Region 4A-D1 Semis: Paris vs Melissa and Argyle vs La Vega

regaleagle

Bottom line is it was gonna be a fan's dream to watch these two games this Friday not knowing who might win.  But now that we have a bad weather forecast, suddenly every play in the game becomes even more intense.  I'm guessing that games down south in maybe Central Texas or lower might escape some of this weather, but haven't heard about west and east of the metro area yet.   That means a multitude of very high level playoff action this week could be full of "upsets" depending on the location of these games and if they are affected by the rainy conditions too.  I remember that game against La Vega two seasons ago in the freezing rainy weather in Burleson......just miserable conditions to play a football game in and miserable conditions for the fans in the stands.  I can't imagine another game this time around having weather to play a football game as bad as that one.......I hope it doesn't get like that!  Maybe some intermittent rain w/temps in the low 40's.......but the 15 mph wind gusts with the rain makes the whole situation even colder and more miserable for everybody.  In that game the rain just never stopped.......the fans that showed up and stayed got gold stars for extreme loyalty.

I doubt the Paris-Melissa game will be live streamed. 

The key matchup in this game will be the Paris offense vs. the Melissa defense.  The Paris O-line has really been a major surprise this season.  They're not big but they're quick and efficient and create consistent seams for those running backs to squeeze through.  If they don't self-implode (turnovers, penalties), this could be a track meet, and that undersized Paris defense has been stellar all season to trust that they can make enough key stops to stay in the game.

Their secondary borders on excellence.......but so does the secondary of the Wildcats.  Yep.......Paris needs to score and keep pace with the Melissa offense, or get the lead and play some of that stout defense they've been playing all season.  Both games are gonna be tough sleddin' for the defenses......that's the way I see it.  The team in each game that can get a lead and burn some clock definitely has the advantage.  Argyle and Melissa like to score quickly, but that kind of action might not develop very easily in these games.

The Friday evening weather forecast has improved so not sure how factor weather will be at this point.

Argyle-LaVega- I like probably everybody else thinks this will be a closer game than the earlier match up but still think the Eagles will win. Thinking Argyle maintains a 1-2 TD lead throughout the night and wins 37-20. The Eagle D is underrated this year and unlike previous years I do not think Argyle has peaked too soon. LV best chance is to jump out to early lead and then hope the Eagle mental state is 'oh no, here we go again'. A safe bet is whoever wins the coin flip takes the ball first. Tito Byce appears to be back and healthy and that is big for the Eagles state title hopes.

Melissa-Paris-  This game being played like a small victory for TX HS football over Covid as the district matchup was wiped out due to stupid Covid. Melissa's D especially against the run is improved quite a bit over past few years, so thinking Paris must throw well to win this game. Not sure if they can do that but with the QB a coaches son I'm sure they will be prepared. The Melissa O vs Paris D will be fun to watch. Melissa avg 50.3 points a game and Paris gives up ALOT less than that. Melissa avg just over 500 yds a game and Paris gives up ALOT less than that. Paris defeated a very good Midlo Heritage team 2 times and last week Melissa handled a feisty previously unbeaten Kennedale squad holding them to 1 offensive TD and under 150 yards rushing. It may come down to special team/turnovers and giving Melissa a slight edge there. I like the Cardinals 39-30.

Argyle is finally playing pretty good defense for the 1st time in several years. I think with the improvement on D, and the fact that LV is kind of reloading for the 1st time in a while, Argyle should win by a couple of TDs. Seems like LV never really recovered this season after they lost their starting QB. I think it’s closer than the 1st game, but Argyle should win comfortably. But one thing is for sure, LV is still definitely a live dog in this one. They have won a lot of big games since 2015.

On 11/23/2020 at 6:51 AM, regaleagle said:

I agree with the Melissa part......but now with this early weather forecast for Friday, I'm not so sure about the Argyle part.  That kind of weather does NOT favor Argyle in this matchup at all.

If any weather is enough of a factor to get Argyle beat by LV, then they didn’t deserve to advance anyway. Great teams are able to adjust to different situations and change their style of play accordingly. Not at all saying Argyle will get beat, just saying that if weather hampers your team to the point of losing a playoff game you had bigger problems than the weather. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

I assuming Vega lost a lot from previous years. Hadn’t heard from them or their poster /Coach all year.

No I think they returned a lot of players from last years team. Just a huge loss to lose your starting QB. That took Rodgers away from doing what he normally does when he had to move to QB. That also affects the way he plays D. You can over come a lot of injuries, but losing a QB is a big one.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

No I think they returned a lot of players from last years team. Just a huge loss to lose your starting QB. That took Rodgers away from doing what he normally does when he had to move to QB. That also affects the way he plays D. You can over come a lot of injuries, but losing a QB is a big one.

I agree......with Rauls back under center it frees up Jordan Rogers to be more of a force on defense, and also gives LV another weapon to deal with on offense, not to mention Rauls himself.  I think Rauls does play defense in the secondary, but they will most likely just have him playing QB in this game.  I don't know the extent of his injury earlier this season or what kind of injury it was.  Just the fact that he's back under center helps the Pirates on both sides of the ball, IMO.

