GILMER Vs P.G District Championship!!!!!!

MIZETX

Week 11  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• Pleasant Grove Hawks
    • Gilmer Buckeyes

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/07/2020 at 01:30 AM

I have been on that PG bandwagon for a while now, but I think Gilmer gets the W at home. PG just really struggles to throw the ball. They moved one of their top RBs (1) to CB to add speed to that secondary. They really lack a playmaker on the outside this year. With their DL beat up I feel like they will have to bring some pressure, and this will open up that field a little more for the quick slants and screens. Gilmer will have the speed advantage, and PG lacks the depth. If Gilmer can keep drives alive and not cough up the ball, they win by 10ish. 

3 hours ago, Unbiased1 said:

I have been on that PG bandwagon for a while now, but I think Gilmer gets the W at home. PG just really struggles to throw the ball. They moved one of their top RBs (1) to CB to add speed to that secondary. They really lack a playmaker on the outside this year. With their DL beat up I feel like they will have to bring some pressure, and this will open up that field a little more for the quick slants and screens. Gilmer will have the speed advantage, and PG lacks the depth. If Gilmer can keep drives alive and not cough up the ball, they win by 10ish. 

Martin can run with any Gilmer player and Logan Johnson probably can to. They can both get outside, or run over you. With that said I think Gilmer can throw the ball on any 4A team in the state. The thing is Gilmer won't get many opportunities on offense unless PG has turnovers.

• Like 1

I think it will be a close one that can go either way.

Gilmer has a much better passing game, but not much of a running game. PG is the complete opposite. Good running game with no passing game. PG is not as good this year as they were the last 3 (even before their D1s were hurt). But I think they are still better in the trenches than Gilmer this year, so I think PG wins it. 

• Like 1

Looking at this intriguing game very objectively. From a talent stand point in the "Trenches" both sides of the ball Texarkana Pleasant Grove has a distinct advantage, Even in losing Landon Jackson the Pleasant Grove Defense front 7 still boasts  6'7 285  6'0 300  6'4 270  6'2 265 Lineman. All are very athletic College Caliber and one has a power 5 Offer. At Linebacker Texarkana Pleasant Groves Nick Martin (OK State Commit) is a head hunter and I am sure will have his sights locked on Gilmer's QB Tennison all night. The Gilmer O Line is vulnerable and both the Gilmer O and D Line are undersized when compared to what Pleasant Grove presents. All that said the game is at Gilmer which brings that perspective in to play...but with Covid restrictions Home Field/Crowd Advantages are at best neutral. While Gilmer does have an edge at the Skill position I am certain Texarkana Pleasant Grove will disguise coverage and make it difficult with pressure. Its going to come down to mistakes. I watched film of Pleasant Groves game with Liberty Eylau as well as Gilmer's. While I am aware LE was missing a few players with injury for the most part it was the same defensive front that tortured Gilmer's O line. I didn't see that much problem presented to PG running the ball even with the very Athletic / fast Liberty Eylau team stacking the box. PG hit a long TD pass as well. I would suspect Pleasant Grove will be superbly prepared for any gimmick defense Gilmer tries to employ. Its important to note that Schemes are only as good as the players you have to run them. While Carthage limited PG in the second half with a stack look on D Gilmer is no where near as athletic nor disciplined to pull this look off in my humble opinion. PG has three very talented running backs which includes Logan Johnson, Nick Martin and Freshman Jaylen Boardley who just returned from a 6 week injury. All 3 are capable of doing big damage between the tackles as well as out of the back field passing. On the Gilmer side of the ball, at WR obviously Dylan Fluellen and Mason Hurt are the favorite targets of QB Tennison. The Gilmer running game will need to have some success to offset the PG Pressure and penetration and I am not convinced they will be able to do so. All in all, while I think Texarkana Pleasant Grove isn't quite what they were the past two season they are still very very talented and very well coached. In the end I will take Texarkana Pleasant Grove 42  Gilmer 24

• Like 2
  • LOL! 1

13 hours ago, Texlov said:

Martin can run with any Gilmer player and Logan Johnson probably can to. They can both get outside, or run over you. With that said I think Gilmer can throw the ball on any 4A team in the state. The thing is Gilmer won't get many opportunities on offense unless PG has turnovers.

Totally agree those two can run, but its 2 guys. With the way Gilmer throws the ball, I do not believe either will get a breather on the defensive side of the ball Friday. I worry this will give them very limited carries, and even if they do get the ball on offense, they will be gassed late in the game with the Gilmer O flinging it all over the field. PG is going to need those long 6 minute drives if they going to have a chance. Even then, I believe it will be tall task IF Gilmer takes care of the football.

51 minutes ago, Unbiased1 said:

Totally agree those two can run, but its 2 guys. With the way Gilmer throws the ball, I do not believe either will get a breather on the defensive side of the ball Friday. I worry this will give them very limited carries, and even if they do get the ball on offense, they will be gassed late in the game with the Gilmer O flinging it all over the field. PG is going to need those long 6 minute drives if they going to have a chance. Even then, I believe it will be tall task IF Gilmer takes care of the football.

This thought would seem to run contrary to Gilmer's tendencies. Gilmer is a quick strike Offense. If that's the case the PG defense wont be on the field long during those drives.  I just don't see Gilmer controlling the line of scrimmage on either side of the ball. That is where games are won and lost. 

