4A Div. 1 Region 2 Final: Paris vs. Argyle

theblueguy

10 hours ago, Parisian said:

Sat down this morning and replayed the first Paris-Argyle meeting and have these random observations:

• Both teams can look back on cleaning up mistakes in execution (turnovers and penalties).  Argyle can certainly point to some missed opportunities on their end.  Paris can point to a muffed punt which set up Argyle's first score, a couple of blown coverage assignments which gave the Eagles two easy TD catches, and a killer scoop&score near the end of the first half that extended Argyle's lead to 21-7.   The only score in the second half came after Paris turned the ball over on a 4th-down gamble at midfield.  Argyle was definitely the better team that night, but the 21-point final margin was misleading.
  • Paris was coming off their district bye week and had two weeks to prepare.  The Cats added the option-pitch to their offense in that game which may have caught Argyle off-guard early, but the Eagles quickly made adjustments.  They pretty much shut down Paris' ability to go wide in the second half and they collapsed the pocket to prevent Hohenberger from escaping on scrambles.
  • If I'm not mistaken, it may have been Tito Bryce's first or second game back from injury.  At any rate, he definitely wasn't 100%.  I watched the Argyle-LaVega stream last night, and he looked like his old self.  That's going to put extra pressure on the Paris defense next week.  It doesn't take a genius to guess that Argyle's game plan will be to pound between the tackles behind that big O-line and pick their spots in the passing game.
  • You always expect Argyle to have the advantage on special teams, but the Cats have to do a much better job on punt returns (assuming there will be opportunities).  They gave up way too much field position in the first game.

As previously stated on here, this has been a one-sided series with Argyle owning an 11-0 edge and average winning margin of 25.4 points since the school's first meeting in 2008.  The realist in me always hopes for a one-score game in the fourth quarter.  That's only happened twice in the series' history.  I just hope the winner goes on to a state title and we're able to look back on this game to say "That was for the state championship."

3 minutes ago, Argyle2014 said:

This game will have a state championship feel to it for sure. I really wish I could stream the Paris/Melissa game to see exactly how that game played out. Something down in my gut is telling me this could be one of those “ edge of your seat “ kinda game. 

I’ll probably be there. Pretty close to me. Should be a really fun environment. 

I watched the LBJ/Calallen Livestream and then the Miller/Boerne Livestream.  LBJ/Miller is gonna be worth the watch.  Andrew Body for Miller is for real, but he also has some very good players around him.  Miller has 3 outstanding receivers and a rhino soph. at RB that's a terror to tackle.  LBJ is the mirror image of La Vega.....huge lines, fast backs, and good QB, and a stingy defense.  The winner of that game should give the Lindale/Kilgore winner all they want and more.  My gut feeling is that LBJ won't stop Andrew Body & Co. from Miller, but might slow them down to keep pace on the scoreboard.  In the end, I think Miller wins it and wins easier the next week to advance to JerryWorld.  It will take a team with a good defense to slow down Miller's offensive onslaught, and then a quick-strike offense to match the scoring.  The guy is just very good, but his big line gives him plenty of time to find his receivers.  I noticed that on many snaps he gets rid of the ball within 3-5 seconds, no joke........accurately and on time to some very quick and very good receivers.  They don't score 70 pts/game by accident or because the competition is milquetoast.......they are the real deal.  Austin LBJ is BIG upfront and on D.......a game between them and La Vega would be a treat to watch. I honestly don't think anyone could legitimately pick a winner between the two.......the similarities between these two teams is eerily nightmarish.  It's like they both have the same coaching staff.  But make no mistake.......LBJ is fast on offense and can score with those speed backs and their great running QB. He's also a magician at the read option like Rauls of LV.......they could be brothers....or maybe cousins.

As far as the Argyle/Paris tilt is concerned.......it all depends on CJ Rodgers.  I don't think Argyle should get into a smashmouth game with the Wildcats that is low-scoring and physical......even though that might happen.  Argyle's strength is its balanced attack offensively and keeping the opponent's defense on their heels guessing what play is coming next.  Versatility is the key against Paris.......they are speedy and athletic.  You have to beat those d-backs somehow, so you have to mix the run and pass all the time.  Their linebackers are very quick side to side and team speed to the ball is excellent.  On offense, the Wildcats have such a good QB leading the action that it's very smooth and therefore very effective for their speedy backs to hit the hole and find success with big gains. Hohenberger is very good at last-second reads of the defense, and can throw it effectively when needed.  He's the 4th back, and is highly capable of big gains on keepers too.  Luckily, Argyle has a very quick and physical defense.......not too big to make them slow.......but  w/enough size upfront and a very good set of linebackers.  The secondary for Argyle is the best in many years.......maybe since the 2013 team.  Lots of sophs play on defense......and by this juncture in the season they are playing like matured seniors.  Argyle is very deep on the bench with lots of players playing each game.  IF CJ gets settled in and has his rhythm.......then look out.  He never quite found his rhythm against La Vega........understandable and maybe that game helps him the rest of the way.  He's really a very gifted QB.

