Week Eleven: Longview at Tyler

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (6-2, 3-1) vs Tyler Lions (2-6, 2-3)  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Tyler in a close one
    • Tyler in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/05/2020 at 01:00 AM

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

We can have all the talent in the world at WR and TE, but won't matter much if we can't get the ball to them consistently.

Hoping Grant gets more snaps this week again. I did notice he had another stumble as he's had in every game this season he's played it feels where he's under center and immediately falls like he's been stepped on or something.

Still, just hoping for improvement.

Yeah I hear ya.

As much as I hope I'm wrong...I doubt we will have a 200 yard passing game this year. But I'm not overly stressing about it this year.

It only becomes a huge problem when you get behind the sticks with dumb penalties but ideally, its not the end of the world. With discipline + a solid running game + a solid defense...with 100+ passing yards a game...in our system...its very possible to go deep. Cy Fair and Dekaney come to mind but you have to have all 4 in order to see high success. We had 3 of the 4 against HP....lacked the discipline which is why we ultimately loss. Take away those penalties + the Haynes fumble...we beat HP with a sophomore QB.

Now in a year or two....if the passing attack remains as it is now...then I panic but right now they are what they are. Game managers....not really game changers...which is what they were always gonna be this year.

Have to give em time to develop because the long term potential is there to have a good passing attack no doubt.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ANTI said:

Thats crazy. 

2100+ kids and can't field a Freshmen team.

That's kinda sad but expected. I remember in 01 playing their Freshman team they had a hundred kids just like we did. By the next season, they barely had 40 on the sidelines of JV. Was really sad to see. I guess it trickled down. 

4 hours ago, ANTI said:

Yeah I hear ya.

As much as I hope I'm wrong...I doubt we will have a 200 yard passing game this year. But I'm not overly stressing about it this year.

It only becomes a huge problem when you get behind the sticks with dumb penalties but ideally, its not the end of the world. With discipline + a solid running game + a solid defense...with 100+ passing yards a game...in our system...its very possible to go deep. Cy Fair and Dekaney come to mind but you have to have all 4 in order to see high success. We had 3 of the 4 against HP....lacked the discipline which is why we ultimately loss. Take away those penalties + the Haynes fumble...we beat HP with a sophomore QB.

I completely hear ya. And I agree.

We talked about it that night that we should've won that game vs HP.

My only worry, and we'll find out right out of the gate in probably the 2nd round, is that when we've come up against better than average teams, those penalties rear their head again. Temple and Highland Park are games where we shot ourselves in the foot. No doubt those two teams beat us, but man alive, we made it easier for them with our own mistakes.

But as you said, the game plan we have is there. It's just about executing it. Meredith and Haynes have had to lead us all season long, along with our defense, and just have to hope they can continue it in the post season.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

I completely hear ya. And I agree.

We talked about it that night that we should've won that game vs HP.

My only worry, and we'll find out right out of the gate in probably the 2nd round, is that when we've come up against better than average teams, those penalties rear their head again. Temple and Highland Park are games where we shot ourselves in the foot.

But as you said, the game plan we have is there. It's just about executing it. Meredith and Haynes have had to lead us all season long, along with our defense, and just have to hope they can continue it in the post season.

Yep no doubt.

I know a lot are worried about the QB position but the team discipline is probably whats gonna make or break us this year.

I cant remember but did we finally break the false starts streak againt MN? lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ANTI said:

Yep no doubt.

I know a lot are worried about the QB position but the team discipline is probably whats gonna make or break us this year.

I cant remember but did we finally break the false starts streak againt MN? lol

We still had one then.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

That's kinda sad but expected. I remember in 01 playing their Freshman team they had a hundred kids just like we did. By the next season, they barely had 40 on the sidelines of JV. Was really sad to see. I guess it trickled down. 

There has always been a drop off from Fresh to JV....but in that time frame(early 2000s), that was after Coach Wilson left and the program went downhill.  When Thomas Brooks came in and restored the program, the numbers jumped back up.

