Week Eleven: Longview at Tyler

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (6-2, 3-1) vs Tyler Lions (2-6, 2-3)  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Tyler in a close one
    • Tyler in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/05/2020 at 01:00 AM

longview.pngtyler.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (6-2) AT TYLER LIONS (2-6)

DATE: Friday, December 4th
TIME: 7:30 PM
LOCATION: Earl Campbell Field at CHRISTUS Trinity Mother Frances Rose Stadium in Tyler, Texas
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: 106.5 FM JACK FM
TYLER BROADCAST: 97.5 FM KTBB
VIDEO STREAM: KETK.com

longview.pngLOBOS LEAD SERIES 50-39-7 longview.png

The Lions have a 12-8 lead when the game is a non-district contest.
The Lobos have a 42-27-7 lead when the game is a district contest.
The two schools have never played a playoff contest.
The two schools have never played at a neutral location.
The Lobos have a 26-15-5 lead when the game is played at Longview.
The two schools are tied 24-24-2 when the game played at Tyler.
The Lobos have a 19-14-1 lead when the game is played at Rose Stadium.
The two schools have never played on December 4th.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES
09.12.2019 - Longview 42, John Tyler 0 - Rose Stadium
09.14.2018 - Longview 41, John Tyler 13 - Lobo Stadium
10.27.2017 - Longview 28, John Tyler 19 - Rose Stadium
10.21.2016 - John Tyler 38, Longview 24 - Lobo Stadium
09.05.2015 - Longview 31, John Tyler 14 - Rose Stadium
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW
Three weeks of waiting. Three weeks of frustration following a 5 point loss to end a 20-game district winning streak and 20-game home winning streak. After one series, the Lobos let out all three weeks on the incoming McKinney North Bulldogs to the tune of 55-10. Longview's Kaden Meredith led the way, once again, with a near 200-yard rushing day performance and four touchdowns. The win clinched a playoff berth for the 20th consecutive season for the Lobos, who will look to go into the 5A Division I post season as the district's number two seed with a win this week. Meredith's four touchdowns pushes him within two school records that have stood for over 20 years. Meredith is three touchdowns away from tying Fred Talley's 55 career touchdowns, and four rushing scores away from tying Talley's 53 career rushing tallies, set back in 1998. Standing in Longview's way of potential school records is their long time rivals, the Tyler Lions. The Lions have struggle this season, to the tune of a 2-6 season. Tyler's 2 wins are the fewest in a season for the program since the Lions finished 1-9 in 2007. That season, the Lobos and Lions met and Longview struggled all night to the tune of a 10-6 victory. For the two teams, they are confirmed going in opposite directions. The Lobos have clinched a playoff berth, while the Lions will miss the post season for the second time in the last four seasons. The Lions are also assured a losing record regardless of the outcome for the second consecutive season, the first time that's happened since 2006/2007. Last season, Cujo was able to squeak into the post season, only to lose to 40-21 at College Station. Longview's win against McKinney North guaranteed the Lobos a 20th consecutive winning season. The Lobos and Lions will head into Friday's game meeting for the 97th time. While this season won't decide anything other than seeding for the Lobos, the two programs have previously met 18 times for a district crown, the last coming in 2016 when the Lions knocked off Longview 38-24. Last season's victory for the Lobos marked the 50th over the Lions, only the second time the Lobos have registered 50 or more wins against a single opponent. Longview comes into Rose Stadium riding a three-game winning streak over their rivals to the west. The longest winning streak in the rivalry is a 9-game winning streak by the Lobos from 2001 to 2007. Tyler's longest winning streak over the Lobos is four games, that has occurred three separate times. The two teams first met back in 1912, when Longview knocked off Tyler, 13-7, in Longview. The two programs were first set to meet in 1910 in a neutral site contest in Henderson, but the game was later canceled. Despite Tyler's more recent success against the Lobos, Longview is still 14-3 against the Lions in the last 17 meetings. Dating back to 1967, the Lobos have taken control of the series with a 35-15 record against the Lions. More impressively for Longview, the Lobos have not lose to Tyler High at Rose Stadium since 2000, riding an 8-game winning streak in the Rose City against the Lions. No doubt Tyler will be looking to head into the off season with a huge upset while Longview will be looking to set a tone early as the two old programs meet once again.

