Nacogdoches (4-4)(3-3) Vs. Marshall (5-4)(3-3)

Mavchamp

Nacogdoches Vs. Marshall  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Nacogdoches by a little
    • Marshall by a little
    • Nacogdoches in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

12 minutes ago, nacdragon07 said:

If we can play like we did against T high and limit the mistakes I like our chances. 

Dragons have to be feeling good about themselves, for sure.

Gonna go with Nac pulling out the win late in the 4th.

Common opponents: 

Pine Tree
Marshall lost 24-7
Nac lost 34-7

Both lost to PT pretty handily.  Marshall was still in the game at the half with PT leading 10-7, but the Mav offense was completely shut down in the second half.  Nac was down 27-7 at the half and was down by a lot quick.

Whitehouse
Marshall lost 30-22
Nacogdoches lost 35-17

Nac was still in this game at the half with WH leading 14-10 before the Wildcats pulled away for a big win.  Marshall was down 16-0 at the half and mounted a fierce comeback in the 4th.  Marshall had possession to tie late in the game, but was unable to convert.

Texas High
Marshall lost 28-0
Texas High lost 21-17

Nac had a chance to pull off the massive upset....leading in the 4th, but fell short in their final drive.  Meanwhile Marshall was completely dominated by the Tigers.  Mavs still had their chances....inside the Tiger 20 three times and came away scoreless every time.

Jacksonville
Marshall won 42-21
Nacogdoches won 28-18

Both won by double digits.  Both pulled away in the second half.  Nac lead 14-10 at the break before taking control.  Marshall lead 21-14 at the half before scoring 21 unanswered.

Mount Pleasant
Marshall won 26-7
Nacogdoches won 25-23

In spite of the lopsided score, Marshall's offense left a lot of points on the field in this game....it shouldn't have been as close as it was...but MP hung tight.  It was 16-0 at the half.  I have no details of the Nac/MP game.... a little shocked it was as close as it was.

Hallsville
Both won by forfeit 2-0

Overall.... it seems all of our wins and all of our losses were pretty similar outside of two games.  The Nac/THS game was much more competitive than Marshall/THS was.  While Nac slipped by MP, while Marshall won big in spite of the offensive struggles.

16 hours ago, THSfanatic said:

Based on the OL and DL comparison I would have to give the edge to Nac.     But this is a toss-up game 

Please see my post on the East Texas 5A thread.  Nac definitely has the better coaching and that could be the difference.  Marshall's offense has got to show up.

75% picking Nac. 

Wowzers. 

Nothing against Nac.... but considering their lack of playoff pedigree, I’m a little surprised. 

Is it solely based on their performance Vs Texas High?   If it had been a blowout would the picks be different?

I have faith in the Mav defense to keep us in just about any game. 

Just depends which offense for Marshall shows up. 

If the offense that has thrown for almost 2000 yards and rushed for almost a 1000 yards shows up.... I think we win. 

If the offense that we saw Vs Pine Tree or Texas High shows up.... I think we lose. 

The lack of consistency with this offense is mind boggling. 

Even within games.  The first half Jacksonville offense stank. Second half they were on fire.  Same with the Whitehouse game. First half was atrocious offense.... second half.... Mavs could have won that game. 

Great offense Vs New Caney and McKinney North.   No offense at all Vs Longview, Pine Tree, and Texarkana. 

Never seen a Jekyll and Hyde like it. 

Like I said.... our defense will keep us in the game unless the offense betrays them. 

If our “good offense” shows up.... I like our chances.  If our “bad offense” shows up... Nac will likely take it.

Having watch Marshall a couple of times, and seeing what Nac did vs T High, I just think the Dragons are the better team honestly. 

Would my mind be different if I hadn’t watched Nac against the Tigers? Probably. But I still it would’ve been a toss up. I still think it is now.

But Marshall’s offense hasn’t clicked consistently all season. And I think Nac can capitalize enough to bring home the W.

After watching every game Marshall has played and watching Nac vs Texarkana my heart wants to go with the MAVS but due to the offensive Marshall line that spends more time standing and looking around with their hands on their hips than blocking anything and Marshall being heavy out coached I must pick Nacogdoches! I really hope I’m wrong but don’t think so! For what it’s worth, Go MAVS!

Wow.....🤔......does everybody (anybody??) actually think T-High is only 4 points better than Nac??? The only game this year that Nac outperformed the Mavs was the T-High game. As Mavchamp mentioned, the Mav offense has been unbelievably inconsistent...IMO if the Mav offense just plays decent, they win this game....if not, it'll be a LONG offseason.

Regardless, this offense, unless it gets it's act together in a hurry, will get embarrassed in Huntsville......AGAIN......unfortunately I think the same fate awaits Nac if they beat the Mavs. 

This is a tough game to figure out, and the Dragons could very well win this game

Even though Nac was impressive against the Tigers, I just have a hard time believing the lights just suddenly turned on, and don't think that the result of one game outweighs the track record of the previous seven games.

All that being said, Mavs offense plays just well enough to win a close one (but not confident in that pick by any means).  🥺  

1 hour ago, OakRidgeMav said:

Wow.....🤔......does everybody (anybody??) actually think T-High is only 4 points better than Nac??? The only game this year that Nac outperformed the Mavs was the T-High game. As Mavchamp mentioned, the Mav offense has been unbelievably inconsistent...IMO if the Mav offense just plays decent, they win this game....if not, it'll be a LONG offseason.

