Region 4A-D1 Semis: Paris vs Melissa and Argyle vs La Vega

regaleagle

A couple of Rock-em Sock-em games here coming up........Paris/Melissa gets to settle what was left to conjecture in the regular season.  And La Vega gets another chance for the third year in a row to oust Argyle from the playoffs.  It's really anybody's region at this point.......which teams will advance for the showdown?

I read where the Argyle/La Vega game will be played at Owl Stadium in Joshua on Friday @ 7:30 PM.  Texas Bob's says this stadium seats around 9300 at capacity.......artificial turf and video scoreboard.   Looks like the venue is a good one for a 4A playoff game and appears to be very close to a midpoint for both schools.  Not sure yet who is home team in this one......not that it really matters to the players or coaches. Joshua is S of Fort Worth and S of Burleson on 174 and N. of Cleburne.....about an hour's drive for both teams.  The weather forecast for the Fort Worth area on Friday is not good......rainy and cold w/some wind out of the NW......not good for Argyle......again! 

The weather will most likely be the same for the Melissa/Paris game......IF they play on Friday.  If they play on Thursday(probably not) then the weather will be good. The Friday forecast will not favor Melissa either......but would be favorable for a run-heavy team like Paris that also has a very good defense.

25 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Melissa and Argyle advance. 

Under normal weather conditions.......I would agree with this.  There's always the chance that the forecast could change between now and Friday in Texas.......let's hope so.  Rainy and windy type weather are not very conducive for exciting football......esp. for the fans. It says the wind chill will be in the low 40's in the evening.

I do know that the Argyle/La Vega game will be Livestreamed by NFHS......not sure about the Melissa/Paris game yet.  I hope they send some qualified people for the Livestreaming of the Argyle game this time.  Looks like it's the luck of the draw on many of these NFHS games.

When considering which teams will advance in playoff games.....esp. in the 3rd Round.....the weather must always be factored in to the equation if the game is played in an outdoor stadium.   The matchups are usually between two quality teams in this round,  so with inclimate weather anything can happen......and usually does.

5 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

When considering which teams will advance in playoff games.....esp. in the 3rd Round.....the weather must always be factored in to the equation if the game is played in an outdoor stadium.   The matchups are usually between two quality teams in this round,  so with inclimate weather anything can happen......and usually does.

Agreed, I didn’t look up the forecast before picking the winners. 

1 hour ago, regaleagle said:

This is the 4th or 5th time you’ve mentioned bad weather not favoring Argyle.  Are you getting your excuses made already?

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

This is the 4th or 5th time you’ve mentioned bad weather not favoring Argyle.  Are you getting your excuses made already?

IS this question really necessary?  It's just a fact that predominant passing offenses are at a disadvantage in rainy conditions.......and Argyle is not the only team that relies heavily on a passing attack.  I was making light of a possible change in what fans might expect this week in these two games.......because of the forecast for inclimate rainy conditions.  Anybody with half a brain that is a football fan knows that rainy conditions usually play a major factor in how a game might turn out. I guess you are a troublemaker, Huh?  I'm not........I'm a high school football fan first and then a huge Argyle fan next.

2 hours ago, regaleagle said:

IS this question really necessary?  It's just a fact that predominant passing offenses are at a disadvantage in rainy conditions.......and Argyle is not the only team that relies heavily on a passing attack.  I was making light of a possible change in what fans might expect this week in these two games.......because of the forecast for inclimate rainy conditions.  Anybody with half a brain that is a football fan knows that rainy conditions usually play a major factor in how a game might turn out. I guess you are a troublemaker, Huh?  I'm not........I'm a high school football fan first and then a huge Argyle fan next.

Is stating it 4-5 times really necessary?  Like you said, anybody with half a brain knows wet conditions hurt a passing team more.  You don’t have to tell us over and over 

I just saw on maxpreps that Argyle, Melissa , and Paris are ranked 1,2,3 in class 4a d1. Now I know it’s maxpreps but it shows you how crazy good this district was. And 1 more thing, what has Melissa done this year to make people think they are so much better than Paris? Just curious.

5 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Contrary to Argyle fan popular belief, LV was going to beat us no matter where or what conditions we played in the last two playoff meetings. LV simply had a better squad those two meetings and our defensive scheme was completely different from what is going on now.  Plus, we no longer have a QB that will repeatedly slide before a first down marker with no one within three yards of him.  I do not think LV has the defensive force they have had in the past to stop both the pass and run game Argyle currently has (those former LV linebackers...ouch!!!).  The new OC is great at mixing it up and utilizing our big TE just when the defense gets comfortable.  It may be closer than if played in optimal weather conditions for Argyle but I feel Argyle wins this round rain or shine.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CatNizzle said:

I just saw on maxpreps that Argyle, Melissa , and Paris are ranked 1,2,3 in class 4a d1. Now I know it’s maxpreps but it shows you how crazy good this district was. And 1 more thing, what has Melissa done this year to make people think they are so much better than Paris? Just curious.