WEEK TEN 7-5A DIVISION I RESULTS:
McKinney North 10 Longview 55
Tyler 9 Sherman 31
West Mesquite 13 Highland Park 49
Wylie East - BYE

WEEK ELEVEN 7-5A DIVISION I SCHEDULE:
Sherman at West Mesquite (Thursday)
Longview at Tyler
Highland Park at Wylie East
McKinney North - BYE

DISTRICT 7-5A DIVISION I STANDINGS
1st. Highland Park (7-0, 5-0)
2nd. Longview (6-2, 3-1)
3rd. Sherman (4-4, 3-1)
4th. McKinney North (3-6, 3-3)
5th. Tyler (2-6, 2-3)
6th. West Mesquite (1-8, 1-4)
7th. Wylie East (1-6, 0-5)

DISTRICT 8-5A DIVISION I OVERVIEW
Last Week - College Station defeated Waller, 61-21. Lufkin defeated Conroe Caney Creek, 58-0. Magnolia defeated New Caney Porter, 31-6. New Caney defeated Magnolia West, 55-48.
This Week - Cleveland hosts Conroe Caney Creek, College Station hosts Magnolia West, Magnolia hosts New Caney, Lufkin hosts Waller.

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 6-2 (3-1)
District: 7-5A Division I
Coach: John King (185-38 in 17 seasons) (Playoffs: 41-15)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 744-350-52 (Playoffs: 70-42-1)
Playoff Appearances: 45
Last Playoff Appearance: 2019, Class 6A Division II Area Round
State Championships (2): 1937 (1A), 2018 (6A D2)
State Championship Appearances (5): 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1), 2018 (6A D2)
SCHEDULE:
09.25 - v. Temple (in Arlington) - Loss 40-13
10.02 - at Marshall - Win 53-21
10.09 - vs Tyler Legacy - Win 37-14
10.15 - v. Beaumont West Brook (in Lufkin) - Win 51-28
10.23 - vs West Mesquite - Win 49-24
10.30 - at Wylie East - Win 52-17
11.06 - vs Highland Park - Loss 18-13
11.13 - at Sherman - Canceled
11.27 - vs McKinney North - Win 55-10
12.04 - at Tyler

TYER LIONS
Record: 2-6 (2-3)
District: 7-5A Division I
Coach: Ricklan Holmes (71-37 in 9 seasons) (Playoffs: 14-7)
First Year of Football: 1908
All-Time Record: 712-395-41 (Playoffs: 59-32-3)
Playoff Appearances: 38
Last Playoff Appearance: 2019, 5A Division I Bi-District Round
State Championships (3): 1930 (1A), 1973 (4A), 1994 (5A D2)
State Championship Appearances (5): 1930 (1A), 1955 (4A), 1973 (4A), 1994 (5A D2), 2000 (5A D2)
SCHEDULE:
09.24 - vs Texas High - Loss 41-21
10.02 - v. Tyler Legacy - Loss 40-28
10.09 - at Nacogdoches - Canceled
10.16 - at Mesquite Horn - Loss 41-27
10.23 - at McKinney North - Loss 34-24
11.06 - vs West Mesquite - Win 10-3
11.13 - at Wylie East - Win 27-20
11.20 - vs Highland Park - Loss 49-10
11.27 - at Sherman - Loss 31-9
12.04 - vs Longview

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: December 4th
In 1928, Gilmer knocked off Longview, 26-0, at Fair Park in Longview.
In 1931, Carl Smith rushed from 50 yards out and hauled in a 50 yard pass before Jake Smith added a 3rd quarter score as Rockwall defeated Longview, 20-6, at Jacket Field in Rockwall in a Class B Bi-District meeting. Paul Painter’s 30-yard interception return was Longview’s only tally on the night.
In 1936, Lufkin defeated Longview, 12-0, at Lobo Stadium.
In 1942, Lufkin rolled up 271 rushing yards as Les Taylor and Frank McKinney each tallied twice in a 33-0 victory over Longview at Panther Stadium in a 2A Bi-District playoff contest.
In 2010, Mesquite Horn grabbed a 14-0 lead at Independence Stadium in Shreveport before Donterius Jackson, Deontre Wilson and two LaDarrin Robertson touchdowns turned the tide in a 28-14 Lobo victory in the Class 5A Division II State Quarterfinals. The Lobos rolled up 345 rushing yards in the victory.

lobohowl2.GIF

Will update everything after the rest of the games are done.

