Paris Wilcats playoff dilemma

regaleagle

The Paris Wildcats are a very good team.......ranked #10 in the polls for several weeks despite the fact that they had to forfeit 2 district games......one week to Melissa and the next week to Anna.  And here's where the dilemma starts to take shape.  Paris is (6-3) for the season and (3-2) in district play with only one game remaining against Argyle in the final week of the regular season.......this coming week is their Bye Week.  Their only other loss this season was to Pleasant Grove in Week 3.  With their 35-21 win against Kaufman last Friday night......they assured themselves of at least a chance to make the playoffs......even if they do lose to Argyle in 2 weeks.  BUT........that forfeit to Anna could be the nail in the coffin for the Wildcats season this year........and it appears they will move up in the rankings this week in 4A D-1.  So when's the last time a team ranked in the Top 10 in their division not even made the playoffs???  It  COULD  happen to Paris this season.

7 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

The Paris Wildcats are a very good team.......ranked #10 in the polls for several weeks despite the fact that they had to forfeit 2 district games......one week to Melissa and the next week to Anna.  And here's where the dilemma starts to take shape.  Paris is (6-3) for the season and (3-2) in district play with only one game remaining against Argyle in the final week of the regular season.......this coming week is their Bye Week.  Their only other loss this season was to Pleasant Grove in Week 3.  With their 35-21 win against Kaufman last Friday night......they assured themselves of at least a chance to make the playoffs......even if they do lose to Argyle in 2 weeks.  BUT........that forfeit to Anna could be the nail in the coffin for the Wildcats season this year........and it appears they will move up in the rankings this week in 4A D-1.  So when's the last time a team ranked in the Top 10 in their division not even made the playoffs???  It  COULD  happen to Paris this season.

Let's take a closer look at the whole situation in District 7  4A  D-1 as follows:

Argyle(8-0)(4-0).......has Kaufman this week and Paris in the final week.

Melissa(7-1)(3-1)......has Terrell this week and Kaufman in the final week.

Kaufman(3-5)(3-1)......has Argyle this week and Melissa the final week.

Paris(6-3)(3-2).......has a Bye this week and Argyle in the final week.

Terrell(2-6)(1-3).......has Melissa this week and Anna in the final week.

Anna(2-6)(1-3).......has Ranchview this week and Terrell in the final week.

Ranchview(0-6)(0-5).......has Anna this week and their season ends.

22 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Let's take a closer look at the whole situation in District 7  4A  D-1 as follows:

Wow, calling the Anna game a forfeit makes a big difference.

As you can see, there is a chance that Paris could be left out of the 4th playoff spot if Anna wins that matchup with Terrell in the final week......UNLESS Paris upsets Argyle in Paris in the final week to assure a playoff spot.  If Anna wins out against Ranchview and Terrell, then Anna will get the 4th playoff spot.  Kaufman already defeated Anna in district play.......so if they are tied Kaufman gets the 3rd spot  and Anna the final spot with a win over Terrell.  But Terrell lost to Paris, so if Terrell wins the final game against Anna......then Paris gets the final spot because the tie will go to Paris( assuming Paris loses to Argyle).

In other words.......Anna MUST lose one of its two remaining games for Paris to get in.......at least that's the way I see it.  They should beat Ranchview for sure.....but a win against a pretty good Terrell team will be difficult. Terrell started 7 sophs and one freshman on offense last week against Argyle......and have done so for quite a few weeks.  They are talented and have speed......they have a good soph qb and will be very good next season.  Anna wasn't a pushover either.....they have a couple of really talented skill players also.  It's just that this district is full of very quality teams and a couple of worthy teams(besides Ranchview) will be left out of the equation in this 7-team district.  The top six teams could make the playoffs in some other districts for sure.

The ONLY way for Paris to be ASSURED of the 4th playoff spot is to win their final game against Argyle in Paris.  Otherwise, they will be rooting for Terrell against Anna......unless Ranchview upsets Anna this week.  But I've got a $100 bill here that says it ain't gonna happen.....LOL.

56 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

I see Kaufman losing the next 2 so Paris jumps them both being at 3-3 with Paris already beating Kaufman and losing to Argyle.   I don’t see Anna winning the next 2 to get them to 3-3.   Paris is in!   

1 minute ago, BlackShirtD said:

I see Kaufman losing the next 2 so Paris jumps them both being at 3-3 with Paris already beating Kaufman and losing to Argyle.   I don’t see Anna winning the next 2 to get them to 3-3.   Paris is in!   

Yeah......Kaufman has to play the two powers the next two weeks.......Argyle AND Melissa.......probably two losses, Huh?  But because Paris won against Kaufman already(and Terrell)......then they will jump over Kaufman regardless of the Anna/Terrell outcome.......hey that's right.....Paris is IN!!!  As they should be, for sure.

19 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

:crossfingers:But they ain't IN yet!!  Argyle AND Melissa will have to beat Kaufman for Paris to be IN.  So at  this point they ain't IN and they ain't OUT......they are on the sidelines watching.

So it's really a real dilemma for sure......even moreso than I at first conjectured.  Wow.  Paris is pulling for Argyle this week, and for Melissa next week against Kaufman......and against Anna both weeks too......Ooh Geez!!!  But just one loss for Anna will do it.......and two losses for Kaufman will do it.          :sick:  :munch:  :football:

So at this point.......it looks like Argyle, Melissa, and Kaufman are definitely IN for the playoffs out of District 7-4A D-1.......regardless of what happens the last two weeks.  Now it comes down to either Anna or Paris.......both are still "on the fence" for now.

2 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Paris won’t be your typical 4th seed . I bet the DC from the other district is rooting for Anna.

They could end up with the #3 seed if Kaufman drops both games to Argyle and Melissa......which is highly likely.  It just has not happened yet.....that's all.

1 minute ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Oh ok 👍 yes that is likely. Kaufman sure did drop off fast.

They aren't bad......just barely lost to Lindale.  They just have two juggernauts offensively left.......Argyle and Melissa.  They might win a game or two in the playoffs......depends on the draw.  But La Vega and Stephenville and Midlothian Heritage are all good too.......and Brownwood should make it too.  So Kaufman will have their hands full from here on out for sure.  Paris(lost on Friday), then Argyle, then Melissa, then most probably the winner of the above.

Let me see......Argyle is District 7 so we will be playing District 8 the first round, right?  So Kaufman may get the Kilgore/ Lindale winner in Round 1 if they end up losing to Argyle and Melissa in consecutive weeks.  And the #2 in District 8 will get most likely get Paris in Round #1......I think I have that right......IF Argyle and Melissa both beat Kaufman these last two weeks of district play.

1 minute ago, regaleagle said:

Let me see......Argyle is District 7 so we will be playing District 8 the first round, right?  So Kaufman may get the Kilgore/ Lindale winner in Round 1 if they end up losing to Argyle and Melissa is consecutive weeks.  And the #2 in District 8 will get most likely get Paris in Round #1......I think I have that right.

Kilgore/Lindale are region 3. 

9 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Dropping a class usually brings a more success. That why I said Kaufman seemed to drop off being a contender. 

Kaufman has had a curious year. Kilgore dominated them in the one scrimmage both teams had, yet Kaufman played really well against the other District 9 opponents.