2020-2021 Coaching Changes

Valhalla

17 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Tennessee just wanted Pruitt gone. 

I would imagine the “violations” that Tennessee found in their own investigation are pretty common place in the SEC. 

Wonder what the difference was in money? 

3 hours ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

agree not competitive in the East is inexcusable for programs that want to be great. I can’t understand why they’re mediocre at best. 

The looming sanctions might make this a less than desirable gig for some of the top names. It’s a pretty well known fact that Tennessee is Hugh Freeze’s dream job, but does he take the plunge considering he might be looking at scholarship limits and a postseason ban for the first two years? Will they be willing to give him the “total control” that the top guys seek now? Will they give him the budget to go get the best staff possible? A lot of questions in this deal. 

1 hour ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Anyone that can beat bama is a risk they’re willing to take.

I saw one article that claims to have inside information (don’t they all?) saying that Bill O’Brien will pass on the BAMA OC job to take the Tennessee HC gig. 

If we want to be honest, Tennessee is closer to Kentucky, South Carolina and Missouri then they are Florida and Georgia. Have been for quite awhile now. Butch Jones got them to back to back 9 win seasons in ‘15/‘16 before that is was Fulmer in ‘07. Other than that, it’s been a lot of losing seasons (8) and not so many winning  (6) since 2007. Average program even with their so called prestige.

10 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

The looming sanctions might make this a less than desirable gig for some of the top names. It’s a pretty well known fact that Tennessee is Hugh Freeze’s dream job, but does he take the plunge considering he might be looking at scholarship limits and a postseason ban for the first two years? Will they be willing to give him the “total control” that the top guys seek now? Will they give him the budget to go get the best staff possible? A lot of questions in this deal. 

Isn’t this a self investigation?  It’s not being done by the ncaa, right?!  If so, they’ll prolly do what LSU did and put a small penalty on themselves and appease the ncaa.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Isn’t this a self investigation?  It’s not being done by the ncaa, right?!  If so, they’ll prolly do what LSU did and put a small penalty on themselves and appease the ncaa.  

Or the NCAA could hammer them like they did Oregon. Lost like 4 scholarships over 2 years. 

25 minutes ago, MeanGreenDogs64 said:

We hired Phil Bennett as our new DC. I think this is a great hire. We score a lot of points, and just need a few stops a game to win. 

Not a bad hire. Ton of experience.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Good luck to him. He’s going to need it.

It's a good pick for UT. He'll make a perfect "guy before the guy." Tenny won't be good with Heupel there, but he'll stick around long enough for them to bottom-out gently. 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 5:16 PM, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

agree not competitive in the East is inexcusable for programs that want to be great. I can’t understand why they’re mediocre at best. 

I think a large part of it is their inability to hire great assistant coaches. It’s hard to keep up with the big offensive changes in the conference when your OC (Jim Cheyney) appears to be stuck in 1994. That’s just one example of second rate coordinator hires. They’ve broken the bank trying to hire the “next big thing” at HC, so they don’t have the budget for a top notch staff. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...