Regardless, this offense, unless it gets it's act together in a hurry, will get embarrassed in Huntsville......AGAIN......unfortunately I think the same fate awaits Nac if they beat the Mavs. 

This is a tough game to figure out, and the Dragons could very well win this game

Even though Nac was impressive against the Tigers, I just have a hard time believing the lights just suddenly turned on, and don't think that the result of one game outweighs the track record of the previous seven games.

All that being said, Mavs offense plays just well enough to win a close one (but not confident in that pick by any means).  🥺  

Well there are a lot of factors in the T high game to consider. We had two weeks to prepare. T high I believe came in and thought They would hang about 60 on us and leave. 

our defense may not be lights out but we aren’t slouches either.  We can pressure a QB. Our Achilles heel has been the offense putting our defense back on the field too much. 

we’ve also had kids out due to injuries and grades that have returned. 

idk how this week will go for Nac. It seems like whoever makes it will be one and done for the postseason. A win against Marshall would put us in the right step of building a winning program. 

• Like 2

Even in our losses our defense has played well. The PT game was lopsided, but we had the ball on the PT 1 yard line as the half expired that would have had us in the game and received the opening second half kickoff. The theme of our season is missed opportunities on offense. Dropped passes and pre-snap penalties. Our defense has gotten after the opposing QB in every game. Our defense has scored or directly set up a score in all but one game this year. 

Just from reading on here about Marshalls offense troubles and QB, our defense will cause problems for him. We have shut down the opposing running game in every game except WH, and took them until the 4th qtr to get going. 

I like our chances this week, what I like most is that the players making plays are Sophomores and Juniors(outside of our senior safety)

34 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

Even in our losses our defense has played well. The PT game was lopsided, but we had the ball on the PT 1 yard line as the half expired that would have had us in the game and received the opening second half kickoff. The theme of our season is missed opportunities on offense. Dropped passes and pre-snap penalties. Our defense has gotten after the opposing QB in every game. Our defense has scored or directly set up a score in all but one game this year. 

Just from reading on here about Marshalls offense troubles and QB, our defense will cause problems for him. We have shut down the opposing running game in every game except WH, and took them until the 4th qtr to get going. 

I like our chances this week, what I like most is that the players making plays are Sophomores and Juniors(outside of our senior safety)

And a freshman braxton Jones. Who has the chance to be just as good as his brother.

8 minutes ago, nacdragon07 said:

And a freshman braxton Jones. Who has the chance to be just as good as his brother.

Yes!! The other brother Brennan who spent most of the year hurt last year is a Junior and was left 1 on 1 all night against TH has played really well in the secondary.

1 hour ago, Nacwagons said:

Pine Tree says "HELLO" as the Pirates dominated the Dragons on the ground to the tune of 272 yards rushing (7 ypc) and it wasn't Freeman or Sheffield that did the damage but Jr. RB Ethan Morgan that gashed the Nacogdoches defense for 153 yards rushing.

Nacogdoches allowed 360 yards & 20 First Downs overall to PT and it wasn't even a close 34-7 defeat.

While Nacogdoches may be "evenly matched" with this Marshall unit they're not some "shutdown" team on defense by any stretch of imagination.

24 minutes ago, RandyJohnson said:

Pine Tree says "HELLO" as the Pirates dominated the Dragons on the ground to the tune of 272 yards rushing (7 ypc) and it wasn't Freeman or Sheffield that did the damage but Jr. RB Ethan Morgan that gashed the Nacogdoches defense for 153 yards rushing.

Nacogdoches allowed 360 yards & 20 First Downs overall to PT and it wasn't even a close 34-7 defeat.

While Nacogdoches may be "evenly matched" with this Marshall unit they're not some "shutdown" team on defense by any stretch of imagination.

59 yards on 1 play increases that average to 7.2 yards. That's neither here nor there.

I was making the statement that our defense has been a bright spot for us this year, no matter the PT game. Our defense has been put in tough spots all year by our offense. That includes the PT game, with turnovers and dropped passes resulting in short fields.  The turning point of the 2nd qtr vs PT was a dropped pass down the sidelines that would have at least taken the ball out past midfield if not a score. The next play was INT and a PT TD 2 plays later. Not saying Nac would have won against PT, PT was clearly the better team but we had opportunities to at least stay in the game and didn't do it. 

Same thing against WH, our defense played well, offense got inside the WH 20 I think 3 times and scored once due to penalties and mistakes. Defense played well enough to win that one. WH rushed for 254 yards, but on 49 carries. Most of the yardage was the last 7 minutes of the game. Since then the Nac defense has made plays and stopped the run.

Nac defense was all over MP, Jax and I thought played a heck of a game against Texas High. A Texas High team that has blown out everyone else in the distirct. In fact they shutout 2 of the other 3 playoff contenders.  

2 hours ago, RandyJohnson said:

Nobody said we were a shutdown team on defense but I do like our chances. the performance against T high wasn’t a fluke. If they play to their potential they can cause a offense problems. I’m happy for the success of PT I remember when that used to be a easy W in football. We are trying to get to that point where teams respect us.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, nacdragon07 said:

Nobody said we were a shutdown team on defense but I do like our chances. the performance against T high wasn’t a fluke. If they play to their potential they can cause a offense problems. I’m happy for the success of PT I remember when that used to be a easy W in football. We are trying to get to that point where teams respect us.

Exactly, I don't want to just make the 4 seed every 2 or 3 years. I want to be expected to compete for a top 2 or 3 spot. I love seeing PT playing good football, always rooted for them myself.