Gilmer vs. Graham. State semi-final in Prosper Friday @ 7:00

jubilant

Well Steers it looks like DC is throwing yall a bone this week. They have Gilmer as a negative -2 for this game lol. So they are favoring you. Stepp has us winning by 12. I just dont see this game being that close, but stranger things do happen. Just a little food for thought here. This means nothing just another opinion. GO BUX!!

4 minutes ago, Sbk5280 said:

Well Steers it looks like DC is throwing yall a bone this week. They have Gilmer as a negative -2 for this game lol. So they are favoring you. Stepp has us winning by 12. I just dont see this game being that close, but stranger things do happen. Just a little food for thought here. This means nothing just another opinion. GO BUX!!

Calpreps has Gilmer by 6.

DB9132C7-CD89-480C-B0FC-74E1E5E1FE73.jpeg

Yeah these things mean absolutely nothing, but they are fun to look at. Just a good conversation starter lol. I would be really surprised if this was a 1 score game. Not knocking Graham they are a good team. I just dont see they hanging with us all game. 

Pretty sure Graham is not explosive enough to blow Gilmer out.  Gilmer has the capabilities to blow the game out if Graham misses a tackle here or there or has more turnovers. 
I am going with Graham 36, Gilmer 35 - thinking Graham has less mistakes and overcomes being the less athletic team. 

• Roll Eyes 1

45 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Pretty sure Graham is not explosive enough to blow Gilmer out.  Gilmer has the capabilities to blow the game out if Graham misses a tackle here or there or has more turnovers. 
I am going with Graham 36, Gilmer 35 - thinking Graham has less mistakes and overcomes being the less athletic team. 

Nah, Gilmer has this. They are playing at a high level and I think they have what it takes to stop Graham’s offense.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

This one should be good but Graham may have the better offense . Go Bucks

I do not think Graham has the better offense.  I think they have a good QB, but they struggled pass blocking against Celina.  They don't look very big on either line.  They may have a defensive edge, but I am not sure about that either.  

The concern I have is turnovers.  Gilmer's QB has thrown some against the tougher teams on the schedule.  He has been much better in the playoffs.  Graham's defense doesn't seem to get a lot of takeaways, so hopefully it won't be an issue.  That's the only way I see Gilmer losing.

I think Gilmer wins comfortably.  I'm gonna say 10-14 points.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/6/2020 at 2:51 PM, powerlifter said:

looks like this will be more of a offence game you guys a not giving eather team credit for there defence  i take Gilmer 14 points  Defence wins champerships 

Offense & defense are very salty. Special Teams have been playing their hearts out. Bux will be ready

12 hours ago, JBizzle said:

Just about guaranteed a Gilmer win right here.

Graham has forgotten East Texas Speed kills. I have yet to see any team that is anywhere close to the Bux conditioning. Xample...1/2 way thru the 3rd, defense was totally gassed...Tennison ran straight at 'em for 30yards with 7 laying on the grass in his wake...impressive

• Like 1

12 hours ago, buckeyebob said:

Graham has forgotten East Texas Speed kills. I have yet to see any team that is anywhere close to the Bux conditioning. Xample...1/2 way thru the 3rd, defense was totally gassed...Tennison ran straight at 'em for 30yards with 7 laying on the grass in his wake...impressive

I'm going to assume you mean during the playoff run you haven't seen a team close to the Bux conditioning.. Because... 🤔

1 hour ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Man, I guess I'm just old school.  I like paper tickets much better, not to mention they're much quicker than scanning a phone.  I think the Buckeyes will do whatever it takes to win.  If the offense gets into a good rhythm early, I think the Buckeyes start pulling away.  It's good to see the "Black" back in the Black Flag Defense.  A good rhythm offensively and a few stops defensively is what it will take.  I like that there weren't as many penalties in the CM game.  That's a good sign.  There's still points being left on the field.  All the teams from here on out are very good.  We just have to be better.

On 12/8/2020 at 8:48 AM, cotton84 said:

I think Gilmer will win this game by limiting mistakes and having more athleticism on the field.

This has potential to be a great game.

Graham will not be intimidated by Gilmer. The Steers play very hard and their senior-heavy group has a lot of heart. And those seniors literally needed a miracle to keep their season alive last week against Celina. That might have shook them a bit and have given rise to just a bit more focus and edge leading up to this matchup with Gilmer.

The Steers also have plenty of speed — not to the degree of Gilmer, of course, but enough that they can run with the Buckeyes. Graham's defense, especially, has really nice closing speed. You'll be impressed with No. 20, along with their slightly-undersized but speedy defensive line. The LBs are all really good too. They fly to the football, fill gaps quickly and they're all sure tacklers.

Now, that said, the Buckeyes are going to have offensive sets that Graham, quite literally, has not seen this season. Until playing Celina last week, to my knowledge, Graham had not seen anything more than a two-receiver set all season. Celina threw multiple sets at the Steers a week ago, trips, twins, bunch, diamond, double-tight, unbalanced, etc. Graham adapted well, BUT, Celina's play calling is not anything like Gilmer's, so the Steers are going to have to make some adjustments on the fly and figure out how to chew up that green grass in a hurry, because Gilmer's got some dudes that can turn it on as soon as they have the football in their hands.

