Texas Tech HC Rumor With A Huge Grain Of Salt

Stoney

This is the ultimate twitter “fake news” story. Non verified user with “sources.” However, 2020 has been a crazy year and what could be crazier than Briles getting a second( third?) chance out in Lubbock? 

• Like 1

Could this be the equivalent to baiting the waters and watching the reaction?  A planted “fake story” that actually has some truth in it.  

“we are interested but we haven’t contacted him.  If you guys like it, we will do it.  If not, we will stick with Wells.”

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

Could this be the equivalent to baiting the waters and watching the reaction?  A planted “fake story” that actually has some truth in it.  

“we are interested but we haven’t contacted him.  If you guys like it, we will do it.  If not, we will stick with Wells.”

Dude, that's totally what this is. Your instinct is dead-on here. Someone in the admin is gaming the media and the fanbase. Plausibile deniability.

"We were happy with Coach Wells and weren't looking for anyone, but gosh darn it, the fans and alumni were just begging for Briles, so we reached out."   🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

Absolutely. How huge of an outcry will this leak get? Mount Vernon took the huge initial hit on his redemption tour. There was the stink about the recruiting players. Other than that, it’s been quiet for Briles. America loves the comeback as much as they do the tear down. My opinion on Briles hasn’t changed. Tech wants to hire him go for it. You get what you get.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Absolutely. How huge of an outcry will this leak get? Mount Vernon took the huge initial hit on his redemption tour. There was the stink about the recruiting players. Other than that, it’s been quiet for Briles. America loves the comeback as much as they do the tear down. My opinion on Briles hasn’t changed. Tech wants to hire him go for it. You get what you get.

Oh, there will be a stink. Probably a few ESPN reports and op-eds in metro newspapers. The woke-scolds will Tweet about it. But it'll eventualy pass. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LOL said:

Oh, there will be a stink. Probably a few ESPN reports and op-eds in metro newspapers. The woke-scolds will Tweet about it. But it'll eventualy pass. 

Who cares what the scumbags in the "media" have to say about anything??? 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Not saying this will not happen.  But I figure he gets a Power 5 Offensive Coordinator job first.  

Ordinarily, I'd agree. But I feel like the blowback a college would get for bringing him on staff as an assistant would be the same as making him a head coach. His bona fides as a head coach (concerning only on-field exploits) are already well-established. So I don't think he'd necessarily have to "prove himself" as a coordinator first. If (and that's a biiiiig IF) he gets cleared of wrongdoing at Baylor, there's absolutely no reason (from a legal liability standpoint, at least) to put him in charge of the program.

If you're gonna hire Briles at all (and deal with the ensuing ####-storm) might as well just hire him as HC and get it over with. No reason to try to tapdance around it with the "But he's only an assistant coach!" narrative spin. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, LOL said:

If (and that's a biiiiig IF) he gets cleared of wrongdoing at Baylor, there's absolutely no reason (from a legal liability standpoint, at least) to put him in charge of the program.

If you're gonna hire Briles at all (and deal with the ensuing ####-storm) might as well just hire him as HC and get it over with. No reason to try to tapdance around it with the "But he's only an assistant coach!" narrative spin. 

The nerves of bringing him in are what is hindering this I believe. No one is sure that Hocutt has the fortitude to make this move.

As for clearance on his wrongdoing, Baylor alumni are saying Briles and the football program were the scapegoat for a much larger issue. Yes, players were involved, but apparently this is a BIG university problem as a whole and wasn't isolated to the football program. This was a Ken Starr issue for sweeping things under the rug according to a few...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, topher805 said:

In state, Briles could crush at Tech. 

Out of state i could see Auburn, Miami, Florida State, Arizona...

Fun but not likely? UCLA/USC, South Carolina, Virginia Tech...

If Auburn fires Gus, I see Briles and Hugh Freeze at the top of their want list. The style of offense that both guys run would be extremely popular on The Plains. 

3 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

If Auburn fires Gus, I see Briles and Hugh Freeze at the top of their want list. The style of offense that both guys run would be extremely popular on The Plains. 

I think anyone that is desperate to win, and return to "Glory days" will kick the tires on Briles and Freeze. I think they are both out for the B1G, but just about any other conference that has a down marquee team will do their due diligence if they are desperate enough...

That said, I don't have a problem with either getting a second chance somewhere. If Rick Pitino can land somewhere, surely these two can...

• Like 1

On 12/3/2020 at 6:44 AM, Stoney said:

This is the ultimate twitter “fake news” story. Non verified user with “sources.” However, 2020 has been a crazy year and what could be crazier than Briles getting a second( third?) chance out in Lubbock? 

I heard this Jay Leeson is actually one of Donald Trump's twitter alias'...he's planting football stories.

I could see Tech going after the Pirate...back to the future! 🤔

17 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I heard this Jay Leeson is actually one of Donald Trump's twitter alias'...he's planting football stories.

I could see Tech going after the Pirate...back to the future! 🤔

Is little James still locked in the closet? Where did Senator James run off to? Could the Pirate answer these coaches if he came back?

1 hour ago, topher805 said:

I think anyone that is desperate to win, and return to "Glory days" will kick the tires on Briles and Freeze. I think they are both out for the B1G, but just about any other conference that has a down marquee team will do their due diligence if they are desperate enough...

That said, I don't have a problem with either getting a second chance somewhere. If Rick Pitino can land somewhere, surely these two can...

I had no idea Pitino was back coaching at Iona. If you go away long enough for the stink to die down and you get past the initial social outrage over your comeback, coaches like these will always have a career. Somebody’s going to take a chance on them because football wins are the great cure all. A Tech for Briles, an Auburn for Freeze makes sense.