Argyle(9-0/5-0) @ Paris(6-3/3-2) Friday 11/6

regaleagle

Well it took a little bit of grease tonight for the Argyle defense to get back to form, but I'm glad Paris made it a game for Argyle in the first half.  In the 2nd half the Argyle D just flat out dominated. I don't know how many TFLs and sacks they had, but at least a couple every  series.  

Hats off to the Paris Wildcats tonight........their guys played hard and played tough, esp. on defense.  They did a great job against Argyle's O-line and in pass coverages.  Argyle's D played equally well......so it ended up  being a defensive standoff in the 2nd half.  Argyle scored one TD on a pass to Kirkpatrick where he was double-covered like a blanket in the endzone, but somehow still brought it in on a jumpball catch for the TD.  Other than that.......and lots of flags........pretty decent showing for Paris.  I think they will be tough in the playoffs.......keeping Argyle under 30 pts ain't easy.  Good luck in the playoffs Paris.......unless you play Argyle again.

Looks like with Anna's loss to Terrell tonight Paris will have the #3 seed since Melissa whacked up on Kaufman.  I think it goes head to head with a tie between two teams in the standings.......and Paris defeated Kaufman.  Anna ends up being that "other team" that will not make the playoffs this season in District 7, along with Terrell and Ranchview.   Terrell had a very young team this season and should be much improved next year.  The only problem is so will Argyle, Melissa, and Paris.  Argyle's soph class is just loaded with players and talent.......many playing a starting role for the Eagles this  season and many coming in and out all thru the games  the whole season.  

So all in all even with the 2 games Paris had to forfeit.......it looks like the Seedings turned out about the way everybody thought they might at the first of the season before the forfeits happened.  Maybe that game between Paris and Melissa that never got played would have changed the Seeds, but who can really say for certain.  Just glad to see Paris in the thick of things because they deserve to be.

All things considered, especially in this era of COVID, the Paris coaching staff has done an admirable job fashioning a team that's highly competitive and fun to watch.  Those two forfeits (to Melissa and Anna) basically caused a 10-day midseason shutdown in the program and put Paris in extreme danger of not making the playoffs.  And, understand, that was coming right after the high point of a solid upset win over Midlothian Heritage on the road.  Overcoming that physical and mental strain speaks volumes for coaches and players alike.

As for the game last night, the physical mismatch along the line of scrimmage was dramatic.  In the immortal words of an old coach of mine, "Little'uns don't beat big'uns unless the little-uns have bigger hearts and souls."  The Cats needed to play near-perfect to keep it close against Argyle, and those two key turnovers (a muffed punt in the first half and a scoop & score in the second half) were too much to overcome.  But both teams can be encouraged that they got a stiff pre-playoff test.

I believe Paris gets Dallas Lincoln in the first round, then it looks like a rematch vs. Heritage in round 2, and that potential delayed meeting with Melissa in round 3.  It's not an insurmountable path to the regional finals and potential rematch with Argyle.  And, remember, COVID is waiting to upset this year's playoff bracket.  At least it's an opponent Paris has already faced and beaten.

11 minutes ago, Parisian said:

All things considered, especially in this era of COVID, the Paris coaching staff has done an admirable job fashioning a team that's highly competitive and fun to watch.  Those two forfeits (to Melissa and Anna) basically caused a 10-day midseason shutdown in the program and put Paris in extreme danger of not making the playoffs.  And, understand, that was coming right after the high point of a solid upset win over Midlothian Heritage on the road.  Overcoming that physical and mental strain speaks volumes for coaches and players alike.

As for the game last night, the physical mismatch along the line of scrimmage was dramatic.  In the immortal words of an old coach of mine, "Little'uns don't beat big'uns unless the little-uns have bigger hearts and souls."  The Cats needed to play near-perfect to keep it close against Argyle, and those two key turnovers (a muffed punt in the first half and a scoop & score in the second half) were too much to overcome.  But both teams can be encouraged that they got a stiff pre-playoff test.

I believe Paris gets Dallas Lincoln in the first round, then it looks like a rematch vs. Heritage in round 2, and that potential delayed meeting with Melissa in round 3.  It's not an insurmountable path to the regional finals and potential rematch with Argyle.  And, remember, COVID is waiting to upset this year's playoff bracket.  At least it's an opponent Paris has already faced and beaten.

Paris definitely has good athletes at all the “skill” positions. The Paris OL was victimized by a very strong Argyle front 7.

At the same time, the Paris offensive scheme so badly under utilizes the natural talent the players possess.

33 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Paris definitely has good athletes at all the “skill” positions. The Paris OL was victimized by a very strong Argyle front 7.

At the same time, the Paris offensive scheme so badly under utilizes the natural talent the players possess.

I said the same thing about the Paris offensive scheme last season, but they do a good job with Hohenberger operating behind center to make it work.  I guess it would disrupt the applecart too much to change it when the team remains so competitive.  Bringing in a whole new offense at the beginning of this season might have caused some problems to the players.......and they do have so many talented RB's and with speed to boot......I can see why they just stick w/ what they are doing for now.  

Just now, regaleagle said:

I said the same thing about the Paris offensive scheme last season, but they do a good job with Hohenberger operating behind center to make it work.  I guess it would disrupt the applecart too much to change it when the team remains so competitive.  Bringing in a whole new offense at the beginning of this season might have caused some problems to the players.......and they do have so many talented RB's and with speed to boot......I can see why they just stick w/ what they are doing for now.  

