4A Div. 1 Region 2 Final: Paris vs. Argyle

theblueguy

29 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Yep........that's what makes for a good weekend of football when you can see Carthage/China Spring in one regional final on Friday night and see Argyle/Paris in another regional final on Saturday night......even though they are in separate divisions.  My direct blood relative is the QB for China Spring......Major Bowden......just to let you know.  I think his great-grandfather and my grandfather were either brothers or cousins.......I don't have anyone that could straighten that out for me right now.  Most of the Bowdens were in Quinlan and North Texas back in the 20's and 30's on forward.  They all came from the Bowden Plantation in Georgia.......which they lost to carpetbaggers after the Civil War. The oldest son was always a doctor, except he got killed by the end of the Civil War........the Bowden in charge of everything on the plantation.  Don't know what happened to all the brothers, but they scattered about.  Bobby Bowden of Fla. State fame was my Dad's age and his direct cousin........so that's another part of the direct family tree. Bobby's sons are the age of me and my two brothers born in the 50's/60's era.  IF you saw my Dad and Bobby standing together......you'd swear they were brothers.

That’s very cool, and young Bowden looks like a stud athlete. I am looking forward to my football weekend!

2 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

That’s very cool, and young Bowden looks like a stud athlete. I am looking forward to my football weekend!

Yeah......I'll be Livestreaming that one for sure on Friday night.  I think CS has gone as far as they could hope for this season.......they did well.  IF they had somebody else to play like a Gilmer or Wimberley, I think they could have a better chance.  They dropped down too......just about the same enrollment numbers and same number on varsity as Carthage.

I reckon this Paris/Argyle game might be a little low-scoring compared to the Paris/Melissa game.  First off, Melissa didn't have a defense as good as Argyle does........so that limits Paris and their opportunities. Secondly, Paris can't pass the ball as effectively against Argyle if they need to because Argyle's pass rush and front is better.  So they will have to grind out their drives and will be stopped by the Argyle D at times before scoring like last time we met on Nov.6th.  Only 30 days will separate these two games between Paris and Argyle.  The clock will get burned up much quicker in this game with stops and less scoring, for sure.  In fact, that's probably the kind of game that Paris will try to play against Argyle........ball control, slow methodical drives and snaps, and keep away to keep Argyle's offense on the sidelines. I think Argyle will want to throw the ball around and get a 14 pt lead before they go to mainly a ground and pound type game on offense.  They don't mind burning clock either if they have a  2 possession lead in the 3rd qtr.  So this game might move along rather quickly and be relatively low-scoring.  All Argyle cares about at this stage is to win and advance........the less involved the better.

7 hours ago, regaleagle said:

I reckon this Paris/Argyle game might be a little low-scoring compared to the Paris/Melissa game.  First off, Melissa didn't have a defense as good as Argyle does........so that limits Paris and their opportunities. Secondly, Paris can't pass the ball as effectively against Argyle if they need to because Argyle's pass rush and front is better.  So they will have to grind out their drives and will be stopped by the Argyle D at times before scoring like last time we met on Nov.6th.  Only 30 days will separate these two games between Paris and Argyle.  The clock will get burned up much quicker in this game with stops and less scoring, for sure.  In fact, that's probably the kind of game that Paris will try to play against Argyle........ball control, slow methodical drives and snaps, and keep away to keep Argyle's offense on the sidelines. I think Argyle will want to throw the ball around and get a 14 pt lead before they go to mainly a ground and pound type game on offense.  They don't mind burning clock either if they have a  2 possession lead in the 3rd qtr.  So this game might move along rather quickly and be relatively low-scoring.  All Argyle cares about at this stage is to win and advance........the less involved the better.

Bingo!  I'll bet the under on elapsed game time. 

BTW, I see that this game is now on the NFHS network live stream schedule.  It's a monthly subscription service that's easy to cancel and well worth the investment if you're into playoff football, especially this season of COVID-19.  Don't have to mask from my easy chair or sneak in a flask to fight off the chill.  A caveat, however: Sometimes you risk poor broadcast quality or transmission problems (such as with the Paris-Heritage playoff game). 

There's no such thing as a quality Livestream event with NFHS.......only on the taped On Demand replays.  But while the game is in progress......forget it.  I don't understand why Argyle Broadcast Network's livestreams are so perfect, and those guys are amateurs......yet NFHS that is in the business cannot for the life of them have one lousy solid-connection broadcast without hiccups.

