Carthage Defensive Coordinator, Darren Preston, could be the next coaching guru at the right school?

Pittstrike52

19 minutes ago, DAWG91 said:

Would he have left Gilmer dynasty to coach at UTSA? Maybe,  I don't know.  Only he can answer that one.

Depends on if retirement money is important to him, amongst other things. 
$800,000 his first year and 5% raise the next 4 years ain’t bad. 
And yes, if he stayed at Gilmer, he would have had a nice retirement income compared to most. 

49 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

And yes, if he stayed at Gilmer, he would have had a nice retirement income compared to most. 

It will take 3 years at least of combining Surratt and Preston’s incomes to even get close to what Traylor will make in one year.

2 hours ago, cotton84 said:

You can build up a pretty nice nest egg making $800K/ year. Let’s say next year he gets UTSA to 7-4. Who’s to say bigger jobs don’t come calling. I doubt TRS compares to what a guy can build up making 7 figures. 

4 hours ago, DAWG91 said:

This...the grass is always greener until it's not.  What's Traylor doing these days?  Seems he's bounced around quite a bit since leaving the dynasty he created at Gilmer.  Not at all saying that would happen to Coach S and Coach P but there aren't any guarantees it won't either.  Coaching is a fickle profession.

Look at it how you want, bounced? Or gained experience?  On his way to making a million $ a year. Idk if that was his plan, but that’s some green grass 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maineman1988 said:

Look at it how you want, bounced? Or gained experience?  On his way to making a million $ a year. Idk if that was his plan, but that’s some green grass 

Gained experience bouncing around.  Wish him nothing but the best.  Maybe he can make a go of it in san antone,  and yes that's really green grass, no arguments there.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2020 at 11:17 AM, Sportsfanatic1 said:

He's been offered multiple jobs and he's stayed put every time. Him and Suratt came to Carthage together. It's gonna take something huge for him to leave.

Probably content with chasing perfection rather than chasing wins so he doesn't have to move his family.

When the kids graduate, a change will be much more interesting.

1 hour ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Sometimes you can content on what you already have and maybe a reason why they have turned down multiple jobs. The Grass your standing on could be just as green .

1. Outstanding winning program that always is in contention.

2. Great facilities and Good assistants helping you in the goal. 

3. One of the highest paid in your job so not like it chump change. 

4. Go down as the Goat if not already there.

5. Loyal supporters .

Loyal supporters - go sit in the middle of the Carthage fans during a game and you will hear at least 20 people who think the can call a better offensive game than Little Belichick.  SMH.

But in general you are correct. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Loyal supporters - go sit in the middle of the Carthage fans during a game and you will hear at least 20 people who think the can call a better offensive game than Little Belichick.  SMH.

But in general you are correct. 

I’m sure “We should have punted!” comes out from time to time.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 2

2 hours ago, PantherNation2015 said:

I’m sure “We should have punted!” comes out from time to time.

That’s funny! But I’d love to know what his conversion rate is on 4th downs. He always has the absolute perfect play drawn up and they convert much more often than not as far as I can recall.

There is zero chance the Carthage faithful question Surratt or make critical comments as often as other teams’ fans. I seriously doubt with the skins on the wall Surratt & Co have the Bulldog fans question them nearly as often as other fans question their coaching staffs.

Every now and then I find myself thinking maybe we should punt in this situation and then Carthage easily picks up the first down and I immediately remind myself to hush and trust Surratt. 

• Like 1

Besides all the positive things that has been listed about being at a great program there are a couple of things that, if you ask any assistant who made this jump to AD/Head football coach somewhere else and they list two things that they probably didn't even consider when taking the job but turned out to be HUGE!!! 

1. Being responsible for the success/failure of all the  "other" sports that are being played. In the end HE is responsible for hiring good coaches and implementing an off season program for ALL the athletes (girls and boys). Almost every AD that I have coached under repeated the same thing...If I wasn't responsible for the other sports this would be a great job...they all take ten times more flak about the other sports than football.

2. Not being able to hire quality assistants. Especially at smaller schools where the budget and number of coaches are limited. Especially in todays "new normal" classroom setting. It is extremely hard to find quality, loyal coaches today and keep them when they can't give them well earned raises...and it's going to get harder.

On 11/21/2020 at 11:17 AM, Sportsfanatic1 said:

He's been offered multiple jobs and he's stayed put every time. Him and Suratt came to Carthage together. It's gonna take something huge for him to leave.

What jobs was he offered? People always say this but never say what jobs were offered to him.

23 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

What jobs was he offered? People always say this but never say what jobs were offered to him.

Since your a Carthage alum or whatever it may be it shouldn't be hard for you to find out.

I'm just friends of some big time supporters and some of the parents who have/are playing there or have played there. That's as far as I will go on the situation on this board.

2 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Since your a Carthage alum or whatever it may be it shouldn't be hard for you to find out.

I'm just friends of some big time supporters and some of the parents who have/are playing there or have played there. That's as far as I will go on the situation on this board.

This makes no sense. Why is it too secret who wants to hire him? What harm does knowing doing? Why say it ,of you're not willing to give the information?

26 minutes ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

Tyler high for the last decade has been in the state championship conversation every year except for 2019 and this season. They just had a 4th round appearance in 2018 lol.

Add in 2015 and 2017 to that as well. And you have to admit that 2018 season was out of the complete blue. Especially after struggling against West, North and Poteet.