Longview Lobos vs Lufkin Panthers  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Lufkin in a close one
    • Lufkin in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/12/2020 at 01:30 AM

9 minutes ago, ANTI said:

See, I thought so. But I was looking at it earlier and for some reason it had Jessie at 26 and Vondrell at 27. lol

I see the confusion.

Jessie has the record for total touchdowns in a season at 28, Vondrell has the record for rushing touchdowns at 27...Jessie 2nd at 26. I was looking at rushing touchdowns.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ANTI said:

See, I thought so. But I was looking at it earlier and for some reason it had Jessie at 26 and Vondrell at 27. lol

Ohhhh, that’s rushing touchdowns in a season. 

Meredith is up to 21 rushing TDs this season. Had that one receiving score in Lufkin vs West Brook.

37 minutes ago, ANTI said:

I see the confusion.

Jessie has the record for total touchdowns in a season at 28, Vondrell has the record for rushing touchdowns at 27...Jessie 2nd at 26. I was looking at rushing touchdowns.

Whoops, should’ve read your reply before I responded lol

I have no clue. I doubt we can cover him 1 on 1. Our defenders haven’t figured out how to turn around when the ball is being thrown lol.. PI every time. We would need to create some pressure. It’s the running game I’m concerned with against Longview anyways. We’ve been better at defending the run than the pass IMO but look at the competition lol.. I was shocked Green figured out new ways to involve every one of our speedy skill guys last night. And it ended up being Jordans best game of the year. Imagine that. Should’ve been doing that ever since Berry got hurt 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

Interesting couple of Lufkin games recently without the RB.  Do Lufkin fans think you guys have anyone who can cover Hale 1:1 that has been pretty solid all year?

Even with Berry, I wouldnt see LP having much success on the ground against this front 7.

LP OL is not very good and the Longview front 7 has shut down every single RB they've faced this season...several who were FBS recruits.

The one advantage that LP may have is Smallwood. He'll be matched up against our sophomore RT Jax Norman. Jax is good, especially for the future but keeping Smallwood in check for 48 mins will be a challenge. Then again, I can see King utilizing the TEs alot to help with Smallwood.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Even with Berry, I wouldnt see LP having much success on the ground against this front 7.

LP OL is not very good and the Longview front 7 has shut down every single RB they've faced this season...several who were FBS recruits.

The one advantage that LP may have is Smallwood. He'll be matched up against our sophomore RT Jax Norman. Jax is good, especially for the future but keeping Smallwood in check for 48 mins will be a challenge. Then again, I can see King utilizing the TEs alot to help with Smallwood.

We won’t even try to run against Longview and they know they can’t. Green and quick proved that last night by letting Jordan throw the ball 50 times. We hardly tried to run at all against waller. Looks to me like he was just letting the QB and receivers practice all night. Bet Jordan throws 50 times against Longview next week too 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kingwolf said:

Interesting couple of Lufkin games recently without the RB.  Do Lufkin fans think you guys have anyone who can cover Hale 1:1 that has been pretty solid all year?

The QB will keep him in check...

4 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

I have no clue. I doubt we can cover him 1 on 1. Our defenders haven’t figured out how to turn around when the ball is being thrown lol.. PI every time. We would need to create some pressure. It’s the running game I’m concerned with against Longview anyways. We’ve been better at defending the run than the pass IMO but look at the competition lol.. I was shocked Green figured out new ways to involve every one of our speedy skill guys last night. And it ended up being Jordans best game of the year. Imagine that. Should’ve been doing that ever since Berry got hurt 

The reason I ask is pretty simple...I don't care how "bad" Lufkin has been this year, they always have speed and are athletic....and they get up for the Longview game.  Hale can mostly outplay those trying to cover him.  In most games where the balls are badly thrown, Hale uses his athletic ability to make up for it.  However, there have been some when the covering defender is solid, he can't always make up for it.  So if Lufkin can cover him pretty well with 1 defender, then they can load the box.  I don't think they stop Longview, but I think they can slow them down enough.  Lufkin throws the ball 50 times a game....hmmm...recipe for a great game. 

4 hours ago, ANTI said:

Yeah, I wasn't worried about their running game...It was interesting to see how they have played the last few weeks.  See a few other posts down about the changes in the Lufkin offense, even if subtle...go watch if you haven't...pretty interesting...at minimum, it may be good drama for the week leading up to the game...

7 hours ago, kingwolf said:

Credit has been solid this year, But I’m sure Hale will still get his yards. He doesn’t really have the size and experience, but we will see..

18 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

We won’t even try to run against Longview and they know they can’t. Green and quick proved that last night by letting Jordan throw the ball 50 times. We hardly tried to run at all against waller. Looks to me like he was just letting the QB and receivers practice all night. Bet Jordan throws 50 times against Longview next week too 

Since it was brought up, after Friday's game, Longview still hasn't given up 1,000 yards rushing this season.

Sitting at 793 given up through 9 games. Tyler had a 72 rushing score against Longview in the 3rd quarter on Friday....still finished the night with just 44 rushing yards.

Last team to rush for over 100 yards was Wylie East (of all teams lol). 5 out of the 9 games, Longview has held the opponent under 100 yards rushing.

1 hour ago, Pack007 said:

If the state champ doesn’t come out of our region, I’ll be shocked. But then again...2020 has been crazy. 

Yeah, the state champ is definitely coming out of Region 4.

• LOL! 1