Argyle(9-0/5-0) @ Paris(6-3/3-2) Friday 11/6

regaleagle

57 minutes ago, Argyle2014 said:

To me, it’s seemed Argyle played very conservative last night. Almost as if it was planned. But I was definitely impressed with how the defense played in the second half.

They did......by design for good reasons.  One was to keep the point differential close for Paris just in case, and the other was to limit possible injuries to key players.  The other probable reason was to get the lead by a couple of TDs, play hard-nosed defense without the benefit of a big lead, and let the clock tick to shorten the game.  All of these reasons had a cause and effect.......good gameplan for that situation IMHO.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Argyle2014 said:

To me, it’s seemed Argyle played very conservative last night. Almost as if it was planned. But I was definitely impressed with how the defense played in the second half.

2 hours ago, regaleagle said:

IF Argyle gets to the Region 2 final......and they should......that game will be the best game of the season regardless of who it is against.  I know most folks wanna see Argyle vs Lampasas and may still get to see that game, but I still say whoever Argyle plays in the Regional Final will be the toughest game of the season for Argyle at that late juncture.......IF it happens.  Argyle has 4600 yds of total offense this season with a balanced attack between passing and running WITH the starters on sidelines w/ tons of limited minutes for the season. The offensive numbers could be 1500 yds higher IF Argyle played 4 full quarters the whole season w/the starters. But that would be counter-productive and foolish.  Argyle's D is one of the best in 4A except for Carthage......especially at this late date in the season.  And the depth cannot be overlooked.......Argyle is very deep at every position except kicker.  Argyle has  Jett Copeland(little brother to the other Copeland) as backup QB if need be......right now he is a bigtime player in the secondary but was held out last night because he is nursing a minor injury.  He's a junior this season and will be QB for Argyle next year.  Quite simply.......Argyle is loaded and so is Melissa.  La Vega is La Vega.......very good, speed and size, but I don't think they can play disciplined enough to get everything they need out of their team.  Melissa can and so can Argyle.......both are juggernauts on offense and both have lots of athletes.  The team that scores the most points wins.  Argyle's 2013 team had the best defense, but this 2020 team has a much better offense and more diversified.......and a pretty dang good defense too. The lines will carry the day for Argyle in a rock-em sock-em game.

I still say Argyle versus Lampasas for the title. 
No one has tested Argyle really and Lampasas has been pushed in the last two games. 
In my opinion there is only one team that could beat Argyle and they won’t play. 
After I watched Argyle play twice, the only way they loose is if injuries hit them or they beat themselves. 
I to picked Lampasas at the start of the year, but Argyle has the defense this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, regaleagle said:

IF Argyle gets to the Region 2 final......and they should......that game will be the best game of the season regardless of who it is against.  I know most folks wanna see Argyle vs Lampasas and may still get to see that game, but I still say whoever Argyle plays in the Regional Final will be the toughest game of the season for Argyle at that late juncture.......IF it happens.  Argyle has 4600 yds of total offense this season with a balanced attack between passing and running WITH the starters on sidelines w/ tons of limited minutes for the season. The offensive numbers could be 1500 yds higher IF Argyle played 4 full quarters the whole season w/the starters. But that would be counter-productive and foolish.  Argyle's D is one of the best in 4A except for Carthage......especially at this late date in the season.  And the depth cannot be overlooked.......Argyle is very deep at every position except kicker.  Argyle has  Jett Copeland(little brother to the other Copeland) as backup QB if need be......right now he is a bigtime player in the secondary but was held out last night because he is nursing a minor injury.  He's a junior this season and will be QB for Argyle next year.  Quite simply.......Argyle is loaded and so is Melissa.  La Vega is La Vega.......very good, speed and size, but I don't think they can play disciplined enough to get everything they need out of their team.  Melissa can and so can Argyle.......both are juggernauts on offense and both have lots of athletes.  The team that scores the most points wins.  Argyle's 2013 team had the best defense, but this 2020 team has a much better offense and more diversified.......and a pretty dang good defense too. The lines will carry the day for Argyle in a rock-em sock-em game.

Jett Copeland is not the little brother of former Argyle QB Copeland.  Jett Copeland is a move-in from Southlake whose big brother was a stud LB for the Dragons that graduated in 2016 or 2017.  You are right about that 2013 Argyle defense.  I ran across some footage of them the other day on Hudl.  That team would simply punish their opponent on both sides of the ball.  Very tough team.  Glad to see this 2020 defense get a new scheme and improve as it could/should have for a few seasons now.

