Rusk @ Carthage

HearEmaGrowlin

1 hour ago, mikehoncho said:

Is there anyone that watched the Rusk vs. Jasper game?  Just curious as to the details of that game. Jasper won 42-21 or something like that I believe?

Rusk was up 7-0 at the end of 1st. It was 14-14 at halftime. With 3 minutes left in the 3rd it was 21-20 Rusk. Jasper scored to go up 26-21 after 3 quarters. In the 4th Jasper had a strip sack and ran the fumble back for a TD and 2pt conversion to go up 34-21. I believe on Rusk’s next possession it was 4th and forever around their own 30 and the rugby punter tried to run with it and got nowhere. Jasper scored a few plays later plus a 2pt conversion to go up 42-21. Both teams subbed out for the remaining possessions. I know Rusk ran their last two series with the backup QB, RB, and receivers. 
The big O line and RB for Jasper pounded Rusk’s D all game. Jasper threw the ball 3 times and completed 2 but both were 40+ yards and one was a TD. 
It was a better game than the score indicated but Jasper controlled the LOS so well that it never felt like they were in danger of losing. 

54 minutes ago, ronstopable said:

Rusk was up 7-0 at the end of 1st. It was 14-14 at halftime. With 3 minutes left in the 3rd it was 21-20 Rusk. Jasper scored to go up 26-21 after 3 quarters. In the 4th Jasper had a strip sack and ran the fumble back for a TD and 2pt conversion to go up 34-21. I believe on Rusk’s next possession it was 4th and forever around their own 30 and the rugby punter tried to run with it and got nowhere. Jasper scored a few plays later plus a 2pt conversion to go up 42-21. Both teams subbed out for the remaining possessions. I know Rusk ran their last two series with the backup QB, RB, and receivers. 
The big O line and RB for Jasper pounded Rusk’s D all game. Jasper threw the ball 3 times and completed 2 but both were 40+ yards and one was a TD. 
It was a better game than the score indicated but Jasper controlled the LOS so well that it never felt like they were in danger of losing. 

Thanks for the run down! Sounds like a pretty good game for most of the way.  If Jasper controlled LOS that well against Rusk I don't see Rusk putting up much of a fight in this one.  

Things are starting to become pretty clear for playoff matchups. Looks like Carthage will play Gatesville in the 1st round. Then probably Silsbee in the 2nd round. Silsbee just can’t catch a break when it comes to playing Carthage in the playoffs. Have played them 5 times in the playoffs since 2012 and Carthage is 5-0 in those games. 3rd round game looks like either Salado or Bellville. Not too familiar with either. Then looks like in the 4th round Carthage would play WOS or Jasper unless something crazy happens. 

3 hours ago, mikehoncho said:

Is there anyone that watched the Rusk vs. Jasper game?  Just curious as to the details of that game. Jasper won 42-21 or something like that I believe?

With 7 minutes to go it was 26-21 Jasper and Rusk had a huge dropped pass while inside the Jasper 30 that would have made it 27-26 Rusk

The next 7 minutes skewed what was a back and forth game 

10 minutes ago, Eagles26 said:

We haven't been able to block anyone with size this year and it won't get better Friday. 

This will be Rusk’s biggest problem Fri.  Your QB could do some good with time but he won’t have any.  The Carthage front 7 will be the best you guys have seen all year.  Gonna be tough sledding.

1 hour ago, PantherNation2015 said:

This will be Rusk’s biggest problem Fri.  Your QB could do some good with time but he won’t have any.  The Carthage front 7 will be the best you guys have seen all year.  Gonna be tough sledding.

Totally agree! It's been the same thing every game this year. Definitely, won't out athlete Carthage. 

9 hours ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Carthage guy cocky neeeeevvverrrr!

Correct.  For all the success we've had I try to remain humble.  I remember the down years.  When I was in school and we were in the old 4A,  seemed like we always got knocked out by the eventual state champ.  I remember losing to austin westlake at kyle field when I was in junior high.  My senior year we had state champ wilmer hutchins on the ropes and then they caused one turnover while we were about to score (it was a tied game at 0-0 late in the game ) and then they unleashed a flurry of points on us to send us packing.  Those were tough losses.

• Like 3

Yea Rusk should come in 4th unless they can do something against Center. It’s in Center though so it’ll be tough over there.

The Eagles gave Jasper way more than they expected for the first 3 quarters. That strip sack that got returned for the TD late killed all the momentum and Rusk couldn’t get it going again after that. 

As far as this week, I see Carthage pulling their starters just after halftime. Rusk has no offensive line and will not be able to move the ball very well. The QB is good but has to have time to let a play develop and they haven’t done that well in most games. Carthage will take it against my Eagles fairly easy I believe. Just hoping for a clean injury free game. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/18/2020 at 9:51 PM, Crawford said:

No, not hardly. 

Bulldogs will score at will......again

I don’t see the point of risking further injury to players, especially in light of the ones already out due to injury. Running up the score by more than 14 points in a game that Everybody already knows could be obscenely lopsided could be considered poor sportsmanship by some. Just keep it out of reach & be done with it. Save your weapons for the important battles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1