Week Seven: Longview vs Highland Park

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (5-1) vs Highland Park Scots (3-0)  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Highland Park in a close one
    • Highland Park in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/07/2020 at 02:30 AM

longview.pnghighlandpark.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (5-1) VS HIGHLAND PARK SCOTS (3-0)

DATE]: Friday, November 6th
TIME: 7:30 PM
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: 106.5 FM JACK FM
HIGHLAND PARK BROADCAST: HPScots.net
VIDEO STREAM: Longview ISD Athletics

highlandpark.pngSCOTS LEAD SERIES 4-3-0 highlandpark.png

The Scots have a 3-2 lead when the game is a non-district contest.
The two schools have never played a district contest.
The two schools are 1-1 lead when the game is a playoff contest.
The Lobos have a 1-0 lead when the game is played at a neutral location.
The Lobos have a 2-1 lead when the game is played at Longview.
The Scots have a 3-0 lead when the game is played at Highland Park.
Longview has won the last two meetings against the Scots.
The two schools have never played at (new) Lobo Stadium.
The two schools have never played on November 6th.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES
11.29.1986 - Longview 41, Highland Park 14 - Texas Stadium
10.06.1967 - Longview 37, Highland Park 22 - Lobo Stadium
10.07.1966 - Highland Park 33, Longview 14 - Highlander Stadium
10.05.1962 - Highland Park 25, Longview 0 - Lobo Stadium
10.06.1939 - Longview 6, Highland Park 0 - Lobo Stadium
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW
It's a game that has been circled on both teams' calendars since realignment was announced in February. Though a schedule change pushed the game back later than expected, Longview and Highland Park will meet on the gridiron..finally..for the first time in 34 seasons. But first, the Lobos and Scots remained undefeated in district play this past week as Longview improved to 2-0 in 7-5A D1 play while Highland Park won their district opener. The Lobos, behind a three touchdown day from Kaden Meredith and a two touchdown day from Markevion Haynes, steamrolled Wylie East, 52-17. It was the second consecutive week the Lobos had met a new opponent. Meredith and Haynes continue to have successful seasons running the ball for Longview, who combined have rushed for 1,324 yards on the year and accounted for 24 touchdowns. Highland Park heads east this week fresh off a 21-point win over Sherman in their district opener. After having two of their non-district games cancelled due to COVID-19, the Scots have started 3-0 on the year behind senior quarterback Brayden Schager's impressive start. The 3-star Hawaii commit threw for 255 yards against Sherman, completing 16 of his first 17 passes. The senior quarterback has thrown for 878 yards through the first three games, for five touchdowns with two interceptions. Now the two Texas powerhouses meet in what could potentially be for the district championship. Since falling to Temple in the first contest of the season, have not been challenged, winning all five contests by multiple scores. The Scots remain undefeated, dominating all three of their opponents, with Coppell fighting back from down 20 points multiple times in the contest to make the game look closer. Sherman's 14 points in the 4th quarter when down 41-7 also made their contest look closer than it actually was. Longview and Highland Park don't have a long series over their two illustrious histories. The two schools have met just seven times, the most recent back in 1986 when the Lobos rolled over the Scots, 41-14. Longview rushed for a staggering 496 yards in the Class 5A Regional round meeting held at Texas Stadium. Highland Park fumbled the ball four times in a game the Lobos controlled from the get go. The meeting prior to that came 19 years before, when the Lobos welcomed Highland Park to old Lobo Stadium in a season that saw Longview reach the post season for the first time in 20 years. The Lobos, behind Steve Judy and company, walked away with a 37-22 win over the Scots. The Lobos only other win over Highland Park came in 1939, when the Lobos defeated the Scots 6-0 in Longview. Highland Park has won all three meetings in Dallas, and one more at old Lobo Stadium, including a Class B Bi-district meeting in 1924 at Ownby Stadium 20-0. This will be Highland Park's first ever visit to this version of Lobo Stadium, which was built in 1976. The two schools have had plenty of chances to meet over the years in the post season, four in fact. The last came in 2009, when the Scots fell to Waxahachie in the third round of the post season, 49-35. The Lobos defeated 'Hachie the next week, 50-26. The two squads will meet both on highs in their programs' history. Longview heads into the contest having won 45 of the previous 49 games while Highland Park has won 45 of it's last 48 games, dating back to 2017. On a district level, the Lobos have won 20 consecutive district contests stretching back to a 2017 loss to Mesquite Horn. Highland Park has won 22 consecutive district contests, dating back to a loss at Wylie East in 2016. Longview has won 20 consecutive home games, and hasn't lost a home district game since 2016. While district titles now a days don't mean as much, this contest will likely determine that. Playoff seeding will be huge this season, as the runner up of the district is likely headed right for a second round match up against Lancaster. No doubt, it'll be a great atmosphere on Friday, even with the capacity condensed due to COVID. Two programs with nearly 1,600 wins combined, 8 state championships and 14 state title appearances, for a likely district championship is just the way to spend a Friday night in November in Texas.

