Buckeyes vs Caddo Mills

GTownballer

Quarterfinals  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• Gilmer Buckeyes
    • Caddo Mills Foxes

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/05/2020 at 01:00 AM

4 minutes ago, BuckNut said:

Gilmer is in the quarterfinals for the 7th time in 10 years.  The other 3 years the Bucks got knocked out in the 3rd round.  

People have really been hard on Gilmer these last 10 years. Realize the standard was set high, but this team has consistently competed well into November for the whole decade. Many other programs would kill to be where they are. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Their defense isn’t close to ours what a insult smh

The Gilmer D gives up 23 pts per game.   Why is that an insult?   If they gave up single digits it would be an A+...they don’t.    Carthage D is an A+ due to 6.7 pts per game.    CM gives up 20 per which is not great.   

1 minute ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Man we give that up to teams like Carthage and Lindale not canton and Sunnyvale that’s why 

CM scores 44 vs.  Sunny, Gilmer scores 31.    We could do this all day.   PG lost to Gilmer by 3, CM beat PG by 4.   What’s the difference, not much.  Gonna be a good one.   

25 minutes ago, BlackShirtD said:

CM scores 44 vs.  Sunny, Gilmer scores 31.    We could do this all day.   PG lost to Gilmer by 3, CM beat PG by 4.   What’s the difference, not much.  Gonna be a good one.   

Yea yea yea, cm scored 44 but gave up 38.  They were a td away from losing.   Never once was gilmer in jeopardy of losing the Sunnyvale game.  You may want to pick a different angle. 

Also Gilmer had I believe two picks in the red zone going in to score in the pg game.  Gilmer has a nice cushion on the scoreboard vs CM. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StangtilDeath said:

Yea yea yea, cm scored 44 but gave up 38.  They were a td away from losing.   Never once was gilmer in jeopardy of losing the Sunnyvale game.  You may want to pick a different angle. 

Also Gilmer had I believe two picks in the red zone going in to score in the pg game.  Gilmer has a nice cushion on the scoreboard vs CM. 

I’m with ya and hoping Gilmer pulls it out but don’t overlook CM.   I don’t think they are great but they are dangerous.   PG thought they were going to be playing Gilmer this week but that didn’t work out so well.

The Buckeyes absolutely HAVE to cut the penalties down.  That is about the only thing stopping this team from being a scoring machine, and having a shutdown defense.  Over 100 yards in penalties is a lot to consistently overcome, but they've done it thus far.  I would just love to see them cut those penalties in half at least.  If they can do that, I don't think there's any other team out there that can stop them except for Carthage.

Caddo Mills is one of those teams that is very disciplined, and do what they do very well.  I think Gilmer is a better team, but they will have to definitely up their intensity, cut their penalties, and execute like they know they can.  Our coaches will have a good game plan for sure, but I do think they will have to make adjustments on the fly, especially in the second half.  The Buckeyes will have to put a full 4 quarters together, and not leave points on the field like they did against Sunnyvale.

Caddo Mills is one of those teams that can score quickly, and at will if the defensive intensity is not maintained.  This game could go either way if momentum is allowed to shift to one team or the other.  The Buckeyes will have to be the ones who set the pace on both sides of the ball.  If the offense finds a rhythm early, and the defense gets consistent stops, Buckeyes win.  If not, it's a toss up.

55 minutes ago, blackflag79 said:

The Buckeyes absolutely HAVE to cut the penalties down.  That is about the only thing stopping this team from being a scoring machine, and having a shutdown defense.  Over 100 yards in penalties is a lot to consistently overcome, but they've done it thus far.  I would just love to see them cut those penalties in half at least.  If they can do that, I don't think there's any other team out there that can stop them except for Carthage.

Caddo Mills is one of those teams that is very disciplined, and do what they do very well.  I think Gilmer is a better team, but they will have to definitely up their intensity, cut their penalties, and execute like they know they can.  Our coaches will have a good game plan for sure, but I do think they will have to make adjustments on the fly, especially in the second half.  The Buckeyes will have to put a full 4 quarters together, and not leave points on the field like they did against Sunnyvale.

Caddo Mills is one of those teams that can score quickly, and at will if the defensive intensity is not maintained.  This game could go either way if momentum is allowed to shift to one team or the other.  The Buckeyes will have to be the ones who set the pace on both sides of the ball.  If the offense finds a rhythm early, and the defense gets consistent stops, Buckeyes win.  If not, it's a toss up.

