Texas High (5-0) (2-0) Vs Marshall (3-2) (1-1)

Mavchamp

Week 11  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• Texas High in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Texas High in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, mav01 said:

This is not 2018. Marshall only has one speed guy at wr this year. The others are tall possession type wrs. Good for red zone but not high percentage deep threats. Marshall's offensive struggles lately have been by the Qbs lack of confidence when defenses take away Dede. #5 Brooks needs to be utilized more when this happens. The multiple high snaps have killed several drives as well. 

The running game must be clicking to take pressure off of the Qb. Dede needs at least 12 touches a game (including rb reps). I think he's suspended first half this week so won't happen. All goes back to how physical the o-line plays. 

maybe not but this game has upset all over it. Marshall has something to prove, believe they have felt that way since Texas high came back in to this district. Rightfully so, they’ve been the champs 3 years in a row. after getting beat to pine tree I think that adds more to it. Thigh has played better in the second half of their games. Hopefully they can start early. I doubt you’ll see many mistakes from the mavs they’ll be up for this one. If thigh wins convincingly I think we could all say they might be a threat in the region. 

2 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

IMHO the QB’s confidence issues stem from the lack of execution from his O-line. 

Hard to throw with confidence when your running for you’re life. 

The games where the Oline does their job... he’s look outstanding. He can thread some needles. 

But when they are lazy/confused/what ever you want to call it.... the offense has sputtered. 

All comes down to which line shows up.  It’s been a Jekyll and Hyde show this far. 

When they are hustling.... we can play with anyone. 

When they aren’t.... anyone can ply with us. 

The unsung strength of the Tigers is their line play. The O line has good size. They pass block really well and can get a good push on the run plays. The D line is very solid. Clayton Smith #10 DE gives the line instant credibility. Derrick Brown #41 plays opposite of Smith and provides the same energy as Smith. DTs may be a bit undersized, but are efficient in holding their ground to allow the LBs to make the tackles. To me the key is whether the Maverick OL can hold up to the pressure of the DEs and if the Mav QB can make plays under duress. Should be a good game.

Marshall should get up for this game! Here is their chance to prove so many wrong. Few are even giving them a small chance. A huge part of this game is falling on the coaches heads! A good game plan and the ability to make adjustments as needed not just waiting till half a game has gone by them adjusting and hopping it works! The remainder of a good game plan is on the players execution from A to Z. Full concentration every snap of the ball carrying out their assignments to the letter! Marshall has got to believe in their selves!

GO MAVS 🤘 

I hope this game shows everyone how good Texas High really is, Marshall's track record gives them credibility and if Texas High is what most people think they are (I think they are the District Champ favorite) then i think this game could get ugly for Marshall, maybe not quick but if Marshall's Offensive line had trouble with PT's defensive line then things could go south in a hurry. 

I honestly don't see the Mavericks having a solution for the Tigers D-Line so I'll go with T-High by 14. 

54 minutes ago, TrenchWarrior09 said:

Marshall's track record gives them credibility

Most of the criticism of the Marshall resurgence has been they could not finish when it matter come post season time. No doubt, they were a beast in the district.

If the Mavs had not just lost to Pine Tree less than two weeks ago, I think this might hold some weight but they did. Most of East Texas, I feel, knows how good the Tigers are this year no matter the final score against Marshall.

4 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Most of the criticism of the Marshall resurgence has been they could not finish when it matter come post season time. No doubt, they were a beast in the district.

If the Mavs had not just lost to Pine Tree less than two weeks ago, I think this might hold some weight but they did. Most of East Texas, I feel, knows how good the Tigers are this year no matter the final score against Marshall.

I am using the term "track record" referring to their district play, looking at the last 3 years i don't believe they have lost a district game, no surprise they don't go deep in the playoffs (not because their talent but because the level of opponents goes up tremendously due to a weak district in my opinion). Because I believe people think they are still in the District Champion or Runner Up Conversation i think this is a good game for Texas High to assert themselves at the top, at least to the doubters.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TrenchWarrior09 said:

I am using the term "track record" referring to their district play, looking at the last 3 years i don't believe they have lost a district game, no surprise they don't go deep in the playoffs (not because their talent but because the level of opponents goes up tremendously due to a weak district in my opinion). Because I believe people think they are still in the District Champion or Runner Up Conversation i think this is a good game for Texas High to assert themselves at the top, at least to the doubters.

I do think this district is stronger than years past. 1-5 with MP prob being 5th. MP turned the ball over 3 times and lost to a Greenville team 35-14. Greenville will prob finish 2nd in their district. Nac got beat by Rudder 48-21 but that game was close for 3 quarters. Rudder has a chance to finish 4th in their district and only lost to Huntsville 36-14. Thigh beat Denison   24-3 and they are sitting in 2nd in that district.  
early to think about some of those matchups but def think Marshall thigh pine tree are 3 teams that have a chance to all win a first round matchup. Huntsville and Consolidated have earned respect in the region but I don’t think they are anywhere near the teams they have been in the past. 

