Canadian Vs Gunter, Round 5

THEHARDWAY

State semi-finals  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/11/2020 at 10:00 PM

5 hours ago, Pax said:

Another great year for Gunter.  I will be routing for Canadian next week.  Great game, great team.  Hope for number 6 next year.

Pax what do you think? I was at the Henrietta and Eastland games. I thought Gunter looked almost as good as 2016 and 2018. Who I also saw live both of those years. I haven’t seen Canadian live this year, only video. Gunter looked really polished both games. Do they win against Canadian with both teams having 0 turnovers or is Canadian just one of those teams? 

1 hour ago, wtxfootball said:

Pax what do you think? I was at the Henrietta and Eastland games. I thought Gunter looked almost as good as 2016 and 2018. Who I also saw live both of those years. I haven’t seen Canadian live this year, only video. Gunter looked really polished both games. Do they win against Canadian with both teams having 0 turnovers or is Canadian just one of those teams? 

Not Pax, but each team had uncharacteristic turnovers. Bennett’s first one was a lucky hit by our db. The strip on the other fumble was practiced all week. We knew our line had size/strength advantage, so the goal was to stand them up and try and strip the ball. We had two picks that were horrendous. I think Canadian wins this game 9/10 times, just like in 17 when Gunter would have won 9/10 times. 

It was fun, hope everyone made it home ok!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wtxfootball said:

I agree pretty much with Airitout.  Canadian did have some turnovers as well, and Gunter did have more, but Canadian gets some credit for that.  Gunter was forced out of their game plan and that contributed I think.  I won't put a ×/10 number on it.  Gunter also had a lot of just uncharacteristic miscues; which I would just say had a good chance of making it a better game, but a low chance of changing the outcome.  Canadian was, pretty clearly to me, the better team on the field. I think Gunter would have a decent shot to win that game if they play mistake-free, penalty-free, while still forcing/getting Canadian turnovers, but thats sort of like saying Gunter would have won if they'd only scored more points. All things even, Canadian wins.  

I think Gunter's 2017 team that lost to Newton was Gunter's best team in this run they have been on, and unless something happens, I'd pick them to be in this state semi again next year because they lose almost nobody.  5 or 6 seniors on the entire roster and only a couple starters.  Canadian earned the bragging rights for the next year and I hope both can make it back for a rematch.  

• Thanks 1

Canadian reminded me of the two great Vernon teams DF played in 84/85. Big but athletic. No big slow overweight kids occupying space. Up until the 4th quarter I picked them in the final . Franklins last drive put me to not wanting to bet my own money either way. Should be a good one.  A deep failed scoring drive may decide it.     

1 hour ago, Airitout1 said:

First Downs;26;15

Rushing;241;93

Passing;173;155

Total yards;414;248

C-A-I;14-23-2;10-20-3

Punts-Avg.;1-30;3-30

Fumbles-lost;0-0;3-2

Penalties-yards;6-60;2-20

stats from the game, with Canadian on the left. 

That's about what it felt like.

4 hours ago, BunzT said:

Canadian reminded me of the two great Vernon teams DF played in 84/85. Big but athletic. No big slow overweight kids occupying space. Up until the 4th quarter I picked them in the final . Franklins last drive put me to not wanting to bet my own money either way. Should be a good one.  A deep failed scoring drive may decide it.     

I want to see another great championship game, but I think it’ll be over by halftime. Probably won’t be close, unless Canadian turns the ball over a ton. 

• Like 1

On 12/12/2020 at 1:02 AM, Airitout1 said:

Not Pax, but each team had uncharacteristic turnovers. Bennett’s first one was a lucky hit by our db. The strip on the other fumble was practiced all week. We knew our line had size/strength advantage, so the goal was to stand them up and try and strip the ball. We had two picks that were horrendous. I think Canadian wins this game 9/10 times, just like in 17 when Gunter would have won 9/10 times. 

It was fun, hope everyone made it home ok!

Agreed.  Canadian was the better team this year.  Good luck against Franklin.  I will be there but unfortunately had to get seats on the vistitors side.  I am proud of Gunter's young team making it back to the semifinals.  But they were not quite good enough facing this Canadian team.  I think we will make quite a bit of noise next year.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2020 at 1:08 PM, LSUTigahs said:

I want to see another great championship game, but I think it’ll be over by halftime. Probably won’t be close, unless Canadian turns the ball over a ton. 

It is impossible to know how these teams compare.  But having seen 5 games with Canadian, their system, their coaching, and this year especially their talent I fully expect they will win this game.  And I don't believe it will be close.  They are alot better in person than on video let me tell you.  This is a better team than the one that was one play from beating Newton in 2018, in my opinion.  I do not believe either Waskom or Frankly would beat Gunter, though it is impossible to know that.  Canadian is really good.  The combination of offense and defense in scary.  Gunter was strong in both areas yet struggled in this game.  Sometimes you just have to tip your hat to the other team.

No offense to either Waskom (who I am a fan of) or Franklin.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, GTAlumnus said:

Agreed.  Canadian was the better team this year.  Good luck against Franklin.  I will be there but unfortunately had to get seats on the vistitors side.  I am proud of Gunter's young team making it back to the semifinals.  But they were not quite good enough facing this Canadian team.  I think we will make quite a bit of noise next year.

I think y’all represent Reg 1/2 next year. We will be in the same boat as y’all this year. Very talented, but very young. Looking forward to it though. Our line will be dominant the next two years. Started 2-3 sophomores all year, including #63. Hoping for round 6 next year