Lord, Save Me

RETIREDFAN1

Lord, Save Me

We want to start today by reading about something recorded for us in Matthew.

Matthew 14:22-33

This passage records a time when both Jesus and Peter walked on water. However, when Peter’s faith failed him, he began to sink. So, he cried out and said, “Lord, save me!”. Today we are going to focus on verses 29-30 specifically. We do this in order to learn the lessons that are presented here, so that we can apply them to our lives today.

First we learn that even the best of people can sink. Peter was chosen by Jesus to open the doors to the Kingdom.

Matthew 16: 18 - 19

He did this on the Day of Pentecost recorded for us in Acts 2. He did it once again when the door was opened for the Gentiles in Acts 10.

It’s very clear to anyone that Peter was someone in whom the Lord had a lot of confidence.

Luke 22: 31 - 32

Peter deserved Jesus’ confidence in him. He had faith enough to walk on water with the Lord. So, while not perfect, Peter was one of the best, yet he could sink just like we can.

Next, we learn that sinking times are praying times. When Peter began to sink, He cried out to the only one who could help him. That was Jesus. His cry to be saved from drowning was as natural as a fox running to its hole for safety. Prayer should be like that to us. Prayer should be a natural expression, not something that is forced or strained. 

Philippians 4: 6 - 7

There is no place else for us to go but to the Lord. He is all that we need.

John 6: 66 - 69

Next, we learn that short prayers are long enough. Peter’s prayer was only THREE words. He prayed, “Lord, save me”. His sense of need forced him to get to the point with his earnest prayer to God. A long winded and many worded prayer did not prove his devotion. His prayer was THREE words. Like his prayer, ours need to have less pomp and more purpose.

Matthew 6: 7 - 13

There are several more examples of short prayers that we can read in Scripture.

Matthew 26: 36 - 44

Nehemiah 4: 4 - 5

Nehemiah 5: 19

Nehemiah 6: 9

Nehemiah 6: 14

I Chronicles 4: 10

Next, we find that our calamity is God’s opportunity. Peter was helpless in the middle of a stormy sea. He might have drowned. However, we should never forget that when we can do nothing, God can do all things. All things are possible with God.

Matthew 19: 26

Knowing this fact should drive us to God.

Ephesians 3: 20 - 21

I Peter 5: 7

Jude 1: 24 - 25

We should always remember to give God the opportunity to help us in our greatest hour of need.

The point of this lesson is simple. Not a single one of us is perfect. In fact, we are not required to be perfect. We are never told to be perfect. We are simply told to remain faithful, no matter what situation arises.

Revelation 2: 10

There are some people who actually teach that we must be perfect. They teach that every time we sin, it’s a fall from Grace. This false doctrine takes God out of the judgment equation by making sin and death automatic. God, however, looks at the heart.

Hebrews 4: 12

This false doctrine they teach takes away hope. The people who believe it are left without hope because they will still sin. This is because all honest people KNOW they will continue to sin. No one is perfect and no one can live without sinning. 

I John 1: 8

Romans 3: 23

The people who teach the false doctrine that every sin is a fall from Grace deny that the Blood of Christ continously cleanses the Christian who walks in the light.

I John 1: 7

To walk in the light does not mean to live with sinless perfection.

II Peter 1: 5 - 11

Romans 4: 6 - 8

Psalm 19: 12

To walk in the light means we have obeyed the gospel, and we remain faithfully obedient unto death. 

From a study of Scripture, we also see that God, in His judgment, considers the nature of the sin committed. Was it a sin of ignorance? Was it willful? Was it a presumptuous sin? Was it rebellious? Was it committed inadvertently? 

Those preachers who oppose the concept clearly taught in I John 1: 7, reject the categories set up by God and will say, “well, sin is sin”. Sin is sin, but God has categories. 

Numbers 15: 29

Deuteronomy 1: 43

Deuteronomy 17: 12

Hebrews 10: 26

Despite the categories, when we do sin, we must still repent of that sin and confess it to God in prayer, asking Him to forgive us. 

We must remember and hear it one more time. God does not require us to live in sinless perfection. He only requires our faith. We show our faith by our works. 

James 2: 18

We all know that we will sin. Sin is not a fall from Grace. Sin will always be forgiven when we repent of it.

Acts 8: 22

Sin will always be forgiven when we confess it to God in prayer and ask for Him to forgive us.

I John 1: 9

We learn many great lessons from what happened to Peter. We will all fall from time to time. Some will fall every day of our lives. When we do, prayer is the answer. We pray to God to forgive us and to give us strength. Our prayer doesn’t have to be long and verbose. A short and to the point prayer is our example in Scripture. All is not lost when we sin. We have our hope in Jesus.

Hebrews 10: 1 - 18