• Like 1

this is no doubt pine trees best team in a while and you could say the same for Texas. Marshall has the athletes and will matchup with anyone. If they hit their stride at the right time they could be dangerous. Whitehouse...who knows they actually won their first round matchup with that district last year. 

I'm just waiting to see how this game goes.  Haven't seen Marshall or PT so all I can go on is what I'm reading.   We are definitely better than we have been but I have to admit the 1st half vs Hallsville was a little concerning.  Defense showed up big in 2nd half but Hallsville moved the ball very easily in the 1st.  Sounds like Marshall is struggling a little on offense so I hope we come out early.   
Should be a good game

9 hours ago, RonLigma said:

I do think this district is stronger than years past. 1-5 with MP prob being 5th. MP turned the ball over 3 times and lost to a Greenville team 35-14. Greenville will prob finish 2nd in their district. Nac got beat by Rudder 48-21 but that game was close for 3 quarters. Rudder has a chance to finish 4th in their district and only lost to Huntsville 36-14. Thigh beat Denison   24-3 and they are sitting in 2nd in that district.  
early to think about some of those matchups but def think Marshall thigh pine tree are 3 teams that have a chance to all win a first round matchup. Huntsville and Consolidated have earned respect in the region but I don’t think they are anywhere near the teams they have been in the past. 

Greenville is terrible again in my opinion. I think Texas High or Pine Tree wins district.

• Like 1

Maybe a TxH fan can confirm or deny......

I heard DE/LB Smith broke his leg last Friday and that he’s out for Texarkana.  

Tigers otherwise healthy?

Mavs lost their QB2 to a hand fracture that occurred in last Friday’s blowout win over Jax.  He had surgery.  He’s done for the season.  

Otherwise.....we’re healthy from what I hear. 

Watched all livestream games of T-High.  Watched the last two games of Marshall with Jax & Pine Tree.  We don't see Marshall's current defense stopping the speed of T-High's Def Ends (10 & 41 both Div 1 athletes).  The T-High DE tend to come at the offense from the outside with a very fast bull rush.   Unless you offense tackles & end can move with the speed to stop this defense you QB will be having to move out of the pocket.  From the Marshall last two games QB is not necessary a option type passer.  

If Marshall wants to stay with passing game keep the route short and fast to help your QB.  Run straight ahead at T-High IF T-High has a weakness it would be middle of def line at least to LB level this means 3-4 yards at a time and slows the game down to keep T-High offence on bench.  The T-High Def Backs tend to play off of the Wide outs several yards most of the time.

T-High offense is very balance almost to the point of 50/50 pass & run. Most of the running is between the tackles straight ahead.  Very big and mobile Offense line.

T-High QB is very accurate passer with a full stable of receivers.  T-High becomes very dangerous on offense when they put receiver #5 & #10 in at wide outs of different sides of the ball.  We don't see any def back in the district staying with and out jumping either of these two receivers.  

4 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Maybe a TxH fan can confirm or deny......

I heard DE/LB Smith broke his leg last Friday and that he’s out for Texarkana.  

Tigers otherwise healthy?

Mavs lost their QB2 to a hand fracture that occurred in last Friday’s blowout win over Jax.  He had surgery.  He’s done for the season.  

Otherwise.....we’re healthy from what I hear. 

lost one RB # 20

I wasn't able to get the gameday tab on my webpage posted this week.... it's been a crazy one with work.

So I'll post some of it here.

----------

Texas High is Marshall's second oldest rival, just behind Longview.

The Mavs and Tigers first met in 1910, just one season after the first official meeting between Marshall and Longview.  

Texarkana and Marshall have played 98 times, just 12 times less than Longview/Marshall (11 after this game).

Texas High leads the series (51-39-8).  

Longest Texas High win streak: 7 in a row from 1914 to 1919.

Longest Marshall win streak: 6 in a row twice; from 1924-1929 and 1941-1946.

Biggest margin of victory for Texas High: 45-0 in 2013.

Biggest margin of victory for Marshall: 59-0 in 1943.

--------

Marshall QB Brent Burris enters the game having gone 61-114 for 1,075.  He has 10 touchdowns and 3 interceptions.

RB Dominique Williams has 528 yards and 6 touchdowns on 68 carries.  He also has 8 catches for 205 yards and another score.

WR Demarcus Williams has 406 yards receiving with 5 touchdowns on 24 receptions.

WR Hayden Kelehan has 238 yards on 8 catches and a score.

WR A'Darrarian Brooks has 107 yards with a pair touchdowns on 12 catches.

Headed into this week:

Varsity Mavs are (3-2, 1-1)- Losses to Longview and Pine Tree

JV Mavs are (2-2, 2-0) -losses to Longview and McKinney North

Freshman A team is (3-1, 2-0)- only loss is to Longview

Freshman B team has not played in a while.