Jump to content
The Smoakhouse Forums

Should working from home be taxed?


Recommended Posts

How's this for an article? They're talking about above and beyond any taxes that may already be taken from your check. The example that they give in the article is someone making $55K, would pay 5% more (or, as they put it, $10 per day).

Read for yourself, and you decide...

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/should-working-from-home-be-taxed-11605027448

I think I'll put this here, too...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DAWG91 said:

"If it moves,  tax it.  If it keeps moving,  regulate it.  If it stops moving,  subsidize it."- Ronald Reagan

That's why I included the video for "Taxman" in there. I think the oddest line in that song is "Now my advice for those who die, declare the pennies on your eyes."

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2020 at 1:42 PM, Monte1076 said:

How's this for an article? They're talking about above and beyond any taxes that may already be taken from your check. The example that they give in the article is someone making $55K, would pay 5% more (or, as they put it, $10 per day).

Read for yourself, and you decide...

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/should-working-from-home-be-taxed-11605027448

I think I'll put this here, too...

 

It seems to me that if you work from home, that you should also be able to write off your mortgage payments as office rent.  I would have to check into that.  I know you can write off the mileage that if you use your car for business.  It seems to me that you should also be able to do the same with your home.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2020 at 2:12 PM, Monte1076 said:

That's why I included the video for "Taxman" in there. I think the oddest line in that song is "Now my advice for those who die, declare the pennies on your eyes."

Why do you consider that odd ?  That used to be a tradition that came from the Greeks to pay Charon to ferry them across the river Styx to hades.  Another tradition in the United States is to leave coins on graves.  I've actually left a wheat penny on Clyde Barrows grave of the year he was killed just for nostalgia sake, plus I saw that others had left coins on his grave.  I did go back and visited his gravesite because I was in the area, and someone had stolen that penny.  I thought that was fitting.  https://abc7chicago.com/memorial-day-coins-on-tombstone-tombstones-fallen-soldiers/2048071/

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

Why do you consider that odd ?  That used to be a tradition that came from the Greeks to pay Charon to ferry them across the river Styx to hades.  Another tradition in the United States is to leave coins on graves.  I've actually left a wheat penny on Clyde Barrows grave of the year he was killed just for nostalgia sake, plus I saw that others had left coins on his grave.  I did go back and visited his gravesite because I was in the area, and someone had stolen that penny.  I thought that was fitting.  https://abc7chicago.com/memorial-day-coins-on-tombstone-tombstones-fallen-soldiers/2048071/

It's not the leaving the pennies. It's the warning to declare them.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

It seems to me that if you work from home, that you should also be able to write off your mortgage payments as office rent.  I would have to check into that.  I know you can write off the mileage that if you use your car for business.  It seems to me that you should also be able to do the same with your home.  

There are certain things you can write off or deduct, but I think they have to be exclusively used for your work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, DoubleTeam said:

You can’t deduct your whole house. But you can count a % of your house as office space and use it

Speaking of office space, I want my stapler back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

It seems to me that if you work from home, that you should also be able to write off your mortgage payments as office rent.  I would have to check into that.  I know you can write off the mileage that if you use your car for business.  It seems to me that you should also be able to do the same with your home.  

If you do that as office rent then they'll come after you with osha rules for your house probably.... and who knows what other agency will be checking in your house!

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, DAWG91 said:

Classic!  So many great lines.

Samir: "There's nothing wrong with that name, Michael."

Michael (Bolton): "There was nothing wrong with it, until I was about 12 years old and that no talent ***clown started winning Grammys."

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Monte1076 said:

Samir: "There's nothing wrong with that name, Michael."

Michael (Bolton): "There was nothing wrong with it, until I was about 12 years old and that no talent ***clown started winning Grammys."

PC load letter!  ### does that mean?!?!?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

It's a jump to conclusions mat.

Don't forget that friday is hawaiian shirt day,  and uhhhm yeah we're gonna need you to come in on saturday too....it isn't a half day or anything like that....

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DAWG91 said:

Don't forget that friday is hawaiian shirt day,  and uhhhm yeah we're gonna need you to come in on saturday too....it isn't a half day or anything like that....

Bill, let me ask you a real quick question here: How much time would you say you spend each week dealing with these TPS reports?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Monte1076 said:

Bill, let me ask you a real quick question here: How much time would you say you spend each week dealing with these TPS reports?

I didn't get the memo

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

LOL...now you're gonna get eight of them.

You know what I'd do with a million dollars?  2 chicks at the same time, man.  That's something I think I could hook up, cause chicks dig a dude with money.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

It seems to me that if you work from home, that you should also be able to write off your mortgage payments as office rent.  I would have to check into that.  I know you can write off the mileage that if you use your car for business.  It seems to me that you should also be able to do the same with your home.  

On last year's taxes, you could write off part of your home if you ran an "at-home" business. And then it is only the part of the house that you actually use for your home. My wife has a side art business--it's in its 3rd year--so we have written off part of the house for 3 years now. And plan to keep doing it. I feel so bad for her--she loses so much money a year on this business, for tax purposes, only--but she loves doing it--so I just do the taxes. LOL. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2020 at 6:58 PM, Monte1076 said:

It's not the leaving the pennies. It's the warning to declare them.

You must not have had to pay an estate tax or as some call it a death tax yet.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2020 at 6:58 PM, Monte1076 said:

There are certain things you can write off or deduct, but I think they have to be exclusively used for your work.

Not your vehicle.  When I was with Domino's Pizza I used to keep track of my mileage for my car when I would use it for delivering pizza or going to meetings or other things that I had to do while I was both a manager and supervisor.  Most years most of the mileage on my vehicle more than totaled what my standard deduction was.  At that time it was 27 cents a mile.  I used my vehicle for personal use as well, but I only kept track of it while using it for business.  From what I read today this idea was proposed by the Deustche Bank.  I know many of the Progressive Socialist Fascist slimes of the Dim Party love European Socialism, but we shouldn't be listening to a German bank.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2020 at 7:13 AM, knothead58 said:

If you do that as office rent then they'll come after you with osha rules for your house probably.... and who knows what other agency will be checking in your house!

I've never seen OSHA at any business that I have ever worked for other than Vertex Communications Corp. in Kilgore, TX.  Oddly enough, they weren't there to inspect anything I saw, but an official was there to hold a safety meeting.  I think they only inspect places if there are enough complaints for them to do so.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...