Cobra Kai

Stoney

18 hours ago, Stoney said:

Was Barney Stinson right? Was Johnny Lawrence the good guy all along? That first episode sure does blur the lines.

I'm only halfway through season one (SO NO SPOILERS!) but it's pretty obvious this series is more interested in unpacking some nuance rather than just having a cardboard "good guy vs bad guy" cliché. It seems more focused on complicated, well-developed characters. 

And can I say that William Zabka is a helluva actor. I mean, for real. Dude is absolutely crushing this role as Johnny. I don't follow award shows, but it seems like his performance is worthy of recognition. It's easily as good (if not better) as anything I see from big budget studio movies. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LOL said:

I'm only halfway through season one (SO NO SPOILERS!) but it's pretty obvious this series is more interested in unpacking some nuance rather than just having a cardboard "good guy vs bad guy" cliché. It seems more focused on complicated, well-developed characters. 

And can I say that William Zabka is a helluva actor. I mean, for real. Dude is absolutely crushing this role as Johnny. I don't follow award shows, but it seems like his performance is worthy of recognition. It's easily as good (if not better) as anything I see from big budget studio movies. 

I’m on episode 5 of the first season. The 80s black and white good/bad is gone. There’s a ton of gray now. I’m loving how Johnny is still stuck or hanging onto his glory days and not made made the leap into the social justice 2020s. 

• Like 1

Love this show and Johnny is by far my favorite character.  I'm worried about it's future though now that it's on netflix. They'll probably have him and Daniel falling in love with each other and getting married before it's all said and done cause that's just how they roll.

• LOL! 4

• 4 months later...
On 3/23/2021 at 12:17 PM, MavGrad99 said:

Haven’t watched either of them yet... trying to finish a few other series before I start a new one.  Need to finish s3 of Cobra Kai

I’m starting S2 of Cobra Kai. Kreese is up to something. Just haven’t figured out what yet.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I finally finished this series, and I'm actually looking forward to season 4. I believe it's going to be the last season. 

Without spoiling it for anyone else, let me just say that these guys understand how to satisfy your core fanbase while also reaching out to a new audience. 

There is a complexity to the plot development that is rare for most Hollywood productions these days, not to mention a simple action series like Karate Kid/Cobra Kai. The action is compelling without pushing the bounds of believability. It challenges various perspectives without coming across as didactic or preachy. In the end, the characters develop in different ways without anyone being wholly an angel or a demon. 

Hollywood could learn A LOT from Cobra Kai about the craft of storytelling and character development. 

• Like 1

On 4/27/2021 at 1:02 PM, LOL said:

So I finally finished this series, and I'm actually looking forward to season 4. I believe it's going to be the last season. 

Without spoiling it for anyone else, let me just say that these guys understand how to satisfy your core fanbase while also reaching out to a new audience. 

There is a complexity to the plot development that is rare for most Hollywood productions these days, not to mention a simple action series like Karate Kid/Cobra Kai. The action is compelling without pushing the bounds of believability. It challenges various perspectives without coming across as didactic or preachy. In the end, the characters develop in different ways without anyone being wholly an angel or a demon. 

Hollywood could learn A LOT from Cobra Kai about the craft of storytelling and character development. 

To follow-up, this pretty much sums it up for me:

WARNING! He uses some coarse language (he's a Scottish drunk), so don't watch this at work or around kids if that sort of thing is not appropriate. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
19 hours ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

Ok.....watched season 1 yesterday......love this show ......gonna finish all 5 in a couple of days......

Isn't Zabka solid?! I mean, like for real, dude's got legit acting chops. He pretty much carries the first season. Really well done on his part. 

Ralph Macchio does improve over the next couple seasons, but IMHO he starts off kinda wooden and simplistic in season 1. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Isn't Zabka solid?! I mean, like for real, dude's got legit acting chops. He pretty much carries the first season. Really well done on his part. 

Ralph Macchio does improve over the next couple seasons, but IMHO he starts off kinda wooden and simplistic in season 1. 

Has @KirtFalcon level computer skills ......lol....but yeah.....the acting was really good and Zabka nailed that role .......can't wait for season 6......final season......

• LOL! 1

9 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Lol, Zabka was the bully in almost every teen movie in the 80's.  He's had plenty of practice.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveTV1 said:

Lol, Zabka was the bully in almost every teen movie in the 80's.  He's had plenty of practice.  

Hahaha, you're not wrong, but that's the thing: Zabka isn't just a one-dimensional bully in the Cobra Kai series. He shows a lot of complexity and nuance, and develops in an interesting way as a character. It makes the series more engaging.