2020-2021 Coaching Changes

Valhalla

5 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Oh, trust me, I know.  It would be hard to sell your fan base on that though if Trevor is a Tom Brady/Drew Brees/Aaron Rogers type of QB later in life, and you traded down to get Dak Prescott and some great WRs in return.  It would be good for the immediate turn around, but may never get you past the 1st round of the playoffs.  While the right QB, with a good OL can win you SuperBowls.

Someone did a chart recently on the draft investment on the playoff QBs in this years field. It’s about 90% 1st round picks with a Drew Brees and Tom Brady dragging up the rear. As long as you aren’t drafting Ryan Leaf or Tim Tebow it’s a safer option than rolling the dice on a day 2 or 3 QB. The odds of hitting aren’t as high. I’d take the QB but I dang well do my best to have a line blocking for him. I’m not watching talent get blasted into oblivion by a turnstile LT.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stoney said:

Someone did a chart recently on the draft investment on the playoff QBs in this years field. It’s about 90% 1st round picks with a Drew Brees and Tom Brady dragging up the rear. As long as you aren’t drafting Ryan Leaf or Tim Tebow it’s a safer option than rolling the dice on a day 2 or 3 QB. The odds of hitting aren’t as high. I’d take the QB but I dang well do my best to have a line blocking for him. I’m not watching talent get blasted into oblivion by a turnstile LT.

That's why i felt so bad for Andy Dalton and Dak Prescott this year.  The Cowboys OL was so demolished by COVID/Injuries etc that even Tom, Drew, and Aaron would have had their worst years...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

That's why i felt so bad for Andy Dalton and Dak Prescott this year.  The Cowboys OL was so demolished by COVID/Injuries etc that even Tom, Drew, and Aaron would have had their worst years...

Same. 

I'm not a Cowboy fan or anything, but even I knew there was nothing Dak or Dalton could've done with the hand they were dealt. 

2 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

One of my favorite quotes of all time is the old Colts OC Tom Moore. Someone asked about what happens if Peyton Manning goes down. Tom tells the guy “we don’t practice “screwed.” 

2 minutes ago, topher805 said:

Sports radio in Houston was having a field day on the hypotheticals of Deshaun Watson to Jacksonville for the #1 plus some more...Won't happen but a Watson/Urban combo could be scary...

You bite your tongue! As a long-suffering Dolphin fan I'm hoping he's Miami-bound.  🐬 

4 minutes ago, LOL said:

You bite your tongue! As a long-suffering Dolphin fan I'm hoping he's Miami-bound.  🐬 

I appreciate the offer, but ya'll go ahead and keep Tua. I don't want to take away your #1 overall pick like that. Doesn't seem fair...😂

• LOL! 1

18 minutes ago, topher805 said:

I appreciate the offer, but ya'll go ahead and keep Tua. I don't want to take away your #1 overall pick like that. Doesn't seem fair...😂

Don't blame me, I wanted Miami to draft Lamar.  :D 

• LOL! 1

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

If don’t have a QB then you don’t have anything. 

Urban would not be coming to the NFL to be without a QB. They are taking Lawrence.

I believe so as well. I had a feeling Meyer would not want to go back to college and deal with recruiting.

1 minute ago, ETXfan16 said:

I believe so as well. I had a feeling Meyer would not want to go back to college and deal with recruiting.

The issue with the pro game is that everyone is drafting great players.  In college, its basically "I get whoever I want first then you other guys can get the rest."  So there is no guaranteed success in the NFL.  However, like you guys said, getting a great QB is almost all you need to become good at this game, and you wont even have the pressure or expectation of being an 8 win team for 3 years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stoney said:

Phil Fulmer needs to go too.

They should have hired the chopping wood guy.  Those protests usually die down after a few weeks, then you are in business.  (Talking about Schiano).

I just did some research to defend Pruitt has HC of Tennessee and it quickly changed my mind.  4 years prior to him being hired has HFC of the Vols the recruiting rankings were 17 (2017), 14 (2016), 4 (2015), 7 (2014).  So he inherited some talent right?  The 4 years he has been there they have finished 21 (2018), 13 (2019), 10 (2020), and are currently 15th (2021).  So he has built on that talent and hasn't really won with it.  Throw the cherry on top with a ton of recruiting violations and you have the perfect storm.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

They can’t hire the best guy (Gus) because they just hired the guy as DC who stabbed him in the back at Auburn.

Why bring in a new DC if there was even a possibility of getting rid of Pruitt.

Punt the ‘21 season? NCAA will slap their hands if that with the recruiting violations. Talent is leaving Knoxville. Have a dumpster fire fill in like Ole Miss had after Freeze and before Kiffin.

19 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

They should have hired the chopping wood guy.  Those protests usually die down after a few weeks, then you are in business.  (Talking about Schiano).

I just did some research to defend Pruitt has HC of Tennessee and it quickly changed my mind.  4 years prior to him being hired has HFC of the Vols the recruiting rankings were 17 (2017), 14 (2016), 4 (2015), 7 (2014).  So he inherited some talent right?  The 4 years he has been there they have finished 21 (2018), 13 (2019), 10 (2020), and are currently 15th (2021).  So he has built on that talent and hasn't really won with it.  Throw the cherry on top with a ton of recruiting violations and you have the perfect storm.

That stretch in the East when Florida and Georgia was down after Meyer left and Richt quit caring, Tennessee should have ran the division. They couldn’t do it. Tennessee has been spinning their wheels since 1998.

The Saban coaching tree isn’t the strongest in the world.  Sark and Kiffin if you want to count them as Saban guys. Locksley, McElwain, Pruitt, Muschamp, Dooley. Mark D’Antonio, Kirby Smart and Jimbo Fisher are the cream of the crop.

31 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

They never got the QB spot right.

• Like 1