Week 6: Marshall (2-2) (0-1) Vs. Jacksonville (1-3) (1-0)

Mavchamp

Marshall Vs. Jacksonville  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Jacksonville in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Jacksonville in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

Jacksonville coming off of a 59-44 win over Hallsville in an offensive explosion for the Indians.

Marshall coming off a 24-7 loss to Pine Tree in an offensive implosion for the Mavericks.

Marshall's 25 consecutive district win streak was snapped.  Pine Tree beat Marshall for the first time since 2011.  Their first win at Maverick Stadium since 1985.

---------

I'll get all the Marshall Vs. Jacksonville info up tomorrow sometime.  Just wanted to get the thread started.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Jacksonville coming off of a 59-44 win over Hallsville in an offensive explosion for the Indians.

Marshall coming off a 24-7 loss to Pine Tree in an offensive implosion for the Mavericks.

Marshall's 25 consecutive district win streak was snapped.  Pine Tree beat Marshall for the first time since 2011.  Their first win at Maverick Stadium since 1985.

---------

I'll get all the Marshall Vs. Jacksonville info up tomorrow sometime.  Just wanted to get the thread started.  

Thanks, Mav, looking forward to your information 

We need to get back to what we do well. 

For some reason we got away from that Friday night Vs PT.  

I’m not sure if we tried to change offensive schemes and failed... or if we just have to give credit the Pirates... but either way... we need to get back to what we excel at.  

Running sideways and misdirection ain’t it.  

We got swallowed up trying to be cute IMHO.  

Defense has struggled with tackles. But they aren’t what cost is the game. Defense kept us from getting run out of the stadium.  Tackling needs to improve though.  

If we get back to our offensive base... and the defense does their job..... we win comfortably. 

If we continue the cuteness and the Jekell and Hyde routine.....  Jville makes this interesting. 

• Like 1

Marshall needs to do their best in this game and enjoy a win if possible. We have most years had the luxury of have a QB that can also run well if needed. This year is not the case. Brent is a fine QB when given the time to pass the ball but a runner he is not. If he has the time that means the O line is doing their job which should also allow a running game from Dom. The only way Marshall wins this year is if we win in the trenches. I know you never look beyond your next opponent but after Jacksonville Marshall better be ready or the Mavericks will be beaten the way Longview beat them. Marshall has shown the district their weakness and now its up to the coaches to fix it. Motivation is in question! Good Luck Mavericks! 🤘

1 hour ago, Gramps said:

Marshall needs to do their best in this game and enjoy a win if possible. We have most years had the luxury of have a QB that can also run well if needed. This year is not the case. Brent is a fine QB when given the time to pass the ball but a runner he is not. If he has the time that means the O line is doing their job which should also allow a running game from Dom. The only way Marshall wins this year is if we win in the trenches. I know you never look beyond your next opponent but after Jacksonville Marshall better be ready or the Mavericks will be beaten the way Longview beat them. Marshall has shown the district their weakness and now its up to the coaches to fix it. Motivation is in question! Good Luck Mavericks! 🤘

I agree to a point...... obviously having a mobile QB in high school football is a HUGE advantage.  It's an added dimension of misery for a DC.

BUT......

We've won without scrambling quarterbacks before.... 2015....  Justin Hart is one of the best QB's in Marshall history.  He was a pure passer.... and not known for his legs at all....  Mavs went (11-2) that season.

Friday night's offensive squat was a combination of things IMHO......

1.  We got away from our normal offensive game plan.  We didn't do what we've been doing.  They we were running misdirection plays, running sideways, slow-developing plays.  PT sniffed it all out.  They ate our O-line UP while we were being cute IMHO.

Seemed like we were confused from all the changes from what we NORMALLY do.  It's hard to change your offensive scheme for one game.  It was like they didn't know their assignments.  Pirates were in our backfield all night long.  

2.  A fumble into the endzone that was 2 yards from being a Marshall touchdown became a PT touchback.  An interception killed a nice drive that may have cost us 7.  The punt snap that gave PT an easy score.  Easy math shows that we had our chances..... 