If Gilmer wins the toss take the ball.  Set the tone early and go score.  Make CM play from behind.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TCU44 said:

All you East Texas homer’s are about to be in for a rude awakening! 

Caddo Mills 45

Gilmer 20

Please, all of you East Texas homer's (including myself, realizing I am not one of you favorite posters on Smoaky), over the last 15 or so years, what region has ruled Texas 4A football (3A until the extra "A" was added)? It was East Texas with either Gilmer, Carthage, Liberty Eylau, and or Pleasant Grove.  Until you CM homers and cow pattie, newly sprung up communities win something, just be silent and take the beating that you eventually have coming.  Does we need to start counting the trophies?

• Like 1
  • LOL! 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

I attended the Caddo Mills vrs PG game as I live in Rockwall. First of all HUGE Crowd....what Social Distancing :)  2nd of All The biggest moment in that game and one of the most bizarre I've ever seen, was when PG forced a 3 and out to start the 3rd. You could feel PG getting ready to blow the game open to 31-14 but as fate had it the Caddo Mills Punter ,into the wind, kicked a line drive into the back leg of the PG defender 8 yards down field. Caddo Recovered it and then went on to score in a 19 play 7 minute drive. It was crazy and definitely had the PG team winded on defense. The PG Defense stayed on the field virtually the entire 2nd half. Sounds a lot like How Gilmer beat PG . There were A lot of questionable calls in the Caddo Mills / PG game both ways but in the end it was just a gutsy play by the Caddo QB running for the TD in the end. Up until the last drive the PG defense really had held him in check running. I almost thought a Hold was going to be called in the middle of the field on his run. It was very very close but the back judge held his flag and maybe it was because they missed a couple during the game. In the end Caddo got the W over a Defending Champion. Now I know it wasn't the same without PGs two defensive stars but nonetheless Caddo Mills did it and deserves credit.  I will take Gilmer in this Regional Final 42-28

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blackflag79 said:

One of the things I noticed was they went up tempo and didn't allow substitutions...Gilmer needs to be able to play hard for 4 quarters....I hope they get a big lead early....

I actually think Caddo may jump out to a lead because Gilmer will make an early mistake...the Buckeyes fall behind possibly by 14, possibly by 20 and are down by 7 to 10 at the half...BUT I think the GILMER BUCKEYES will make some major halftime adjustments, make some early stops along with big plays flying past the Foxes. I think in the end, Gilmer by 14

2 hours ago, blackflag79 said:

I agree; however, I believe several of those “penalties” were non existent. Absolutely the worst umpiring crew so far this season! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SHillBuckeye said:

I agree; however, I believe several of those “penalties” were non existent. Absolutely the worst umpiring crew so far this season! 

It was poorly officiated for sure, but you can't dwell on it.  You have to be able to overcome it.  I watched the game on my DVR, and replayed the penalty calls, and about half could've been legit, but likely wouldn't have been called by most crews.  Two of the pass interference calls were bad calls, along with the unsportsmanlike on both teams.  The unsportsmanlike penalty that was called on both teams should have been on the Sunnyvale player only because he was throwing punches while our player never punched back.  There was also a catch out of bounds on the one yard line that shouldn't have been, along with another out of bounds catch that kept a drive alive for Sunnyvale, and a phantom holding call against Gilmer on an interception that gave the ball back to Sunnyvale.  A few holding calls that weren't called against Sunnyvale kept some drives alive also.  To have a game this poorly officiated this late in the playoffs is inexcusable, in my opinion.  Penalties should be a little more balanced at this level, in my opinion.  At least you would think so.  Having 135 yards (maybe more - I never got the official yardage) against us, and 15 yards against them just isn't right.

BUT, you have to overcome them either way.  The Buckeyes have done that all season.  I would love to see a game where we have 50 yards or less in penalties.  That hasn't happened thus far this season I don't think.

3 minutes ago, jubilant said:

Gilmers announcers were so excited to find out PG lost. I was thinking to myself.........careful what you wish for. I think we are in for a heart stopping dog fight. They ain't going down easy.........but then again,  neither are the Buckeyes.  

Probably just due to how close that last game was! I don't blame them I guess, but I think I'd rather play someone I already know I can beat as opposed to the unknown!