Longview Lobos vs Lufkin Panthers  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Lufkin in a close one
    • Lufkin in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/12/2020 at 01:30 AM

longview.pnglufkin.png[

LONGVIEW LOBOS (7-2) VS LUFKIN PANTHERS (6-4)

DATE: Friday, December 11th
TIME: 7:30 PM
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: 106.5 FM JACK FM
LUFKIN BROADCAST: 103.7 FM CBS SPORTS
VIDEO STREAM: TBD

longview.pngLOBOS LEAD SERIES 42-37-4 longview.png

The Lobos have a 11-8-2 lead when the game is a non-district contest.
The two schools are tied at 25-25-2 when the game is a district contest.
The Lobos have a 6-4 lead when the game is a playoff contest.
The Lobos have a 3-2 lead when the game is played at a neutral location.
The Lobos have a 19-15-3 lead when the game is played at Longview.
The Panthers have a 20-19-1 lead when the game is played at Lufkin.
Longview has won the last four meetings with the Panthers.
Longview is 15-5-2 all-time against Lufkin at Lobo Stadium (new), with the Lobos winning the last seven meetings there.
The two schools have never played on December 11th.

AST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES
08.30.2019 - Longview 24, Lufkin 21 - Abe Martin Stadium
08.31.2018 - Longview 35, Lufkin 28 - Lobo Stadium
12.09.2017 - Longview 33, Lufkin 32 - Homer Bryce Stadium
09.01.2017 - Longview 35, Lufkin 16 - Lobo Stadium
08.26.2016 - Lufkin 35, Longview 24 - Abe Martin Stadium
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW:
And so, we meet again. For the first time since 2005, the Longview Lobos and the Lufkin Panthers were not set to face off in the 2020 season. While the teams had agreed to a non-district series prior to realignment, Lufkin being paced in a 9-team district ruined the hope for a game this season. Until, every thing fell exactly the way it needed to so that the two squads could meet for the 84th time. The two squads will face off for the 11th time in the post season, and for the 4th time in the post season in the last 7 seasons. The only season, in the last 7, that the two schools didn't meet when they were in the same class was in 2016. The Lobos have won all three of the previous playoff meetings in those last 7 seasons, including a 28-point comeback in 2014. The last playoff meeting came in 2017, when the two teams traded touchdowns back and forth the entire second half. Before Kamden Perry hauled in a touchdown pass from Haynes King with under a minute to go to bring home the 33-32 victory in the Class 6A Division II State Quarterfinals. The Lobos roll into their bi-district contest with Lufkin on a two-game winning streak that saw the Lobos outscore their opponents 113-24. Their latest victory came over the Tyler Lions, 58-14. The win for Longview was the largest margin of victory in their 97-game series with the Lions, and the 58 points was the first time the Lobos had ever scored 50 or more on Tyler High. Kaden Meredith's three touchdown gave him 55 for his career, tying the school record for most touchdowns in a career. Meredith was pulled after the first quarter, when Longview led 35-0. Longview is entering the playoffs for the 46th time in their history, and the 20th consecutive season dating back to 2001.  The Lufkin Panthers clinched their 23rd consecutive playoff berth, dating back to the 1998 season, with their second best offensive performance of the season in a 56-13 victory over Waller. As Longview has dominated their last two opponents, the Panthers have rolled over their last two to the tune of a 114-13 scoreline. The Panthers were sitting at 3-4 on the season following their loss to College Station (45-21). After a forfeit win vs Cleveland, the Panthers saved their season with back to back wins over Conroe Caney Creek and Waller. Lufkin's 6 wins on the season are the fewest for the Pack since 2014, when the Panthers finished 6-5 following a 43-42 loss to Longview in the first round. Lufkin heads to Lobo Stadium for their 23rd all-time visit. Longview has won 7 in a row over the Panthers at Lobo Stadium, dating back to a 2003 14-0 loss to then #5 Lufkin. Overall, Longview has won 4 in a row over their rivals to the South. And following an 11-game winning streak by Lufkin, Longview has retaken control of the series, winning 12 of the last 16 meetings. The last three contests, however, have all finished as one score games. Last season, Longview rolled into Abe Martin Stadium and grabbed a 24-21 victory over the Panthers for just the second time since 1997. The two teams have faced off 10 times overall in the post season, with Longview winning 6 of the 10. The first playoff meeting came back in 1936, when Lufkin knocked off Longview 12-0 in the old Lobo Stadium. Longview got revenge the next season though with a 19-0 victory at Panther Stadium on their way to the 1937 1A State Title. The two teams wouldn't meet again until 1940, when the Lobos scored two 4th quarter tallies to knock off the Panthers 19-12 at Lobo Stadium. In 1942, Lufkin hosted Longview and ran the Lobos out of the stadium in a 33-0 beat down. In 1947, the Lobos were held to just 52 yards on the day to prove why they were massive underdogs. But it didn't matter as an extra point made all the difference in a 7-6 victory over the Panthers at old Lobo Stadium. The two teams wouldn't meet in post season play again until 2002, when they would meet for the third time that season. At an overcapacity Rose Stadium, Lufkin kicked a field goal in the dying seconds of the game to knock off Longview, 24-21, in the 5A Division II State Quarterfinal. Lufkin would again knock Longview off in 2004, before 27,000+ at Homer Bryce Stadium in Nacogdoches. Longview jumped out to a quick 14-0 lead in the second quarter, and led 21-17 heading into the 4th quarter. But Lufkin's Jovorski Lane was too much as the Panther won 31-21 in the 5A Division II Regional round meeting. Longview and Lufkin would meet at Rose Stadium again in 2014, when the Lobos knocked off Lufkin after coming from 28-point down and completing a two-point conversion with under 40 seconds to go in a 43-42 Lobo win. The two teams would have a rematch in 2015 at Rose, once again, where Longview rolled out with a strong second half in a 31-10 victory. And in 2017, Longview would advance to the Class 6A Division II State Semi-Final after Kamden Perry's leaping touchdown to knock the Panthers out by a 33-32 scoreline. Longview will be hosting fourth consecutive home playoff game as they enter Friday. The Lobos haven't lost at Lobo Stadium in post season play since a 24-14 loss to Bryan in 1984. It'll be a huge rivalry game in the 5A Division I Bi-District round this Friday. Another one in the storied history of their series.