1 hour ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

If any weather is enough of a factor to get Argyle beat by LV, then they didn’t deserve to advance anyway. Great teams are able to adjust to different situations and change their style of play accordingly. Not at all saying Argyle will get beat, just saying that if weather hampers your team to the point of losing a playoff game you had bigger problems than the weather. 

I totally disagree with your statement regarding weather(raining and wet) not being an issue is a close game between two top ranked teams.......history says differently in football at all levels.  It definitely affects a team that passes the ball more......end of story.  To think and state otherwise is just ridiculous and off the wall. 

1 hour ago, regaleagle said:

I totally disagree with your statement regarding weather(raining and wet) not being an issue is a close game between two top ranked teams.......history says differently in football at all levels.  It definitely affects a team that passes the ball more......end of story.  To think and state otherwise is just ridiculous and off the wall. 

Regal, the latest weather report for Friday night for Joshua looks like zero rain to me sir. 

5 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Regal, the latest weather report for Friday night for Joshua looks like zero rain to me sir. 

I looked today and it said over 50 % starting in the evening with cooler temps and wind out of the NNE at 10-15 mph.......that was around 4 pm.

5 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

But now it's showing that front will not hit until Saturday evening......sparing the Friday night games of the rainy conditions.  Good ol' Texas gulf coast breezes keeping the front off of us for one day, I guess.   So you are correct, Sir........it will be delayed by one day, and my hopes have become realized.  Good luck out there in playoff land for all of the battles on the gridiron of glory Friday night.......Yippeee and Yeehaaa!!!

• Like 1

Really great news for all of the Friday Night Lights fans that have bought tickets and those that will buy tickets now at the gates.  Nothing worse for the fans than watching these games in parkas and getting soaked in the process with temps in the low 40's.   Let the games begin.......in dry conditions for the very best results.  

I'll be in the kitchen in the morning early making the banana pudding.......it will be just my son and I this year for Turkey Day.  But I'll make enough for the weekend for us......we are banana pudding junkies, LOL.  Also got one of those Lemon Meringue Pies for dessert......I don't do pumpkin, but my son does.  So we compromised.  I'm the chef, so really he will gladly acceed to my culinary choices and kitchen mastery.  I became a widower in my mid-50's and saw no good reason to tie another knot in life.......simplicity does have its own benefits.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

I'll be in the kitchen in the morning early making the banana pudding.......it will be just my son and I this year for Turkey Day.  But I'll make enough for the weekend for us......we are banana pudding junkies, LOL.  Also got one of those Lemon Meringue Pies for dessert......I don't do pumpkin, but my son does.  So we compromised.  I'm the chef, so really he will gladly acceed to my culinary choices and kitchen mastery.  I became a widower in my mid-50's and saw no good reason to tie another knot in life.......simplicity does have its own benefits.

But I'm not beyond being seduced and tempted by a beautiful woman.......I'm not totally simplistic. But she would have to possess tons of upside and very little downside for me to even consider the possibilities, LOL.

• Thanks 2

Ok, here are my options on both games. 

Melissa/Paris both well coached teams with lots of talent on both sides of the ball. Paris has a really good defense and can slow a good offense down. ( ask Argyle ) Melissa has a really good offense but they also have a solid defense. I see Melissa winning this game by 1 or 2 scores. Should be a tight game till the 4th qt.

Argyle / LaVega The Rematch! Seems every season of late these 2 teams collide with each other twice. Of course LaVega winning when it matters. Not this time! Strap those helmets on tight boys, them Eagles are for real. I don’t care if Raul’s is back under center or playing defense, he can’t beat this Argyle team by himself! LaVega couldn’t stop the running game of Argyle in their first meeting this season and they dang sure won’t stop it now. LaVega will double #5 all night long which will open up the passing game for the Eagles other talented receivers. I don’t look for Argyle to go to the air as much as normal, but I think you will get a heavy load of the 4 headed monster backfield that runs behind that big O-line. Argyles D is much improved from the first meeting and look for them to make several stops and force the Pirates to punt early. Not gonna be a good night for the Pirates if Argyle jumps out to a 14 point lead. Hard to play catch-up against this talented of a team. I see Argyle winning 42- 21 and moving on to face Melissa. Much respect for the Pirates, but they are not the same team of years past. We’ve all been there before. 

That's a nice little dissertation for an Argyle fan, 2014........I sure hope it goes something like you have detailed.  There ain't no easy games left for Argyle or anybody else in Division 1........looks like all of the games will be very competitive every week from here on out.  Every region seems to have some very good matchups happening. 

On 11/24/2020 at 8:49 AM, Parisian said:

I doubt the Paris-Melissa game will be live streamed. 

The key matchup in this game will be the Paris offense vs. the Melissa defense.  The Paris O-line has really been a major surprise this season.  They're not big but they're quick and efficient and create consistent seams for those running backs to squeeze through.  If they don't self-implode (turnovers, penalties), this could be a track meet, and that undersized Paris defense has been stellar all season to trust that they can make enough key stops to stay in the game.