• Like 1

Just now, TexasFootballGuru said:

I think it has more to do with the Physicality / Makeup of your Offensive Line vs Pleasant Groves defensive front. Id be shocked if you run the ball effectively

You keep bringing up y’all Dline we run the ball in different ways with the jet sweeps,QB reads, running the Rb stretches so we will have about 7 different ball carriers

39 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

You keep bringing up y’all Dline we run the ball in different ways with the jet sweeps,QB reads, running the Rb stretches so we will have about 7 different ball carriers

First of all there is there is no ya'll here. I am a retired AP Sports writer from Rockwall. I've made the trip to See Texarkana Pleasant Grove play at Paris and I also watched Gilmer and Lindale. Everything else has been on film. Observing the two teams PG moves more than very well laterally and they fit gaps equally well. Liberty Eylau couldn't stretch the field and honestly Where Teams like Argyle and Carthage had success was running between the tackles setting up Play Action. I don't see Gilmer being able to do that. Its going to be difficult for Gilmer to get the edge because of PGs athleticism and size to disrupt things pushing Gilmer O lineman into the backfield. Just an observation.

9 minutes ago, TexasFootballGuru said:

First of all there is there is no ya'll here. I am a retired AP Sports writer from Rockwall. I've made the trip to See Texarkana Pleasant Grove play at Paris and I also watched Gilmer and Lindale. Everything else has been on film. Observing the two teams PG moves more than very well laterally and they fit gaps equally well. Liberty Eylau couldn't stretch the field and honestly Where Teams like Argyle and Carthage had success was running between the tackles setting up Play Action. I don't see Gilmer being able to do that. Its going to be difficult for Gilmer to get the edge because of PGs athleticism and size to disrupt things pushing Gilmer O lineman into the backfield. Just an observation.

You do realize the game u seen us play against lindale we had 300 plus yards rushing lol. Also PG don’t have the same defensive line they had against Paris and they were up against a team that runs the same offense as them so ur analysis is way off but that’s probably why ur retired just my observation lol.

• LOL! 1

42 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

You do realize the game u seen us play against lindale we had 300 plus yards rushing lol. Also PG don’t have the same defensive line they had against Paris and they were up against a team that runs the same offense as them so ur analysis is way off but that’s probably why ur retired just my observation lol.

To be honest there wasn't much defense played in your game vrs Lindale . As for the Pleasant Grove team I know that Jackson is a loss for them but they still have very Big Athletic fast Players up front that can get in the back field and cause rushed Throws, Sacks and disruption. They still have an advantage there The key will be ball security and not rushing throws by Gilmers Qb.

5 hours ago, TexasFootballGuru said:

This thought would seem to run contrary to Gilmer's tendencies. Gilmer is a quick strike Offense. If that's the case the PG defense wont be on the field long during those drives.  I just don't see Gilmer controlling the line of scrimmage on either side of the ball. That is where games are won and lost. 

I do not understand why you keep referring to PGs depleted DL? They will not have Jackson or Burris. 74 is very good, but now you can afford to double team him. They have the Phillips kid (50), and while he shows flashes of greatness, he is very raw. Nothing against the backups but they are not near what you make them out to be. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Unbiased1 said:

I do not understand why you keep referring to PGs depleted DL? They will not have Jackson or Burris. 74 is very good, but now you can afford to double team him. They have the Phillips kid (50), and while he shows flashes of greatness, he is very raw. Nothing against the backups but they are not near what you make them out to be. 

I've studied both teams thoroughly. You say Texarkana Pleasant Grove has a depleted D Line and I would heavily disagree. Pleasant Grove definitely has more than just Burris and Jackson. The Phillips "Kid" who you speak of  has Power 5 Offers he may be raw (I don't think so much) but he's 6'7 280 and will be a huge issue regardless. I don't think double teaming Weekly (74) will be a good idea. Turner to his right is also very athletic and big at 6'2 250 as well as 6'4 265Lb  Victor Shaw who looks like he moved to defense over the past two weeks and is a D1 type of player in his own right. He's  strong and very athletic as well. When you put all that in to perspective you then have (6) Nick Martin at OLB who is a Power 5 Athlete (Ok State) he will be a big problem as well. The PG line backing Corp from what I have seen is also fast and Physical. Just observations

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, TexasFootballGuru said:

I've studied both teams thoroughly. You say Texarkana Pleasant Grove has a depleted D Line and I would heavily disagree. Pleasant Grove definitely has more than just Burris and Jackson. The Phillips "Kid" who you speak of  has Power 5 Offers he may be raw (I don't think so much) but he's 6'7 280 and will be a huge issue regardless. I don't think double teaming Weekly (74) will be a good idea. Turner to his right is also very athletic and big at 6'2 250 as well as 6'4 265Lb  Victor Shaw who looks like he moved to defense over the past two weeks and is a D1 type of player in his own right. He's  strong and very athletic as well. When you put all that in to perspective you then have (6) Nick Martin at OLB who is a Power 5 Athlete (Ok State) he will be a big problem as well. The PG line backing Corp from what I have seen is also fast and Physical. Just observations

If they have two starters out, that is the definition of depleted.  Now their backups may be better than most starters for other teams.  But they aren't as good as the starters or they would have been the starters...

56 minutes ago, TexasFootballGuru said:

For u to be from rockwall and not know much about either team u sure have a lot of details about kids backups lol