CLASS 5A DIVISION I REGION II BI-DISTRICT GAMES:
12/11 - W5 Denton Ryan (9-0) vs F6 Dallas Bryan Adams (5-4) - C.H. Collins Stadium (Denton)
12/11 - T7 Sherman (5-4) vs R8 College Station (9-1) - Cougar Stadium (College Station)
12/11 - F5 Frisco Wakeland (6-4) vs W6 Lancaster (8-0) - Beverly D. Humphrey Tiger Stadium (Lancaster)
12/11 - R7 Longview (7-2) vs T8 Lufkin (6-4) - Lobo Stadium (Longview)
12/10 - T5 Frisco Independence (4-4) vs R6 Dallas Woodrow Wilson (7-2) - Forester Field (Dallas)
12/11 - W7 Highland Park (8-0) vs F8 New Caney (5-5) - Highlander Stadium (Dallas)
12/10 - R5 Frisco Lone Star (5-3) vs Dallas W.T. White (6-4) - Ford Center at the Star (Frisco)
12/11 - F7 McKinney North (3-6) vs W8 Magnolia (9-1) - Bulldog Stadium (Magnolia)

WHAT’S AT STAKE:
The winner of today’s game game will take on the winner of Lancaster vs Frisco Wakeland in the Class 5A Division I Region II Area Round match up.