Yeah......I searched everywhere to find some kind of Livestream for this game.......could not find one.  That's too bad......because this should prove to be a game any 4A fan would love to see.  I like to watch the On Demand replays of the playoff games as much as possible........you can only watch a couple Live at one time.

I watched the On Demand Livestream of the Springtown/Dumas game this evening........tried to watch it Live and gave up.......just too many "bugs" on the Livestream for some reason.  But I've learned that the On Demand tape replays don't have the same interruptions or bad connection signals as the Livestreams.......so I watched it after the fact and it turned out to be a good watch.  The game itself wasn't very impressive......Springtown won 24-14 in a "defensive" game.  But I didn't see much from either team that any of the Region 2 teams left couldn't topple.  Maybe the other Region 1 game between Decatur and Canyon will prove to be more formidable teams.

13 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

I watched the On Demand Livestream of the Springtown/Dumas game this evening........tried to watch it Live and gave up.......just too many "bugs" on the Livestream for some reason.  But I've learned that the On Demand tape replays don't have the same interruptions or bad connection signals as the Livestreams.......so I watched it after the fact and it turned out to be a good watch.  The game itself wasn't very impressive......Springtown won 24-14 in a "defensive" game.  But I didn't see much from either team that any of the Region 2 teams left couldn't topple.  Maybe the other Region 1 game between Decatur and Canyon will prove to be more formidable teams.

Now we know why Stephenville was able to go in and put the whack attack against a top-ranked Dumas team earlier this season.  I don't care that they gave Canyon their only loss of the season.......I look for Canyon to come out on top against Decatur this week.   I think that was just "one of those nights" for Canyon, but they really do have a more complete team and very balanced offense to advance this week and to win the region against Springtown next week.  Springtown has a good defense, and some big play capabilities.......but against better competition I think their defense will show some areas to exploit.  The Springtown offense is not consistent and sputters to move the chains and mount drives.  They usually gain huge yards on a pass play and score off of those.  

Same here, just finished watching it and really wasn’t all that impressed with ST. I honestly don’t think they can win the next round against Decatur or Canyon. I’m also with you on Canyon beating Decatur. Just don’t think Decatur has the D-fence to stop Canyon. 

On 11/26/2020 at 2:41 AM, regaleagle said:

Banana Pudding and Lemon Meringue are hard to beat!!!

Yes......we are into our banana pudding/lemon meringue weekend already........one of the luxuries I allow myself on special occasions.  I don't have it very often......maybe 4 times a year........and that's what makes it taste so good.  I will admit to eating banan$a pudding more than lemon meringue pie......it goes so well after the BBQ and it's almost sacrilegious not to even have banana pudding as an option at a Texas BBQ joint.  Those that don't have missed the mark.......and an additional income stream in the process. If I had a BBQ joint.......I'd be sure to offer the banana pudding at a low price.......and have two sizes and two price points......$2 for a small and $3.50 for a large.  That would keep the house packed for sure........and get the word out for all of those banana pudding junkies to come on by and try some Real Texas BBQ.  Good name for a joint, Huh? BTW......I have a real beef with these guys charging $20 to $22/lb. for their brisket nowadays when they are paying $2/lb for it.  And they all seem to be following suit.  And then the BBQ isn't worth the money spent anymore.  When it was $12/lb(not too long ago),  if you wanted to try somebody else's fare, then experimenting around didn't cost you an arm and a leg.  Can't hardly afford to do that anymore.  But sometimes we do, and then we regret it.

And while I'm on the subject.......since when did chicken wings equate to a ribeye steak in price, Huh?  There are so many inequalities in the USA now.......Cancun and Playa del Carmen are looking mighty tempting to me.  In fact......with the world class tourist trade there, that would be the perfect setting to establish my Real Texas BBQ house.  And make no mistake about it......I've been doing briskets for over 40 yrs.......and have even extended my culinary repertoire into other areas of tasty sensations.......all self-taught thru years of trials.  And NO.......I have never owned a restaurant or even been in the food business.

How about that, Huh?  Real Texas BBQ, chicken fried steaks w/mashed potatoes and jalapeno cream gravy, fried chicken wings in multiple sauces, meatloaf poblano, and desserts in a Texas-style restaurant in Cancun.......you think I could get some business???  Wifi and sports channels on the tube, along with some of the local tourism trinkets and T-shirts for the hungry masses tired of Mexican fare.

And hats/caps.......what an income stream those are!!  With my logo, of course......free advertising on the beaches and all over town. 😎

Back on topic......I think whoever emerges as the Region 2 winner will have a very nice path to the SC title game. Right now, I'm leaning toward an Argyle/Melissa showdown full of fireworks and scoring......but it could just as easily end up being any possible matchup between the 4 teams playing today........which brings me to this:

HAPPY GAMEDAY EVERYBODY!!!   :football::football::clap::crossfingers::D