I think they would be far more dynamic on offense out of at least a spread look every now and then.......maybe they will show some new looks in the playoffs if they go deep.  Their guys are fairly experienced and may be able to handle that now that the season is matured.  Why not try it and see what happens???

This Region 2 is gonna be a dogfight every week.  I was watching the Melissa Livestream against Kaufman last night late.......they have really improved on defense now.  They shored up that loose front and always had a good secondary.......they are looking mighty good to me.  Their offense is nonstop action with all of those talented backs and receivers they have and two good throwing Qb's. 

Then you have La Vega with their QB Rauls back playing again......he looked in great form in the clips.  Suddenly #20 Jordan Rogers  is one more weapon on offense to go to because he's not behind center as the QB anymore.  And Rauls is really good back there.......throwing it and spreading the ball around to those speed merchants.  Rauls can run it on keepers too........so they will be very very tough to beat now that they have their full complement of offense back.  Just look at how many points they have put up in the last two games since Rauls came back.  

And then there is Midlothian Heritage.......they have over 2000 rushing yards thru 9 games and only about 1200 passing.  Most people think they are a passing team first......but the stats say differently.  Look out for these guys.......they have all the ingredients to play for the regional title.   Then the 4th place Stephenville team this  season is really much better than a 4 Seed.  Somebody is gonna get them in Round 2......just watch. I think it might be Kennedale in Round 1......so that game will be one to watch for sure.  Argyle, Melissa, and Paris will all easily make it to Round 2 and then the real games start.......the dogfights.

If you ask me.......Argyle is no longer the favorite.  There ain't no favorite in Region 2.  In fact......the winner of Region 2 might be the new favorite to win it all......whoever that ends up being.  For my money, I'd say Melissa has just as good a chance as Argyle and La Vega to end up winning it all.  I just don't think those Region 4 teams will be able to handle whoever comes out of Region 2 as the winner.  Region 1 winner and Region 3 winner will have their hands full in the semis whoever they get.

Region 1 has Dumas, Springtown and Canyon as the frontrunners.  Dumas might be the overall best with their strong D.......but maybe Canyon will get there.  I don't think Springtown has enough this season......I've seen their Livestreams.  Regardless.......ain't none of them can hold a candle to what's coming out of Region 2 for sure.

2 hours ago, Parisian said:

Paris will go deep in the playoffs.

I picked Lampasas to win state in 4A-D1 this year and stand by it.

Argyle is good mainly because of their OL and DL. The only skill position guy that worries you in the big TE. The RB’s and WR’s not so much. 

La Vega is a shell of the team they were in 2018 and last year. 

Lampasas has the biggest game changer in 4A-D1 at QB. 

9 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I picked Lampasas to win state in 4A-D1 this year and stand by it.

Argyle is good mainly because of their OL and DL. The only skill position guy that worries you in the big TE. The RB’s and WR’s not so much. 

La Vega is a shell of the team they were in 2018 and last year. 

Lampasas has the biggest game changer in 4A-D1 at QB. 

I think you are discounting CJ Rogers too much........he can hurl it and be very accurate in tight quarters to receivers that know how to catch in traffic and fight for the ball.  Byce, Baker, and Scoggins are plenty of run power behind that big O-line.  Lampasas will have a difficult time in their own region, muchless getting to the semi.  One player cannot make up for all of those receivers they graduated. I noticed they are running  the ball more this year than passing it.  A spy on Hotshot should damper his effects.  I think Argyle has a very good defense to contend with any tough offense......whether it be Melissa's high flying nonstop quick strike threats or La Vegas big lines and speed merchants w/ Rauls under center spreading it around.  Paris has a very good D, but I'd be surprised if their offense can keep up with what they will see in top competition.  Argyle kind of coasted and protected last night by design.......I'm glad they did and held the reins back for the playoffs.  I'm more concerned with Calallen's running attack and defense than Lampasas if it comes down to Argyle vs one of those teams.  I think Argyle can match up better to Lampasas than that Calallen run attack and good D.

IF Argyle gets to the Region 2 final......and they should......that game will be the best game of the season regardless of who it is against.  I know most folks wanna see Argyle vs Lampasas and may still get to see that game, but I still say whoever Argyle plays in the Regional Final will be the toughest game of the season for Argyle at that late juncture.......IF it happens.  Argyle has 4600 yds of total offense this season with a balanced attack between passing and running WITH the starters on sidelines w/ tons of limited minutes for the season. The offensive numbers could be 1500 yds higher IF Argyle played 4 full quarters the whole season w/the starters. But that would be counter-productive and foolish.  Argyle's D is one of the best in 4A except for Carthage......especially at this late date in the season.  And the depth cannot be overlooked.......Argyle is very deep at every position except kicker.  Argyle has  Jett Copeland(little brother to the other Copeland) as backup QB if need be......right now he is a bigtime player in the secondary but was held out last night because he is nursing a minor injury.  He's a junior this season and will be QB for Argyle next year.  Quite simply.......Argyle is loaded and so is Melissa.  La Vega is La Vega.......very good, speed and size, but I don't think they can play disciplined enough to get everything they need out of their team.  Melissa can and so can Argyle.......both are juggernauts on offense and both have lots of athletes.  The team that scores the most points wins.  Argyle's 2013 team had the best defense, but this 2020 team has a much better offense and more diversified.......and a pretty dang good defense too. The lines will carry the day for Argyle in a rock-em sock-em game.