Whichever team wins this game should win the next contest against the Region 1 winner of Canyon/Springtown.  That game should allow the Region 2 winner a chance to open up their offense a little more and cruise to a decisive victory in preparation for a wild and crazy Class 4A Division-I State Championship game that might be as wide-open offensively as we have seen in a while.  I think Paris is peaking offensively at just the right time of the season......maybe those two forfeited games and then their off Bye Week gave them enough time during the season to keep everybody healthy and then broke the season up into two parts to make a very good run at the State Title.  Of course they have to get by the #1-ranked Argyle Eagles first, but at least they are now in a position to get their chance.  They look ready as anybody could expect........they have been considered as a top team since preseason. After you sit back and analyze everything,  I guess Paris is pretty darn good, Huh?  

On 11/28/2020 at 11:00 AM, regaleagle said:

The new McKinney ISD Stadium, huh?    According to Texas Bob's:   Opened in 2018 and seats 12,000 capacity,  very nice large video scoreboard and not sure what kind of artificial turf.......but it looks magnificent.  For an outdoor facility this one is a gem to play a regional final, for sure......esp. at the 4A level and Covid restrictions.  So about 6,000 at half capacity should make for a pretty darn exciting game for both schools.  I just hope they will allow the bands from BOTH schools to be in the stands playing away.  I kinda miss that part of the games.  Anybody know who is home team?  

I went to see Southlake and Duncanville play at this stadium last season.  It was outstanding.  No track and you are right on top of the field.  Video screen isn't exactly Jerry World but you won't find a better one for a HS stadium.  Plenty of parking too for this game.  Kinda fun playing on Saturday too.  Gives me a chance to go see Graham vs Celina.

• Like 1

If Paris ran a pro style offense or something not so predictable they could be a perennial contender, because they do have the athletes to matchup with anyone in 4A.

The antiquated offenses some teams run make sense for those schools (still aggravates me). Teams who don’t have a lot of athleticism year to year and utilize an offense that tries to negate their own lack of speed, etc - I get that.
Paris is one of the schools who needs to install a new scheme, because they have the players who can do serious damage to opposing defenses if they’d just get them into space more often. 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2020 at 11:52 AM, regaleagle said:

Never tried one.......but my heritage on my father's side is mainly Scottish.  My mom's side is mainly Irish(McElroy surname).  Googled it up and there are lots of choices.......got any particular favorites you could suggest?

Balvenie 12 yr old Doublewood

3 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

If Paris ran a pro style offense or something not so predictable they could be a perennial contender, because they do have the athletes to matchup with anyone in 4A.

The antiquated offenses some teams run make sense for those schools (still aggravates me). Teams who don’t have a lot of athleticism year to year and utilize an offense that tries to negate their own lack of speed, etc - I get that.
Paris is one of the schools who needs to install a new scheme, because they have the players who can do serious damage to opposing defenses if they’d just get them into space more often. 

They are playing in the 4th round so it seems to be working for them this year. Last time they played Argyle, they just turned it over and shot themselves in the foot. Could be a closer game this time around.

2 hours ago, GoodOleBoy73 said:

They are playing in the 4th round so it seems to be working for them this year. Last time they played Argyle, they just turned it over and shot themselves in the foot. Could be a closer game this time around.

I do concede the wing t or an offense like Paris runs can win a state championship, because teams just aren’t used to defending it anymore. Also, if you have supreme athletes executing it the results would be even better than a bunch of running backs with 4.8 speed like most teams who run such offenses have.

However, you just have to stretch the defense or have the ability to do so in order to maximize the results of that rushing attack. This is what Pleasant Grove had done so well the last couple of years with Ben Harmon at QB. They possessed enough passing threat to keep defenses from only ever having to think about which guy would be handed the ball next.

Paris also has the players to be able to run a much more aggressive offense. 

6 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

If Argyle or Carthage would loan us their offensive lines, I'm sure the Paris coaches would be glad to switch back to a spread attack (which is what they ran until mid-2018).  Right now, they're making do with a line that barely averages 200 pounds soaking wet.  The offense works because everyone, including the O-line, are Cat quick and aggressive off the snap.  Put them in pass-blocking mode, and it's a disaster. 

Rogers is an excellent passer for Argyle, but he has all day to find a receiver.  Hohenberger is scrambling for his life on every play, but he still creates enough in the passing game to keep defenses honest.