2 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

I still say Argyle versus Lampasas for the title. 
No one has tested Argyle really and Lampasas has been pushed in the last two games. 
In my opinion there is only one team that could beat Argyle and they won’t play. 
After I watched Argyle play twice, the only way they loose is if injuries hit them or they beat themselves. 
I to picked Lampasas at the start of the year, but Argyle has the defense this year.

Injury bug won't make a difference for this team this season.......depth is absolutely off the charts.

2 minutes ago, tartar said:

Jett Copeland is not the little brother of former Argyle QB Copeland.  Jett Copeland is a move-in from Southlake whose big brother was a stud LB for the Dragons that graduated in 2016 or 2017.  You are right about that 2013 Argyle defense.  I ran across some footage of them the other day on Hudl.  That team would simply punish their opponent on both sides of the ball.  Very tough team.  Glad to see this 2020 defense get a new scheme and improve as it could/should have for a few seasons now.

I'm pretty sure someone told me he was Copeland's little brother.  In that case, I hope Argyle keeps attracting some of that Southlake talent to come on over, hahaha.  The water is fine in Argyle, Lol.

• LOL! 1

Yeah.....Lampasas has been pushed the past two games for sure, but maybe they needed that little push before the playoffs.  Maybe they will win Region 4........I looked at their numbers and the numbers are very good.  They look close to Argyle's, except more on the run side and less on the pass side......but fairly balanced.  I just hope Argyle doesn't run into a buzz saw against Melissa or La Vega or BOTH in the playoffs. Any one of these teams can win the region on any given night.......just depends on how the ball bounces, so to speak.  Even Midlothian Heritage has to be included in the picture.  Not so sure about Paris......they seem to have a restriction of their offensive capabilities.......but they can sure restrict their opponents' offenses for sure.  Let's just say there are possibly 3 teams in District 7, and 2 teams in District 5 that are definitely in the hunt for the regional crown.  Not sure about Kennedale this season in District 6.......forget about District 8 with the Dallas teams.

The way the brackets are set up.......Melissa, Paris, and Midlothian Heritage will be in the top part of the bracket while Argyle  and La Vega are in the bottom part of the bracket.  That means Argyle will not be playing La Vega  this season for the regional crown, but in Round 3 if it happens.  

After a Round 1 game against N. Dallas being played in Argyle, then the Eagles will play the winner of Benbrook vs Stephenville.......most likely Stephenville.  La Vega gets Fort Worth Western Hills in Round 1 and then the winner of Wilmer-Hutchins vs Kaufman......probably Hutch in Round 2.  Looks like a meeting is set up for Argyle vs La Vega in Round 3.

1 minute ago, regaleagle said:

After a Round 1 game against N. Dallas being played in Argyle, then the Eagles will play the winner of Benbrook vs Stephenville.......most likely Stephenville.  La Vega gets Fort Worth Western Hills in Round 1 and then the winner of Wilmer-Hutchinson vs Kaufman......probably Hutch in Round 2.  Looks like a meeting is set up for Argyle vs La Vega in Round 3.

Argyle wins the more important second game this time round. 

3 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Argyle wins the more important second game this time round. 

That's gonna be a whammer-jammer.  Since Rauls is back at QB for LV, they have been smoking the competition and looking unbeatable again.  Not just because Rauls is that good, but because now LV has Jordan Rogers as another weapon and it's late season for the team.  Rauls is the best player behind center no doubt, and yet another weapon to add to the Pirates attack on offense and a major asset in the secondary if they elect to play him there as well against Argyle.  The speed is always a big concern.......Argyle's D can't catch up to these guys if they get past the first level.  It's like trying to stop Rose of Fairfield in the open field.......same kind of situation.  But this season Argyle is no longer playing that 10-1 defense......which IMHO is a major change in holding down the scores.

It's really too early for conjecture, but IF Kennedale plays Melissa in Round 2.......that game COULD be a whammer jammer, too!  IMO the weak part of the Melissa D is against an excellent running team with multiple threats like Kennedale runs. Just not sure how good Kennedale's D is this year......because anyone playing Melissa will have to score lots of points to win. Even if Kennedale can score on lots of possessions,  not sure they can hold down Melissa's juggernaut offensive attack on defense.

Paris is just the opposite.......they will win games BECAUSE of their defense and speed all over the field with quality athletes on both sides of the ball, and have a very good QB on offense to deal the ball to a very talented group of  RB's.  Their passing game becomes effective for the low number of attempts because of their running game attack, and Hohenberger can be effective throwing it.  He's also got some good moves and speed on keepers. Paris might give Heritage plenty in a Round 2 game also.......they already defeated Heritage earlier this season.