The numbers were good when this staff took over.  They had 2 freshman teams very recently.  There are more than enough kids to field a freshman team in the school. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

Now he is running with the notion that it’s just that the kids are not coming out. Like it can never be him as the reason why LOL. 😂😂🤦🏽‍♂️ Reason why our program is going in trash and what we’ve done for the last decade is gonna be all for nothing because the highest person doesn’t even hold his own self accountable, so of course no else is gonna hold them self accountable. 

crazy.  There are about 70-80 kids between Boulter and Moore on the 8th grade rosters. Shouldn't be any issues getting at least 30 kids, which is all you need for a freshman team.

This yr at the Pine Tree scrimmage, I counted between 25-30 kids on Freshman team...but remember there were another 10 between JV and Varsity.  That is more than enough to have a freshman team.  

If numbers aren't there, you have to examine things, because there are enough kids to have 3 teams (fresh, jv, varsity)  in the school. 

19 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Would be the biggest upset in Longview history if that came to happen. Hard finding the biggest underdog for Longview .

As Coach King told the boys this week, the last time Tyler was this bad was back in 2007. State ranked, a team that ended up going to the Quarterfinals, had to have a Lion punter fumble the ball on the 1 yard line to give us a 10-6 win at Rose that night.

Ya never know.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Brahmaball said:

How will playoffs work with the bigger schools are they extending the season?

For 5A and 6A yes.

1st Round: Dec 10-12th
2nd Round: Dec 17-19th
3rd Round: Dec 24th & 26th. No games allowed on the 25th.
4th Round: Dec 31-Jan 2nd
5th Round: Jan 7-9th
State Championships: Jan 15-16th

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, WolverBean said:

That bubba Garret on freshman looks like a stud as well 

Budhha Garrett is a beast.

WR or S...FBS is in his future. I think safety is where he ends up full time for the future...since there are 3 sophomore WRs on varsity now. Wouldnt be shocked if he starts on defense next year.

Was a dominant RB and SS at Foster in MS.

That Freshmen class is nuts. I remember telling people that class was gonna contribute a lot to other sports too. You know there are 3-4 of them playing varsity basketball now as freshmen? CB DK Reese, DE Chris Head and DE/LB Chris Wilder are all varsity basketball players. And I think Budhha Garrett goes to varsity basketball too when football is over.

7 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Budhha Garrett is a beast.

WR or S...FBS is in his future. I think safety is where he ends up full time for the future...since there are 3 sophomore WRs on varsity now. Wouldnt be shocked if he starts on defense next year.

Was a dominant RB and SS at Foster in MS.

That Freshmen class is nuts. I remember telling people that class was gonna contribute a lot to other sports too. You know there are 3-4 of them playing varsity basketball now as freshmen? CB DK Reese, DE Chris Head and DE/LB Chris Wilder are all varsity basketball players. And I think Budhha Garrett goes to varsity basketball too when football is over.

He one the players to be on Varsity this week?

10 minutes ago, WolverBean said:

He one the players to be on Varsity this week?

Yeah, Jay Darensbourg...the 6'2 DE/TE will probably go varsity basketball after football too.

Darensbourg will be a tower. His pops (whose 6'3/6'4) was a pretty good player for the Lobos back in the 90s under Bero.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ANTI said:

Yeah, Jay Darensbourg...the 6'2 DE/TE will probably go varsity basketball after football too.

Darensbourg will be a tower. His pops (whose 6'3/6'4) was a pretty good player for the Lobos back in the 90s under Bero.

Do they allow the lil propane heaters in the gates? Tried to contact LISD but no luck, im trying to be comfortable FRIDAY night watching the game 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JETT said:

Do they allow the lil propane heaters in the gates? Tried to contact LISD but no luck, im trying to be comfortable FRIDAY night watching the game 

I’d be shocked tbh. @LOL would know for certain.

• Thanks 1