-0 loss.... I didn’t have my RB that game and lined up at every position on the field....I can’t ever remember Tigers being terrible at any period of time.....alot of tough gritty athletic kids always

6 minutes ago, Unashamed said:

And we ran wishbone every one of those years.  We always had multiple sets though. Coach Jackson brought the wishbone with him from Tomball.   Joey Latham was an excellent running quarterback but he didn't run much.  We ran the veer for 20 years.   And from 96 till 98 we ran the freeze.  

I graduated 95 with Craig Henderson and that little bitty guy you're talking about.   Craig's son Zaycoven played at Texas a&m.   The little bitty guy was Shonte Thomas.   His son TJ Thomas started 4 years and played in 2 state championship games.   

When we went broken bone our motion designations were Rip/Rose or Liz/Load.  The R and L were for left or right,  I and O were for inside and outside.   

@LOLcan probably confirm this because he saw us in the wishbone during those same years.  

Guess I didn’t recognize it as wishbone cuz y’all threw the ball. We ran double tight end straight wishbone and only threw a tight end hot pass.... of which I couldn’t complete as a sophomore or we would’ve been unstoppable....

6 hours ago, Unashamed said:

We also ran twins and trips.  

I only heard about these teams and players. I missed watching Tiger football in the 70s-90s, with a few exceptions, since my job had me in some God forsaken countries. Retired in '03 and have been trying to makeup for lost time ever since. Make them all now even though I live 3-1/2 hours away.    

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Unashamed said:

That's why you're Tenahas best super fan!  

In 1996 I was working in Stavanger Norway and I found out the Tigers were playing Windthorst for the 1A State Championship the next day. I hopped a plane to London, to Houston, picked up my oldest son at Sam Houston, in Huntsville, and made to Bedford Tx in time for the kickoff.  I did something similar in '98 when I was working in Dammam Saudi Arabia, but I worked things out to make all the playoff games.    

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Unashamed said:

Yall also had a trips package I believe with that guy I think his name was John Koltonsky.   Only wide receiver I ever seen wear a neck roll.  

That was after my time. We didn’t have 3 guys that could catch. My senior year we literally dressed 14 kids

On 10/24/2020 at 10:14 PM, Unashamed said:

@LOLcan probably confirm this because he saw us in the wishbone during those same years.  

We watched film of every Tenaha game that season. I'd almost swear y'all never lined up in anything other than full-house sets. We knew if we kept y'all's backs inside the tackles, we could limit the run game. Latham was only an average runner (as far as we could tell). We weren't concerned about the pass game because y'all hadn't shown much interest in it up to that point.  

First offensive series y'all lined up in trips and twins sets. Latham started throwing it all over the place. Defense was on its heels all night. That (combined with 10-15 fumbles from our backs) made it an easy win at The Pit. The game was nowhere near as close as the final score. 

Just got flat-out outcoached and outplayed. 

4 hours ago, Unashamed said:

It's all in the philosophy of use really.   Here Oklahoma is in the wishbone but driving down field passing the ball the entire way.   So many college football dynasties were built around the wishbone offense from the 50's all the way to the 80's and Nebraska  in  the 90's some too.  Its always been my favorite to watch especially the veer and the freeze. 

Bear Bryant used the wishbone to resurrect Alabama in the early ‘70s. He even got Bud Wilkinson to loan him a young assistant coach named Darryl Royal to come to Tuscaloosa and work with his QBs on give/ keep/ pitch. They kept the switch a secret, switching in practice back to their old pro-style offense anytime media showed up at practice. They flew to LA for the opener and shocked highly ranked USC. BAMA won 3 national titles in the 70s running the bone. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Unashamed said:

Yeah by the age of 3 you probably hadn't developed bad tastes quite yet.  

Lol, yeah I had, actually.

I was four years old in 1980, and already a diehard Miami Hurricanes fan at that point. I watched a young Jim Kelly upset Florida at the Swamp, with pissed off Gator fans hurling oranges onto the field. I despised Barry Switzer and the cheating Sooners, and reveled every time we beat those hicks (1985, 1986, 1988) en route to nattys.

But I didn't become a Sooner fan until I fell in love with one, spent a few thousand dollars attending the school, and had a few kids born at the OU hospital there in Norman. Life is funny, ain't it?