Personally, I'm very impressed with the Wildcats two wins over Heritage. I watched the Livestream of that game last week and saw how Paris kept Heritage from scoring inside the 20  three times.  And you look at how stingy the Wildcat defense was against Argyle.......not too shabby if you ask me.  The Paris D has proven to be very tough against both the pass and the run from what I've seen.  Team speed to the ball is excellent......and most of the players are very athletic types.  The QB Hohenberger now has 2 seasons of varsity under his belt and is the coach's son.  He has good moves and deceptive speed on keepers.  He works the offense very effeciently too.  I think the O-line for the Wildcats has also improved thru the season......the D-line was very good early on.  Good kicker too.

14 minutes ago, tartar said:

Contrary to Argyle fan popular belief, LV was going to beat us no matter where or what conditions we played in the last two playoff meetings. LV simply had a better squad those two meetings and our defensive scheme was completely different from what is going on now.  Plus, we no longer have a QB that will repeatedly slide before a first down marker with no one within three yards of him.  I do not think LV has the defensive force they have had in the past to stop both the pass and run game Argyle currently has (those former LV linebackers...ouch!!!).  The new OC is great at mixing it up and utilizing our big TE just when the defense gets comfortable.  It may be closer than if played in optimal weather conditions for Argyle but I feel Argyle wins this round rain or shine.

I agree with your entire post.  I never said La Vega would win this year, and I agree that Argyle has the better team this season.  I was simply pointing out that weather can make a difference in close games and usually does.  It definitely has a negative effect on the passing game, for sure.......I don't care what level or how good your QB and receivers are. Footing can also be a cause for concern in wet and rainy conditions for both teams......and slipping off of tackles. How about ball handling?  There's just a myriad of situations that happen differently in this game when it's raining.

19 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Personally, I'm very impressed with the Wildcats two wins over Heritage. I watched the Livestream of that game last week and saw how Paris kept Heritage from scoring inside the 20  three times.  And you look at how stingy the Wildcat defense was against Argyle.......not too shabby if you ask me.  The Paris D has proven to be very tough against both the pass and the run from what I've seen.  Team speed to the ball is excellent......and most of the players are very athletic types.  The QB Hohenberger now has 2 seasons of varsity under his belt and is the coach's son.  He has good moves and deceptive speed on keepers.  He works the offense very effeciently too.  I think the O-line for the Wildcats has also improved thru the season......the D-line was very good early on.  Good kicker too.

At the same time, I'm also very impressed with all of the offensive weapons and firepower Melissa has this season.  It's just undeniable that the Cardinals are set up to score lots of points.  But against a quality defense and some wet conditions some of that firepower thru the air will disappear.  Argyle's D held Melissa under 30 pts in great weather.......just to give an example.  

11 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

At the same time, I'm also very impressed with all of the offensive weapons and firepower Melissa has this season.  It's just undeniable that the Cardinals are set up to score lots of points.  But against a quality defense and some wet conditions some of that firepower thru the air will disappear.  Argyle's D held Melissa under 30 pts in great weather.......just to give an example.  

Excellent takes regal. I think that some people look at Paris and because they don’t run the “shiny, pretty offense” they don’t think they are that good. It was amazing how many people thought MH would roll over them. Even after Paris beat them earlier this year. Paris is not flashy, but they are a tough, hard nosed team and very physical. 

2 hours ago, regaleagle said:

I agree with your entire post.  I never said La Vega would win this year, and I agree that Argyle has the better team this season.  I was simply pointing out that weather can make a difference in close games and usually does.  It definitely has a negative effect on the passing game, for sure.......I don't care what level or how good your QB and receivers are. Footing can also be a cause for concern in wet and rainy conditions for both teams......and slipping off of tackles. How about ball handling?  There's just a myriad of situations that happen differently in this game when it's raining.

I agree too if it is cold and raining ball handling and footing will be an issue for both teams. Argyle’s new found defensive depth and RB depth will prove to be a huge advantage as it has been all season. You could see it grinding down Stephenville last week like a slow moving freight train as the game progressed. Nasty weather will make it even more important this week. There will be some tense time periods when the game seems close but Argyle depth will eventually take its toll on LV and we pull away in the third quarter by at least +2 scores...I hope.