4A Div. 1 Region 2 Final: Paris vs. Argyle

theblueguy

Well it's crunch time for both teams tonight in McKinney.......should be a hard-hitting contest with some big plays from both sides.  Paris has the athletes to be very dangerous and explosive.  They lull you into a sense of "we got this"......and then WHAM!  There goes Kd Washington or Zykius Jackson for a TD.  Sometimes it's Hohenberger.......the one guy you didn't account for........he's done it many times this season.  And they are sneaky good with the passes......esp. since they don't throw much.  The defensive backfield has a tendency to play in close after a while, and that's when they burn you on the pass.  Their defense is legit.......very quick with great coverage in the secondary and very good on the corners. Good linebackers that are very active and a very good kicker too. They play the field position game well with that kicking game.

Luckily......these two teams have met so many times before that there are no secrets between the two......just execution.  Paris can dig that too.......their offense is all about executing to the nth degree.  They don't try to hide anything......or surprise you much.  They just figure to out-athlete you or get you a little out of position so their speed can beat you.  Trouble is........Argyle is all about execution too.  But they throw in a little bit of guessing with it for the defense.  They have speed at the skill positions too......Argyle is very quick on offense and pretty darn quick and big on defense.......but not too big to be slow at the LOS.  I suspect Argyle will give up some scores to a very good Paris team tonight.  I just hope Argyle can outscore the Wildcats and find plays against their stingy D that will back them off a little.  All Argyle needs is some small spaces to be effective.

My last minute thoughts on this game before heading out to it soon.

It's hard for me to believe that Paris only scored 7 against Argyle a month ago after seeing Paris put up 54 on Melissa, but think the Cats may have had turnover issues, also the matchups and style of paly within the games between these teams so different.

I said last week thought Paris would have to be able to throw the ball effectively to beat Melissa and they did so in the 1st quarter and then never needed to again, running for 450+. Argyle's D significantly better than Melissa so saying again the Cats must be able to throw again tonight to win. Paris does have a stable of very talented backs but Argyle will be keying on them all night. As stated previously the Paris OL not big but they are quick on their feet and use good schemes and technique to give those talented backs a crease. If Cats can't run the ball well they are doomed.

I was not that impressed with the Paris D. Many posts on here were lauding them and I just didn't see it. Melissa ran up 550+ yards offense on them including 321 on the ground. Part of that was because Melissa run 87 offensive plays but still was not impressed. I think the Argyle OL once again dominates the LOS and opens up the playbook more than last week when they were battling against their history with LV.

Game stays close for a half the Eagles claw their way to a 41-23 win...then destroy Canyon next week.

30 minutes ago, bluetopper said:

Bad exchange, Paris fumbles inside Argyle 15. This won’t cut it against a #1 team. 

Yep. Won’t get many red zone trips in this game and to botch one that way is a killer.

Also, great play call by Argyle on the flea flicker on their TD early in 1Q. 

12 minutes ago, Crapola said:

Todd Rogers— humble as ever. 
“Without that 65 yrd quarterback sneak they’d have nothing” 

😌

If memory serves, Paris has some next level athletes. Can never let a team with weapons like that get a spark. 

He ain’t lying. 

10 minutes ago, Crapola said:

Todd Rogers— humble as ever. 
“Without that 65 yrd quarterback sneak they’d have nothing” 

😌

If memory serves, Paris has some next level athletes. Can never let a team with weapons like that get a spark. 

Rodgers is definitely a good coach. He also spent some time years ago hosting a few Carthage fans who went to the Argyle field house to congratulate the Eagles after having knocked Carthage out of the playoffs.
He was gracious and accommodating after the surprise visit, totally on the fly. Rodgers committed to present the team with the gesture of respect those Bulldog fans delivered to Argyle that afternoon and I am certain he did.