It all comes down to the lines for Argyle this season......even though the new defensive alignment is a big plus too.  Argyle has always been able to put up some points if their defense will give them the opportunities they need.  Whether the Regional Final is Argyle vs Melissa or La Vega vs Melissa......that game will be the biggest in 4A that week.  I think most viewers would love to see an Argyle vs Melissa rematch.......two offensive juggernauts with QB's slinging it for quick strikes that can score from deep in their own end of the field.  And both teams can overcome deficits when behind.  The team that puts up the most points wins.......ALWAYS!!!

Argyle had a hell of a pre district schedule. LeVega, Pleasant Grove, Decatur ( who was ranked in top 10 at the time) Celina ( who was ranked in top 10 as well.) Then started district off against top ranked Melissa, and ended district against ranked Paris. By far one of the toughest schedules in 4a. Now if you look at the playoff bracket, Argyle is projected to face Stephenville, LaVega, and or Paris, Melissa, and the overlooked MH Jaguars. 

If Argyle pulls off a state championship after the road they will have to take, they will have damn sure earned it. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Argyle2014 said:

Argyle had a hell of a pre district schedule. LeVega, Pleasant Grove, Decatur ( who was ranked in top 10 at the time) Celina ( who was ranked in top 10 as well.) Then started district off against top ranked Melissa, and ended district against ranked Paris. By far one of the toughest schedules in 4a. Now if you look at the playoff bracket, Argyle is projected to face Stephenville, LaVega, and or Paris, Melissa, and the overlooked MH Jaguars. 

If Argyle pulls off a state championship after the road they will have to take, they will have damn sure earned it. 

No doubt 

I'ma thinking Stephenville will be a tough opponent for Argyle in Round 2 if they get by Benbrook this week.  You just cannot gauge that team by their record.  They took Melissa to the limit and was ahead late before Melissa worked some magic on offense to get the win in a back and forth offensive slugfest 65-58 in Week 3.  They started the season losing big to Lampasas, then in Week 2 lost to a very good Salado team 61-45.  They also lost to La Vega 42-24 in district play. Then they lost to Midlothian Heritage in the last district game of the season 42-27........a Heritage team that defeated La Vega in district play and has come on strong since that loss in Week 4 to Paris.  So really.......Stephenville has played a very tough schedule and dropped games in all of their losses this season to ranked teams. I would classify Stephenville as dangerous and highly capable with the players they have.   Stephenville did defeat a ranked Dumas team the week after the loss to Melissa......46-33.  So they can score on very good teams, for sure.......and score alot.

When you analyze the schedule and season Midlothian Heritage has had......they are looking pretty strong.  Except for that 34-14 loss to a very good defensive Paris team in Week 4 and a loss to Springtown in OT in Week 5.......they look like they are positioned for a deep run.  I don't know if they had an injury or two to some key starters or not in those games, but evidently they have put together some strong wins since then and are playing at a very high level now.  I'm not quite sure how Argyle would match up to Heritage if both teams met in the Regional Final......which could happen.

The bad part of writing all of this stuff about a team like Argyle is the risk factor, LOL.  I've done this same thing on several other occasions........most recently last year, the year before that and seems like almost every year for a team with Argyle's pedigree.  That's the problem when you are a hard-core supporter of a perennial contender........it's easy to be disappointed because Argyle seems to always have some very tough teams to face each season in their region to win the region.  And I think most people will agree that winning the region is a very difficult thing to do for every team.  So I'd like to think that THIS season all of my analysis and hopes for Argyle to get to the SC title game will be realized. I've been on board for the whole ride every season since inception.......so I've tasted the sweetness of championships and the bitterness of close games and disappointing defeats each season Argyle has played football.  Twelve district championships in a row just isn't spicy enough for me.......or for the team either.

In case some of you are wondering......Argyle has made the playoffs in all 17 seasons previously......and this 18th season, too.  In that span, Argyle's playoff record stands at 47-15 all-time......with 6 regional championships, 5 state championship appearances, and 1 state championship.  There were 2 more state championship games that Argyle should have won......every one of them has been decided by a TD or less.  I was searching the coaching records on Dave Campbell Football under "records" for Texas high school coaches.  NO OTHER Head Coach has ever won 200 games in only 18 seasons......according to their listings. And out of all of those listings of coaches that did win 200+ games in their career so far(some are still active), NONE of them had fewer losses than Coach Todd Rodgers at Argyle.  The record so far is 204-37 and counting.......just to let you know.  They don't have Coach Rodgers name and record listed in there yet, but they should.  He just eclipsed that 200th win mark earlier this season.