WEEK SIX 7-5A DIVISION I RESULTS:
Sherman 21 Highland Park 41
McKinney North 35 West Mesquite 32
Longview 52 Wylie East 17
Tyler - BYE

WEEK SEVEN 7-5A DIVISION I SCHEDULE:
Highland Park at Longview
Wylie East at McKinney North
West Mesquite at John Tyler
Sherman - BYE

DISTRICT 7-5A DIVISION I STANDINGS
1st. Longview (5-1, 2-0)
2nd. McKinney North (2-3, 2-0)
3rd. Highland Park (3-0, 1-0)
4th. Sherman (2-4, 1-1)
5th. Tyler (0-4, 0-1)
6th. Wylie East (1-3, 0-2)
7th. West Mesquite (0-6, 0-2)

ISTRICT 8-5A DIVISION I OVERVIEW
Last Week -  Lufkin defeated New Caney, 13-7 in OT. Magnolia defeated Conroe Caney Creek, 56-0. Magnolia West defeated Waller, 56-26. New Caney Porter defeated Cleveland, 42-0. College Station was off.
This Week - College Station hosts Lufkin. Magnolia hosts Waller. New Caney hosts Cleveland. New Caney Porter hosts Conroe Caney Creek. Magnolia West is off.

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 5-1 (2-0)
District: 7-5A Division I
Coach: John King (183-38 in 17 seasons) (Playoffs: 41-15)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 744-348-52 (Playoffs: 70-42-1)
Playoff Appearances: 45
Last Playoff Appearance: 2019, Class 6A Division II Area Round
State Championships (2): 1937 (1A), 2018 (6A D2)
State Championship Appearances (5): 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1), 2018 (6A D2)
SCHEDULE:
09.25 - v. Temple (in Arlington) - Loss 40-13
10.02 - at Marshall - Win 53-21
10.09 - vs Tyler Legacy - Win 37-14
10.15 - v. Beaumont West Brook (in Lufkin) - Win 51-28
10.23 - vs West Mesquite - Win 49-24
10.30 - at Wylie East - Win 52-17
11.06 - vs Highland Park
11.13 - at Sherman
11.27 - vs McKinney North
12.04 - at Tyler

HIGHLAND PARK SCOTS
Record: 3-0 (0-0)
District: 7-5A Division I
Coach: Randy Allen (253-31 in 22 seasons) (Playoffs: 54-17)
First Year of Football: 1923
All-Time Record: 846-259-27 (Playoffs: 111-53-7)
Playoff Appearances: 60
Last Playoff Appearance: 2019, 5A Division I Regional Round
State Championships (6): 1945 (2A), 1957 (4A), 2005 (5A D1), 2016 (5A D1), 2017 (5A D1), 2018 (5A D1)
State Championship Appearances (9): 1944 (2A), 1945 (2A), 1947 (2A), 1957 (4A), 2005 (5A D1), 2007 (5A D1), 2016 (5A D1), 2017 (5A D1), 2018 (5A D1)
SCHEDULE:
09.25 - vs Austin Westlake - Canceled/COVID
10.02 - vs Mesquite Horn - Canceled/COVID
10.09 - vs Coppell - Win 42-36
10.16 - at Rockwall - Win 46-18
10.30 - vs Sherman - Win 41-21
11.06 - at Longview
11.13 - vs McKinney North
11.20 - at Tyler
11.27 - vs West Mesquite
12.04 - at Wylie East

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: November 6th
In 1925, Longview rolled over Mount Pleasant, 33-0, at Mount Pleasant League Park.
In 1931, Billy Lanagan tallied two scores and Wendel Harper returned a pick six for a touchdown as Longview defeated Kilgore, 19-6, at the Lobo Athletic Field.
In 1953, Lufkin handed Longview a 14-13 loss at Panther Stadium.
In 1959, Ray Chancelor rushed in from 17 yards away in the fourth quarter to guide Longview to a 14-8 win over Texas High in Texarkana.
In 1964, James Street scored from two yards out in the third quarter and repeated his rushing score from 28 yards out in the fourth as Longview defeated Texas High, 12-0, at Lobo Stadium.
In 1970, James Lomax rushed in from two yards out and Jeb Blount kicked a 23 yard field goal in the fourth quarter to lift Longview past Texas High, 12-7, at Grim Park.
In 1981, Longview had a 10-6 lead with 5 minutes remaining in the game at Rose Stadium before John Tyler took over. A fumble by Gahlen Johnson on the JT 11 gave the Lions hope. Willie Walker converted on that hope with an 89 yard pass reception on the next play. William Oliver would add insurance as the Lions defeated Longview, 19-10.
In 1987, Mike Bobo scored three times while Ray Allison tallied twice as Longview rushed fro 356 yards in a 34-12 win over Pine Tree at Pirate Stadium.
In 1992, L’Vendric Fite rushed in one from yard out and Daydrion Taylor returned a pick 6 from 21 yards out both in the fourth quarter as Longview knocked off Marshall, 13-0, at Lobo Stadium.
In 1998, Fred Talley saw his Lobo career end on a record breaking note as Talley rushed for four scores and a school record 387 rushing yards in a 28-0 win at Nacogdoches.
In 2003, Jorvorski Lane and Ashford Ayers tallied the only scores of the night as Lufkin shut out Longview at Lobo Stadium, 14-0. To this date, it’s the last time the Lobos have been shut out.
In 2015, Longview’s Braylynn Anthony rushed for four scores as the Lobos rolled up 582 rushing yards in a 63-20 victory at Hallsville. Longview mustered 682 total yards on the night.

lobohowl2.GIF

Driving back to Spokane today, and flying home to Texas tomorrow, so will be a little late in getting the Region II overview up this week. Also will get that preview up tomorrow evening.

