Alto vs Groveton

jacketgrad06

So here we are at the last game of the season. Been a weird one to say the least. Groveton comes in with a chance to make the playoffs with a win and a Leon loss. Alto coming in with its worst year since ‘77.

Both teams were expecting more this season then what it has brought but that will be out the window I am sure. Both of these programs have a history that many programs would love to have. They have met in district, playoffs, and preseason games. Growing up one game that was never missed in Alto was any game with Groveton. Being Alto’s biggest rival and almost always a dog fight. I expect nothing less even though it hasn’t been the year either team expected.

Alto even being winless has been competitive in most of the games as the season progressed and should’ve probably won the Centerville game. They have certainly not given up in games. The Yellowjackets would love nothing more then to end on a win and to stave off only the 4th winless season in Alto’s history. 

Groventon got an upset last week over Leon and saved their chance to make it into the playoffs. They will be hungry to at least do their part to be in the mix to play another game. 

With this all being said who do you got?

I never pick against the jackets and won’t this week. I feel the boys will bring home a win and end the season on a high note and start building for next year with this young group of guys. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trueblue82 said:

This is so #2020. If you’d told me in August that Alto and Groveton would go into week 10 with 3 wins between them, I would have laughed you off of SDC. 

Going with Groveton. Idk why. 

Is Alto in a rebuilding yr?

On 10/26/2020 at 7:06 AM, TDJ89 said:

Is Alto in a rebuilding yr?

💯 One senior played in last week’s game vs. Normangee. We went toe to toe with the #10 ranked and undefeated Panthers who had 11 seniors. Coaches made a QB change two games ago. Went with the sophomore who lead the JV last year to an undefeated season. Good things are happening. Not on the scoreboard obviously at the moment, but we are trusting the process, watching the kids and coaches work hard and figure it all out, and honestly they couldn’t have better attitudes through these hard times. Practices are upbeat and encouraging. You would think we were 8-0 if you showed up and watched them work. Results will come eventually. We’re taking our lumps right now but will, I believe, come out of it stronger on the other side. These sophomores and juniors were district champs in JH and JV. So there is some talent and work ethic there.

With that said, I like our chances against Groveton. I think we match up well with them. We’ll see. I’m proud to be back in a district with them for the first time in awhile. We have great history!

Also Coach Meeks searched and found us a game for next week vs. Ore City. They will come to Alto Thursday night; kickoff is at 7:00. Bonus game to fill Winona cancelling on us. I am thankful the coaches are giving the boys another opportunity to play. It’s the first time we’ve missed playoffs since 2003. They continue to improve each week and our JV boys were the district champs.  I am encouraged. We have been down this season, but we do have hope.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

I knew Alto was down but never expected this. Not often you see traditional winners like this. Hopefully Alto makes some good in this season and beats their arch rival.

None of us expected it! Not in a million years, but we press on. Knew it would be rough losing 18 seniors, but not this rough. Very humbling experience I’ll tell you. I don’t recommend it. Lol

I keep being told there are great lessons in losing. I think I’ve learned enough! 😂 

6ECBB918-9AEF-4486-A5E6-3332DF7FB8B3.jpeg

• Like 3