Week Seven: Longview vs Highland Park

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (5-1) vs Highland Park Scots (3-0)  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Highland Park in a close one
    • Highland Park in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/07/2020 at 02:30 AM

9 hours ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

I honestly think the Longview news journal should give the job to @LoboFan07great job thru the years! Would you take it!

I started out in college as a journalism major, and decided to go a different path through some hills and valleys of life. Seeing what they have to go through in our cultural climate now, yea...I'm glad I veered away from it.

Thankfully can still enjoy my writing and researching through the Lobos, as a hobby.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, 85lobooldschool said:

I remember  the HP Longview game in the playoffs like it was yesterday.  Chris Fuller( my brothers good friend) and Darius Jones played lights out on defense.  Great, great game.  Go Lobos beat HP !!!!!!!

Jimmy Smith had a career night in that game as well!  They had no answer for him running outside.

10 hours ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

I honestly think the Longview news journal should give the job to @LoboFan07great job thru the years! Would you take it!

They couldn't afford him. ;) 

Real talk though: Lobo fans better be thankful for Hayden. There aren't many 5A/6A schools who get the level of coverage he provides. Y'all better start a GoFundMe for that dude, because there's no way he's paid what he's worth. 

• Like 2

He sure did, close to 200 yards I think.  Eric Fagget #1 had a great game running too from his WB position.  I remember when Snoddy went down eariler in the season, I was like oh no.  Then here comes Smith, all 170 lbs of him, with the linebacker facemask and wow could he run.  It changed the whole dynamic of that team. 

7 minutes ago, 85lobooldschool said:

He sure did, close to 200 yards I think.  Eric Fagget #1 had a great game running too from his WB position.  I remember when Snoddy went down eariler in the season, I was like oh no.  Then here comes Smith, all 170 lbs of him, with the linebacker facemask and wow could he run.  It changed the whole dynamic of that team. 

Smith had 180, and Eric had 163. Each had 2 TDs that night as well.

I know Lobo fans still talk about the game after that HP contest against Plano. I've heard a lot of stories about that one over the years haha.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LOL said:

They couldn't afford him. ;) 

Real talk though: Lobo fans better be thankful for Hayden. There aren't many 5A/6A schools who get the level of coverage he provides. Y'all better start a GoFundMe for that dude, because there's no way he's paid what he's worth. 

Hayden is a beast. Cool as a fan too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

Smith had 180, and Eric had 163. Each had 2 TDs that night as well.

I know Lobo fans still talk about the game after that HP contest against Plano. I've heard a lot of stories about that one over the years haha.

Ahhh. the Plano game!   We lost 17-12 I think but the game came down to 2 calls that went against us. I sill say that David Henderson intercepted the ball in the end zone. Their guy reached in and grabbed it and the officials ruled dual possession, giving Plano a touchdown. But the worst call (actually a no call) was right before halftime when Plano threw a touchdown pass. Their left tackle literally tackled Eugene Williams, our defensive end, by the face mask as he was nearing the QB. It was in open space, no other players near them, so it wasn't like it couldn't be seen. The official was looking right at it, but didn't throw the flag. I know there is video somewhere of that play. Both plays were shown over and over on TV by Dallas and Tyler stations. Of course, Plano went on win the state championship. Another one that should have been ours!

• Like 2

Someone help me remember. As I was reading through the information about this weeks game on the opening page, I saw in the "On This Date in History" the 1964 Lobo win over Texas High. I'm pretty sure I was at that game (9 years old). If I remember correctly Texas High came to Lobo Stadium ranked #1 in the State and James Street led a 12-0 upset with a big brawl at mid field after the game. Am I remembering this correctly?

40 minutes ago, hoopscoach17 said:

Someone help me remember. As I was reading through the information about this weeks game on the opening page, I saw in the "On This Date in History" the 1964 Lobo win over Texas High. I'm pretty sure I was at that game (9 years old). If I remember correctly Texas High came to Lobo Stadium ranked #1 in the State and James Street led a 12-0 upset with a big brawl at mid field after the game. Am I remembering this correctly?

Tigers were #8 when they came into Lobo Stadium, but everything else you have correct :)

2 hours ago, hoopscoach17 said:

Yes that is correct.  I was in the 4th grade then and was at the game. It was the wildest thing I had ever seen at the time!

One of the Lobo players actually hit legendary coach Watty Myers. I am pretty sure I know who the player was, but let me verify before I post his name.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Is this basically for the District championship or does anyone else have a legitimate opportunity?

I’d be shocked if this wasn’t. There’d have to be a massive upset.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, 85lobooldschool said:

I remember  the HP Longview game in the playoffs like it was yesterday.  Chris Fuller( my brothers good friend) and Darius Jones played lights out on defense.  Great, great game.  Go Lobos beat HP !!!!!!!

I have the game program from the 1966 HP/LV game hanging in my office.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, WolverBean said:

Yep this for district champs unless Rona hits us  or hp again,not sure how our district handle games due to covid 

King said in the paper before district started that the district has decided to count them as non contests.

No idea what happens then if it comes down to a tie.

On 10/31/2020 at 5:39 PM, Oldetexfan said:

First and goal from the JT 7 yard line after a drive of running blast and power that JT could not stop. Do they run either of those? No. They call toss which didn't work the other time that night. Defensive end almost got a hand on it the other time, and this time, he crashed down and hit Gaylon as the pitch got to him. Ball goes on the ground and JT gets it. Next play is the Willie Walker td pass of about 90 yards. Lobos go for it on 4th deep in their own territory and dont make it and JT gets a late insurance td.

Only one team goes to the playoffs back then. JT loses 17-14 to Lake Highlands in Bi District and LH wins the State Championship.

It's been 39 years but I still contend that the toss play on first and goal was the WORST play call in Lobo history.

I was told last night that the actual play call was "Unbalanced Right Flip Right" instead of toss. For any of you that played under Doug Cox, I would bet that you recognize that play.

7 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

King said in the paper before district started that the district has decided to count them as non contests.

No idea what happens then if it comes down to a tie.

No contest means it goes to winning percentage. If the same then coin flip for seeding. 

12 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Feel free to take a pic of that one! Would love to see it!

I tried to attach it and it wouldn't let me...I have even tried to change the file size.  I'll figure out a way.  I have 6 in my office. 

1943 vs Henderson

1950 vs Denison

1956 vs Lufkin

1959 vs Dallas Sunset

1961 vs Texarkana

I also have a 2018 team picture with player and coaches signatures on the surrounding mat.  It is massive.

• Thanks 1

Reminder for Lobo fans that want to watch all the games vs Highland Park the next two days.

Freshmen B & A: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKb5qKeNLNo&feature=youtu.be

Junior Varsity: https://www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/highland-park-high-school-dallas-tx/gam52a574601d

Varsity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak-CmNVX9b0&feature=youtu.be

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Reminder for Lobo fans that want to watch all the games vs Highland Park the next two days.

Freshmen B & A: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKb5qKeNLNo&feature=youtu.be

Junior Varsity: https://www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/highland-park-high-school-dallas-tx/gam52a574601d

Varsity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak-CmNVX9b0&feature=youtu.be

Thanks!