Pine Tree (3-0, 5-0-1) vs. Texas High (3-0, 6-0)

RandyJohnson

This is probably THE top matchup in East Texas this week and no topic for discussion as of yet ?

Not going to post any kind of "pick'em poll" here as just about everyone would pick the Tigers.

Simply wanted to start a post to get some "talk" about this 9-5A D-II game going !?!

I'll get it started with the matchup of PT's Offense against Texas High's Defense. The Pirates average 40 points & 410 ypg. Meanwhile, the Tigers have the top ranked defense in the District.

RJ

• RandyJohnson changed the title to Pine Tree (3-0, 5-0-1) vs. Texas High (3-0, 6-0)

Interesting match up...  I would not have said that 3 weeks ago, but I still cant get over PT allowing 7 points to both Marshall and Nac. 

This game is going to be close if the PT defense that played in weeks 1 & 2 of district shows up, but i think Tigers win by 14. If the PT Defense that showed up against Jacksonville shows up then its gonna be a long night for the Pirates because unlike the other teams the Pirates have faced the Tigers defense does have an identity and PT doesn't want those edge rushers chasing Freeman all night. 

11 minutes ago, randomuser said:

I can’t even remember seeing a 0 in the loss column for Pine Tree this late in the year. Good to see that for them. And how did they get a tie?

The last time PT was undefeated this far along in a season was 1990. 

PT started that season 5-0 then finished 6-4. I believe you'd have to go back to 1976 or 1977 to find when the Pirates were undefeated through 6 games. 

It has been quite awhile for sure

RJ

17 minutes ago, randomuser said:

I can’t even remember seeing a 0 in the loss column for Pine Tree this late in the year. Good to see that for them. And how did they get a tie?

As TrenchWarrior09 mentioned, the Pirates traveled to 4A Kennedale (also undefeated) and their Stadium lights malfunctioned in & before halftime with the game tied at 10-10.

So there you have it.

RJ

I think in the last 10+ years most of us Texas High fans have learned to let your record do the talking for you.  We do have a good team this year but haven't seen PT play so I can't compare. I'm glad the game is at Grim and I like our chances but I won't be doing any smack talking before or after the game. I reserve that only for when we are playing Arkansas High.   

I am waiting to see how we can handle a different animal of an offense.  Should be a fun game.

• Like 3

Honestly, I think most Tiger fans are ignorant of what Pine Tree will bring to Grim on Friday. Having been separated in district play the last two years, we have not been blessed to witness the growth of their program. Randy, if you could help with a brief run down of what to watch for would be helpful.  On the T-High side, you will see the most complete team the Tigers have fielded in recent years. It begins with the line play on both sides of the ball. The OL is large and provide a nice pocket for the QB and can wear down the opponent as the game wears on. The DL is anchored by OU commit Clayton Smith #10 and Derrick  Brown #41. They are both quick and can create havoc. The offense is balanced between the pass and run. Moving junior QB McHenry has improved the offense by moving a playmaker  (Cellers) from QB to WR. On occasion, Smith #10 will line up at WR and create coverage issues for the defense. Looking forward to game Friday.

Pine tree has a qb that can go a lot of designed runs with him as well as  2-3 wrs that can all go get it. Thigh has a defense that gets after it upfront but I do think they have some liabilities in the secondary....if thigh runs the ball and keeps the pine tree offense off the field i think it will be a favorable game. They have shown to be both a quick strike offense as well as one that can grind out a 10 play drive. 

25 minutes ago, bordertown said:

Honestly, I think most Tiger fans are ignorant of what Pine Tree will bring to Grim on Friday. Having been separated in district play the last two years, we have not been blessed to witness the growth of their program. Randy, if you could help with a brief run down of what to watch for would be helpful.  On the T-High side, you will see the most complete team the Tigers have fielded in recent years. It begins with the line play on both sides of the ball. The OL is large and provide a nice pocket for the QB and can wear down the opponent as the game wears on. The DL is anchored by OU commit Clayton Smith #10 and Derrick  Brown #41. They are both quick and can create havoc. The offense is balanced between the pass and run. Moving junior QB McHenry has improved the offense by moving a playmaker  (Cellers) from QB to WR. On occasion, Smith #10 will line up at WR and create coverage issues for the defense. Looking forward to game Friday.

I think Texas high has been waiting for this gm all year. this pine tree senior class beat thigh when they were in the 8th grade. 

1 hour ago, bordertown said:

Pine Tree is lead by their Senior QB DJ Freeman. He's a 5'9" 160lb pure dual threat terror who's 49-80 passing for 845 yds with 12 TD's to NO Int's and 460 yds rushing with 7 TD's.

The overall key thing is that the Pirates are winning by running the ball effectively averaging 270 rushing ypg and are simply controlling the LOS. They also have played virtually turnover free as evidenced by a +7 in the TO ratio category.

Defensively, PT is a veteran group that have played well at times and have shown flashes of being able to play shut down on this side of the ball. What they lack in overall consistantcy they have made up for it in their improved team speed.

RJ

3 minutes ago, randomuser said:

Randy, where did Kerry Lane coach before PT. If my memory serves me right he’s from Union Grove.

Yes...that's where he went to HS. He coached for a number of years at Gilmer as well.

RJ

4 hours ago, RandyJohnson said:

Pine Tree is lead by their Senior QB DJ Freeman. He's a 5'9" 160lb pure dual threat terror who's 49-80 passing for 845 yds with 12 TD's to NO Int's and 460 yds rushing with 7 TD's.

The overall key thing is that the Pirates are winning by running the ball effectively averaging 270 rushing ypg and are simply controlling the LOS. They also have played virtually turnover free as evidenced by a +7 in the TO ratio category.

Defensively, PT is a veteran group that have played well at times and have shown flashes of being able to play shut down on this side of the ball. What they lack in overall consistantcy they have made up for it in their improved team speed.

RJ

I don't understand why people are not talking about Texas High's offense. The Tigers have the district's best offense in my opinion.

8 hours ago, Texlov said:

I don't understand why people are not talking about Texas High's offense. The Tigers have the district's best offense in my opinion.

If you would simply read a couple of the posts by "Bordertown" (on this thread) he DOES cover the Tigers offensive arsenal.

Then go ahead and fill everyone in on more about the Texas High offense...sir !

RJ