3.  Give PT credit.... they outplayed us.  They had energy... they lined up and did what we knew they were going to do.  They rode the back of DJ Freeman.  He's a beast.  They weren't fancy.  They weren't cute.  They did what they do best.  And we had no answer for it.

Congrats to PT.

------

I'm not going to knock Jacksonville... not when they just scored 59 points.  I don't care who they scored them against.  That's a lot.  Clearly their QB is the real deal with 5 TD passes.

Not to mention the Tomato Bowl has been a house of horrors for us traditionally speaking. Last season was our first win there in a decade (granted we haven't played there much).

We need to go down there and take care of business.  Do what we NORMALLY do.... and I think we see a game like we saw in McKinney two weeks ago.  That was Maverick football... Maverick offense.  

Defense needs to wrap up and tackle.  We are making early contact all the time...but we let them out of jail.  Can't keep doing that.  That's fixable...... we take care of that and the D will be fine

Can't wait till Friday.... I'm ready to cleanse my palate from last week.

3 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I agree to a point...... obviously having a mobile QB in high school football is a HUGE advantage.  It's an added dimension of misery for a DC.

BUT......

We've won without scrambling quarterbacks before.... 2015....  Justin Hart is one of the best QB's in Marshall history.  He was a pure passer.... and not known for his legs at all....  Mavs went (11-2) that season.

Friday night's offensive squat was a combination of things IMHO......

1.  We got away from our normal offensive game plan.  We didn't do what we've been doing.  They we were running misdirection plays, running sideways, slow-developing plays.  PT sniffed it all out.  They ate our O-line UP while we were being cute IMHO.

Seemed like we were confused from all the changes from what we NORMALLY do.  It's hard to change your offensive scheme for one game.  It was like they didn't know their assignments.  Pirates were in our backfield all night long.  

2.  A fumble into the endzone that was 2 yards from being a Marshall touchdown became a PT touchback.  An interception killed a nice drive that may have cost us 7.  The punt snap that gave PT an easy score.  Easy math shows that we had our chances..... 

3.  Give PT credit.... they outplayed us.  They had energy... they lined up and did what we knew they were going to do.  They rode the back of DJ Freeman.  He's a beast.  They weren't fancy.  They weren't cute.  They did what they do best.  And we had no answer for it.

Congrats to PT.

------

I'm not going to knock Jacksonville... not when they just scored 59 points.  I don't care who they scored them against.  That's a lot.  Clearly their QB is the real deal with 5 TD passes.

Not to mention the Tomato Bowl has been a house of horrors for us traditionally speaking. Last season was our first win there in a decade (granted we haven't played there much).

We need to go down there and take care of business.  Do what we NORMALLY do.... and I think we see a game like we saw in McKinney two weeks ago.  That was Maverick football... Maverick offense.  

Defense needs to wrap up and tackle.  We are making early contact all the time...but we let them out of jail.  Can't keep doing that.  That's fixable...... we take care of that and the D will be fine

Can't wait till Friday.... I'm ready to cleanse my palate from last week.

Mavchamp don’t get me wrong I saw what you did. Not putting full blame on the players. No idea what was on the coaches minds. Look like a new play book was created in the two off weeks! I know it sounds crazy but just by reading Coach Griedl’s interviews last week in the MNM they had the tone of uncertainty unlike his interviews the week of McKenny North so up beat and positive. The games this year will be won or lost according to the O Line. All to often all five linemen were standing there with their hands on their hips wondering what just happened looking around. Soul searching time for the line on if they are gonna play to win or not. Line coaching motivation may be missing. The difference in a fair team and a championship team is the championship team only know one way to go and that’s 100% all out every play of every game! Anything less and your letting your teammates down. Your a good team with talent so show it every game! GO MAVS 🤘

13 minutes ago, Gramps said:

