Proof Positive That 2020 is The Most Bizarre Year in History!!!

blesseddaily

The Livingston Lions have won their 8th game in a row tonight, winning their district in the process!!!! You just can't grasp how totally opposite of normal that is unless you know the history of Livingston football!!! Huge congrats to the Coaches and players that stuck with the program in what is quite possibly the most anti-football community in east Texas!!! There are a lot of underdogs making the playoffs this year but this has to be the biggest stunner of the century!!! 

10 hours ago, blesseddaily said:

The Livingston Lions have won their 8th game in a row tonight, winning their district in the process!!!! You just can't grasp how totally opposite of normal that is unless you know the history of Livingston football!!! Huge congrats to the Coaches and players that stuck with the program in what is quite possibly the most anti-football community in east Texas!!! There are a lot of underdogs making the playoffs this year but this has to be the biggest stunner of the century!!! 

you got that right ,,,, Vanover coming out of retirement didn't seem to be much of a threat to the status quo in town - what they want for you, as head coach, to always go no better than 5-5; if you exceed that, well, look for a little pushback - not really interested in too much emphasis on football - board has always been scared that the community might get behind an expectation of having a winning program - generations of board members have convinced the parents and kids in town that a winning football program in Livingston is not possible and therefore their kids should concentrate on other sports  ... but ol' Finis has surprised them by patiently building a program ... it helped that the district was not too strong this year (and saying that is not meant to take away from the job that he and his staff has done), but it is a major accomplishment at a site often called a graveyard/retirement or stop over for head football coaches (especially if you happen to win) ... we'll see this week if my statement is true about the strength of the district - a bunch of folks deep in the heart of East Texas are saying that Livingston's district may go 0-4 in the first round. Riordan and his staff at CH have also done an amazing job of bringing back stability to a recently faltering program ... Kudos to both these coaches staffs ... hate it, but somebody's going to be putting up their equipment soon ... but whoever it is, they have a lot to be proud of.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, blesseddaily said:

Man had no idea Livingston was anti football like that; makes it that much better they are balling! 

P.S. Please tell me they’re not still playing in that 1947 junior high stadium?

4 hours ago, UnclePigg said:

Man had no idea Livingston was anti football like that; makes it that much better they are balling! 

Yep!! Still playing in the same stadium!!! Parking for about 200!! When they were in the district with the Beaumont teams PNG tried to get the UIL to make Livingston play at a neutral site because the stadium would only hold about half of the fans that followed the team!! It really is a joke. They have built two new high schools since I graduated in '72 and in both bond elections a new stadium was supposed to be included but it never happened. 

DOB, you are exactly correct and it has been that way since the 60's when they were actually pretty good. Had several athletes play for big time programs and made some playoff runs. 

9 hours ago, UnclePigg said:

The stadium is a little older than that ... my Mother graduated from there during the war and she remembers marching in the band there about the time she started HS ... always had a red dog cinder track ... one of the last I would imagine ...

2 hours ago, DOB said:

The stadium is a little older than that ... my Mother graduated from there during the war and she remembers marching in the band there about the time she started HS ... always had a red dog cinder track ... one of the last I would imagine ...

Come on Livingston lets get with the times. You’ve got a great coach that’s turned it around, the kids have bought in, and most importantly you’re winning. Put some dang money into your football program!