Buckeyes vs Caddo Mills

GTownballer

Quarterfinals  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• Gilmer Buckeyes
    • Caddo Mills Foxes

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/05/2020 at 01:00 AM

Since both teams beat us I'll try and give my non biased opinion.  What makes the comparison difficult is how different the PG offense is from both Gilmer and CM so that makes evaluating their defense against the opposing offense difficult but I'll try.

First- the CM QB is their best player.  I think he is also better than the Gilmer QB - but not that Gilmer QB is not good.  Both teams have very good players at QB.  I just think the CM QB is a bit better and is more well rounded.  I do think that the Gilmer receives are much better than the CM receivers.  I think they are more likely to make an impact than CM and if any team's WR drop a critical pass, it is more likely to be CM.  I'm not sure that either team has an advantage at RB.  Just based upon the two games vs. PG - I don't see an advantage there.  OL - maybe better with CM - but not sure there there is a huge advantage their either.  So - when I look at the big picture.  l give a small advantage on offense to the CM offense over Gilmer's.  

Defense - this is a little harder because I am looking at teams that are playing offenses much different than ours.  but if I am objective, and evaluating the entire body of work against all other opponents - I don't think there is any comparison - Gilmer's defense is much better than CM.  PG had no trouble moving the ball on CM all day except for one drive in the third quarter.  The quick 3 and out bookended by two long drives by CM turned the momentum of the game, but PG was still able to move the ball - even without Logan in the 2nd half.  I've seen Gilmer make more stops against top flight opponents than CM did all year so I have to give them an advantage there.

Gilmer makes just a few stops and pulls this game out.

Gilmer 42-28

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Hawks2021 said:

Since both teams beat us I'll try and give my non biased opinion.  What makes the comparison difficult is how different the PG offense is from both Gilmer and CM so that makes evaluating their defense against the opposing offense difficult but I'll try.

First- the CM QB is their best player.  I think he is also better than the Gilmer QB - but not that Gilmer QB is not good.  Both teams have very good players at QB.  I just think the CM QB is a bit better and is more well rounded.  I do think that the Gilmer receives are much better than the CM receivers.  I think they are more likely to make an impact than CM and if any team's WR drop a critical pass, it is more likely to be CM.  I'm not sure that either team has an advantage at RB.  Just based upon the two games vs. PG - I don't see an advantage there.  OL - maybe better with CM - but not sure there there is a huge advantage their either.  So - when I look at the big picture.  l give a small advantage on offense to the CM offense over Gilmer's.  

Defense - this is a little harder because I am looking at teams that are playing offenses much different than ours.  but if I am objective, and evaluating the entire body of work against all other opponents - I don't think there is any comparison - Gilmer's defense is much better than CM.  PG had no trouble moving the ball on CM all day except for one drive in the third quarter.  The quick 3 and out bookended by two long drives by CM turned the momentum of the game, but PG was still able to move the ball - even without Logan in the 2nd half.  I've seen Gilmer make more stops against top flight opponents than CM did all year so I have to give them an advantage there.

Gilmer makes just a few stops and pulls this game out.

Gilmer 42-28

Thanks for chiming in.  I was wondering if a Hawk fan was going to break it down from their viewpoint.

I know when we played y'all, BT had a couple of INTs -- 1 in the PG end zone, and another in the PG red zone.  He made a couple of poor decisions in that game, but he settled down in the second half and started using his legs and arm to move the ball down the field.

Our defense made some halftime adjustments and made it extremely difficult for the Hawk offense to consistently move the ball, save the one Hawk drive where there was a fumble recovery by Gilmer that was given back to the Hawks.

BT is getting better and better at reading defenses, and making better decisions.  The Black Flag Defense has made it difficult on opponents to consistently move the ball, save maybe a couple of drives a game lately.  They get stops regularly, which is tons better than the last few years.  I like the direction the Buckeyes are heading as a team.  They do, however, need to minimize the penalties and other mistakes to get to the next level.  So far, they've been able to overcome them and get the win.

I know we can't afford to continue to be penalized over 100 yards per game and expect to continue winning against very good opponents.  Caddo Mills has a very good team, obviously.

Like I said before, we will have to get into a good offensive rhythm early and keep the pace for 4 quarters.  I also believe that the Black Flag Defense can get enough stops to help us win.  We will see.  It ought to be a great game to watch between two very good teams.

I knew that CM had nothing for Gilmer. No running game except for the quarterback and then only on passing plays when all of his receivers are running deep patterns.  They like deep pass plays to the flags and deep drags across the middle.  Gilmer's qb is better than Pleasant Groves and they have better dbs than PG.  CM just ran up against a typical Beast Texas team and got their cow patties stepped on!  Beast Texas homer #1!

On 11/29/2020 at 12:22 PM, TCU44 said:

All you East Texas homer’s are about to be in for a rude awakening! 