Only one game currently going on in 7-5A D1. Highland Park is up 28-0 on West Mesquite.

In 8-5A D1, Lufkin leads Conroe Caney Creek 45-0 at halftime. New Caney leads Magnolia, 21-7, at the break. Magnolia is up 21-0 on New Caney Porter at the break. And College Station leads Waller, 34-7.

As far as I can figure out, this is the scenario for 7-5A Division I.

1 - Highland Park can clinch the top seed in the district with a victory tonight. They're up big on West Mesquite, currently.

4 - McKinney North is locked into the fourth seed, and should be traveling to Magnolia in the first round of the post season in two weeks.

So that leaves the 2nd and 3rd seed. Longview and Sherman are both tied at 3-1. The two teams didn't play each other because Sherman got COVID. The Lobos play Tyler to end the season, Sherman plays at West Mesquite on Thursday.

First tiebreaker is common opponents. The only common opponents the two teams have are district games. Both teams, so far, have defeated every team in the district other than Highland Park.

Second tiebreaker is point differential within the district with a 15 point cap on each district games.

Longview has:
15 point max win vs West Mesquite
15 point max win vs Wylie East
5 point loss vs Highland Park
15 point max win vs McKinney North

Sherman has:
15 point max win vs Wylie East
15 point max loss vs Highland Park
9 point win vs McKinney North
15 point max win vs Tyler

So Longview is at +40, Sherman is at +24.

If I'm doing this correctly, Longview only needs to win on Friday to clinch the 2nd seed and host a playoff game in two weeks. A loss by Longview would give Sherman a chance to clinch the second spot. But the ball is all in Longview's court.

37 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Jesus 🤦🏻‍♂️ It was a lose/lose for us either way. But getting our a$$ whooped by a different opponent we’ve never played (hp) would’ve been nice lol 

Y'all's district is crazy.

If Magnolia West and New Caney lose this coming week, they'd drop to 4-4. New Caney Porter has finished the season at 4-4. If Lufkin then loses to Waller, Lufkin would drop to 4-4 and Waller would improve to 4-4.

So we'd have a freakin FIVE WAY TIE for 3rd and 4th place.

21 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Y'all's district is crazy.

If Magnolia West and New Caney lose this coming week, they'd drop to 4-4. New Caney Porter has finished the season at 4-4. If Lufkin then loses to Waller, Lufkin would drop to 4-4 and Waller would improve to 4-4.

So we'd have a freakin FIVE WAY TIE for 3rd and 4th place.

Lmao. Whole district is trash. Throw us all away.

Game thread updated after last night.

For Longview, it's pretty simple.

A Longview win, and they're the #2 seed.

A Sherman loss on Thursday, they're the #2 seed.

A Sherman win on Thursday and a Longview loss on Friday, the Lobos would be the #3 seed.

7 minutes ago, 3rdcoastent said:

So what happens if cujo wins are we pretty much out of it even if they pull of a upset?

Yes. Cujo is already eliminated.

Longview and Sherman sit at 3-1.

McKinney North is at 3-3.

Tyler is at 2-3.

Only team Tyler can catch is McKinney North, but the Bulldogs defeated the Lions earlier in the season so they have the head to head tiebreaker.

33 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

this is a waste of a thread....Lets skip this one and start the LV vs LP annual playoff game thread.

Honestly, I be shocked if Cujo scores a point in this game. I almost bet they don't gain 100 yds of total offense.  

We’re good for a mistake or two a game to give y’all a score. North shouldn’t of had more than a single score.

Last year’s game was largest margin of victory for Longview in the 96 years. Honestly expecting that to be broken again.

Well I wanted this episode to be interesting and say lions have a chance to beat Longview but they will at least play and try but don’t worry the podcast has some good stuff for you guys in Longview and this probaly.the funniest episode of the year with two stories I have to share and a new segment called “how to tell if Longview is losing or winning without looking at the score but just the fans post”.   Tune in ..dang I forget I got make this game 🤦‍♀️