Hallsville forfeits to Marshall

Mavchamp

I have already been informed by Coach Griedl that Hallsville has forfeited the game.  It will count as a 2 point win for Marshall.

This moves Marshall's record to (5-4) overall and (3-3) in district play.

The Mavs and the Bobcats have played every season since 2000, making it the second longest active series for Marshall, second only to Longview. 

Marshall leads the series (16-5).

--------

It wIll be interesting to see if we will try to get another game lined up with another team that is getting cancelled.

I hope we can play.  A week off does nothing for us.

--------

Looks like Marshall-Nac will be a "win and get in" game for both.

1 hour ago, Nacwagons said:

They are trying for herd immunity before baseball starts.:)

All their other sports are still playing. 

Band was at marching contest this week. 

Odd how football is the only one getting shut down. 

• Confused 1

Agreed! The probability of just football players/coaches being affected in a 1300+ student school is quite low. And, for it to be 3 district games in a row? I am NOT saying they are purposely tanking but it’s just Very odd. maybe someone from Hallsville can enlighten us. 

12 minutes ago, Matt said:

Agreed! The probability of just football players/coaches being affected in a 1300+ student school is quite low. And, for it to be 3 district games in a row? I am NOT saying they are purposely tanking but it’s just Very odd. maybe someone from Hallsville can enlighten us. 

The question I have.... since we aren't playing this coming week.... 

Can we find a non-district game to play in it's place???

A week off before playing Nac sounds no bueno to me.  We need to be playing.... getting reps... and hopefully trying to fix our OL issues.

To me.... a meaningless game would be better than a week of practice.

I'd like to see us play on Friday.... no matter who it's against. 

And also...... would it count on our record? It would give us 11 games on our regular season even though only 10 were played.

No idea.  Strange times.

20 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I have already been informed by Coach Griedl that Hallsville has forfeited the game.  It will count as a 2 point win for Marshall.

This moves Marshall's record to (5-4) overall and (3-3) in district play.

The Mavs and the Bobcats have played every season since 2000, making it the second longest active series for Marshall, second only to Longview. 

Marshall leads the series (16-5).

--------

It wIll be interesting to see if we will try to get another game lined up with another team that is getting cancelled.

I hope we can play.  A week off does nothing for us.

--------

Looks like Marshall-Nac will be a "win and get in" game for both.

I guess if Nac would pull a huge upset of Texas High that would clinch the 4th spot?

32 minutes ago, Eagle1986 said:

I guess if Nac would pull a huge upset of Texas High that would clinch the 4th spot?

No.  Even if Nac was to beat TXH and improve to 4-2.... they would have to beat Marshall.  

Because if Marshall then beat Nac they would both be 4-3 in district with the tie breaker going to Marshall. 

Win or lose Vs THS...  Nac needs to beat Marshall to get in. 

7 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

A week off before playing Nac sounds no bueno to me.  We need to be playing.... getting reps... and hopefully trying to fix our OL issues.

And also...... would it count on our record? It would give us 11 games on our regular season even though only 10 were played.

No idea.  Strange times.

So confusing...11 games, I have no idea... meh, it’s 2020, what do you expect? 

20 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I know lol

but also a legit question..... why is football thr only extracurricular being shut down at HHS???

I am wondering at this point are they making sure they are not deciding playoff spots with forfeits? I am not saying they would have won any of these games, but maybe they are looking at it that way. Forfeits to MP, Nac, Marshall and then PT, all of those schools were in the battle for the playoffs so, it could be part of their consideration. Just speculation. 

19 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

No idea.  Strange times.

See and I am opposite, I would rather not play a game and possible exposure or injury with such a big game coming. We probably could have played Lufkin on our week off since they had a cancelation as well. Glad we didn't but I guess this is the same argument as Rest vs Rust after you clinch a playoff spot. Everyone will have their own thoughts on what they think would be better. 

27 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

They don’t really seem to care too much about football over at Hallsville.

They have eviscerated that program IMHO to become a baseball (and softball) school. 

Granted.... they have probably the best baseball program in East Texas in 5A.  But it seems to come with a high price. 

21 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

No idea.  Strange times.

You know @Mavchamp, on Thanksgiving Day in 1907, Marshall High School played a game against a group of guys from Uptown (wherever that was in Marshall) known as the Marshall Townies and charged 25 cent admission. If @MavGrad99 is down, I'm good with playing an exhibition if you are.. The Townies did win that day 19-4

• LOL! 1

3 minutes ago, burrows said:

You know @Mavchamp, on Thanksgiving Day in 1907, Marshall High School played a game against a group of guys from Uptown (wherever that was in Marshall) known as the Marshall Townies and charged 25 cent admission. If @MavGrad99 is down, I'm good with playing an exhibition if you are.. The Townies did win that day 19-4

I’ve seen that game on the history page. Always wondered what it was about. 

As for me playing..... lmao.  

Im 5’5” and 40-ish......I’ll pass. 

• LOL! 1

10 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I’ve seen that game on the history page. Always wondered what it was about. 

As for me playing..... lmao.  

Im 5’5” and 40-ish......I’ll pass. 

Well I mean Darren Sproles was only 5'6 so you'd be perfect as a slot receiver! 🤣 Plus we could utilize your other skills every time one of us goes down with an injury which will probably be more often than not

• LOL! 2

1 hour ago, burrows said:

Game would be over in the 1st quarter when my hip and knee give out after my first fly route

• LOL! 2

This football team really needs to play someone. They never play well after a week off. I got tickled after the MP game coach Griedl was interviewed and made the comment that they need to fix the OL. Don’t believe y’all know how to fix that bunch. You’ve had what 7 games with very little success. Try putting a sophomore OL in. Couldn’t hurt. What your doing is not working now anyway. It’s really a shame the defense is playing so well and has been improving weekly but very very little help from the offense which as gone down hill almost weekly. A team means a team effort from everyone. 100% every play OL needs to actually play a full game and more that  DL around. Hold your blocks to give the running backs and quarterback time to make things happen! Who ever is responsible for the OL needs to try and get more than 20% out of them! You fix that and we have a team!🤘Go MAVS 🤘