Caddo Mills 45

Gilmer 20

Please, all of you East Texas homer's (including myself, realizing I am not one of you favorite posters on Smoaky), over the last 15 or so years, what region has ruled Texas 4A football (3A until the extra "A" was added)? It was East Texas with either Gilmer, Carthage, Liberty Eylau, and or Pleasant Grove.  Until you CM homers and cow pattie, newly sprung up communities win something, just be silent and take the beating that you eventually have coming.  Does we need to start counting the trophies?

Ok, a few quick observations:

1. Gilmer had a great defensive scheme for this game. They were in a nickel package almost all night (maybe a couple of times in a dime). They forced the corner with Matthew Burton and had Jett Jones as the QB spy. There were no passing lanes, and for the most part they forced the QB to scramble laterally without being able to turn it up field. Great game plan and great execution. 

2. Gilmer also cut down on the penalties. A bad holding penalty in the second quarter probably took a TD away, but they didn’t shoot them selves in the foot all night long. 

3. Offensively, Gilmer took what CM gave them. The downfield passing game wasn’t working, so Gilmer ran the ball all night at 5-7 yard a pop. Haynes ran all over the CM defense (I would love to see his stats tonight). He’s a sophomore and spent the entire regular season on JV. I wondered all year why he wasn’t on varsity, but he’s playing big when it counts. 

4. I do wish Tennison would just throw it on 4th down.  He has a tendency to take off and run a little too soon. That’s fine on 1st - 3rd downs, but on 4th and 20, just chunk it up. He’s not going to get the yardage with his feet, and there’s always a chance of a big play or PI if he throws it. But that’s really nit picking. 

5. Maybe the play of the game was a great catch on 3rd and long by Mason Hurt. CM had just scored to cut the lead to 17-14. If Gilmer doesn’t convert, CM gets the ball back with momentum. But Hurt reaches out and makes a great snag to secure a first down, and Gilmer goes on and scores on the drive to push it to a 10 point lead. 

overall a great win. Looking forward to next week. 

27 minutes ago, CasualObserver70 said:

Ok, a few quick observations:

1. Gilmer had a great defensive scheme for this game. They were in a nickel package almost all night (maybe a couple of times in a dime). They forced the corner with Matthew Burton and had Jett Jones as the QB spy. There were no passing lanes, and for the most part they forced the QB to scramble laterally without being able to turn it up field. Great game plan and great execution. 

2. Gilmer also cut down on the penalties. A bad holding penalty in the second quarter probably took a TD away, but they didn’t shoot them selves in the foot all night long. 

3. Offensively, Gilmer took what CM gave them. The downfield passing game wasn’t working, so Gilmer ran the ball all night at 5-7 yard a pop. Haynes ran all over the CM defense (I would love to see his stats tonight). He’s a sophomore and spent the entire regular season on JV. I wondered all year why he wasn’t on varsity, but he’s playing big when it counts. 

4. I do wish Tennison would just throw it on 4th down.  He has a tendency to take off and run a little too soon. That’s fine on 1st - 3rd downs, but on 4th and 20, just chunk it up. He’s not going to get the yardage with his feet, and there’s always a chance of a big play or PI if he throws it. But that’s really nit picking. 

5. Maybe the play of the game was a great catch on 3rd and long by Mason Hurt. CM had just scored to cut the lead to 17-14. If Gilmer doesn’t convert, CM gets the ball back with momentum. But Hurt reaches out and makes a great snag to secure a first down, and Gilmer goes on and scores on the drive to push it to a 10 point lead. 

overall a great win. Looking forward to next week. 

Haynes carried 25 times for 202 yards and two touchdowns to lead a Buckeye rushing attack that piled up 340 yards on the ground. Brandon Tennison added 134 yards and a touchdown on 25 carries while completing 13 of 27 passes for 190 yards and two more scores.

Ashton Haynes has truly been a gift this playoff run.  He reminds me of the many Kilgore running backs we see on a regular basis, who just slice right through opposing defenses, over and over and over again and make it look easy.  To look at Haynes, physical build does not grab your attention, but holy cow can he run the football.  Hats off to that young man.  Looking forward to his additional 2 years as a Buckeye.

• Like 1

I was a little disappointed in QB play from CM. I thought this kid was electric.  Aside from a huge run in the 1st half, I didn't see a lot. Passing was mediocre at best. There was no doubt who the best QB on the field was last night and he had a big G on his helmet. 

• Like 2

Caddo Mills is not used to playing this deep in the season.  It is hard for a team that is not a playoff contender every year to keep up that level of play.  Gilmer should have won this game, no doubt, but if they played earlier, I believe it could have been a closer score. Now, if Caddo can come back with another team that is playoff bound next year, they should play better the deeper they get.  Gilmer's defensive line was the difference maker, I believe. They were able to contain the CM QB more than other teams this year. 

10 hours ago, micotrav said:

Caddo Mills is not used to playing this deep in the season.  It is hard for a team that is not a playoff contender every year to keep up that level of play.  Gilmer should have won this game, no doubt, but if they played earlier, I believe it could have been a closer score. Now, if Caddo can come back with another team that is playoff bound next year, they should play better the deeper they get.  Gilmer's defensive line was the difference maker, I believe. They were able to contain the CM QB more than other teams this year. 

Huh?

• Roll Eyes 1