Tyler High

cujoforlife

2 minutes ago, LOL said:

Sure, and I understand that...  I guess I'm just trying to think of what the district could be doing to make TISD seem like the best option for any families who want their student to have optimum success. 

We know why people are taking their kids out of Tisd. Look at the demographics. It's not hard to see. Tisd provides a quality education for everyone. Certain people only want to send their kids to school with certain kids. I have no problem with that. It's your choice. You do what you think is best for your kids. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, VonG said:

We know why people are taking their kids out of Tisd. Look at the demographics. It's not hard to see. Tisd provides a quality education for everyone. Certain people only want to send their kids to school with certain kids. I have no problem with that. It's your choice. You do what you think is best for your kids. 

Yup.  ;) 

55 minutes ago, VonG said:

The coaches didn't forget how to coach. The talent for the last two years has not been very deep. Add in the fact the numbers are down. This is what you get.

If Miller was at JT. I could see 3-4 more wins for JT. Him and Pinkard in the backfield would have been dangerous. Pinkard can throw and run. Miller can run and catch. They would have beat Sherman,  McKinney North, Nac if they played them, Lee, Horn, and possibly Texas High. They wasn't beating Longview or Highland Park regardless. 

Teams load the box against Lee and they still can't stop Miller or Bryson. Lee has 2 1000 yards rushers. Miller has 1500+ yards rushing with 19 rushing tds. He 400+ yards receiving with 10 tds. There is no reason for me to believe he wouldn't have done the same thing at JT with Pinkard being his qb. Pinkard is definitely a bigger threat at qb than Adams at Lee. 

There goes your wins right there. A four star running back with a dual threat qb. Equals a dangerous combination. All JT needed was Miller and they'll have at least 6-7 wins with the schedule they had this year. Lack of talent = lack of wins.

We understand the talent is down. I watched Pinkard group as Freshman, and I could clearly see that.  Most schools have classes with less talent. Heck Longview has had some recently.   

The question is why are the numbers down?    Both feeder schools have enough kids playing football for JT to have at least enough numbers for a freshman team.  The other issue is why aren't kids sticking in the program.  I think there are 17 seniors this yr.  There were at least 40 freshman when this senior class came in.   So not only is this staff not getting players to come out, they aren't retaining the ones they have.    There has to be a reason for this. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, VonG said:

Nothing they can do will keep students from transferring to other schools imo. People love choices. They have alot of that in Tyler. I would like to know what other small city in Texas has that many schools in their city limits. 

Losing students to privates and charters ain't the same as losing football players.  Most of those private/charter kids aren't playing football anyway.  And if they were, there is a 90 to 95% chance they would be playing at Legacy anyway.  I have no problem with the kids leaving TISD, cause at least that keeps Tyler High in 5a rather than 6a. Hopefully more can leave, and Cujo drops to Div.2...lol (although this yr, I doubt they would have made the playoffs in Div. 2 anyway)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

Losing students to privates and charters ain't the same as losing football players.  Most of those private/charter kids aren't playing football anyway.  And if they were, there is a 90 to 95% chance they would be playing at Legacy anyway.  I have no problem with the kids leaving TISD, cause at least that keeps Tyler High in 5a rather than 6a. Hopefully more can leave, and Cujo drops to Div.2...lol (although this yr, I doubt they would have made the playoffs in Div. 2 anyway)

D2 would be the wave LOL 

51 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

Noticed I didn't speak on athletes. I said losing students. Lol said losing athletes. 

Tisd is not losing students to where JT nor Lee will drop down. They are losing a certain race that is being replaced with another race. So they are going to stay put. Matter of fact I wouldn't be surprised if Lee has at least 2600 kids at next realignment. 

On 12/7/2020 at 1:34 PM, ANTI said:

Lack of talent = less wins

Lack of coaching = even less wins

True. This coaching staff has won alot of games before. They can do it again. Let the  kids who want to go to JT go to JT. Let's see what happens. 

12 minutes ago, VonG said:

True. This coaching staff has won alot of games before. They can do it again. Let the  kids who want go to JT go to JT. Let's see what happens. 

In your opinion, the stretch from '12-'18...was all the wins mostly because of talent or the X's and O's?