The Bobcats had some really good receivers (and a couple other good ones that were injured) but we do/did not have the Fluellen's. Those boys are difference makers and they will create some matchup problems for the Steers. I would also say Gilmer's RBs are much more polished than Celina's trio of sophomores, and that will pay dividends. There were times when Celina's RBs had some space, but those sophomores just aren't seasoned enough to know when to be patient and when to put a foot in the ground and explode. It was very evident watching them go up against Graham's senior LBs. Gilmer's running game, I think, will have some success.

Here's the kicker, though. Even if Graham's defense can shut down those passing lanes, even if they can contain the rushing attack, you still have to deal with Tennison, and the Steers don't have anyone that can run with him. Again, Celina's sophomore QB had some success running the football. He's not slow, but he's not going to burn you. But he was able to pick up chunks of yards when he needed to. Tennison is much more seasoned and much more athletic. I think Celina's QB (Noah Bentley) will be a better QB overall than Tennison by his senior year, but that's irrelevant to this game. Tennison has grown tremendously from what I've seen, and he's learned he doesn't have to press the issue, because of how well he can run the football. He's learned he can use his legs, pick up a first down and live to see another set of downs. He will be a big-time problem for Graham.

Now, offensively, Graham has some guys that are not going to blow you away, but they're just good football players. The obvious one is Daniel Gilbertson at RB. Not a burner, but not so slow that you can take him lightly. Runs extremely hard. Tough to bring down on first contact. Good pass-catcher out of the backfield. Reagan Carter at TE/WR is another one to watch. Big, big kid. Physical and has good hands in space. Now, Celina completely shut him down apart from one catch — which just happened to be the only offensive TD the Steers scored against the Bobcats. Matt Lindquist and Tre Alvarez (No. 4, most impressive to me) are other ones to watch. Alvarez is the one who somehow pulled down the miracle throw-and-catch last week to Save Graham's season. Lanham at QB is decent. Big kid. Strong arm. Mostly accurate. But he cannot do much with his legs and he's not going to be the one who beats Gilmer.

Last week, Gilbertson had one good drive against the Bobcats. We came out in a three-man front to try and get an extra body in space against those Steers receivers, and Gilbertson made some hay. But that was the only drive. We moved to a four-man front after that, and our receivers held up really well against Graham's receivers, and we shut down Gilbertson after that. So much so, they moved him out of the backfield and to receiver to try and get him in some open space. He had some big catches, but he's much more effective running the football. It was very evident that Gilberston was not used to getting stopped and popped hard like he was a couple of times. He bounced right back up, but he began running more tentatively after his first drive. If Gilmer is able to bottle him up, it could make for a tough night for the Steers.

Now, having watched Gilmer play several times this year (some big games some not so big) and having watched Celina play all their games, I would take Celina's defense over the Buckeyes right now. That will draw some laughs I'm sure, and possibly some ire from the Buckeye faithful, but I mean no disrespect. Gilmer's defense has a slight edge in speed over the Bobcats, but it's not as much as the folks from East Texas probably think. And I would say Celina's front and LBs are a bit ahead of Gilmer's. The Buckeyes defense — like Celina's was — has been getting progressively better and has been peaking in the playoffs. Celina's defense held the Steers to just one offensive touchdown. The other score came on the opening kickoff. The rest were just field goals, most of which were the result of a turnover or the Bobcats handing Graham good field position. I say that, because I think Gilmer's defense has the capability to similarly limit Graham.

On paper, hard to go against Gilmer. In my head, having seen both teams, it's hard to go against Gilmer. But my gosh, Graham just plays so hard and physical, and has as much heart as I've seen from a team in a long time, that it feels sketchy to pick against them. And like I said, last week's scare might just have shown those seniors how quickly it can end. Perhaps it woke them up a bit more. Gave them the added boost they'll need against Gilmer.

If Graham can keep this game from getting blown open in the first quarter and a half, then watch out. You don't want the Steers to be within a breath of the game down the stretch. Their kicker is MONEY from waaaaay out. I mean, MONEY, and the offense is just efficient enough to be able to give that kid a chance a lot of times. But if Gilmer jumps out early and busts a couple of really long scoring plays, like they have the tendency to do, then it could completely break Graham's back and this one could get out of reach for the Steers.

In the end, I like Gilmer on the account of their sheer athleticism. I think it makes a difference this week. I'll take the Buckeyes by 14. But I'd be thrilled to see the Steers pull it off and serve me some crow. These are two great programs and you guys will have a lot of fun tomorrow night. Graham is a classy bunch. Gilmer is electric. State title appearance is on the line. What more could you ask for? Good luck to both teams! I hope it's a good, clean, hard-fought game that ends with both sides exhausted and no doubt about the final score.

Y'all be safe traveling to Prosper tomorrow!

• Like 2