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 7-2 (4-1)
District: 7-5A Division I
Coach: John King (186-38 in 17 seasons) (Playoffs: 41-15)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 745-350-52 (Playoffs: 70-42-1)
Playoff Appearances: 46
Last Playoff Appearance: 2019, Class 6A Division II Area Round
State Championships (2): 1937 (1A), 2018 (6A D2)
State Championship Appearances (5): 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1), 2018 (6A D2)
SCHEDULE:
09.25 - v. Temple (in Arlington) - Loss 40-13
10.02 - at Marshall - Win 53-21
10.09 - vs Tyler Legacy - Win 37-14
10.15 - v. Beaumont West Brook (in Lufkin) - Win 51-28
10.23 - vs West Mesquite - [Win 49-24
10.30 - at Wylie East - Win 52-17
11.06 - vs Highland Park - Loss 18-13
11.13 - at Sherman - Canceled
11.27 - vs McKinney North - Win 55-10
12.04 - at Tyler - Win 58-10
12.11 - Bi-District: Lufkin

LUFKIN PANTHERS
Record: 6-4 (5-4)
District: 8-5A Division 1
Coach: Todd Quick (70-34 in 8 seasons) (Playoffs: 6-8)
First Year of Football: 1911
All-Time Record: 708-341-37 (Playoffs: 47-39-0)
Playoff Appearances: 41
Last Playoff Appearance: 2019, 5A Division I Bi-District Round
State Championships (1): 2001 (5A D2)
State Championship Appearances (2): 1943 (1A), 2001 (5A D2)
SCHEDULE:
09.25 - at Tyler Legacy - Loss 70-32
10.02 - at Nederland - Win 31-28
10.09 - at Magnolia West - Loss 37-20
10.16 - vs Magnolia - Loss 26-24
10.23 - at New Caney Porter - Win 38-23
10.30 - vs New Caney - Win 13-7 (OT)
11.06 - at College Station - Loss 45-21
11.20 - vs Cleveland - Win 1-0 (Forfeit)
11.27 - at Conroe Caney Creek - Win 58-0
12.04 - vs Waller - Win 56-13
12.11 - Bi-District: Longview

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: December 11th
In 1937, Hardy Miller, Otto Paul Burandt and Frank Lebus tallied for the Lobos, as Longview defeated Temple with a second half comeback, 19-12, in the Class 1A State Quarterfinal at Lobo Stadium. Longview trailed 12-6 at halftime before Lebus scored the winning tally in the fourth quarter from three yards out.
In 2010, Longview grabbed a 17-0 halftime lead over Denton Guyer before the unthinkable happened. Despite still leading 27-21, and a chance to run the clock out, the Lobos still snapped the ball with 8/9/10 seconds left on the play clock. The Wildcats forced a fourth down with 17 seconds remaining and proceeded to block the punt. Quint Gardener hauled in a 15 yard passing score on the next play, and with the extra point, Denton Guyer would avenged their past two losses to Longview with a 28-27 win over the Lobos in the Class 5A Division II State Semi-Finals.

lobohowl2.GIF

20 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

I’ll tell you what. Waller is no Longview. Lufkin is no Tyler. With that said. Gimmie the lobos by 4+ TD’s lol 

Lol Tyler definitely isn’t Lufkin. We could’ve hung 100 on them by the end of the third if we wanted.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LoboFan07 said:

Lol Tyler definitely isn’t Lufkin. We could’ve hung 100 on them by the end of the third if we wanted.

It’s crazy how bad they have gotten. I do believe we have actually improved a little bit this year. We easily could’ve been in their shoes. We still won’t compete with the lobos tho. I’m thinking 49-21 or something along those lines 

Home from Tyler and was going to get the full thread up, but will get it all posted tomorrow afternoon.

But important things to know...Friday at Lobo Stadium, 7:30 PM.

Winner takes on the winner of Lancaster vs #4 out of 5-5A D1 (no idea if that's been determined yet).

18 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Winner takes on the winner of Lancaster vs #4 out of 5-5A D1 (no idea if that's been determined yet).

Somehow Wakeland made it in as the 4th seed? Honestly don’t even know how that is possible.

3 minutes ago, WolverBean said:

Tough road ahead possible trap game round one then more then likely #3 Lancaster shall see what the boys are made of 

Trap game??  LOL  I know with the long rivalry, there is a need to make this being a playoff game more important, but this is not the year.

15 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

I wish we would have played Tyler this year. I would have liked our chances to beat them for the first time since 1989. 

14 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

What are Merediths stats for the season @LoboFan07

He went over 1,000 last night. I’ll have complete stats probably tomorrow. 22 touchdowns on the season currently.