50 minutes ago, ANTI said:

In your opinion, the stretch from '12-'18...was all the wins mostly because of talent or the X's and O's?

It doesn't matter if it was talent x's or o's. The point is he was winning. You think Coach King winning off sub par talent? Nope. You let us know every year all the talent coming up the ranks in Longview. There is nothing wrong with that. I admire that. I wish we could say the same for Tyler.. You have to have talent to win. You can't win with a bunch of average talent. They might play hard but you won't win.

4 minutes ago, ANTI said:

I think it was a combo of both.  But when you have Greg Ward/Fred Ross or Bryson Smith/Damian Miller, you can do alot of things on offensive side of ball.   When you don't have that talent at QB/WR, you become more limited, so scheme probably has to change.  Hard to run this type of offense with limited qb play.

1 hour ago, VonG said:

It doesn't matter if it was talent x's or o's. The point is he was winning. You think Coach King winning off sub par talent? Nope. You let us know every year all the talent coming the ranks in Longview. There is nothing wrong with that. I admire that. I wish we could say the same for Tyler.. You have to talent to win. You can't win with a bunch of average talent. They might play hard but you won't win.

I hear ya but the point is..you not always gonna have Greg Ward's and Bryson Smith's walking through the door.

When you have a dip in talent, you have to have the coaching (X's and O's) to offset it. 

2006, 2014, 2015 and 2016 were definitely dip in talent years for Longview under King and what'd you see? Less wins. But what you didnt see was 2-3 win seasons or missed playoffs.

You can even take a look at a year like 2012 which had the potential of being a banner year for Longview. But we loss our D1 QB with torn ACL, loss our top RB...had injuries on defense and OL....still went 3 rounds.

2017...lot of potential. But the injury bug hit big time. Loss Jessie Anderson, loss Jacob Johnson...by the time we played Lufkin in the POs that year....we had a JV OL. Still went to the semis.

Heck in 2010, after King loss that Aaron Johnson, Tyler Mccray, Carey Fortson class...Longview still went to the semis.

Outside of the trenches, and LB Isaac...and Dekalen Taylor...Longview's current JR class really isnt all that strong. I think they won 5 games as freshmen. But I bet next year...they win more than that as seniors.

I tell you what King wouldnt do....run a spread offense with non spread QBs. (adjusts to his personnel)

I've never seen him go for it on 4th down while on his own 30 twice...early in a game...like I saw Holmes do vs HP this year.

He also doesnt chase talent away with poor personnel management and other stuff. 

And he believes in self accountability. Look at JK interviews after a Longview loss...its not much finger pointing...he always says something to the tune of "I/we have to coach better"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

I'm still in shock that Holmes called those plays.

remember when Tyler had 4th and 10 at North 10 yd line down by 13 with less than 4 min left in game  and coach decided to kick a field goal. 

Seem like alot of calls that either seem to give up on game or put team in bad position to win it.

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

Outside of the trenches, and LB Isaac...and Dekalen Taylor...Longview's current JR class really isnt all that strong. I think they won 5 games as freshmen. But I bet next year...they win more than that as seniors.

Yea, Tyler High current JR class beat Longview as freshman in Longview.

19 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

Yea, Tyler High current JR class beat Longview as freshman in Longview.

Yep. That Longview class is weird.

Dont get me wrong....its a dip in talent like I said. But they had some bad losses earlier on the season....then later in the year... beat that good Lee JR class (who beat JT) and tied with a good Mesquite freshmen team later in the year.

The thing I've always said about that group is that it has good individual talent at spots...but they always played bad together...was inconsistent...making them a bit weak as a group. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, VonG said:

What do all these schools have in common? Highland Park, Aledo, South Lake Carroll, Ennis, Carthage, Allen, Celina, Katy, and I'll even throw in North Shore.

Consistent coaching with genuine desire for their kids to succeed.

Oh.....and alot of hardware to entice kids to want to be a part of a consistently winning program.

14 minutes ago, LOBOFAN84 said:

Consistent coaching with genuine desire for their kids to succeed.

Oh.....and alot of hardware to entice kids to want to be a part of a consistently winning program.

Yeah. Something I wish we could build up to.