Any fans that might have visions of grandeur of a high-scoring game Friday night will most likely be disappointed.  I don't see either coaching staff even interested in this type of game.  Even if Argyle were to somehow get an early 14-21 pt lead, I think coaches would slow it down and try to burn clock.  The Paris side will definitely want to burn clock unless they are losing by a couple of scores.  But they do have the capabilities on offense to score on long runs and breakaways......their backs are speedy once in the open field.  Containment is a big deal against Paris.......their backs will get their yards.  But can they score enough to get on top of Argyle and stay there?   That's the big question.......but they can play some defense, no doubt about that.  But eventually Argyle will score, so it just depends on how much time is left.

The anticipation is growing stronger.......because the days seem to be dragging along. An entire year of work and focus for most of these players and the coaches now at the precipice......they all realize that this regional final is the key that will unlock the door to perhaps their innermost dreams. It really represents more than a year's work and focus......dating all the way back to their first football league when they were maybe 9 or 10 and their heroes were that State Championship 2013 team for Argyle.  Then they watched each consecutive year and lived it with the Argyle teams.......just how difficult it is to reach THE GAME and then what it really means to win it all or get there and lose it......like in 2014 and 2015 against Navasota in 2 OT's and then La Vega in the last minute. These players know......they have lived it.  Not many teams have. I think their resolve is very high just like their anticipation.

9 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Argyle's last 10 seasons records:

2011     14-2

2012     11-2

2013     16-0

2014     15-1

2015     14-2

2016      11-1

2017      12-1

2018      13-1

2019      13-1

And this is season 10 in the count......13-0 so far.  Argyle has made it this far or further 8 times in this run.

12 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Argyle's last 10 seasons records:

2011     14-2

2012     11-2

2013     16-0

2014     15-1

2015     14-2

2016      11-1

2017      12-1

2018      13-1

2019      13-1

That’s a dang good run!

3 hours ago, wtxfootball said:

As a Marxist like most people here, I would prefer Paris winning. But the bourgeoisie may be too strong. 

Sorry to hear about your political ideology preference.........there is no perfection among men.  In this life.......it's the unseen powers that pull the strings. The rest of us follow along......even though some of us can see very clearly.

• Like 1

This regional final will be the last playoff final of the week......all others will be already decided by kickoff.  The Miller/LBJ final kicks at 2:30 on Saturday........just enough time to crown a winner right before the 6 PM kick of this game.  The Argyle and Paris fans will have to languish through all of the other games to finally get the opportunity to watch their teams play for a championship.  The players and coaches will be in a similar mode.......I wonder what kind of effect it might have on this game.  There will definitely be plenty of electricity in the air.......both teams will already know who the opponent of next week's game will be.  All of the cards will have already been dealt......except for this final hand.  A straight flush would be nice for either team......but I'm willing to bet a full house will be good enough.  

Guest Tiger03lb

Argyle to win this by two tds. With Carthage out the way, they should win 4ad1, imo. Seen Argyle play against Waco la earlier in the year and they were a force then, they are probably even better as the season went along. 

According to some Argyle twitters, the Argyle tickets went like hotcakes. Not sure about the Paris allotment, but most likely their fans bought em up too.  Of course there will still be plenty of tickets left over for that stadium size for those that were too late to get a ticket from the allocations to each team.  I'm not sure how much was allocated to each team, but the stadium seats about 9400.  Maybe 4700 (half capacity) was taken up by both teams already.......Argyle could probably sell 3000 no problemo.

22 hours ago, regaleagle said:

According to some Argyle twitters, the Argyle tickets went like hotcakes. Not sure about the Paris allotment, but most likely their fans bought em up too.  Of course there will still be plenty of tickets left over for that stadium size for those that were too late to get a ticket from the allocations to each team.  I'm not sure how much was allocated to each team, but the stadium seats about 9400.  Maybe 4700 (half capacity) was taken up by both teams already.......Argyle could probably sell 3000 no problemo.

I got 1 on the Argyllian side late last night. The nice virtual seat map on ticketspicket showed very few seats left on Eagle side. I'm high up on about the 25-30yd line

I’ll be listening to it on 101.9 in Paris. I tried live streaming the Midlothian game while simultaneously listening on the radio and was pulling my hair out as the live stream was more off than on. 
With some breaks going Paris’s way along with a couple of turnovers we might come up with an unexpected, heartfelt result. 

• Like 1