Despising the Blood of Christ

RETIREDFAN1

Despising the Blood of Christ

We are going to start our lesson today by reading from the book of Hebrews.

Hebrews 10:23-31

The Hebrew writer warned that just like the Mosaic Law required obedience, so did the Law of Christ. In fact, rejecting Christ’s law would bring a greater punishment. He calls rejection of Christ’s Law trampling the Son of God underfoot. He states that this is the same as counting the blood of Christ as a common thing, and insulting the Spirit. 

I’m betting that if you ask most people, they would quickly claim they would never do such a thing, but let’s study scripture today and see if they are right. 

What are some things connected to the blood of Christ?

First, there is the body of Christ. The Bible teaches that life is in the blood.

Leviticus 17:11-14

Christ gave His blood to purchase the church.

Acts 20:28

The church is called the body of Christ. The Church is His Body.

Ephesians 1: 22 - 23

Christ is the head of His Body.

Colossians 1: 18

The relationship between Christ and the Church is the same as the marriage relationship.

Ephesians 5: 23

Ephesians 5: 29 - 30

Despite this, there are many who believe that the church is not essential. There are people who believe you can be saved without being a member of the Church. These are people who by their actions are haphazard in their attendance. 

Hebrews 10: 25

By relegating the church to a non-essential role, they have stated by word or action that Christ’s sacrifice on behalf of the church was not all that important. Christ is the Savior of the body. If we can be saved without the church, then we can be saved without Christ.

Next, there is the Lord’s Supper. The fruit of the vine is our sharing in the blood of Christ.

I Corinthians 10:15-17

It memorializes the covenant that was sealed by His blood. Matthew 26:27-28

Despite this, the Lord’s Supper occupies a minimal role in most denominations. It is taken infrequently. No one thinks twice if it is missed, but the early church placed huge significance on partaking of the Lord’s Supper. It is something that they did regularly. 

Acts 20:7

Why did they do this?

I Corinthians 11: 26

When the Corinthian church lessened the importance of the Lord’s supper, causing it to be treated much like a common meal, they were taken to task.

I Corinthians 11:20-22

We are to consider carefully how we treat this memorial.

I Corinthians 11:27-30

Some people don’t think it is all that important to assemble for worship. When they don’t, they miss joining with brothers and sisters in sharing the body and blood of Christ. Many purposely miss the main service, because they believe they can always make up for it later, and even then it doesn’t matter if they miss the later service either.  Just how important do they think remembering the death of Christ is in their lives?

Next is baptism. The blood of Christ purchased our salvation. Ephesians 1:7

We are conveyed to the kingdom and redeemed through His blood.

Colossians 1:13-14

The Blood of Christ is precious. 

I Peter 1:17-19

Christ died to cleanse the church.

Ephesians 5:25-26

When we are baptized, we enter into Christ’s death.

Romans 6:3-11

Notice the importance placed on Christ’s death that brought us life. How do we take advantage of that death? Through baptism! Baptism washes away our past sins.

Acts 22:16

This is not through the power of the water, but by the power of Jesus' sacrifice.

I Peter 3: 21 - 22

It is a working of God.

Colossians 2: 11 - 12

Yet most of the people who call themselves Christian try to say that baptism is not necessary for salvation.  A lot even claim and teach that it can be altered from a burial, which is total immersion in water,  to sprinkling or pouring. Is this not contempt for what baptism represents?

Finally, there is the Covenant. The blood of Christ sealed the covenant.

Hebrews 9:15-18

Covenants establish the pattern of our service, and we serve under a better covenant.

Hebrews 8:4-6

Yet how many treat the covenant as if they can change it at any time to suit the whims of men? If the first covenant was unalterable, what about the second?

Hebrews 2:1-4

In fact, those who do try to change it are cursed. 

Galatians 1: 6 - 10

The denominations that vote on what they will or will not accept are showing their contempt for the blood of Christ which purchased a covenant that they think they can vote on accepting or rejecting? Did they die to have it established? Then why do they think they can alter its terms?

The worship of men is vain.

Matthew 15:9

They will not last.

Matthew 15:12-13

God’s kingdom will last because it was purchased at a price beyond cost.

Hebrews 12:28-29

The only question is whether you will be a part of that kingdom. Will you show respect for the blood of Christ?