14 minutes ago, Parisian said:

If Argyle or Carthage would loan us their offensive lines, I'm sure the Paris coaches would be glad to switch back to a spread attack (which is what they ran until mid-2018).  Right now, they're making do with a line that barely averages 200 pounds soaking wet.  The offense works because everyone, including the O-line, are Cat quick and aggressive off the snap.  Put them in pass-blocking mode, and it's a disaster. 

Rogers is an excellent passer for Argyle, but he has all day to find a receiver.  Hohenberger is scrambling for his life on every play, but he still creates enough in the passing game to keep defenses honest.

Ok, well, I thought y’all had a little more size on the OL than that. You gotta do what you gotta do to win as many games as possible.

Good luck against the Argonauts!

Looks like the weather forecast for Saturday evening in McKinney will be clear from a sunny day, but kinda cold.  Winds from the NW at 5-10 mph, so not unlike the conditions last Friday night, except not as windy.  Colder for the fans in the stands and guys on the bench than for the players actually playing on the field, for sure.  There should not be any wind chill in this game.......it's gonna be nice.......a little cold in the stands.

• Like 1

Sounds like a game perfect for the Argyle offense.......not much wind, clear, in a nice stadium for football only, the fans right on top of the action, and Argyle as home team.  I look for Argyle to really mix it up on offense on Saturday........Byce, Baker, and Scoggins.......Kirkpatrick, Cash Walker, Hayden Stewart, and Jasper Lott all getting the ball one way or the other.  There's a few more too, but these are the main characters in the drama.  Come on by and get a ticket........get some popcorn and watch some exciting football on Saturday night in McKinney at a great stadium made just for that purpose. Should be plenty of seating available.

2 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Sounds like a game perfect for the Argyle offense.......not much wind, clear, in a nice stadium for football only, the fans right on top of the action, and Argyle as home team.  I look for Argyle to really mix it up on offense on Saturday........Byce, Baker, and Scoggins.......Kirkpatrick, Cash Walker, Hayden Stewart, and Jasper Lott all getting the ball one way or the other.  There's a few more too, but these are the main characters in the drama.  Come on by and get a ticket........get some popcorn and watch some exciting football on Saturday night in McKinney at a great stadium made just for that purpose. Should be plenty of seating available.

Thinking I will attend. Ended up not going to the LV/Argyle game in Joshua. 
Carthage plays in Midlothian on Friday and then Argyle/Paris in McKinney on Saturday.

Yep........that's what makes for a good weekend of football when you can see Carthage/China Spring in one regional final on Friday night and see Argyle/Paris in another regional final on Saturday night......even though they are in separate divisions.  My direct blood relative is the QB for China Spring......Major Bowden......just to let you know.  I think his great-grandfather and my grandfather were either brothers or cousins.......I don't have anyone that could straighten that out for me right now.  Most of the Bowdens were in Quinlan and North Texas back in the 20's and 30's on forward.  They all came from the Bowden Plantation in Georgia.......which they lost to carpetbaggers after the Civil War. The oldest son was always a doctor, except he got killed by the end of the Civil War........the Bowden in charge of everything on the plantation.  Don't know what happened to all the brothers, but they scattered about.  Bobby Bowden of Fla. State fame was my Dad's age and his direct cousin........so that's another part of the direct family tree. Bobby's sons are the age of me and my two brothers born in the 50's/60's era.  IF you saw my Dad and Bobby standing together......you'd swear they were brothers.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Yep........that's what makes for a good weekend of football when you can see Carthage/China Spring in one regional final on Friday night and see Argyle/Paris in another regional final on Saturday night......even though they are in separate divisions.  My direct blood relative is the QB for China Spring......Major Bowden......just to let you know.  I think his great-grandfather and my grandfather were either brothers or cousins.......I don't have anyone that could straighten that out for me right now.  Most of the Bowdens were in Quinlan and North Texas back in the 20's and 30's on forward.  They all came from the Bowden Plantation in Georgia.......which they lost to carpetbaggers after the Civil War. The oldest son was always a doctor, except he got killed by the end of the Civil War........the Bowden in charge of everything on the plantation.  Don't know what happened to all the brothers, but they scattered about.  Bobby Bowden of Fla. State fame was my Dad's age and his direct cousin........so that's another part of the direct family tree. Bobby's sons are the age of me and my two brothers born in the 50's/60's era.  IF you saw my Dad and Bobby standing together......you'd swear they were brothers.

I think my grandfather was born on the farm in Quinlan in 1899......he lived to be 77. There were either 4 or 5 brothers....... met them all just once at my grandmother's funeral way back when I was little.  Don't remember any of them.  She passed at age 54.