Jump to content

5A D1 Bi-District: Lufkin at Longview


Longview Lobos vs Lufkin Panthers  

48 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins?

    • Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Lufkin in a close one
    • Lufkin in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/12/2020 at 01:30 AM

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, WolverBean said:

really? how often do we lose in the first or second round we make 3+ more times then we lose in first or second round 

Let's be real, though. When 4 teams make the playoff from each district, it's nothing big to make it to the 3rd round any more. Making the 3rd round can depend on getting a good draw of playing a 2-8 team in the first round and a 3-8 team in the second round. 

Also, we've been bounced in round 1/2 in 3 of the last 6 years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Man, I absolutely can't take this nonsense anymore from our "commentators". Brent Taylor JUST came in whispering loudly, ON AIR to Johnny Vaughn about 2-3 minutes ago, "Wake up! Wake up!" Smgdh.......

Lufkin O Line "Hold my beer"

Its truly remarkable what that dude has accomplished throughout his career at LHS. Broke freshmen rushing records....had nearly 900 total yards and 13 TDs as a 3rd string sophomore on that 2018 s

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Oldetexfan said:

07, One truth doesn't preclude the other!     Or so I have been told about myself!

Touche!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JohnnyFootball said:

 

Also, we've been bounced in round 1/2 in 3 of the last 6 years. 

On the topic of coming up shorter than we should have....how many of those Lobo teams in those 6 years had the juice to really make a run? 

Not 2016. Yes we should've beaten WB but we were no better than them and wouldn't have made it much further anyway....that team sporting the worst Lobo defense I've seen since JK and co came from Louisiana. If your expectations of that team was crazy high, laugh.out.loud. 

Same story with 2014. 2nd worst Lobo defense I've seen in the same time frame. Yes you had Chumley and Hasty but Hasty was hurt all year (like 8-10 others on the roster) and Chumley didn't really love the game of football like that. His SR year was probably the worst version of Chumley from an eye test standpoint. The overall chemistry of that team was never there. 

Shoot, 2013 result was more of a slap in the face than 2014 or 2016 ever was nd that team went 3 rounds deep. That's because that team was at least a semifinal team. Had 3 future NFLers on it. Crazy mistakes from the QB position + other turnovers cost us. 

Now 2019 was every bit of a choke job. Waste of a monster defense. That one fell on the staff, simple personnel management would've gone a long way in fixing the passing game on that team. But nope, SR loyalty.

Now if we lose in the 2nd round this year (to Lancaster) or any round after this for that matter...it'll definitely be because of a stacked region. Wouldn't be a choke job....but losing to Lufkin tomorrow certainly would be. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Yeah... That loss to Jesuit shouldn't have happened (defense uncharacteristically couldn't stop a nosebleed that night). Neither should the Midway loss (2 easy missed kicks in a row). 

Go back even further. Blowing the lead vs West Brook in the first round by fumbling inside their 20. 

Against Consol, 3 fumbles and an INT returned for a TD. 

Against Westlake 7 fumbles and 3 INT. 

Heck, having a punt blocked to deny us state. 

Fumbling twice and not fielding a kickoff against Lake Travis.

Losing to South Garland in 2003 & 2005 (neither should've been close games with our rosters/teams).

Five turnovers vs Lufkin in 2004. 

I get it- we've won a lot of games (can't argue with the results of the 2018 team- they got it done), but we've also lost several that we had no business losing, and I think it was more on us not taking care of business than anything. 

I'm not doubting that we've blown a lot of games that we should've won. I'll be the first to tell you that we should have 3 or 4 more state championships, minimum.

But losses happen. Especially in the playoffs.

We lost by 2 to Jesuit, we lost by 2 to Midway, we lost by 1 to West Brook, we lost by 3 to Lake Ridge, we lost by 2 to Lake Ridge.

Jesuit, we lost because of a missed extra point that led to us going for two twice.
Waco Midway, we lost because of a missed field goal.
Beaumont West Brook, yes we blew the lead and fumbled inside their 10. We also missed a field goal at the end of the game.
Mansfield Lake Ridge, we missed a field goal.
Mansfield Lake Ridge, we missed a field goal.

Those are our last 5 losses in the post season. Is what it is. Doesn't mean we haven't taken care of business more often than not.

Especially going back to your post about this season. Temple, was better than Longview that day. Highland Park was better than Longview that day. I don't think the Temple game would be anywhere near as bad today, and I do think we should've beaten Highland Park. But that doesn't mean we didn't care of business. Both of those teams have a combined 1 losses between them. Both are district champs.

Highland Park is a top 3 teams in this class. I have no doubt if we had beaten them, that we would be seeing them once again in the post season.

Who knows what will happen starting tomorrow night. No one in this class is unbeatable, even Denton Ryan. Lone Stars showed they could be played with, and I feel very confident that we are better than Lone Star this season. So just enjoy the ride and see what happens.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Making the 3rd round can depend on getting a good draw of playing a 2-8 team in the first round and a 3-8 team in the second round.

When have we gotten that draw?

Copperas Cove is the only team we've faced in the last 10 years that didn't have a winning record.

Temple was 8-2. Beaumont West Brook was 7-2. Beaumont West Brook was 9-1 (and we had to travel there despite being co district champions).

The worst two teams we've faced in the last 10 years in the first round was Lufkin who came in at 7-3 and 6-4.

The last time before Copperas Cove that Longview faced that had a losing record was Whitehouse back in 2009, and that game was over at halftime. And the only reason we lost to Cove, was because Temple dodged us and lost on purpose to Cove so that wouldn't have to come to Lobo.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HobieKat said:

According to the official Longview Lobo Football website (lobosfootball.com)....