This game, I think, will really give us an idea of what to expect going forward this season. We’ve dominated every single game since that Temple contest. But the level of competition has no doubt been questionable. They’ve improved, but just how much have they improved.

Hp’s scoreline against Sherman is interesting for sure, but they’ve rolled over everyone so far. They’re a legit state contender once again.

Great test and a really important one seeding wise for the post season.

39 minutes ago, Grainraiser said:

I hope your DC don't have your corners playing 15 yards off the receiver in this game. Longview needs to play aggressive man to man and limit the turnovers/penalties. This should be a great game.

Exactly what I said about this matchup a few days ago in the district thread.

10-15 yard cushions need to be scrapped from the gameplan against this team. Because HP has maybe the best OL in 5AD1. If we cant get penetration, they'll kill that cushion with short routes, crosses and pump and gos.

Lot of man to man, and constant pressure should be the nucleus of the defensive gameplan this week. Press coverage, 4 yard cushions tops.

Offensively, we cant get cute. Dont come out throwing 50 straight passes like we did against Jesuit. I'm not saying ditch the passing attack all together, but let Meredith/MH set it up with the run. Probably need to ufilize a lot of multiple TE sets too. As good as HP's OL is, their front 7 is just as deadly. So we'll need all the blocking we can get.

Doesnt look like we'll get Shannon or Tyree at PR so, hopefully Davis can field punts with no muffs.

One clear advantage Longview will have in this matchup, outside of homefield, is conditioning. HP missed out on a ton of conditioning because of covid.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: November 6th

In 1981, Longview had a 10-6 lead with 5 minutes remaining in the game at Rose Stadium before John Tyler took over. A fumble by Gahlen Johnson on the JT 11 gave the Lions hope. Willie Walker converted on that hope with an 89 yard pass reception on the next play. William Oliver would add insurance as the Lions defeated Longview, 19-10.

First and goal from the JT 7 yard line after a drive of running blast and power that JT could not stop. Do they run either of those? No. They call toss which didn't work the other time that night. Defensive end almost got a hand on it the other time, and this time, he crashed down and hit Gaylon as the pitch got to him. Ball goes on the ground and JT gets it. Next play is the Willie Walker td pass of about 90 yards. Lobos go for it on 4th deep in their own territory and dont make it and JT gets a late insurance td.

Only one team goes to the playoffs back then. JT loses 17-14 to Lake Highlands in Bi District and LH wins the State Championship.

It's been 39 years but I still contend that the toss play on first and goal was the WORST play call in Lobo history.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Oldetexfan said:

First and goal from the JT 7 yard line after a drive of running blast and power that JT could not stop. Do they run either of those? No. They call toss which didn't work the other time that night. Defensive end almost got a hand on it the other time, and this time, he crashed down and hit Gaylon as the pitch got to him. Ball goes on the ground and JT gets it. Next play is the Willie Walker td pass of about 90 yards. Lobos go for it on 4th deep in their own territory and dont make it and JT gets a late insurance td.

Only one team goes to the playoffs back then. JT loses 17-14 to Lake Highlands in Bi District and LH wins the State Championship.

It's been 39 years but I still contend that the toss play on first and goal was the WORST play call in Lobo history.

Right up there with not calling a time out against Guyer 2010...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 85lobooldschool said:

HP vs Longview week and still only one page, WOW.   LOL.  GO LOBOS!!!!!

Right? The interaction this season has been beyond low and now sure why. Every game thread this year has been below what we've been use to. Just weird.

I must admit I am very blown away by the amount of information and prefacing LoboFan07 has painstakingly organized in a concise manner for all of the readers of this thread on Smoaky.  I tip my hat to you Sir.......what a magnificent piece of work you have assembled for all to absorb for this upcoming clash between football titans.  I will reread the information to allow it to soak in a little more......since I'm not privy to the legacy of your beloved Lobos.  I am very familiar with at least the last 20 yrs. of the history of Highland Park Scot football since I'm an Argyle fan and from the Metro area for that timeframe and longer.  Your fabulous work is greatly understood and appreciated from this viewer........I'm somewhat aware of what is required to research, disseminate, and organize in a readable, understandable, and logical format all of the information you have detailed for this thread.  I also admire your artistic style.......you must have some journalism background, Huh?  IF you don't........you are FAR better than most that have years in that field.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2