Outside of the Temple game, he’s been fantastic. HP game, Haynes took over for most part. But Kaden did score our only touchdown that night. 

20 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

He went over 1,000 last night. I’ll have complete stats probably tomorrow. 22 touchdowns on the season currently.

Outside of the Temple game, he’s been fantastic. HP game, Haynes took over for most part. But Kaden did score our only touchdown that night. 

Sheesh. Thanks. I saw where he needs like 1 TD to break talleys record. I imagine he’ll get 3 next week 

19 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Sheesh. Thanks. I saw where he needs like 1 TD to break talleys record. I imagine he’ll get 3 next week 

Its truly remarkable what that dude has accomplished throughout his career at LHS.

Broke freshmen rushing records....had nearly 900 total yards and 13 TDs as a 3rd string sophomore on that 2018 state champ team...then had an All State year in 2019....now about to be the programs all time leading scorer in history.

Keep in mind that he did this in a more pass happy Lobo era and received no where near the carries Talley did.

Now in terms of the past 25 years...I'm in no way saying hes better than Talley (hes 3rd best behind Vondrell and Talley lol) but hes definitely cemented himself on the Mt.Rushmore of Lobo RBs.

You go back to when he was at Judson and I was telling people how great hed be one day. It was very fun watching it all come to fruition.

Taylor Tatum is the next Lobo great after this.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ANTI said:

Its truly remarkable what that dude has accomplished throughout his career at LHS.

Broke freshmen rushing records....had nearly 900 total yards and 13 TDs as a 3rd string sophomore on that 2018 state champ team...then had an All State year in 2019....now about to be the programs all time leading scorer in history.

Keep in mind that he did this in a more pass happy Lobo era and received no where near the carries Talley did.

Now in terms of the past 25 years...I'm in no way saying hes better than Talley (hes 3rd best behind Vondrell and Talley lol) but hes definitely cemented himself on the Mt.Rushmore of Lobo RBs.

You go back to when he was at Judson and I was telling people how great hed be one day. It was very fun watching it all come to fruition.

Taylor Tatum is the next Lobo great after this.

Yeah, the kid is amazing. And you’re right. Y’all were a throwing machine when King was QB and he still has the numbers he has. Truly remarkable. I saw the Tatum kid play in person. He’s special as well. Y’all could probably start him against Lufkin next week and not miss a beat lol 

59 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Damn...22.

It just hit me how close he is to breaking Vondrell's single season record. Jessie got close in 2018.

I thought I'd never see the year that someone breaks records held by freakin Vondrell McGee and Fred Talley in one year. Crazy.

Just now, ANTI said:

Damn...22.

It just hit me how close he is to breaking Vondrell's single season record. Jessie got close in 2018.

I thought I'd never see the year that someone breaks records held by freakin Vondrell McGee and Fred Talley in one year. Crazy.

Jessie broke it in 2018. The state winning score set the record.

https://lobohistory.com/individualrecords/longviewindividual/season/total.html

Haven’t updated after last night still. But everything is up to date other than last night.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Jessie broke it in 2018. The state winning score set the record.

https://lobohistory.com/individualrecords/longviewindividual/season/total.html

Haven’t updated after last night still. But everything is up to date other than last night.

See, I thought so. But I was looking at it earlier and for some reason it had Jessie at 26 and Vondrell at 27. lol

Jordan Moore has left his mark in the Lufkin football record books for passing yards. He is currently in 3rd place for the most passing yards in a season, 2894 in 2019.  Tyler Stubblefield in 2012 threw for 3582 and Kordell Rogers 3088 in 2016 are the only two QBs ahead of him. Reggie McNeal has the record for all time passing yards with 5935.  Moore this year has now passed Kordell Rogers (5221) and Jeremy Claybon (5325) into 2nd place in All Time history with 5366 career yards.

Had the Cleveland game not been canceled and him not being pulled in the Caney creek game after going 3/3 for 140 and 3 TD’s, he would’ve passed Reggie. And he DEFINITELY had the worst O line his whole career. 

• Like 1