Mavchamp don’t get me wrong I saw what you did. Not putting full blame on the players. No idea what was on the coaches minds. Look like a new play book was created in the two off weeks! I know it sounds crazy but just by reading Coach Griedl’s interviews last week in the MNM they had the tone of uncertainty unlike his interviews the week of McKenny North so up beat and positive. The games this year will be won or lost according to the O Line. All to often all five linemen were standing there with their hands on their hips wondering what just happened looking around. Soul searching time for the line on if they are gonna play to win or not. Line coaching motivation may be missing. The difference in a fair team and a championship team is the championship team only know one way to go and that’s 100% all out every play of every game! Anything less and your letting your teammates down. Your a good team with talent so show it every game! GO MAVS 🤘

It definitely looked like a completely different offensive scheme. 

I guess we were trying to confuse Pine Tree.  But maybe we outsmarted ourselves. 

Im willing to bet we return to our roots going forward.

I still have faith in this team.  And in this staff.  Neither are perfect.  Learn from your mistakes and move forward. 

I still believe 7 wins is very possible for this team.   8 isn’t impossible if we get our act together. 

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

It definitely looked like a completely different offensive scheme. 

I guess we were trying to confuse Pine Tree.  But maybe we outsmarted ourselves. 

Im willing to bet we return to our roots going forward.

I still have faith in this team.  And in this staff.  Neither are perfect.  Learn from your mistakes and move forward. 

I still believe 7 wins is very possible for this team.   8 isn’t impossible if we get our act together. 

Like I said the week of McKenny North, the best team in this district to likely beat Marshall is Marshall!

9 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

know....

Marshall's largest margin of victory in school history came against Jacksonville in 1926.

Marshall won that game 102-0.  

Man was that before the forward pass? Makes it much more difficult. 

I’d like to get my hand on the article to find out. 

Posting game articles is my next project. 

One day! 

• Like 1

In today’s MNM coach Griedl was talking about fixing the Mavericks and coaches due to poor efforts. Coach you couldn’t be more correct! You were talking about holding players efforts to a higher standard. The key there is you don’t play 100% every play you put the backup in. Behind every starter is a backup player just waiting to get in and show what they can do. You know I’m sure there are several players wanting to move to the next level but they must understand if your not performing at 100% for the entire game then scouts have no idea your any good. They are looking at you and your performance  2 1/2 to 3 hours a week in a game environment. You can be the best in practice but what scout is gonna see that. For those that could care less you are part of a team and your effort will at least help your teammates achieve their dreams. Back in the late 80’s and early 90’s the Mavericks were know for being extremely hard hitting players. You are MAVERICKS SO PLAY LIKE IT!                   🤘GO MAVS 🤘

1 hour ago, Gramps said:

In today’s MNM coach Griedl was talking about fixing the Mavericks and coaches due to poor efforts. Coach you couldn’t be more correct! You were talking about holding players efforts to a higher standard. The key there is you don’t play 100% every play you put the backup in. Behind every starter is a backup player just waiting to get in and show what they can do. You know I’m sure there are several players wanting to move to the next level but they must understand if your not performing at 100% for the entire game then scouts have no idea your any good. They are looking at you and your performance  2 1/2 to 3 hours a week in a game environment. You can be the best in practice but what scout is gonna see that. For those that could care less you are part of a team and your effort will at least help your teammates achieve their dreams. Back in the late 80’s and early 90’s the Mavericks were know for being extremely hard hitting players. You are MAVERICKS SO PLAY LIKE IT!                   🤘GO MAVS 🤘

One of the several things I like about coach G is his willingness to admit mistakes. Not just players’ mistakes... but coaching mistakes too. 

He’s a young guy.  He’s learning too. He deserves that chance. 

TBH.... I expect to see a completely different attitude this week.  I think we see the team we’ve seen most of this season thus far.  Bad games happen.  How we respond shows our character. 

I’m excited to see how we come out and play Friday. 

1 hour ago, Nacwagons said:

Marshall should right the ship this week. In the event they don't I imagine the panic will set in in Maverick land.

Some truth in what you say.  

Haven't felt playoff panic since 2012.  Don’t want to feel that again.