"Watch Lobos vs. Panthers live on Texan Live
The Longview vs. Lufkin playoff game will be streamed live for a fee on TexanLive.com. UIL rules prohibit LISD from providing a free streaming option. Purchase Longview vs. Lufkin game to watch live"

GO LOBOS!

Will also be on NFHS for those who have that instead of TexanLive.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Quick said:

Brother, I agree with you 1000%. Not, to be looking ahead of Lufkin but, I went to MaxPreps just to see what all the hype was about Lancaster only to find out that there is NO hype. This team has a bonafide AR-15 style offense and they DO NOT play.

We could POTENTIALLY be up doo-doo creek without a paddle. I mean, all BS aside. This offense could put us so far behind the 8-Ball SO quick that it ain't even funny. And, I am talking about down 5 touchdowns by halftime. I fear what this Lancaster team is capable of more than I do Highland Park to be completely honest.

Yeah I looked up some of their highlights and they look dangerous. Hopefully its because of the level of competition they play on a weekly basis but it still looked scary.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Highland Park vs New Caney stream for tonight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G8zMWLLimg

Frisco Lone Star vs Dallas WT stream for tonight: https://www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/frisco-independent-school-district/gam0fa3fc5448

Link to post
Share on other sites

Welp, both of these games are over.

I have no idea how Lufkin struggled with New Caney.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Frisco Independence up 37-0 on Woodrow Wilson in the 2nd.

Frisco Lone Star up 20-0 on WT White after 1.

These were the 2 best teams that Lancaster faced in district.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ANTI said:

You know HP doesnt fall under the same rules as the rest of TX lol

Yeah but I wanted every Lobo Fan that has to pay to watch the game tomorrow to know it too! And if it ends up not making a difference this year, next year it might!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

Welp, both of these games are over.

I have no idea how Lufkin struggled with New Caney.

Literally dude. I was watching the first half of HP/NC and was thinking to myself how in the absolute heck did we struggle to put them away. I mean, I know we’re not a great team by any means, but are we that bad? Lol... Guess the Lobos will let us know by halftime tomorrow 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LufkinPack said:

Literally dude. I was watching the first half of HP/NC and was thinking to myself how in the absolute heck did we struggle to put them away. I mean, I know we’re not a great team by any means, but are we that bad? Lol... Guess the Lobos will let us know by halftime tomorrow 

We lost our running back in that one if i remember correctly, but should’ve won by more 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ANTI said:

You know HP doesnt fall under the same rules as the rest of TX lol

Media outlets may not use a third-party web streaming service for live telecasts (i.e. Facebook Live, USTREAM, YouTube Live, etc.)”

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eagleborn said:

Media outlets may not use a third-party web streaming service for live telecasts (i.e. Facebook Live, USTREAM, YouTube Live, etc.)”

 

Welp. They did.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Welp. They did.

That strikes a nerve. YouTube was our preferred stream during regular season. UIL told us it wasn’t allowed in playoffs. Granted we just a lil 3A school and not the UIL Charter school but still. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

To get you in the mood for tonight:

Longview vs Lufkin 2012: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wpjU0pPT8g
Longview vs Lufkin 2014: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNWzuOlU4Dw
Longview vs Lufkin 2015: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqi_HcN2qzg
Longview vs Lufkin 2017: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Doy3vbqN7-M

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

I'm not doubting that we've blown a lot of games that we should've won. I'll be the first to tell you that we should have 3 or 4 more state championships, minimum.

But losses happen. Especially in the playoffs.

We lost by 2 to Jesuit, we lost by 2 to Midway, we lost by 1 to West Brook, we lost by 3 to Lake Ridge, we lost by 2 to Lake Ridge.

Jesuit, we lost because of a missed extra point that led to us going for two twice.
Waco Midway, we lost because of a missed field goal.
Beaumont West Brook, yes we blew the lead and fumbled inside their 10. We also missed a field goal at the end of the game.
Mansfield Lake Ridge, we missed a field goal.
Mansfield Lake Ridge, we missed a field goal.

Those are our last 5 losses in the post season. Is what it is. Doesn't mean we haven't taken care of business more often than not.

Especially going back to your post about this season. Temple, was better than Longview that day. Highland Park was better than Longview that day. I don't think the Temple game would be anywhere near as bad today, and I do think we should've beaten Highland Park. But that doesn't mean we didn't care of business. Both of those teams have a combined 1 losses between them. Both are district champs.

Highland Park is a top 3 teams in this class. I have no doubt if we had beaten them, that we would be seeing them once again in the post season.

Who knows what will happen starting tomorrow night. No one in this class is unbeatable, even Denton Ryan. Lone Stars showed they could be played with, and I feel very confident that we are better than Lone Star this season. So just enjoy the ride and see what happens.

We shouldn't have lost to HP man. Fumbling the way we did. All those false starts... Easily preventable. That's why that lots was so frustrating (same with a lot of those playoff games weve lost over the years).

That said, you think we'd see them again? You see them beating Lancaster and Denton Ryan?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

We shouldn't have lost to HP man. Fumbling the way we did. All those false starts... Easily preventable. That's why that lots was so frustrating (same with a lot of those playoff games weve lost over the years).

That said, you think we'd see them again? You see them beating Lancaster and Denton Ryan?

I don't think we get past Ryan. I think we upset Lancaster, yes. But who knows. 2020 is weird.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

To get you in the mood for tonight:

Longview vs Lufkin 2012: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wpjU0pPT8g
Longview vs Lufkin 2014: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNWzuOlU4Dw
Longview vs Lufkin 2015: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqi_HcN2qzg
Longview vs Lufkin 2017: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Doy3vbqN7-M

Hey, would you tweet that, so I can re-tweet it?  ;) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...